I miss back when....

Comments

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    My brother and I used to ride our bikes the couple of miles from our small town out to the country where my grandparents lived on a farm. I miss the freedom of that bike ride. The risky feeling of riding on gravel and then the short distance on the highway. No helmets. Wind in the hair. Dust sticking to our sweat. I miss digging in the garden at grandma's, going out into the remote cornfields to find the hidden patch of sweet corn and all of the mulberry bushes that only she knew existed. I miss her sugar cookies in her cookie jar. (Though my 10yo made a batch yesterday). Mostly I miss raising our food. I need to get at this gardening thing. I miss back when my dad used to work on his project cars in the garage on Sunday. I love the smell of exhaust and motor oil and dust. Throw in some cigarette smoke and I might feel like dad is back.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    When I was really little we lived on the 2nd fl but facing the back of the building. My parents used to let the cat out through the fire escape.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited March 2015
    Hide and go seek in the neighbourhood with the other kids that lived on the street and tag at the school playground. Marbles was the most popular game around grade 3. All the kids went out at recess, lunch and even stayed after school to play marbles in the holes they dug. Some marbles were worth more than others and you couldn't just go buy brand new- you'd get called out. You had to win the ones that had been owned by the best around. I can't remember how good I was. I just remember how fun it was- even just to watch.
    Gettoblasters and cassette tapes. School dances. Trying to talk discreetly to a girl on the phone in the living room with your parents just a few feet away. Walking to the corner store to buy chips and pop. Playing in the woods.
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818

Hide and go seek in the neighbourhood with the other kids that lived on the street and tag at the school playground. Marbles was the most popular game around grade 3. All the kids went out at recess, lunch and even stayed after school to play marbles in the holes they dug. Some marbles were worth more than others and you couldn't just go buy brand new- you'd get called out. You had to win the ones that had been owned by the best around. I can't remember how good I was. I just remember how fun it was- even just to watch.
    Gettoblasters and cassette tapes. School dances. Trying to take discreetly to a girl on the phone in the living room with your parents just a few feet away. Walking to the corner store to buy chips and pop. Playing in the woods.

Haha! Gettoblasters! I forgot that word! Right when I read it Michael Jackson started singing in my head. Thx
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • When I think of Michael Jackson I think of the Thriller vinyl. I remember listening to The Girl is Mine on my Dad's big stereo headphones and reading the lyrics. There was a drawing of Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney playing tug of war with a girl. That's back when I didn't even know who Paul McCartney was. I also remember being up really early, like 5:30 am when my dad listened to Culture Club on tape cassette before leaving for work. I used to watch him go down the street from the window to catch his work bus. We lived near the woods and I saw a few bears back then. I also remember shooting tennis balls at garage doors with a hockey stick, sometimes with my best friend who was a tomboy 2 doors down. Trick or treating door to door in the cold. Getting scratch and sniff stickers on school assignments from the teacher. Walking home from school.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    My sisters and I, while in grade school, walking home from school, for lunch. My dad worked nights, and would always have our lunches ready. Lipton soup, Campbell's soup, hot dogs, fried bologna sandwiches(still my favorite), mac and cheese.

Kids cant even walk to or from school these days. Sad
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    While in grade school, after homework was finished, walking to the high school 2 blocks away, and going swimming. They had open swim, indoor pool, for 2 hours a night. After swimming we would go and play basketball in the gym. I did this for years. My parents need not worry what I was up to. I was safe. The neighborhood was safe. I would be back home between 9 and 930pm. Then at 10 you watched the news on television(Every Night), then at 1030 you watched Johnny Carson till mom said it was time for bed.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Oh for fuck's sake...my husband STILL makes those fried bologna sandwiches. Not my thing, but boy does he love them.

My elementary school was less than a block from our house. Memories of my 8 or 9-year-old self walking home (and knowing my mom was there with a meal or snack) either for lunch or after school - among my favorites.

And there was rarely a second thought of us, at that age, roaming around our immediate neighborhood. Our neighbors were our friends - parents and kids alike.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

While in grade school, after homework was finished, walking to the high school 2 blocks away, and going swimming. They had open swim, indoor pool, for 2 hours a night. After swimming we would go and play basketball in the gym. I did this for years. My parents need not worry what I was up to. I was safe. The neighborhood was safe. I would be back home between 9 and 930pm. Then at 10 you watched the news on television(Every Night), then at 1030 you watched Johnny Carson till mom said it was time for bed.

Must be central time?
    What is a fried bologna sandwich? Why doesn't my autocorrect know the word bologna?

The deli had it on sale a little while ago so I ordered a quarter pound of bologna. The guy looked at me like I'm stupid. He goes "you want baloney?" Gave me flashbacks to the first time I ordered mozzarella sticks as a teen in a diner. Smh.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863

WWF wrestling on Saturday mornings. When Rickey the Dragon Steamboat and Brett the Hitman Hart were my two favorite wrestlers.

Bret Hart was my child hood hero!!! Hehe I loved wwf...grew up on it...I still refer to it as wwf.

I miss playing chicken in the streets with my friends...I was always the winner I was afraid of nothing but my mom as a kid....haha

I'm a 32 year old and though I'm fully connected and social network nut I can carry on full conversations with anyone who wants to talk...I love to talk it runs in my family, the gift of gabb.

I miss Saturday morning cartoons too...for me it was tiny toons...lol and darkwing duck...and after school cartoons those were the best too...

I miss just hanging out with my hs friends and listening to music...those were the days...my two best friends and rock.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    rr165892 said:

Must be central time?
    Yeah, Chicago
    ldent42 said:

What is a fried bologna sandwich? Why doesn't my autocorrect know the word bologna?

The deli had it on sale a little while ago so I ordered a quarter pound of bologna. The guy looked at me like I'm stupid. He goes "you want baloney?" Gave me flashbacks to the first time I ordered mozzarella sticks as a teen in a diner. Smh.

Fried Baloney on toast with butter. GOOD LORD!!!
    Poor man's steak.

hedonist said:

Oh for fuck's sake...my husband STILL makes those fried bologna sandwiches. Not my thing, but boy does he love them.

My elementary school was less than a block from our house. Memories of my 8 or 9-year-old self walking home (and knowing my mom was there with a meal or snack) either for lunch or after school - among my favorites.

And there was rarely a second thought of us, at that age, roaming around our immediate neighborhood. Our neighbors were our friends - parents and kids alike.

Your husband is a smart man. Fried Bologna is the greatest sandwich ever invented.

And yes, walking home at the age of 8-9, and not ever having your parents worry about us, is a thing of the past.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I miss Pearl Jam concert tickets that had our names on them

I miss the time I could eat whatever and how much of whatever and not gain a pound

I miss the time when I could tie my shoe and not lose my breath :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Trading lunch items at school. Playing football on the playground at recess. Playing basketball with my Dad. Or having him coach my little league baseball and soccer teams. He was in a horrible car wreck when I was about 12 and is now disabled so I am so thankful of those years getting to do those things with him. Having a paper route at the age of 12 and getting $100 a month and thinking I was the richest kid on the planet. It was hard work being up at 5:30 every morning back then but that was how I funded paying $300 for one of the first CD players when they first came out and funded my love of music.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Sunday night family dinners, with my sisters and parents. Always a big Sunday dinner.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661

rr165892 said:

Must be central time?
    Yeah, Chicago
    I lived in the tiny section of NW Indiana that was on central time. I actually liked watching the news at 10 instead of 11. SNL coming on at 1030 instead of 1130. You could watch an extra hour of the world series before having to go to bed.the whole country should go to central time.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    What people are mostly missing in this thread is the general experience of being a child, without any particular worries aside from the little day to day issues, and with the luxury of time. Most of the specific experiences or items that people miss are still around in some way - not everything, of course, but most of it. Kids still walk to and from school and play outside, at least where I live. Kids still ride bikes. I miss my grandmother's sugar cookies, too, but mostly I miss my grandmother; my daughter and I can still bake her sugar cookies. For those of us lucky enough to have been born in Canada, the US, Australia, Western Europe, etc. our childhoods were pretty rosy so it's not surprising we miss them.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

rr165892 said:

Must be central time?
    Yeah, Chicago
    I lived in the tiny section of NW Indiana that was on central time. I actually liked watching the news at 10 instead of 11. SNL coming on at 1030 instead of 1130. You could watch an extra hour of the world series before having to go to bed.the whole country should go to central time.
    Exactly!

I miss Walter Cronkite

hedonist said:

Your husband is a smart man. Fried Bologna is the greatest sandwich ever invented.

And yes, walking home at the age of 8-9, and not ever having your parents worry about us, is a thing of the past.
    Ha! Just read this comment to him. His response? Eyeroll and "duh" =)

Empty! :rock_on:

Digging this thread.

• For those of us lucky enough to have been born in Canada, the US, Australia, Western Europe, etc. our childhoods were pretty rosy so it's not surprising we miss them.

Amen. I lived in the bahamas for half a year and plan on taking my kids. I want to take them so I can take them to the other side of the islands where the locals live. Its not quite 3rd world country but close enough. People living in small shantys they setup with some sheets of plywood. I want my kids to appreciate where they were born and to know they were blessed to have an xbox and all the things they take for granted as they are kids.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

What people are mostly missing in this thread is the general experience of being a child, without any particular worries aside from the little day to day issues, and with the luxury of time. Most of the specific experiences or items that people miss are still around in some way - not everything, of course, but most of it. Kids still walk to and from school and play outside, at least where I live. Kids still ride bikes. I miss my grandmother's sugar cookies, too, but mostly I miss my grandmother; my daughter and I can still bake her sugar cookies. For those of us lucky enough to have been born in Canada, the US, Australia, Western Europe, etc. our childhoods were pretty rosy so it's not surprising we miss them.

You always bring a nice, genuine thoughtfulness, oftenreading. Here too.

I will say, my childhood was marred and jarred, so maybe - for me - I do remember in a tighter (more emotional?) way, those other memories and the senses they hold.

It's like looking through old photo albums - with actual photographs - the wistfulness is separate from (but still connected to) who we are now.

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Enjoying this thread. A lot of us have similar memories. For me, also:

Going out after dark to watch the fireflies.

Catching these guys was a time-honored tradition for Texas kids:

They were everywhere! Now they are nearly extinct.

Roller skating on the sidewalks. Playing kickball in the street.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    What in the name of Jeebus is that thing?
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863

Enjoying this thread. A lot of us have similar memories. For me, also:

Going out after dark to watch the fireflies.

Catching these guys was a time-honored tradition for Texas kids:

They were everywhere! Now they are nearly extinct.

Roller skating on the sidewalks. Playing kickball in the street.

My friend Calvin used to catch them and chase me and his sister around with them! Lol
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJSiren said:

My friend Calvin used to catch them and chase me and his sister around with them! Lol

Ha ha! I can remember boys doing that too.

Ident, that is a Texas horned lizard, usually called a horned frog or a horny toad. They are the mascot of TCU.
    Unlike most lizards, they are fairly slow so they were easy to catch. They only look fierce. They're fairly docile.

You could find them just about anywhere. They have been wiped out in most areas because of pesticides and loss of habitat.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    We used to play pick up games of baseball at the little league fields. Anywhere from 6-15 of us. Those were the good ole days.
  • Yeah I remember collecting baseball and hockey cards. I still have them.
  • I really haven't posted on this thread.. Because there's really not much I miss about the back when aspect of my life. I didn't have much of a great childhood. But what if it WAS good, was pretty damned good!! I maybe miss the freedom of not having to worry about rent, ( that was short lived, as I left Home at 16).