High N Dry in California

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Jason P said:

Time for Cali to invest in still suit technology

If we were smart we would have Dune that already.

:smiley: . Frank-ly, that's pretty funny.
    And just what this place needs- a little humor to spice things up!

That's a-paul-ing.
    LOL!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Fracking and California don't mix. This is disturbing news.

As Drought Deepens California Sees Millions of Gallons of Water Used for Fracking

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/29461-as-drought-deepens-california-sees-millions-of-gallons-of-water-used-for-fracking
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Just out of curiosity, those of you that live in CA, have they put in any measures to tackle the huge water problem related to agriculture? I keep reading about changes but it is all in regards to conservation at the individual level (i.e., don't water your lawn and take shorter showers). I would think this is the number one way to address the problem.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    riotgrl said:

Just out of curiosity, those of you that live in CA, have they put in any measures to tackle the huge water problem related to agriculture? I keep reading about changes but it is all in regards to conservation at the individual level (i.e., don't water your lawn and take shorter showers). I would think this is the number one way to address the problem.

Wait, are u saying they should let the farms and agriculture go away? That would be terrible for the country no? I don't know, kind of sounds like counter productive no?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

riotgrl said:

Wait, are u saying they should let the farms and agriculture go away? That would be terrible for the country no? I don't know, kind of sounds like counter productive no?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I am saying that 80% of water usage is related to agricultural use. It should be addressed. The most water intensive crop in CA in almonds. I'm pretty sure I could live without eating almonds if it helped out Californians. Much of the agricultural output in CA is for export to other parts of the country and I understand that, economically speaking, this would create an issue in that area, but if this is as dire as they are predicting our food prices will rise exponentially in any case.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    badbrains said:

riotgrl said:

That would be terrible both for this states economy and for lack of food elsewhere but I don't thin that is what riotgrl meant. Last summer- at the peak of the hottest time of year- we saw a large ag field in the valley that was watering by sprinkler- the most inefficient, water wasting method and time of day for watering AND they were over-watering- there was water flowing onto the road. Crazy! And what you said about using water for fracking, bb, that just plain nuts. The right thing to do would be to immediately remove all golf courses and private swimming pools, begin to cut way back on raising livestock, change over some of the excess vineyards to food crops (it's gotten ridiculous- everybody wanted to jump on the wine band wagon- in some places there are big excesses of fashionable wine grapes like merlot), take a closer look at growing crops that require less water, spread the word about xeriscaping and at the very least, encourage people not to move here. We are draining the aquifers at an alarming rate with no vision for how this will affect the future. This beautiful state feels doomed to me. I hate to be so pessimistic but I've been following these things since the mid-sixties and overall things have just gotten worse here. It's very sad.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Can't we just pray for rain?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Send in the rain gods!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Jason P said:

Time for Cali to invest in still suit technology

If we were smart we would have Dune that already.

:smiley: . Frank-ly, that's pretty funny.
    And just what this place needs- a little humor to spice things up!

That's a-paul-ing.
    LOL!

Are you trying to worm out of this conversation, Brian?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

Can't we just pray for rain?

not a bad idea.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited April 2015
    riotgrl said:

So they should just let all the crops die and ruin their economy?
    I don't really think that's a viable option. For better or worse, no one is going to just suddenly shut down an entire state's agricultural industry, which is what you're suggesting equates to, since no farmer would over water their crop, and are therefore using the least amount of water they need (especially when that industry is as huge as California's is). That would be a quick and sudden economic catastrophe instead of slow and perhaps partially manageable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

badbrains said:

riotgrl said:

That would be terrible both for this states economy and for lack of food elsewhere but I don't thin that is what riotgrl meant. Last summer- at the peak of the hottest time of year- we saw a large ag field in the valley that was watering by sprinkler- the most inefficient, water wasting method and time of day for watering AND they were over-watering- there was water flowing onto the road. Crazy! And what you said about using water for fracking, bb, that just plain nuts. The right thing to do would be to immediately remove all golf courses and private swimming pools, begin to cut way back on raising livestock, change over some of the excess vineyards to food crops (it's gotten ridiculous- everybody wanted to jump on the wine band wagon- in some places there are big excesses of fashionable wine grapes like merlot), take a closer look at growing crops that require less water, spread the word about xeriscaping and at the very least, encourage people not to move here. We are draining the aquifers at an alarming rate with no vision for how this will affect the future. This beautiful state feels doomed to me. I hate to be so pessimistic but I've been following these things since the mid-sixties and overall things have just gotten worse here. It's very sad.

Daylight watering should be banned, sprinklers should be banned, golf courses should be shut down, vineyards need cut way back, watering lawns should be banned...all these things NEED to happen, but this will be a collapse built from half measures.
    Lawns will continue to be watered (somewhat less) AG practices will continue as foolishly as possible, the wealthy will golf weekly on green fairways, they will continue to run misters at restaurants in Tucson, they will continue to bottle water and wine in the driest region of the nation to sell to the wettest regions... That's what mankind does, whatever lacks wisdom.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm OK with a few less pomegranates if we get to keep the golf courses.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

riotgrl said:

So they should just let all the crops die and ruin their economy?
    I don't really think that's a viable option. For better or worse, no one is going to just suddenly shut down an entire state's agricultural industry, which is what you're suggesting equates to, since no farmer would over water their crop, and are therefore using the least amount of water they need (especially when that industry is as huge as California's is). That would be a quick and sudden economic catastrophe instead of slow and perhaps partially manageable.
    Nowhere in either of my statements did I say that CA should let their crops die and destroy their economy. But I did say they DO need to address using 80% of their water usage on agricultural output to feed the rest of the country. I don't believe it is necessary to eat almonds year round. I think the state should begin to explore ways to reduce their water usage in other areas until they can make some changes to ag. output. I really don't think it is a viable option to let CA and other parts of the southwest suffer through a widespread drought so we can get avocados year round either.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    no they will never let the crops just die but they have cut back on water usage in the past on farms in El Centro Ca. all this is a attack on the the people that live and work in Ca. the govener wants your hard earned dollars...we just can't be given an opertunity to live comfortabley without the state and feds taking 35% to 48% of the money we work for ....what would those usless fucks do if we only gave 25%, less vacations,smaller houses or Heaven forbid they would have to budget they're money in a responsable way.
    I love this country but it needs a government duoch.

Godfather.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

no they will never let the crops just die but they have cut back on water usage in the past on farms in El Centro Ca. all this is a attack on the the people that live and work in Ca. the govener wants your hard earned dollars...we just can't be given an opertunity to live comfortabley without the state and feds taking 35% to 48% of the money we work for ....what would those usless fucks do if we only gave 25%, less vacations,smaller houses or Heaven forbid they would have to budget they're money in a responsable way.

Godfather.

I love a good convo about lowering the tax rate.25% would be a dream.
  • Options
    and a dream it is bro. but non the less we are waaaaaaaay over taxed here in california at a state level and feds .....forget about it,those guys are taking tribute not tax's ,tax's on a honest level would be fine but our government should be tried for strong arming and gambling.

Godfather.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    They cut down water usage for farms in Oregon and Conservatives went ape sh!t. Even bringing their guns to get the water turned back on. Make up your minds!
  • Options

Godfather.

You realize that it ia capitalist influence on the government that is causing this don't you? It's largely the work of the Right, not the Left. Citizens wouldn't have to conserve water or pay high taxes if the wealthiest had proper restrictions and paid their fair share.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Godfather.

You realize that it ia capitalist influence on the government that is causing this don't you? It's largely the work of the Right, not the Left. Citizens wouldn't have to conserve water or pay high taxes if the wealthiest had proper restrictions and paid their fair share.
    yep they all suck ass...right ,left and inbetween...it's time for a revolution !!! well not really but something needs to be done.

Godfather.

• Options
    The

rgambs said:

Godfather.

yep they all suck ass...right ,left and inbetween...it's time for a revolution !!! well not really but something needs to be done.

Godfather.

They do all suck!
  • Options
    http://on.nbc7.com/KQviJH7

Cpt. Kirk to the rescue !....quick Scotty beam up some rain.

Godfather.
  • Options
    .........or just pipe it in !

Godfather.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Haha - I love him! Can you believe he's 84?!

And fitting you bumped this "high" thread today of all days =)

Havin' a toke in yer honor, GF!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Haha - I love him! Can you believe he's 84?!

And fitting you bumped this "high" thread today of all days =)

Havin' a toke in yer honor, GF!

sittin down town in a railway station one toke over the line..
    in ten years I'll join you, I have to wait until I retire (aerospace,government etc) they always have that piss test hanging over us and it's been 20 years anyway,I can wait another 10 hahhahha.

Godfather.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Godfather.

Haha, Capt. Kirk is going to have to beam water from somewhere else. We're not high and dry like CA, but I don't know that we have any extra. Our governor declared a drought for the first time in a decade.

http://www.king5.com/story/tech/science/environment/2015/04/17/gov-jay-inslee-expands-washington-drought-declaration/25935965/
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Godfather.

Haha, Capt. Kirk is going to have to beam water from somewhere else. We're not high and dry like CA, but I don't know that we have any extra. Our governor declared a drought for the first time in a decade.

http://www.king5.com/story/tech/science/environment/2015/04/17/gov-jay-inslee-expands-washington-drought-declaration/25935965/
    in 9 to 12 months it wont matter to me anyway.

Godfather.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Are you getting any of that flooding that LA is getting Brian?
  • Options
    last night at 8:27 I received an "imminent severe alert" for flash flood warning in San Diego and to watch my local news........I fell right back to sleep, I live 5mi. from the beach we dont flood ! .....yet.

Godfather.
  • Options
    and by the way, on my way home yesterday after work it was raining like mad and it was one of those all the sudden things but the amount water that I alone saw was crazy and it all runs right to the ocean, ya know for a state that has to buy water from Nv.or who ever and depend on snow and rain fall for water in an area that is famous for "it never rains in California" sure has a cheeeezy and half assed system for water collection...millions of gallons of water run into the ocean every year and we have only a few resovrors to collect it . local government is full of reactive rather than proactive leaders.....dumb asses.

Godfather.