Options

High N Dry in California

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    I love Tom Selleck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My husband actually scolded me when I got pissed off over the initial story. Told me that the media typically fucks it up, and damned if he was right - and damned if I ignored my own self-imposed caveats when it comes to things "reported".

Valuable lesson learned.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    hedonist said:

I must retract my fuck-you to Selleck, as it appears there was a contract in place for his water use.

(how the DWP wasn't aware of this, I don't know)

So the district paid $22K for a P.I. to investigate Magnum P.I. and they couldn't discover the water was being paid for?

Posers.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I think we've only had about 6 or 7 days of pure sunshine here in western Maryland. Too bad we're not collecting this stuff in barrels and shipping it across the country. We just had the wettest June in 30 years here. Poorest excuse for summer I've ever experienced.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

I think we've only had about 6 or 7 days of pure sunshine here in western Maryland. Too bad we're not collecting this stuff in barrels and shipping it across the country. We just had the wettest June in 30 years here. Poorest excuse for summer I've ever experienced.

Wettest last three months in Texas in 30 years. All lakes are full. Everything is green. Dryer last couple weeks. Also wish I could have sent this to. Ca.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

Wettest last three months in Texas in 30 years. All lakes are full. Everything is green. Dryer last couple weeks. Also wish I could have sent this to. Ca.
    with my house going up for sale at least I have an excuse for the dead front and back lawns hahhahhahhahah !

Godfather.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

callen said:

with my house going up for sale at least I have an excuse for the dead front and back lawns hahhahhahhahah !

Godfather.

Lawn? What's a lawn? Haha! Good luck with the sale, Godfather.

We went out for a short hike at Jenkinson Lake (a.k.a. Sly Park Lake which is actually a reservoir not a true lake) up near Pollock Pines today. The water level was low of course but what was really a bit shocking was to see some of the deciduous trees with leaves turning already. Strange!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Oh man. There's a brush fire east of here that has not only shut down a local freeway, but set on fire some of the cars and a semi that are stuck on the road. Packed highway and they're just there, nowhere to go.

Looks surreal.

May they keep safe.
  • Options
    I've never in my life seen water-drops like this - on automobiles. Their precision (using buckets?!) is something else...and the actions of these firefighters, whether on the ground or as pilots - are heroic.
  • Options
    Dang! I don't think I've ever heard of a brush fire causing so much havoc on a freeway. Stay safe down there, Hedo!!

Saw this article with some pics of the fire on the 15;

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/30-Acre-Brush-Fire-Shuts-Down-15-Fwy-at-Cajun-Pass-316347791.html
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thanks, B! Fortunately, I'm not even close but it's all over our local news.

Have always been terrified by the prospect of (unwanted) fire...I so feel for these people.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Oh man. There's a brush fire east of here that has not only shut down a local freeway, but set on fire some of the cars and a semi that are stuck on the road. Packed highway and they're just there, nowhere to go.

Looks surreal.

May they keep safe.

It's bad. I have family in Hesperia and Phelan. They are safe, but some were stuck down the hill at work and could not get home because of the 15 freeway shut down.
    hedonist said:

I've never in my life seen water-drops like this - on automobiles. Their precision (using buckets?!) is something else...and the actions of these firefighters, whether on the ground or as pilots - are heroic.

They are truly heroic.

On another note, I think California needs to pass laws requiring mandatory prison time for the idiots flying the drones which are interfering in the firefighting efforts. I was watching a news update this morning talking about five separate drones were in the air yesterday while the water and flame retardant material were being dropped. It became dangerous for the planes, so the planes were grounded for 26 minutes while police located the owners of the drones and made them ground the drones. That cost firefighting efforts valuable time in trying to contain the fire. This was about the same time that the freeway was overrun by the fire.

Very sad. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt.

ktla.com/2015/07/18/firefighting-efforts-in-cajon-pass-hampered-by-drone-activity-fire-officials/

• Options
    Now there is another California wildfire in Wrightwood, not too far from the first fire. Lots of campgrounds in that area where about 300 campers, mostly kids, had to be evacuated late last night. The fire is only 5% contained today.

• Options

Now there is another California wildfire in Wrightwood, not too far from the first fire. Lots of campgrounds in that area where about 300 campers, mostly kids, had to be evacuated late last night. The fire is only 5% contained today.

It's going to be a long, unsettling fire season. We had two in our area last year. Rather unnerving, to say the least.

• Options

On another note, I think California needs to pass laws requiring mandatory prison time for the idiots flying the drones which are interfering in the firefighting efforts. I was watching a news update this morning talking about five separate drones were in the air yesterday while the water and flame retardant material were being dropped. It became dangerous for the planes, so the planes were grounded for 26 minutes while police located the owners of the drones and made them ground the drones. That cost firefighting efforts valuable time in trying to contain the fire. This was about the same time that the freeway was overrun by the fire.

ktla.com/2015/07/18/firefighting-efforts-in-cajon-pass-hampered-by-drone-activity-fire-officials/

I hope your family keeps safe - same goes for you too, B. A fair amount of lightning and thunder here today, but not sure if the rain has helped much.

And Asterisk, I've meant to mention this drone business - makes my blood boil. Can these fuckers idiots refrain from their it's-about-me bubbles when such serious shit is going down? Just wastes precious time, and I hope there's some way to fine them for their actions because fire season is well-upon us.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    We have so much rain in the Midwest it isn't even funny. Local farmers replanted corn a few weeks ago and it was just coming out of the ground Friday and then we get another 4 inches over the weekend. DOA.

Someone get Shattner on the phone ....
  • Options
    Jason P said:

We have so much rain in the Midwest it isn't even funny. Local farmers replanted corn a few weeks ago and it was just coming out of the ground Friday and then we get another 4 inches over the weekend. DOA.

LOL, Jason! Yes, PLEASE BEAM US OVER SOME H2O!

• Options
    brianlux said:

It's going to be a long, unsettling fire season. We had two in our area last year. Rather unnerving, to say the least.

During the fire season of 2007, it seemed like much of California was on fire in October. The dry conditions are similar this year. Unnerving, indeed.
    hedonist said:

I hope your family keeps safe - same goes for you too, B. A fair amount of lightning and thunder here today, but not sure if the rain has helped much.

And Asterisk, I've meant to mention this drone business - makes my blood boil. Can these fuckers idiots refrain from their it's-about-me bubbles when such serious shit is going down? Just wastes precious time, and I hope there's some way to fine them for their actions because fire season is well-upon us.
    The Authorities have to get the drone interference under control immediately. People are going to lose their lives in these fires due to the drones if they don't crack down now. It makes me so angry.
  • Options
    I need to do additional due diligence, but apparently a bill is up that allows the droning ones (those flying, not the idiots "controlling" them) to be shot down during dire times.

Let's get her done!

Gotta have your machine flying around, serving your ego and social media exposure, at the expense of people's lives, homes, pets, property?

Fuck you.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I need to do additional due diligence, but apparently a bill is up that allows the droning ones (those flying, not the idiots "controlling" them) to be shot down during dire times.

Let's get her done!

Gotta have your machine flying around, serving your ego and social media exposure, at the expense of people's lives, homes, pets, property?

Fuck you.

Right on, Hedo! Shoot them fuckers down, I say!

• Options
    Honestly, B...I'm not yee-haw'ing while screaming "dance, motherfucker!" but to hinder such efforts to save so much? These people need to be educated post-haste.
  • Options
    Yeah, Hedo, I'm guessing a lot of the flying gizwagit owners have learned a thing or two already but after this incident, if anyone makes the same mistake, they need to pay BIG TIME!

• Options
    Heard couple stories of possible relief coming to parts of CA from El Niño. Oh how great that would be. Heck maybe even good snowfall this fall winter.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Was flooding g in Texas till bout 4 weeks ago. Now hot and dry.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I too think you Cali folks are going to enjoy some much needed extra moisture.The El-Nino is for real.Thats if you don't burn to crisp first.sheesh,rough going lately left coasters
  • Options
    Not to be a downer but according to this recent article, El Nino could help but it could also harm. We could end up with floods in the southern portion of the state and continued drought in the north where much water is collected and stored for millions of residents. I had a meteorologist friend tell me that even today forecasts for the west coast are only accurate for a matter of a few to a handful of coming days. Only Mother Nature knows for sure.

I'm definitely hoping for rain up here.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-el-nino-forecast-20150721-story.html#page=1

There's a favorable chance that this winter will be wetter than average in much of California -- from San Diego to San Francisco. The greatest chance for wet conditions is in Southern California, said Mike Halpert of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center.

But there’s only an equal chance of a wetter-than-average rainy season north of San Francisco, where much of the state’s water supply is collected and stored in giant reservoirs. California needs both rain and snow up there. Snow slowly melting from the mountains is essential to recharging our reservoirs when the skies turn dry later in the spring.

El Niño needs to be particularly powerful to affect Northern California.

“This is not strong enough yet,” Patzert said. “The really big El Niños -- we’re not there yet -- can soak the whole state. But right now, it’s possible to get a lot of flooding and mudslides in the south. In Northern California, you could get below-normal rainfall and snowpack.

“So that’s why I’m not calling this a drought-buster yet,” Patzert said.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Well,we will be wishing you much wetness to come in NoCal Brian.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The fires are out of control out there. Over 20 separate fires in 7 states. Wow.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    Yeah, a west coast meteorologist told me once that any weather report beyond three days is literally a guess, and that I'd get more accurate info from the farmer's almanac.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, a west coast meteorologist told me once that any weather report beyond three days is literally a guess, and that I'd get more accurate info from the farmer's almanac.

As a person who lives in close relationship with the land, in a region with a long history of reverence to the farmers almanac, where it is particularly suited... It is bullshit lol
    The frost and planting guides, the sunrise/sunset and moon tables and stuff like that are good, but the long term weather predictions are totally bogus.
    It is like all other astrology based baloney, it is broad and self-fulfilling.
    It will be a bad winter. No shit, every winter feels like shit.
    It will be a hot, wet summer. Really? You mean it will be like 9/10 summers in the Mid-West? Wow.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?