Options

High N Dry in California

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2015

last night at 8:27 I received an "imminent severe alert" for flash flood warning in San Diego and to watch my local news........I fell right back to sleep, I live 5mi. from the beach we dont flood ! .....yet.

Godfather.

Saw original Star Wars in theater and in bed asleep at 8:27pm.

HA so don t feel so old anymore.

Oh last Star Wars I watched in entirety was also first episode in theater as well. Have been presented later versions but after rooting for Kirk to die was kicked out of room.

Back to subject matter, saw rain in CA and hoped y'all got a good amount.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    No flooding up this way. You guys down south must have gotten pounded!

We received good, steady showers off and on all afternoon- much needed rain. Definitely not enough to end the drought (snow packs and rain totals for the years are very low) but thankful for what we got yesterday.

Some good illustrations here showing how this cold storm swooped way down to the south- unusual for this time of year:

http://www.weather.com/forecast/regional/news/california-rare-may-rain-sierra-snow-2015
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

last night at 8:27 I received an "imminent severe alert" for flash flood warning in San Diego and to watch my local news........I fell right back to sleep, I live 5mi. from the beach we dont flood ! .....yet.

Godfather.

Saw original Star Wars in theater and in bed asleep at 8:27pm.

HA so don t feel so old anymore.

Oh last Star Wars I watched in entirety was also first episode in theater as well. Have been presented later versions but after rooting for Kirk to die was kicked out of room.

Back to subject matter, saw rain in CA and hoped y'all got a good amount.

thanks !, it hasen't been quite what the weather report said it would be but it aint over yet, I like to see the storm thedy reported would hit.

Godfather.

• Options
    The Obama administration issued controversial new rules Wednesday aimed at protecting the nation's drinking water but decried by congressional critics as a regulatory "power grab."

The Environmental Protection Agency, in announcing the finalized Clean Water Rule along with the Army Corps of Engineers, said the changes mark a "historic step for the protection of clean water" and would help roughly 117 million Americans who get drinking water from streams not clearly protected before these regulations. The rule would clarify which smaller streams, tributaries and wetlands are covered by anti-pollution and development provisions of the Clean Water Act.

But the rules have run into deep opposition from farm groups and the Republican-led Congress. The House voted to block the regulations earlier this month, and a similar effort is underway in the Senate. Critics argue the rules could greatly expand the reach of federal regulators, making every stream, ditch and puddle on farmers' and others' private land subject to federal oversight.

“The administration’s decree to unilaterally expand federal authority is a raw and tyrannical power grab that will crush jobs,” House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in a written statement following the rules release.

Boehner said more than 30 governors and government leaders rejected the EPA’s water rule. “These leaders know firsthand that the rule is being shoved down the throats of hardworking people with no input, and places landowners, small businesses, farmers and manufacturers on the road to a regulatory and economic hell.”

North Dakota Republican Rep. Kevin Cramer said in a statement the rules "trample on the rights of private property owners as well as local and state governments" and vowed to work with colleagues to overturn it.

EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy, however, said the rule will only affect waters that have a "direct and significant" connection to larger bodies of water downstream that are already protected. The EPA said the rule focuses on streams, not ditches -- limiting protection to ditches constructed out of streams or those that "function like streams and can carry pollution downstream."

Two Supreme Court rulings had left the reach of the Clean Water Act uncertain. The EPA has said 60 percent of the nation's streams and waterways are vulnerable, and these rules clarify which of those waters are protected. The regulations would only kick in if a business or landowner takes steps to pollute or destroy those waters.

McCarthy has acknowledged the proposed rules issued last year were confusing and said the final rules were written to be more clear. She said the regulations don't create any new permitting requirements for agriculture and even adds some new exemptions for artificial lakes and ponds and water-filled depressions, among other features.

These efforts were "to make clear our goal is to stay out of agriculture's way," McCarthy said in a blog posted on the EPA website.

But after the rules were released, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, said his panel will consider the Senate bill to force the EPA to withdraw and rewrite the rules this summer and “continue our work to halt EPA’s unprecedented land grab."

Inhofe said the rule makes it "more important than ever for Congress to act." Among other concerns, he said the final rule allows the EPA to regulate isolated waters -- even ponds in farmers' fields -- by declaring them a "regional water treasure."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    Do you like beer, godfather? You know, you can live longer without food than water. Love how the first response is, "job killer." I wish you luck, and I hate to say it, but you might be fucked. As may be the whole southwest.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Do you like beer, godfather? You know, you can live longer without food than water. Love how the first response is, "job killer." I wish you luck, and I hate to say it, but you might be fucked. As may be the whole southwest.

not if I leave...HAHHAHHAHHA

Godfather.

• Options
    Legislation and regulation would not be necessary if individuals conserved on their own and corporate ag wasn't hugely wasteful. The former is not the case and the latter is. That's exactly how it is.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    People can conserve on their own till the cows come home - but when funds set aside (paid by US) to replace many of the old (like from the '30s) water mains here have been mis-used and mis-spent by the almighty fucking DWP - now there are main breaks pretty much every week, causing property damage, and wasting water, time, and precious resources.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

People can conserve on their own till the cows come home - but when funds set aside (paid by US) to replace many of the old (like from the '30s) water mains here have been mis-used and mis-spent by the almighty fucking DWP - now there are main breaks pretty much every week, causing property damage, and wasting water, time, and precious resources.

I remember you mentioning that water main break in the LA area that cause a huge loss of water. We had a smaller situation in downtown Placerville where a main broke and shot water two stories high. Yet despite that, our county argues about putting in a roundabout on a corner where traffic flow is just fine as it it. Craziness!

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The Midwest has gotten a fuckton of rain this year. Too bad we can't share.

I was planning a backcountry trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains this fall, but I'm concerned about finding sources to filter water from. I've hiked there many of times in the fall and i know it's sparse, but I have no idea what to expect based on this years drought.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:

I was planning a backcountry trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains this fall, but I'm concerned about finding sources to filter water from. I've hiked there many of times in the fall and i know it's sparse, but I have no idea what to expect based on this years drought.

No doubt about the fucktonage! My 'maters are chest high already! The black raspberries are ripening at about a gallon and a half per day and I can't keep up with picking.
    I am hitting RMNP, Tahoe and Yosemite in late September, small world!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Jason P said:

No doubt about the fucktonage! My 'maters are chest high already! The black raspberries are ripening at about a gallon and a half per day and I can't keep up with picking.
    Look for me atop Half Dome around late September. I will be the guy with the "I Wanna Polka" t-shirt.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hahahaha old school Polka fan eh? Half Dome and the Sherman grove are probably all we will have time for.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rgambs said:

Hahahaha old school Polka fan eh? Half Dome and the Sherman grove are probably all we will have time for.

Total punk rock!
  • Options
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Jason P said:

Look for me atop Half Dome around late September. I will be the guy with the "I Wanna Polka" t-shirt.
    Yosemite is beautiful anytime of year although last year it looked like this:

Hopefully that will not happen while you're there!

I had a friend years ago who hiked up (the back side) Half Dome and had some of his other buddies hold him by the ankles and lower him down over the face of the Dome. Not sure if that was a tall tale or not but if it really was possible to do he probably did it. Not advised, Jason!

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    California's got the bends.
  • Options

and it's costing us a grip of money...if we like it or not, I just road my bike by one of the local lakes that feed east san diego its water .....the friggin thing is FULL ! and has been for quite some time.

Godfather.

• Options

Where do we go from here?

Also, a hearty fuck-you to Tom Selleck.

(and for another vague Radiohead reference - karma police, arrest this man!)
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I saw that Hedo.What a Douche move by Magnum.

I know Brian has Poo pooed my constant suggestion of desalinization based on its enormous cost,but damn,can't we harness what we already have plenty of,and use the salt byproduct sales to help offset costs.With all the liberal wackiness in Cali I'm surprised there isn't a bigger push for it.I believe Sydney is already doin this on a large scale.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Sam Elliot>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tom Selleck. This "dude" likes his style. My mom has a huge long lasting crush on him truth be told. Great actor.

"Just one question, do you have to use too many curse words?"
  • Options

Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!
  • Options
    HAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHA !!!!!!!
  • Options

hedonist said:

Sam Elliot>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tom Selleck. This "dude" likes his style. My mom has a huge long lasting crush on him truth be told. Great actor.

"Just one question, do you have to use too many curse words?"
    Crush on Elliot? That I get - loved him in Lifeguard and Mask as well.

Jason, we've had three, maybe four?, water main breaks in LA since yesterday morning. Driving me nuts how much is just gone. Curse the DWP and Selleck too!

• Options
    who's going to fine the DWP ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Good question, GF. I think it's on the cities to do so...?

UCLA is going after them for the cost of damages from the huge break a few months ago (20 million gallons lost).
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

who's going to fine the DWP ?

Godfather.

Fuck the DWP. I was reading the article in the LA Times yesterday about how they're raising rates AGAIN - as my husband walks down the stairs carrying the bucket we use in our shower now to save water to water the plants. I want to see the water bills of the DWP admins - I bet that would be interesting reading.
  • Options
    He's definitely not AN INNOCENT MAN. I'm not foolish enough to believe H(IS) ALIBI. He thinks he can RUNAWAY from this but he's wrong.
  • Options
    I must retract my fuck-you to Selleck, as it appears there was a contract in place for his water use.

(how the DWP wasn't aware of this, I don't know)
  • Options
    We had a light rain up on the coast a few days ago... in JULY! Strange but nice!