Options

Iran Deal, the reset.....

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    Let's recap:
    1. JCPOA - gone.  In fact, Iran had committed to sticking to it even after the US pulled out, but after the assassination, they stated they will start enriching again.  And who can blame them?  They need a deterrent to attack, just NK.  
    2. Iraq - shambles.  We've blown up our relationship with the Shia majority in that country.  Reset that relationship.
    3. Troops - we're now adding troops to the region, not bringing them home.  Increase investment of blood and treasure
    4. Allies - alienated, yet again.

So while yes...this morning the chance of war has been reduced from where it was 48 hours ago, it's substantially worse than it was a week ago and infinitely worse than it was 3 years ago.  This is what Trump's presidency has wrought.  

I eagerly await counters to this assessment.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    If you were giving that speech, you’d say the same thing.  I thought it was a brilliantly worded portion of that to be honest. 
    I didn't see the speech. I suppose I should have watched it prior to commenting. out of context it just sounded like saving face to me. 
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  Instead of talking about the speech we talk about whether or not he wears a diaper.  

Eight people commented on the speech. That’s not crickets. Not everyone agrees with you that it was something positive. 
    So what were the negatives? 
    This is like asking someone to tell you what was so negative about the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing. "All is well. Your mom is backing down. If Obama hadn't given her that phone she would have never called the police..."
    Normal, healthy analogy 
    No not normal at all, and neither is anything Trump does or says. Go ahead, if you're married, next time you do something that makes your spouse mad, read a prepared statement from a friend with no investment in the statement. I'm sure it will go well.
    I think being the President and addressing a world-wide TV/Internet audience of millions is a little different than talking your way out of your spouse being mad at you. Of course he's going to read a prepared statement in a situation like this. I hate to stick up for Trump because he's so vile and awful. But some of you guys scrape the bottom of the barrel with your complaints about him. And pjl44 is right, that analogy was pretty strange. But that's what Trump does to some people. A simple speech about the situation with Iran has you equating it to "the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing." Yikes. 
    Right but this is the guy that always pointed out how Obama used telepromters (using his spelling)
    I'm glad he's using a teleprompter.  I"m glad Obama did.  A president speaks for a nation, and therefore the words should be carefully chosen and crafted, not riffed.  My problem with this is the complete folly of the strategy.  So while I can agree with @cincybearcat that I'm glad it's not worse, I simply cannot look at this speech in a vacuum and give him credit.  My God, why did the last week even happen?  The whole episode is absolutely sickening.  And it's not because the general is dead, it's that we've reset the foreign policy with Iran back 20 years.  
    And there are very few people behind the scenes right now.  The ones that were supposed to protect us have resigned.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    If you were giving that speech, you’d say the same thing.  I thought it was a brilliantly worded portion of that to be honest. 
    I didn't see the speech. I suppose I should have watched it prior to commenting. out of context it just sounded like saving face to me. 
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  Instead of talking about the speech we talk about whether or not he wears a diaper.  

Eight people commented on the speech. That’s not crickets. Not everyone agrees with you that it was something positive. 
    This is like asking someone to tell you what was so negative about the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing. "All is well. Your mom is backing down. If Obama hadn't given her that phone she would have never called the police..."
    Normal, healthy analogy 
    No not normal at all, and neither is anything Trump does or says. Go ahead, if you're married, next time you do something that makes your spouse mad, read a prepared statement from a friend with no investment in the statement. I'm sure it will go well.
    I think being the President and addressing a world-wide TV/Internet audience of millions is a little different than talking your way out of your spouse being mad at you. Of course he's going to read a prepared statement in a situation like this. I hate to stick up for Trump because he's so vile and awful. But some of you guys scrape the bottom of the barrel with your complaints about him. And pjl44 is right, that analogy was pretty strange. But that's what Trump does to some people. A simple speech about the situation with Iran has you equating it to "the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing." Yikes. 
    I've been told before that I take things a bit extreme. Oh well, makes it clear how I feel about it. Trump continues to rape this nation and the people of other countries with his actions, so I think it's apropos.
    Well fair enough. As long as you're not one of these unhinged Trump-haters. I worry for them almost as much I worry for the unhinged Trump-lovers. 
    Not unhinged at all. My wife is good at reminding me my analogies are a little much. I'm a bit dark like that.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    It is hilarious how tRump rattled his tiny saber and said we would wipe out Iran if they responded and then, once they respond, he says they backed down.
    I'd rather he be a pussy than a warmonger. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    “These media posts......” I’m embarrassed. Are you? No, some of you sleep better at night because he backed down from a crisis of his own making, got bitched slapped by someone with balls in the White House or pentagon, read a prepared statement and sounded “presidential” but didn’t take questions. Which rubber room did they put him in as he hasn’t tweeted since yesterday’s big announcement of his “address.” And some on here are fine with it and “feel better.” Unfuckingbelievable. 
    And some just bitch about everything.  You are a hoot.
    Are there not tons of shit to bitch about regarding Team Trump Treason and what he and his administration have done to this nation, the constitution and international relations? You don’t seem to understand the long term harm he’s doing. All shits and giggles to you, isn’t it? You should be embarrassed but you’ve been comforted. All that was missing from that speech was a fireplace and a cardigan.
    So being relieved that things didn't get worse means I'm ok with everything trump has done?  This is nonsense.

And what exactly should I be embarrassed about?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Why can't we talk about things about trump without bringing all the other things into it.  Can't anyone here just discuss the current event without extrapolating?

1) I know trump started this mess with a crazy assassination of an Iranian official....not good.  Unsure if there was any real data/reasoning (imminent threats).  I tend to think there were not, other than the obvious fact that he was always working towards potential threats.  But then again, so is Putin.

Regardless of how we go to this point, his words today were at least on point (for the most part) and will allow things to settle down a little.  Just as the Iranian's throwing rockets hoping to not kill people.  So while I'm under no illusion that Iran will actually stop trying to hurt america and especially American interests in the middle east and I am under no illusion that trump is all calm now and won't do something stupid...I feel better than I did before his speech.  Not a lot better, but a little. and at least I don't feel worse.

Start a “Things Trump Does Well” thread.
    Things Trump does well:

1-Irritate the piss out of Halifax

Sorry, I had to. ;)
    Start a thread, please?
    Nah, it would just be bamboozled w whataboutisms and malarkey.
  • Options
    Is there really a teleprompter?  His eyeballs were all over the place and when he does a prepared speech I had seen him not move a lick when he did.

Just curious.
    Is there really a teleprompter?  His eyeballs were all over the place and when he does a prepared speech I had seen him not move a lick when he did.

Just curious.
    yes....either teleprompters or large screens off to the sides
    Ahhh, that makes sense.  Thanks.  I see how he does that side glance thing and here I thought he was being dramatic and posing.

Damn fooled me this time.

You can tell when he goes off the rails too though, that is always a train wreck.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    I've been told before that I take things a bit extreme. Oh well, makes it clear how I feel about it. Trump continues to rape this nation and the people of other countries with his actions, so I think it's apropos.
    Well fair enough. As long as you're not one of these unhinged Trump-haters. I worry for them almost as much I worry for the unhinged Trump-lovers. 
    Not unhinged at all. My wife is good at reminding me my analogies are a little much. I'm a bit dark like that.
    Do your analogies get better or worse after a few ipa s?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    Right but this is the guy that always pointed out how Obama used telepromters (using his spelling)
    I'm glad he's using a teleprompter.  I"m glad Obama did.  A president speaks for a nation, and therefore the words should be carefully chosen and crafted, not riffed.  My problem with this is the complete folly of the strategy.  So while I can agree with @cincybearcat that I'm glad it's not worse, I simply cannot look at this speech in a vacuum and give him credit.  My God, why did the last week even happen?  The whole episode is absolutely sickening.  And it's not because the general is dead, it's that we've reset the foreign policy with Iran back 20 years.  
    And there are very few people behind the scenes right now.  The ones that were supposed to protect us have resigned.
    Right, the pros.  Evidently Pompeo was the big advocate for the strike.  He's been passionately itching for a conflict with Iran from days well before State.  
  • Options
    It is hilarious how tRump rattled his tiny saber and said we would wipe out Iran if they responded and then, once they respond, he says they backed down.
    Me too but what message does that send to the world?  He's a weak pathetic leader.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

Just curious.

Just curious.
    yes....either teleprompters or large screens off to the sides
    Ahhh, that makes sense.  Thanks.  I see how he does that side glance thing and here I thought he was being dramatic and posing.

Damn fooled me this time.

You can tell when he goes off the rails too though, that is always a train wreck.
    Yeah you know he's ad libbing when he repeats words

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    mcgruff10 said:
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  
    I see what you're saying, but what you're really saying here is that he's so terrible that he needs to be praised for reading a prepared speech without taking questions and not royally fucking it up. 
    if the bar is that he actually read a prepared speech and did not take questions from reporters, you people need to raise your bar a little bit. for a president of the united states, reading a speech and not answering questions is basically the bar sitting on the ground. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    Right, the pros.  Evidently Pompeo was the big advocate for the strike.  He's been passionately itching for a conflict with Iran from days well before State.  
    Bad dude dead and two nations have avoided a major confrontation.  Who knows, maybe this will lead to peace?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    Do your analogies get better or worse after a few ipa s?

The best worst could ever be ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

the main negative that i saw is that he fucking lied his ass off in that speech about obama giving iran money. for the thousandth time, that money was iranian money that we were holding. we just gave it back to them. we did not pay them that money as trump would have us believe. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    Bad dude dead and two nations have avoided a major confrontation.  Who knows, maybe this will lead to peace?
    We had peace under Obama.  The peace was broken.  
  • Options
    Me too but what message does that send to the world?  He's a weak pathetic leader.
    I think the world has long received that message.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Why can't we talk about things about trump without bringing all the other things into it.  Can't anyone here just discuss the current event without extrapolating?

1) I know trump started this mess with a crazy assassination of an Iranian official....not good.  Unsure if there was any real data/reasoning (imminent threats).  I tend to think there were not, other than the obvious fact that he was always working towards potential threats.  But then again, so is Putin.

Regardless of how we go to this point, his words today were at least on point (for the most part) and will allow things to settle down a little.  Just as the Iranian's throwing rockets hoping to not kill people.  So while I'm under no illusion that Iran will actually stop trying to hurt america and especially American interests in the middle east and I am under no illusion that trump is all calm now and won't do something stupid...I feel better than I did before his speech.  Not a lot better, but a little. and at least I don't feel worse.

Start a “Things Trump Does Well” thread.
    it would be one post. from me. 

he made animal abuse a felony.

that is the only good thing he has done.

end of that proposed thread.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,093
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

I understand what you are saying. Yes, things can always go worse, so yay, they haven't yet, but the problem for me anyway is that Trump is not the type of person who has ever shown any signs of caring about anything except himself, so no, he gets no credit, praise or acknowledgement until he makes a conscious effort to be a decent fucking human being. I would hold anyone else in my life to the same standard. I'm sorry, for me this reads like an abuser doing the right thing and you asking me to recognize that at least they didn't throw another punch.
    See, I like tbergs's analogies!  They work for me!
    Rape, abuser...for fucks sake it was a speech.

Alrighty then trump sucks, all is bad, Go Blue Team!  Back in line.
    alright, I know what both sides are saying here. but this wasn't just about a speech. let's recap:

-trump orders the murder (YES, IT WAS MURDER) of a foreign military general without any evidence of just cause like they are claiming
    -iran throws a ghost punch, essentially amounting to "back off"
    -trump then makes a speech, saying iran has backed down
    -people praise trump for not fucking this up more/deescalating the situation

in my eyes, the analogies are absolutely apropos. he fucking ordered the murder  of someone, and people are saying using a rape or abuse analogy is EXAGGERATION? seriously?

i get it, some of you think murder is ok as long as it's a "bad guy". yesterday I said that, while I didn't wish for anyone's death, I didn't care if trump dropped dead, and I was a monster. you can't write this shit. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    wearing a diaper. jesus christ. who cares if he does. seriously, some older men have control issues. can you imagine them being broadcast globally?
    He deserves whatever ridicule can be attributed to him.  His people still think Hillary molests children in a pizza joint.
    I just think it's offside to consider making fun of a medical condition as something to be embarrassed about or ok to be ridiculed about. I prefer to mock him for his actions, rather than his appearance or physical/medical issues. 
    If it were anyone else I wouldn't make fun.  But you know for a fact that he would be tweeting about Hillary, Biden, etc. wearing a diaper if the opportunity presented itself.  He deserves everything that can be thrown at him.
    yes, I do know that for a fact. if he starts to suffer from parkinsons, are you going to start waving your arms around in a jerky way when impersonating him too?

I aim higher than that. whether he deserves it or not is irrelevant. I am saying everyone else who suffers from it doesn't deserve it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    There's no doubting that he's a total hypocrite. A dumb one too because many of his hypocrisies can be proven through old tweets of his. So I think commenting that "Trump is a hypocrite that does what he criticized Obama for" would be a pretty sensible post. His speech being tantamount to a "prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing" isn't as sensible. 
    he ordered the murder of someone and then made a speech telling everyone to calm down, because the (in this scenario) victim's family isn't going to do anything about. how is that comparison not sensible?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2020
    because of some of our technology we had advance knowledge that the missiles were incoming
    that was kind of cool i guess. saved some lives.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-knew-iranian-missiles-were-130330752.html
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

• Options
    wearing a diaper. jesus christ. who cares if he does. seriously, some older men have control issues. can you imagine them being broadcast globally?
    He deserves whatever ridicule can be attributed to him.  His people still think Hillary molests children in a pizza joint.
    I just think it's offside to consider making fun of a medical condition as something to be embarrassed about or ok to be ridiculed about. I prefer to mock him for his actions, rather than his appearance or physical/medical issues. 
    If it were anyone else I wouldn't make fun.  But you know for a fact that he would be tweeting about Hillary, Biden, etc. wearing a diaper if the opportunity presented itself.  He deserves everything that can be thrown at him.
    yes, I do know that for a fact. if he starts to suffer from parkinsons, are you going to start waving your arms around in a jerky way when impersonating him too?

I aim higher than that. whether he deserves it or not is irrelevant. I am saying everyone else who suffers from it doesn't deserve it. 
    well....I certainly wouldn't do it in public....but here, yeah I would make fun of him.  He deserves every bad thing that could possibly happen to him.  

• Options
    because of some of our technology we had advance knowledge that the missiles were incoming
    also iran had notified iraq that it was coming.

• Options
    also iran had notified iraq that it was coming.
    Yeah my guess is that Iran knew Iraq would notify the Americans as well.  Last night the Iranians were reporting 30 dead so it was all propaganda.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited January 2020
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    There's no doubting that he's a total hypocrite. A dumb one too because many of his hypocrisies can be proven through old tweets of his. So I think commenting that "Trump is a hypocrite that does what he criticized Obama for" would be a pretty sensible post. His speech being tantamount to a "prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing" isn't as sensible. 
    he ordered the murder of someone and then made a speech telling everyone to calm down, because the (in this scenario) victim's family isn't going to do anything about. how is that comparison not sensible?
    Well, in the rape analogy, the rapist is talking to the family of the victim. In Trump's speech today, he was talking to the American people. Or at least he was from what I saw, because I couldn't watch the whole thing. Was there a point where he addressed the family of Soleimani? Or the Iranian people? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    edited January 2020
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    The wisdom of our decision aside, he was a military leader (who has himself murdered many, many times over) that was killed in a military operation.

Since we apparently have to explain in detail how this differs from tbergs's scenario. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:

You can read what people posted as well as I can. 
    Was just asking your opinion, weird I know 
    I didn’t watch it, nor read about it.  I’m at work. Not going to comment on anything that I don’t have knowledge of. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 
    We had peace under Obama.  The peace was broken.  
    Didn’t Iran shoot do a us drone and seize a British oil tanker last summer?