I miss back when....

Comments

• There was more simplicity
    There were phones with chords (that worked even when the power went out)
    I could have breakfast with my grandfather
    I made mix tapes
    Holiday meals had 30+ family members at them
    How I saw my parents as a child

And Oregon Trail
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

There was more simplicity
    I made mix tapes

And Oregon Trail

Sweetness. Can relate to all (grandmother though), except for the Trail!

But yeah. Nice post that brings a smile here. Thank you.
  • nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Posts: 857
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

I made mix tapes

And Oregon Trail

You're welcome. It was nice to spend some time thinking about those things again. Figuring out some things I truly missed. Several of those have only come to pass in the last 5-10 years. Family dynamic has changed pretty drastically.

And you gotta hit up some Oregon Trail. They have a new version now that I haven't played but the old one on the big floppy discs was the greatest crappy video game of all time!!!

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

• hedonist said:

I made mix tapes

And Oregon Trail

You're welcome. It was nice to spend some time thinking about those things again. Figuring out some things I truly missed. Several of those have only come to pass in the last 5-10 years. Family dynamic has changed pretty drastically.

And you gotta hit up some Oregon Trail. They have a new version now that I haven't played but the old one on the big floppy discs was the greatest crappy video game of all time!!!
    I was always getting dysentery. Those were the days.
  • hedonist said:

I made mix tapes

And Oregon Trail

Floppy discs....
    It is pretty cool that a worlds monopoly (read Microsoft) still uses a floppy disc icon to save.
    Kids of now don't know what that icon is other than merely save.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,310
    You could post your thoughts in these here forums without being banned.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    hedonist said:

What people are mostly missing in this thread is the general experience of being a child, without any particular worries aside from the little day to day issues, and with the luxury of time. Most of the specific experiences or items that people miss are still around in some way - not everything, of course, but most of it. Kids still walk to and from school and play outside, at least where I live. Kids still ride bikes. I miss my grandmother's sugar cookies, too, but mostly I miss my grandmother; my daughter and I can still bake her sugar cookies. For those of us lucky enough to have been born in Canada, the US, Australia, Western Europe, etc. our childhoods were pretty rosy so it's not surprising we miss them.

You always bring a nice, genuine thoughtfulness, oftenreading. Here too.

I will say, my childhood was marred and jarred, so maybe - for me - I do remember in a tighter (more emotional?) way, those other memories and the senses they hold.

It's like looking through old photo albums - with actual photographs - the wistfulness is separate from (but still connected to) who we are now.

Thank you hedonist. It sounds as if you have good memories that sit beside the jarring ones. I know they don't outweigh or negate the not so good ones but at least they are there to draw on.

One of the things I miss is climbing trees, which I used to do all the time. Of course, trees still exist and I could still climb one. The only thing stopping me is the fact I might feel a bit silly. We have a great tree in our back yard that we still call "the climbing tree", for the fact that our daughter used to climb high (as in 40 feet or more) when she was young. Perhaps I'll climb it when the weather gets a bit better. Maybe she'll even agree to climb it with me.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonist said:

I made mix tapes

And Oregon Trail

CLASSIC!!

• wasa1971wasa1971 Posts: 2,144
    When I was a kid vacations, summer holidays in particular, seemed to last FOREVER. It was complete freedom. Five dollars would make for loads of fun. We were gone all day, only coming home to rush through dinner and go back out again. You didn't have to be certain age to be left in the pool with your friends, you simply had to know how to swim. You prayed your Mom wasn't the first one to yell from the porch that it was time to come home. Back to back to back sleepovers, ahhhhh, life was perfect.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329

You could post your thoughts in these here forums without being banned.

:lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Recording songs from the radio...lol
    Calling in to the radio to request songs or just to hear yourself...back when they still took song requests on the radio...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

Calling in to the radio to request songs or just to hear yourself...back when they still took song requests on the radio...

I miss DJ's! The good ones, like Jim Ladd (will never forget him telling us of Lennon's death - awful news, but got it from a comforting and understanding voice).

Petty's song "The Last DJ" covered it pretty well. Gotta love Tom.

hedonist said:

PJSiren said:

I miss DJ's! The good ones, like Jim Ladd (will never forget him telling us of Lennon's death - awful news, but got it from a comforting and understanding voice).

Petty's song "The Last DJ" covered it pretty well. Gotta love Tom.

I miss them too...there was an awesome one when I lived in Longview WA, he would talk to us on the phone and then play our conversations over the radio...they'd be silly, cuz we were only 13...but he was fun! something Michaels was his name, I can't for the life of me recall his first name...only remember Michaels because I was in love with HBK Shawn Michaels at the same time...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJSiren said:

I used to make my own rock Dj tapes.Loved that shit.Thought I had my own Pirate Underground Rock station.
  • Yeah I remember collecting baseball and hockey cards. I still have them.
    PJSiren said:

I did that once and got RVM played on the radio. This was in the late 90's. Don't they do this anymore?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    edited March 2015
    *kids would pick out their Halloween costume, and their poor mother had to rush to sew one in time.
    *when people actually mended their clothing rather than just tossing it and buying new
    *when stuff like tools, refrigerators, TVs, and toys were built to last.
    *when kids respected adults
    *when food tasted *real* (seriously, organic food tastes so much better than crap gmo mush)
    *when you had to grab the grease crayon upon walking into the market because back then, you wrote the price on the container/bag/box-there was no scanner
    *people took leisurely vacations
    *the 'afterschool special' on TV
    *watching 'fun' shows on TV... like Sha-Na-Na and the Muppets.
    *when it would take 'forever' to dial someone because you had a rotary phone.
    *needing to call someone when you were out, so you just found yourself a telephone booth.
    Post edited by RKCNDY on
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    ...and back when 'sew' was a real word, and auto-correct wouldn't change it to 'see'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    RKCNDY said:

*kids would pick out their Halloween costume, and their poor mother had to rush to sew one in time.
    *when people actually mended their clothing rather than just tossing it and buying new
    *when stuff like tools, refrigerators, TVs, and toys were built to last.
    *when kids respected adults
    *when food tasted *real* (seriously, organic food tastes so much better than crap gmo mush)
    *when you had to grab the grease crayon upon walking into the market because back then, you wrote the price on the container/bag/box-there was no scanner
    *people took leisurely vacations
    *the 'afterschool special' on TV
    *watching 'fun' shows on TV... like Sha-Na-Na and the Muppets.
    *when it would take 'forever' to dial someone because you had a rotary phone.
    *needing to call someone when you were out, so you just found yourself a telephone booth.

Shows like Land of the lost-sigmond the sea monster-The monkees
    Someone mentioned earlier "playing in the road". I was reminded of something on the way to work, people in our neighborhood refuse to stop at stop signs.

I miss back when people stopped at stop signs and weren't in so much of a hurry to get everywhere. I read a local editorial a year or so ago where someone bitched about kids in the road and blah blah blah. In a neighborhood, kids of a certain age should be able to play in the road. I want to put up a basketball hoop but it'd have to be where the kids shoot from the road, I'm afraid to because assholes treat the neighborhood roads like a speedway.

Long story short, F you neighborhood speeders and those that can't stop at stop signs.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

I'm in a ranting mood....just read an email where the sender used "your" instead of "you're"

I miss back when grammar meant something. With this generation looking like a complete idiot is fine. There, their, they're are 3 different words. Then and than are 2 different words with 2 different meanings.

Now I can't wait for the 20 something to quote my post and show me my grammatical errors. I'm sure there are some, but I'm posting on a message board and getting my thoughts out quickly. I'm at least using the correct words. Also, I'm referring to a professional email.

#GrumpyOldMan
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

I miss back when grammar meant something. With this generation looking like a complete idiot is fine. There, their, they're are 3 different words. Then and than are 2 different words with 2 different meanings.

A-fucking-men!
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Can grumpy old men use hashtags?

I miss when lol, btw, omg and the like hadn't invaded our lexicon. It's okay in a text or on a message board, but not in speech!

smh
    #wtf

Someone mentioned earlier "playing in the road". I was reminded of something on the way to work, people in our neighborhood refuse to stop at stop signs.

I miss back when people stopped at stop signs and weren't in so much of a hurry to get everywhere. I read a local editorial a year or so ago where someone bitched about kids in the road and blah blah blah. In a neighborhood, kids of a certain age should be able to play in the road. I want to put up a basketball hoop but it'd have to be where the kids shoot from the road, I'm afraid to because assholes treat the neighborhood roads like a speedway.

Long story short, F you neighborhood speeders and those that can't stop at stop signs.

usually those speeders are ballers that think they own the road-my boss warned me to watch for other people in the neighborhood, "watch out for other people, they speed through here because they're rich and think they own the road, I've seen a lot of really bad accidents here."
    ...and today I almost got taken out by some guy in a beemer, blew through the roundabout at like 40.

- Christopher McCandless

Yeah I remember collecting baseball and hockey cards. I still have them.

PJSiren said:

I did that once and got RVM played on the radio. This was in the late 90's. Don't they do this anymore?
    You can request songs during certain radio shows...but it's rare...most of the time the DJ's play what they want and they only time they'll play something for you is if you have like a real-deal sentimental/emotional request/dedication going out to someone...it's really sad, my kid doesn't know what it's like to call in to a radio station...
    Tattooed Dissident!

There are several basketball hoops in our neighborhood and boys that play out in them, and there are cars that go speeding through the neighborhood too, I always worry about those boys...

I used to almost get plowed over on a regular basis at the fucking crosswalk walking to the train station every morning...and I went when it was my turn to go and the fucking cars didn't pay any attention, I kicked the shit out of one once, I even had my steel-toed shit kickers on when I did it and left a dent in their fender I was pleased with myself.
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

Yeah I remember collecting baseball and hockey cards. I still have them.

PJSiren said:

You can request songs during certain radio shows...but it's rare...most of the time the DJ's play what they want and they only time they'll play something for you is if you have like a real-deal sentimental/emotional request/dedication going out to someone...it's really sad, my kid doesn't know what it's like to call in to a radio station...
    One of the radio stations here does the alphabet request hour, last letter of the song title has to be the first letter of the next song so the DJ starts out with 'Stairway to Heaven' then someone calls in to request 'Nevermind', then the next request would be 'Daughter' etc, etc.

The afternoon show still has people call in to tell stories...

- Christopher McCandless
    Yeah the morning show that used to be on my country station of choice would have ppl call in, then the two DJs got let go for some mysterious reason...and then I know Nikki Six's show has people call in sometimes...and I used to listed to him, and there was a show I listened to late at night in college who had ppl call in...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I know I already said I miss local shops, but I'm specifically missing the local comic book stores.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    I miss a lot of our local shops that were in downtown hillsboro, so many of them have closed down over the past few years...it's stuff like antiques, thrift shops, off the wall random stuff...so fun to go down there for the afternoon and spend...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Awwww I miss my thrift store
    :bawling:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435