Options

High N Dry in California

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited July 2015
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, a west coast meteorologist told me once that any weather report beyond three days is literally a guess, and that I'd get more accurate info from the farmer's almanac.

As a person who lives in close relationship with the land, in a region with a long history of reverence to the farmers almanac, where it is particularly suited... It is bullshit lol
    The frost and planting guides, the sunrise/sunset and moon tables and stuff like that are good, but the long term weather predictions are totally bogus.
    It is like all other astrology based baloney, it is broad and self-fulfilling.
    It will be a bad winter. No shit, every winter feels like shit.
    It will be a hot, wet summer. Really? You mean it will be like 9/10 summers in the Mid-West? Wow.
    That was his point. He said you are better off using the farmer's almanac because that is such a terrible way to predict the weather, so to suggest using it instead of listening to the weatherman indicates just how awful longterm meteorological forecasts really are. Sorry if I wasn't clear there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, a west coast meteorologist told me once that any weather report beyond three days is literally a guess, and that I'd get more accurate info from the farmer's almanac.

As a person who lives in close relationship with the land, in a region with a long history of reverence to the farmers almanac, where it is particularly suited... It is bullshit lol
    The frost and planting guides, the sunrise/sunset and moon tables and stuff like that are good, but the long term weather predictions are totally bogus.
    It will be a hot, wet summer. Really? You mean it will be like 9/10 summers in the Mid-West? Wow.
    That was his point. He said you are better off using the farmer's almanac because that is such a terrible way to predict the weather, so to suggest using it instead of listening to the weatherman indicates just how awful longterm meteorological forecasts really are. Sorry if I wasn't clear there.
    Farmer's Almanac: Light summer reading. :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hahaha no it was clear I just didn't get the joke because the Farmers Almanac is a pet peeve of mine. It clouded my judgement and took me straight into rant mode lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Got our new Water Sense water saving toilet installed today. Never been so excited about flushing a toilet before. WOO HOO! hahaha! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    One can just put something in their toilet tank to save water, like a bottle or something. Everyone do it now. :)
    Toilet flushing is probably the most heinous waste of water possible. It is never necessary when it's just pee (until you get too much TP in there, for the ladies). And one certainly shouldn't be flushing kleenex and shit like that (so many people will do that! Just blow their nose or something and use the toilet as a garbage can!).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

One can just put something in their toilet tank to save water, like a bottle or something. Everyone do it now. :)
    Toilet flushing is probably the most heinous waste of water possible. It is never necessary when it's just pee (until you get too much TP in there, for the ladies). And one certainly shouldn't be flushing kleenex and shit like that (so many people will do that! Just blow their nose or something and use the toilet as a garbage can!).

So true about a brick in the tank! We actually are saving a lot of water with the new toilet because the old one (with or without a brick) took multiple flushings to get the job done. It was made around the time of the Etruscans. The new one goes "woosh!' with less water and one flush does the trick just great.

Yes, no garbage in the toilet!

And yes, we would do well out here to revive the old mantra:

If it's yellow let it mellow.
    If it's brown, flush it down.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    For those of us on the west coast, this is unsettling news. Our fire season is still in it's early phase (some are now saying the fire season in California runs all year long but the worst of it runs from July until often well into October) and yet Gov. Brown has already declared a state of emergency due to raging wildfires here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jerry-brown-wildfires-emergency_55bc043fe4b0d4f33a03014e?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green&section=green

"California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) has declared a state of emergency as wildfires blaze in 15 counties across the Golden State, one of which killed a responding firefighter.

"California's severe drought and extreme weather have turned much of the state into a tinderbox," Brown said in a Friday statement. "Our courageous firefighters are on the front lines and we'll do everything we can to help them."

The governor's proclamation directs all state agencies to assist with emergency relief, and activates the state's National Guard to aid with disaster response. Brown also urged California residents to heed any safety warnings from emergency personnel in their area."

Also this:

"David Ruhl, a South Dakota firefighter brought in to battle the blazes in California, died Thursday while fighting the Frog fire in Modoc County."

R.I.P. David Ruhl. :frowning:
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hang tough left coasters.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Rainfall in the US since April
  • Options
    Jason P said:

It's obvious to whom God bestows His loves and which sinners shall perish by fire and the Hand of His wrath!

Repent Leftist Coasters! The end is near!

(Or maybe we'll just drying up and blow away!)

• Options
    Jason P said:

Crazy. Poor southwest. And poor northwest too - it should be purple up there. We're at level 3 water restrictions in a fucking rainforest.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Crazy. Poor southwest. And poor northwest too - it should be purple up there. We're at level 3 water restrictions in a fucking rainforest.
    Is that in the Hoh Rainforest??

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

The what? Hoh Rain Forest? Never heard of it. What, somewhere in Washington? I more meant that the entire region is a rain forest. I guess different parts have different specific names, but I don't know any of them. I think of the whole west coast from northern BC right down to Oregon as a rain forest.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

The what? Hoh Rain Forest? Never heard of it. What, somewhere in Washington? I more meant that the entire region is a rain forest. I guess different parts have different specific names, but I don't know any of them. I think of the whole west coast from northern BC right down to Oregon as a rain forest.
    hoh rainforest ? it's a small island off the coast of california that's habbitated by small human like creatures that breed during the rainy season and sometimes swim across the pond to sell thier goods at small bars and dimmly lit streets on the outskirts of san diego, they are celebrated by a small gathering of male hunters that arm them selfs with condoms and dollar bills....sound about right ?

Godfather.

• Options
    Haha, GF! I mean, Hoh Hoh!

But seriously, OMG yes, PJ_Soul, the Hoh Rainforest! It's on the west side of Olympic National Park and it's an incredible place!

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/visiting-the-hoh.htm

It also happens to be where my friend Gordon Hempton is working to create "One Square Inch" which is described as:

"...very possibly the quietest place in the United States. It is an independent research project located in the Hoh Rain Forest of Olympic National Park, which is one of the most pristine, untouched, and ecologically diverse environments in the United States."

http://onesquareinch.org/

Gordon first wrote about this concept in his excellent book, One Square Inch of Silence.

• Options
    brianlux said:

But seriously, OMG yes, PJ_Soul, the Hoh Rainforest! It's on the west side of Olympic National Park and it's an incredible place!

It also happens to be where my friend Gordon Hempton is working to create "One Square Inch" which is described as:

"...very possibly the quietest place in the United States. It is an independent research project located in the Hoh Rain Forest of Olympic National Park, which is one of the most pristine, untouched, and ecologically diverse environments in the United States."

Gordon first wrote about this concept in his excellent book, One Square Inch of Silence.

You know Gordon Hempton?
    That's awesome! I read about his One Square Inch campaign a few years ago in Backpacker.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:

Got our new Water Sense water saving toilet installed today. Never been so excited about flushing a toilet before. WOO HOO! hahaha! :lol:

Just be careful if you own an older house with smaller drainage pipes! We installed a water saver and had problems with the pipes clogging due to the lack of water pushing everything on out... It still doesn't use as much water as the old one, but definitely have to "hold the handle" a little longer to let a little more water flow through.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

Just be careful if you own an older house with smaller drainage pipes! We installed a water saver and had problems with the pipes clogging due to the lack of water pushing everything on out... It still doesn't use as much water as the old one, but definitely have to "hold the handle" a little longer to let a little more water flow through.
    Thanks for the heads up, PJP. Our plumber friend did mention that he was concerned about the pipe size but turns out it is standard sized.

• Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

You know Gordon Hempton?
    That's awesome! I read about his One Square Inch campaign a few years ago in Backpacker.
    Yeah- he's a great guy. :smile:

How cool that you know about his work!

Here's a photo taken up near Poulsbo, WA, of us hanging out with Gordon (on the left):

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

Thanks for the heads up, PJP. Our plumber friend did mention that he was concerned about the pipe size but turns out it is standard sized.

Try eating less.Makes less waste and not as hard to flush.lol
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I've been there Brian - I just had no idea it was called Hoh Rain Forest. It is a really beautiful area.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

I've been there Brian - I just had no idea it was called Hoh Rain Forest. It is a really beautiful area.
    It's beautiful, isn't it! The sitka spruce there are amazing and all that moss everywhere!

The forests outside the park are often clear-cut save for a neat strip along the road that makes it look wooded but once into the Park it's beautiful. The last time I was there I noticed a US Forest sign outside the Park that had been expertly altered (Monekywrenched!) to read "Manged Forest", haha.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

It's beautiful, isn't it! The sitka spruce there are amazing and all that moss everywhere!

The forests outside the park are often clear-cut save for a neat strip along the road that makes it look wooded but once into the Park it's beautiful. The last time I was there I noticed a US Forest sign outside the Park that had been expertly altered (Monekywrenched!) to read "Manged Forest", haha.
    Also great are the beaches just west of there (or they actually might still be a part of Hoh, actually). Breathtaking beaches that are often completely free of people for some reason.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

You know Gordon Hempton?
    Yeah- he's a great guy. :smile:

How cool that you know about his work!

Here's a photo taken up near Poulsbo, WA, of us hanging out with Gordon (on the left):

Awesome!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Also great are the beaches just west of there (or they actually might still be a part of Hoh, actually). Breathtaking beaches that are often completely free of people for some reason.
    So true! The beaches of Western Washington are amazingly unpopulated. Sounds like you spent some time there- nice!

We had a few very light sprinkles here yesterday- not more than a little piss of a rain and not enough to end the drought but maybe a sign of things to come? Lets hope this El Niño thing pans out!

• Options
    I may have to investigate this Park the next time I'm in the Pac NW.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I may have to investigate this Park the next time I'm in the Pac NW.

If you do, you'll be glad! Also, check out Hurricane Ridge on the north side of the park (It's actually just south of the city of Port Angeles). It's more popular and crowed around the park headquarters area but the views are great and there are lots of great hikes and wilderness access leading from there.

• Options
    we were just discussing that most our travel lately has been for rock shows and how nice it would be to do some hiking and breathe in some clean air.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

we were just discussing that most our travel lately has been for rock shows and how nice it would be to do some hiking and breathe in some clean air.

Oh how I wish I were there right now... INSTEAD OF AT WORK in this east coast via west coast heat and humidity. Honestly, it's felt like Florida here lately.

New thread title: High and damp?

(OK, right now, just damp!)

• Options
    Well wishing you guys some of our Florida rain.
    Mother nature just does her thing.You guys could use every drop of rain and would be happy to start with an inch,while Tampa gets 26" and didn't need any to start.smh