I miss back when....

I've been listening to Tim McGraw and the song I Miss Back When came on and as silly as it is...(I'll post the lyrics at the end for those who may have never heard it...) What do you miss from back when...???

I miss when kids played outside for entertainment instead of online and on their damn phones...my daughter's phone is glued to her hand and all her friends are the same way, and since she got it taken away when my hubby isn't on the computer she is...it's ridiculous, GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY IN THE DAMN STREET!!! lol

Here are the song lyrics...

I Miss Back When
By: Tim McGraw

Don't you remember
The fizz in a pepper
Peanuts in a bottle
At ten, two and four
A fried bologna sandwich
With mayo and tomato
Sittin' round the table
Don't happen much anymore

We got too complicated
It's all way over-rated
I like the old and out-dated
Way of life

Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when

I love my records
Black, shiny vinyl
Clicks and pops
And white noise
Man they sounded fine
I had my favorite stations
The ones that played them all
Country, soul and rock-and-roll
What happened to those times?

I'm readin' Street Slang For Dummies
Cause they put pop in my country
I want more for my money
The way it was back then

Coke was a coke
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when

Give me a flat top for strumming
I want the whole world to be humming
Just keep it coming
The way it was back then

Coke was a coke
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when
Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
Tattooed Dissident!

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Man, I've felt so nostalgic lately.

Don't necessarily want to go back (although it would be a blast - if I only knew then), but I do miss certain times, scents, childhood summer evenings of backyard bbq's and swimming in our pool with dark sky above. The plum tree in the backyard of my first home. My parents slow-dancing to their own music. 45's played on those suitcase record players, and toy chests.

Innocence.

Then again, I wouldn't trade now for anything. What I miss is what got me to here.

These are the good old days :)
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    That's for sure. I miss certain things like that too, like playing with my papa, the silly things he used to say, traveling with my grandparents, I got to see a good chunk of this great country with them. Miss riding go carts with my friends...riding bikes all over the neighborhood, like we owned it...walking the streets of the city with my bestie in HS...going to Astroworld with my aunt and uncle...sad that they tore it down...a lot of memories reduced to rubble...

Def. the good ol' days!!! But I wouldn't trade my life now to go back either...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • The days before being 'connected'. Handwritten letters, Ice chest wedged in the back seat on road trips, calling and then hanging up on the boys I liked, BBQing during the summer with my grandparents and video game arcades.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Uhh, never heard of it
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863

Uhh, never heard of it

you don't have to have heard of the song to share...it's the idea, surely there is something you miss from back when...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • GillycwGillycw Posts: 524
    ^^^^ I love those lyrics!
    I miss my Redstone roller skates with the red glitter wheels and skating as fast as I could up and down the driveway. Making up roller dances to the Village People movie soundtrack
    And endless summers, going to the beach with my friends, playing Marco Polo in the pool.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Saturday morning cartoons
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    How about sleeping in your parents' car's trunk/hatchback area.

And fuckin' a to handwritten letters (not to mention actual phone calls).

And yes too, Glassman! Sitting cross-legged WAY too close (according to our parents) with Looney Tunes...and, dare I say, a bowl of cereal?
  • I miss 1cent candies and cheap slurpees.

I remember during the summer going to the store with a dollar bill and getting a large slurpee for 95cents and 5 one cent candies.
    A dollar went far back then it seemed.
  • hedonist said:

And yes too, Glassman! Sitting cross-legged WAY too close (according to our parents) with Looney Tunes...and, dare I say, a bowl of cereal?

I actually have a rule I try and follow. Anything more than 3 texts back and forth I call the person. It does tend to catch people off guard sometimes, but if you have that much to say to each other, just dial. I really do miss a world that wasn't so connected all the time.

hedonist said:

I actually have a rule I try and follow. Anything more than 3 texts back and forth I call the person. It does tend to catch people off guard sometimes, but if you have that much to say to each other, just dial. I really do miss a world that wasn't so connected all the time.
    I only call my mom (it's enough that she "emails") and my sister.

Lately I've had flashes of that chained scene from Do the Evolution, screen-light reflecting in faces - brought upon by our/themselves?

Texts can be like novocaine. Like Ament said in SVT, not what to feel, but to feel.

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

Fuckin Tom and jerry and bowl of sugar smacks.Nicely done.Loved sat mornings.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I miss back before my neighborhood started getting gentrified when there were actual stores that you could get whatever you needed from. Also before Amazon made it cheaper to buy everything you need online and have it delivered.

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    real boobs.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    When people were expected to have social skills. When people you worked with actually had to have normal conversations.

I cant tell you how many times I try to talk with kids at work, kids meaning 20-30 year olds...And these kids are basically incapable of carrying on a conversation. The computer generation is a bunch of social misfits.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    ldent42 said:

I miss back before my neighborhood started getting gentrified when there were actual stores that you could get whatever you needed from. Also before Amazon made it cheaper to buy everything you need online and have it delivered.

Big plus one here as well. Too many small businesses killed by big box stores and Undercut America.

I miss:

Mom, the energy of youth, clean air, shows like Colombo and Rockford Files that made watching TV worth the effort, 99¢ singles and $3.99 LP's, several favorite bookstores that bit the dust and, number one on my list: RAIN!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Yeah

Kids playing in the neighborhood
    The corner bakery, the corner drug store, the meat market.
    Knowing your neighbors
    edited March 2015
    imalive said:

real boobs.

Reminds of that scene from LA Story.

And yeah, Speedy. Playing outside, bikes on the lawn, no worries in the world. The next-door folks looking out for us, and vice versa.

Sense of/ or actual community.
  • GillycwGillycw Posts: 524
    I mu

When people were expected to have social skills. When people you worked with actually had to have normal conversations.

I cant tell you how many times I try to talk with kids at work, kids meaning 20-30 year olds...And these kids are basically incapable of carrying on a conversation. The computer generation is a bunch of social misfits.

i must be lucky, I work side by side with 3 x 20 something's and they are all awesome.
    Not all that generation is disconnected but it definitely an element among some of them for sure.
    I find that some young guys in particular act like they know everything & anyone over the age of 40 is stupid however I don't think that's a new thing!
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    I miss the time when you could argue about a simple fact for minutes, for the fun of arguing, before someone said "Actually, I think you’re right". Now it’s more like after 30 seconds "Let’s go check Wikipedia" and the discussion is close.
    Longueuil said:

I miss the time when you could argue about a simple fact for minutes, for the fun of arguing, before someone said "Actually, I think you’re right". Now it’s more like after 30 seconds "Let’s go check Wikipedia" and the discussion is close.

Good one
  • I miss my walkman and making cassette tapes for the girls I liked. I miss going to the record store and finding new bands based on the band name, album name and cover art. I miss walking down to the corner liquor store as a kid and stealing peaks at the nudie magazines when the owners weren't looking.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited March 2015
    hmmmmmmm

Well never fucking mind then!!!!

hahahaha

Fuck Youtube!
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    25 cent Topps Baseball cards.Which would be purchased after riding my Schwinn BMX bike with Mag wheels to the 5 and Dime.We would scrounge glass bottles and turn em in for the money.Big fat RC and Coke bottles got you a quarter.

How about a big wheel or green machine,a big hill and a replica football helmet for protection.What a blast.come home bloody and Smelly.Good times.

Kick the can or tag with the kids on the block,until parents would scream 2hours after dark for you to finally come in.

Late night Angie Dickenson movies that showed full frontal. Wow!!!Hello Police Woman.

GI Joe and Army men.

Feeling really old now,but I think we may have been the last generation to enjoy life not plugged in.

Drab olive green and yellow kitchens/Shag carpet whoohooo....
    rr165892 said:

25 cent Topps Baseball cards.Which would be purchased after riding my Schwinn BMX bike with Mag wheels to the 5 and Dime.We would scrounge glass bottles and turn em in for the money.Big fat RC and Coke bottles got you a quarter.

How about a big wheel or green machine,a big hill and a replica football helmet for protection.What a blast.come home bloody and Smelly.Good times.

Kick the can or tag with the kids on the block,until parents would scream 2hours after dark for you to finally come in.

Late night Angie Dickenson movies that showed full frontal. Wow!!!Hello Police Woman.

GI Joe and Army men.

Feeling really old now,but I think we may have been the last generation to enjoy life not plugged in.

Drab olive green and yellow kitchens/Shag carpet whoohooo....

Definitely the last to enjoy life not "plugged" in.
    And thank GOD for that!

We had that olive shag carpet! And underneath were gorgeous original hardwood floors from the 30s, Sheesh.
    WWF wrestling on Saturday mornings. When Rickey the Dragon Steamboat and Brett the Hitman Hart were my two favorite wrestlers.

WWF wrestling on Saturday mornings. When Rickey the Dragon Steamboat and Brett the Hitman Hart were my two favorite wrestlers.

Back in the 70's I would watch Dick the Bruiser, The Crusher, Bobby Heenan (when he was a wrestler), Ox Baker, Ernie Ladd, Nick Bonkwinkle, Verne Gagne, etc.

Saturday and Sunday mornings were the best.
    Mom would be cooking a big breakfast, and later in the day, my dad and I would go bowling.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    rr165892 said:

Manhunt!! And the fire hydrant in the summer!

In my friends block we used to play football or volleyball in the street. It was a pretty dead block but every now and then a car would come and someone would yell "caaaaaar" and we'd get out the way so the car could pass then resume the game like there'd been zero interruption.

Chillin in the fire escape and going up to the roof for the 4th of July.

I'm sad now.

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    edited March 2015
    ldent42 said:

rr165892 said:

Manhunt!! And the fire hydrant in the summer!

In my friends block we used to play football or volleyball in the street. It was a pretty dead block but every now and then a car would come and someone would yell "caaaaaar" and we'd get out the way so the car could pass then resume the game like there'd been zero interruption.

Chillin in the fire escape and going up to the roof for the 4th of July.

I'm sad now.

City living.lol
    I cannot relate to the growing up in that enviorment,but we all kinda had the same activities.No hydrant for us slip and slides,sprinklers and pools.
    Post edited by rr165892 on