mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    If you were giving that speech, you’d say the same thing.  I thought it was a brilliantly worded portion of that to be honest. 
    I didn't see the speech. I suppose I should have watched it prior to commenting. out of context it just sounded like saving face to me. 
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  Instead of talking about the speech we talk about whether or not he wears a diaper.  

Eight people commented on the speech. That’s not crickets. Not everyone agrees with you that it was something positive. 
    So what were the negatives? 
    This is like asking someone to tell you what was so negative about the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing. "All is well. Your mom is backing down. If Obama hadn't given her that phone she would have never called the police..."
    Normal, healthy analogy 
    No not normal at all, and neither is anything Trump does or says. Go ahead, if you're married, next time you do something that makes your spouse mad, read a prepared statement from a friend with no investment in the statement. I'm sure it will go well.
    I think being the President and addressing a world-wide TV/Internet audience of millions is a little different than talking your way out of your spouse being mad at you. Of course he's going to read a prepared statement in a situation like this. I hate to stick up for Trump because he's so vile and awful. But some of you guys scrape the bottom of the barrel with your complaints about him. And pjl44 is right, that analogy was pretty strange. But that's what Trump does to some people. A simple speech about the situation with Iran has you equating it to "the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing." Yikes. 
    Right but this is the guy that always pointed out how Obama used telepromters (using his spelling)
    I'm glad he's using a teleprompter.  I"m glad Obama did.  A president speaks for a nation, and therefore the words should be carefully chosen and crafted, not riffed.  My problem with this is the complete folly of the strategy.  So while I can agree with @cincybearcat that I'm glad it's not worse, I simply cannot look at this speech in a vacuum and give him credit.  My God, why did the last week even happen?  The whole episode is absolutely sickening.  And it's not because the general is dead, it's that we've reset the foreign policy with Iran back 20 years.  
    And there are very few people behind the scenes right now.  The ones that were supposed to protect us have resigned.
    Right, the pros.  Evidently Pompeo was the big advocate for the strike.  He's been passionately itching for a conflict with Iran from days well before State.  
    Bad dude dead and two nations have avoided a major confrontation.  Who knows, maybe this will lead to peace?
    We had peace under Obama.  The peace was broken.  
    Didn’t Iran shoot do a us drone and seize a British oil tanker last summer?

Neither of those can be reasonably construed as an act of war.  First, Iran claims it was in their airspace.  US says it was international.  Second, seizing a British tanker is not our problem, it's the Brits.  I don't think they asked us to assassinate a general because of that action.  
    Aren’t the brits one of our closest allies? Shouldn’t we care what happens to them?

I thought you were against being global saviour now? especially when they are a nation that can take care of themselves. 
    rand paul is not even against being global savior now that trump is president.
    Rand has been very critical of Trump in the past week.  Everything I saw has been consistent with his foreign policy views.  
    i will bet you a beer he votes with trump to authorize force. that is, if trump ever decides to go to congress/senate for anything related to war.
    Maybe. But he has not been wishy washy in his statements so far.

Trump's speech today proved that yes, he is in fact brain dead.  
    I didn't see it. Does he think this whole ordeal is gonna bring Iran to the table?
    Yes, I don't know the line exactly, but he's saying that now we're open to negotiate and maybe this will pave the path to peace.  Brain dead...

article from earlier:  https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/477316-trump-tells-senate-gop-ally-that-he-sees-opportunity-for-new-talks
    Hooooooo boy. I don't see how that works. I'm more of a mind to agree with Rand, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,219
    yeah lee was pretty mad. he was railing on the administration enough that fox news cut away from him mid sentence.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fox News cut away from Republican Sen. Mike Lee as he excoriated the Trump admin’s Soleimani briefing as “probably the worst briefing at least on a military issue I’ve seen.” <a href="https://t.co/736Qtd6bWZ">pic.twitter.com/736Qtd6bWZ</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) <a href="">January 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    was that a gohmert walking though at the :37 mark??
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    this is actually pretty amazing. lee is really legit mad. Rand standing next to him seeming to agree.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GOP Sen. Mike Lee goes off on the Trump briefing: &quot;They had to leave after 75 minutes, while they’re in the process of telling us that we need to be good little boys and girls and run along and not debate this in public. I find that absolutely insane. I think it’s unacceptable.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/rs6LOimfAm">pic.twitter.com/rs6LOimfAm</a></p>&mdash; Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) <a href="">January 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,945
    could this lead to another article of impeachment? for the record, I'M NOT HOPING, JUST ASKING. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,302
    could this lead to another article of impeachment? for the record, I'M NOT HOPING, JUST ASKING. 
    If getting jazzed up about war wasn't a bipartisan reflex, I'd be more inclined to think so. Congress has been pretty lax about deferring to the President on this stuff for a while now, but who knows. If you wanna dream a little, here's Justin Amash's take on the constitutionality of it:

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,735
    Someone forgot to tell Iran that the de- escalation is happening. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,141
    mrussel1 said:
    what, the two rockets in the green zone?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,198

Impeachment lol 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587

Robert Reich
    2 hrs · 
    Trump lies like most people breathe, and today was no exception. His speech this morning addressing Iran’s missile attacks on two American army bases in Iraq was riddled with misleading statements, inflammatory rhetoric, and outright lies. Among the most outrageous of Trump’s tall tales:

— He claimed the Iranian people chanted “Death to America” on the day the nuclear deal was signed. In reality, thousands of Iranians took to the streets to celebrate the signing of the nuclear deal, elated that a diplomatic channel between Iran and the United States had finally been opened after years of tensions. Public dancing, while normally banned, was even permitted as Iran’s citizens banded together in a rare display of national unity.

— He repeated a wild claim that the U.S. gave Iran "$150 billion, not to mention $1.8 billion in cash" after signing the deal. This is patently untrue: after the deal was signed, Iran regained access to $150 billion of its own assets, which had been frozen abroad. The $1.8 billion in cash was from a 1970s-era deal in which Iran paid the U.S. $400 million for military equipment that never ended up getting delivered due to the revolution, which disintegrated diplomatic relations. After the deal was signed in 2015, the U.S. agreed to pay Iran the original $400 million in addition to $1.3 billion in interest.

— He again claimed that he had destroyed "100 percent of ISIS and its territorial caliphate". While its territorial caliphate is no longer, ISIS is very much alive and well. In fact, ISIS is poised on the edge of resurgence thanks to Trump’s brash foreign policy decisions, including his abandonment of our Kurdish allies in Syria last October and last week’s strike against General Soleimani.

• Options
    ^But it was a good speech nonetheless.  

The whole basis of the speech was a lie, from the recent justification to the JCPOA.  Lies, lies and more lies.  Not spin, not different interpretation or relevancy of certain facts, straight up lies.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    what, the two rockets in the green zone?
    Yes.  Certainly it was probably Iranian backed militia, but still...
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mrussel1 said:

The whole basis of the speech was a lie, from the recent justification to the JCPOA.  Lies, lies and more lies.  Not spin, not different interpretation or relevancy of certain facts, straight up lies.  
    But it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Hi! said:

where in the world is polaris x?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,312
    Jason P said:
    Hi! said:

Was actually wondering the same thing yesterday.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,985
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    If you were giving that speech, you’d say the same thing.  I thought it was a brilliantly worded portion of that to be honest. 
    I didn't see the speech. I suppose I should have watched it prior to commenting. out of context it just sounded like saving face to me. 
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  Instead of talking about the speech we talk about whether or not he wears a diaper.  

Eight people commented on the speech. That’s not crickets. Not everyone agrees with you that it was something positive. 
    So what were the negatives? 
    This is like asking someone to tell you what was so negative about the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing. "All is well. Your mom is backing down. If Obama hadn't given her that phone she would have never called the police..."
    Normal, healthy analogy 
    No not normal at all, and neither is anything Trump does or says. Go ahead, if you're married, next time you do something that makes your spouse mad, read a prepared statement from a friend with no investment in the statement. I'm sure it will go well.
    I think being the President and addressing a world-wide TV/Internet audience of millions is a little different than talking your way out of your spouse being mad at you. Of course he's going to read a prepared statement in a situation like this. I hate to stick up for Trump because he's so vile and awful. But some of you guys scrape the bottom of the barrel with your complaints about him. And pjl44 is right, that analogy was pretty strange. But that's what Trump does to some people. A simple speech about the situation with Iran has you equating it to "the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing." Yikes. 
    I've been told before that I take things a bit extreme. Oh well, makes it clear how I feel about it. Trump continues to rape this nation and the people of other countries with his actions, so I think it's apropos.
    Well fair enough. As long as you're not one of these unhinged Trump-haters. I worry for them almost as much I worry for the unhinged Trump-lovers. 
    Not unhinged at all. My wife is good at reminding me my analogies are a little much. I'm a bit dark like that.
    Do your analogies get better or worse after a few ipa s?

The best worst could ever be ;)
    Just saw this, it definitely made me laugh. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I have this feeling The Bureaucrat. will be more ruthless in his new position.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    And I don’t know what to be embarrassed about, too.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

But it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Praise The Lord we have The Donald to protect us.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Hi! said:

good question.

also, where are our resident trumpers to defend his actions? interesting that the few of them have all been absent during the recent developments.

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    really?
  • Options
    really?
    umm, you should come around more often.  his stance on trump is well documented.

• Options

The Trump Doctrine—Hem, Haw, Overreact Wildly, Then Clean Up Your Own Mess

• Options

The Trump Doctrine—Hem, Haw, Overreact Wildly, Then Clean Up Your Own Mess

Make things exactly as they were.. because that was the right option,  in literally every single situation where he does
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020
    I haven’t read this entire thread because I’ve grown weary of Trump.  So I don’t know if anyone has mentioned the Ukrainian Commercial Airline flight that went down 4 min. after take off from Tehran today.  That flight contained nearly 70 Canadians who are no longer with us, approximately 30 of which are from Edmonton. 
    The Iranians are not going to release the black box to Boeing or the US so that tells you everything you need to know.
    Most of the Canadians were university students, physicians, professors, etc. Some of our youngest and brightest. 
    Trump’s impulsive nature (my own diplomacy) has now resulted in the death of completely innocent civilians.  All the divisiveness, name-calling, hatred toward the media, espousing of nonsensical  bitterness towards Obama, Clinton and any Democrat. 
    To Trump supporters, I want to ask you... what if one of your close friends or family was on that flight... what would you say then.  Trump is just not a leader and this mess demonstrates it. 

• Options
    I haven’t read this entire thread because I’ve grown weary of Trump.  So I don’t know if anyone has mentioned the Ukrainian Commercial Airline flight that went down 4 min. after take off from Tehran today.  That flight contained nearly 70 Canadians who are no longer with us, approximately 30 of which are from Edmonton. 
    The Iranians are not going to release the black box to Boeing or the US so that tells you everything you need to know.
    Most of the Canadians were university students, physicians, professors, etc. Some of our youngest and brightest. 
    Trump’s impulsive nature (my own diplomacy) has now resulted in the death of completely innocent civilians.  All the divisiveness, name-calling, hatred toward the media, espousing of nonsensical  bitterness towards Obama, Clinton and any Democrat. 
    To Trump supporters, I want to ask you... what if one of your close friends or family was on that flight... what would you say then.  Trump is just not a leader and this mess demonstrates it. 

i have not been following that aspect. are they speculating that iran shot the plane down?

I know that the black boxes are not going to be released to boeing because Iran does not trust the americans with the black box. trump would have a field day distorting what is actually heard on the black box. i thought I had seen on twitter that they were going to be released to your govenment officials??

i read that witnesses reported that the plane was in flames suggesting an engine fire or something. 

again i have not been following this as closely as i should. Sorry for the loss of your countrymen and women.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020

i have not been following that aspect. are they speculating that iran shot the plane down?

I know that the black boxes are not going to be released to boeing because Iran does not trust the americans with the black box. trump would have a field day distorting what is actually heard on the black box. i thought I had seen on twitter that they were going to be released to your govenment officials??

i read that witnesses reported that the plane was in flames suggesting an engine fire or something. 

again i have not been following this as closely as i should. Sorry for the loss of your countrymen and women.
    Its ok, there is a lot of events happening. 
    Of course they are going to say it isn’t linked,  but are you going to believe the Iranians OR Trump and the Republicans? 
    It’s pretty unlikely this is coincidental is all I am saying.