Options

Mexico City travel advice thread

Comments

• Options
    VH123058VH123058 Posts: 146
    Coming in from LA. Wife comes to Mexico City for work every 3 months so she knows her way around. Hablamos espanol,so let's get a meet up together and enjoy some PJ.
  • Options
    thebreakerthebreaker Posts: 22
    Absolutely. Taking my brother as his 40th B-day gift/celebration. Still 6+ months out so not much sense making definitive plans just yet, but excited to throw some ideas around. We are staying in the Roma/La Condessa district.
  • Options
    odiedragonodiedragon Arena, WI Posts: 206
    Following for tips and advice... probably only doing Friday-Sunday, flying from Chicago.
    "So now, I drink wine." - Milwaukee, WI 10/20/14
    "How fortunate were we that we were born in Chicago..." - Rosemont, IL 5/14/15
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
    "Cómo se dice 'really high'?" - Mexico City, DF 11/28/15
  • Options
    GA Line. What are your thoughts?

I figured there's no reason to travel that far and NOT try for a good place... but now I'm hearing a lot of people that are (indirectly) telling me I'm nuts. Or at least that's how I feel now.

Thoughts? I'm honestly not sure I want to go that far if it's not safe to at least try...
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836

GA Line. What are your thoughts?

I figured there's no reason to travel that far and NOT try for a good place... but now I'm hearing a lot of people that are (indirectly) telling me I'm nuts. Or at least that's how I feel now.

Thoughts? I'm honestly not sure I want to go that far if it's not safe to at least try...

There have been a few of us who have mentioned going the GA line by noonish, but I don't know about camping out from the day before. Maybe try and connect with a couple of other GA hard cores to go down as a group if you have concerns. Now if these are other people in your life giving you advice on it take it with a very large grain of salt. I have one sister who keeps saying 'if you're willing to die for a concert than go ahead' - she is being ridiculous. Just be smart and you will be fine. Don't let others rain on your happy parade.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    The people I'm talking to are also 10c people. It's more that I thought we were on the same page... but apparently we're not.

Surprisingly, my wet blanket husband isn't opposed to the idea of getting there ridiculously early...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The safety thing wasn't so much about Mexico City itself... though that's a concern, that's more of a "use your head and keep your wits about you" kind of thing. The concerns I was hearing were that GA would be rougher than a typical US show. I can't tell if that's true or just rumor.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    It will be more physical, there won't be a whole lot of the standing around like there is at the US shows and there probably won't be any attention given to personal space but as long as you know that is going to be the case you should be fine. I'm going solo and I feel totally comfortable with my GA tickets, I think it's going to be an amazing experience.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321

The safety thing wasn't so much about Mexico City itself... though that's a concern, that's more of a "use your head and keep your wits about you" kind of thing. The concerns I was hearing were that GA would be rougher than a typical US show. I can't tell if that's true or just rumor.

Haha, yep, i can 100% confirm GA in Mexico is rougher than in the US.
    i mean, it's not like people will try to hurt you or anything like that... But yeah, personal space won't be respected... AT ALL. If you try to get to GA very early, just be prepared for lots of touching, pushing and sweat, with people breathing down your neck (or back if you are tall ;) ).
    What I usually do, is get there 1 hour early, hang out relatively close to the stage (where i can still freely move)... and when the lights go out slowly make my way to the front. There's still lots of touching, pushing and sweat... but at least the band is already playing and i don't care anymore.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    caifan82 said:

What I usually do, is get there 1 hour early, hang out relatively close to the stage (where i can still freely move)... and when the lights go out slowly make my way to the front. There's still lots of touching, pushing and sweat... but at least the band is already playing and i don't care anymore.

Good advice, thank you! An hour is enough time?! I've got a friend with GA tickets as well and she was thinking afternoon, shooting for a spot off to the side.

Knowing me I won't decide until right before the show...
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    tickets and flight booked, just need to work on hotel!
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    General A ticket secured, where is everyone else sitting? Really excited for this show, should be a great tour ender. Viva la Mexico!
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    I am looking to come to this show, anyone have a spare GA (Section A) ticket? I only need a single....
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 918
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Grand Prix Hotel. Looks close to the venue and priced pretty reasonable. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    The Grand Prix certainly looks convenient, but I don't know about the surrounding area. I guess it all depends on how long you are staying and what you are looking to get out of your visit. My brother and I are staying in the La Condesa/Roma district which from what I read is a pretty happening area. So night life and sight seeing outside of the PJ show should be fun. Downside might be transportation. Would love to find a reliable private driver ala Uber style. Anyone have a hook up down there?
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 918
    Possibly a 15-Passenger we could rent-to and from the hotel to the venue? Pick up at x time, drop off at show, take back to hotel.
    thebreaker, La condesa have airport shuttle?
  • Options
    SB203502SB203502 Posts: 3
    There is definitely Uber in Mexico City. A buddy and I are staying at the four Seasons and might use their car service if anyone else is staying there too and wants to split it. Can't wait.
  • Options
    DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    I still need to book flights, hotel, it's getting close !!
    2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5
  • Options
    Is anyone going to the Colombia show before Mexico City?
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,048
    I have an extra single Mexico City ticket in section VE-07A, row 3. Face value. PM me if interested.
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    VickyCVickyC Birmingham UK Posts: 2
    Hi first post! me and the hubby are coming from Birmingham in the UK, our first (hopefully of many) PJ show outside the UK. Not too sure where we will be staying yet but will be there from the 26th to the 29th, can't wait
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,625
    DSTRUB said:

That's my plan. Leaving Colombia on Friday morning.
  • Options
    ShaqdaddyShaqdaddy Calgary, AB Posts: 157

DSTRUB said:

That's my plan. Leaving Colombia on Friday morning.
    The friend I'm meeting in Mexico City is going to be coming from Columbia - anyone looking to sell tickets to the Columbia show?
  • Options
    ShaqdaddyShaqdaddy Calgary, AB Posts: 157
    Anyone staying in the Zona Rosa area? I work with a guy that grew up in Mexico City and recommended that area - will be a long trek to the show but for the rest of the trip he said we will be able to walk to lots of restaurants, bars and short cabs to sites.
  • Options
    Maybe you mean Zona Roma? Condessa/Roma is the trendy happening part of the city with tons of mescal bars, restaurants, night life etc. This is where my brother and I are staying.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    La Condessa here, which is just next to Zona Rosa. I think it's a great area to stay. Only downside is it's not close to the venue, but transit should still be running after the show. Worst case a cab should work.
  • Options
    candaceandcocoacandaceandcocoa Bel Air, MD, USA Posts: 62
    I'm looking for a single GA A for Mex City. Please let me know if you have one!

Thx!!
  • Options
    DSTRUB said:

Yeah Il be at both shows
  • Options
    I finally booked my flight!! At a very good price :). Now... Airbnb? Or Hotel??
    2015= Mexico City
    2017= EV @ Ohana
  • Options
    Sinnamin_GrrlSinnamin_Grrl Charlotte, NC Posts: 68
    Thanks for the thread Ryan!! You will have 2 more Winnipeggers at the Riazor!! (But we are going to Mazatland for a few days before the concert to do some all inclusive and ziplining!!). We check in early on the same day of the show. Perhaps we could group to the show though!
    Chicago, IL Aug 20'16
    Columbia, SC Apr 21'16
    Greenville, SC Apr 16'16
    Mexico City, MEX Nov 28'15
    Denver, CO Oct 22'14
    St. Paul, MN Oct 19'14
    Chicago, IL (Wrigley) Jul 19'13
    London, ON Canada Jul 16 '13
    Winnipeg, MB Sep 17 '11
    East Troy, WI (Alpine Valley) on Sep 4 '11 & Sep 5'11
    Philly PA (Spectrum) Oct 30 '09
    Vancouver, BC Canada Sep 25'09