Options

Mexico City travel advice thread

Flights are reasonable compared to other stops so Mexico City may be in the cards for a 4-5 day PJ weekend.

have not travelled to Urban Mexico / Mexico City... don't speak Spanish, and am quite unsure about booking hotel etc... to see the sights, enjoy time with fellow PJ fans, and of course have a fun safe time at the show.

Where to stay ($100-150USD/ night) that is fairly accessible (via transit) to venue, night life, tourist stuff for a weekend trip.

Am 100% confidant and experienced in travelling through US and Canadian cities for pleasure and business. Just unsure of Mexico.

suggestions on where to stay? What to see? Public transit, travel and concert safety tips etc.. Am sure PJ in Mexico wont be anything like the US and Canadian show Ive been fortunate to attend!

Trying for tickets Monday regardless.... good luck to all.

Thanks much!
IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
EV Vancouver 2008
Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
Wrigley July 2013
Vancouver & Seattle 2013
Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
Mexico City 2015
Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
Ohana 2019 

Comments

• Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Bump.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,762
    edited March 2015
    I'm in the same boat as you. I was looking at trying to do two shows (Belo and Rio) but flights to Mexico City are 1/3 the price as Belo Horizonte or Santiago. I don't have a lifestyle that would let me hang around for a few days with little ones at home but I've always wanted to see Pearl Jam in Mexico. I'm thinking about flying in the day before, seeing the show and flying out the day after. I'd be flying out of Toronto and curious if anyone else has contemplated this?

From the airport in Mexico City to the stadium, is about an 8 minute car ride. If I could find a hotel between the two destinations (or close by), I wouldn't need to worry about transportation. Just bounce around for a few days on the shoelace express. While flights are cheap, hotels for that area seem to be a bit pricey (or maybe I'm just out of the loop).

Should I try for tickets or is this silly? Someone either talk me off this ledge or tell me to jump!
    Post edited by Dead Man Walking on
  • Options
    Yeah guys you should come, I bet the Mexico shows will be awesome, I dont think the flights are too expensive, about the hotels there are a few, there is one crossing the street to the Foro Sol its called Grand Prix Hotel or you can find different hotels and prices maybe 20 or 30 min away from the Foro. Even closer to the airport there are more options. There´s a lot to see here in Mexico, the Zocalo, Coyoacan, nice places and the food shouldnt be too expensive either. Just let us know!
  • Options
    Where do I go for tickets, can't seem to find it for the Friday sale? Thx
  • Options

I'm in the same boat as you. I was looking at trying to do two shows (Belo and Rio) but flights to Mexico City are 1/3 the price as Belo Horizonte or Santiago. I don't have a lifestyle that would let me hang around for a few days with little ones at home but I've always wanted to see Pearl Jam in Mexico. I'm thinking about flying in the day before, seeing the show and flying out the day after. I'd be flying out of Toronto and curious if anyone else has contemplated this?

From the airport in Mexico City to the stadium, is about an 8 minute car ride. If I could find a hotel between the two destinations (or close by), I wouldn't need to worry about transportation. Just bounce around for a few days on the shoelace express. While flights are cheap, hotels for that area seem to be a bit pricey (or maybe I'm just out of the loop).

Should I try for tickets or is this silly? Someone either talk me off this ledge or tell me to jump!

Thinking similar, Toronto to Mexico for a quick Thurs Sunday.
  • Options

Where do I go for tickets, can't seem to find it for the Friday sale? Thx

Its the same link for ten club sale the website will be updated
  • Options
    stmccartstmccart Posts: 14
    Has the Mexico City info been posted. I'm pretty sure its after 9am cst but I can't find it...
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    I booked the hotel Hotel Riazor about 25-30 minute walk from venue. Safety thoughts walking back after show?

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    ryanjp2323ryanjp2323 Posts: 561
    Jump Dead Man!

IM in! got two general A tickets in 10C presale. Now to set up the rest of the trip! Anyone from Canada or that wants to coordinate travel is welcome. Thinking Thursday to Monday to include a few tourist stops. Looks like all reasonable Air Canada flights are through Toronto. PM me as will be booking flight soon!

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Mexico City 2015
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    I'll be coming in from New York...

ryanjp2323...that's not the same Ryan that I traded a ticket for merch with in Seattle '13 and just ran into in the midwest is, it? :)
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Ryan. I saw air canada had a round trip from tor for 577 a few days ago. Now they're at 855. I decided to go through us airways for about 580 cnd. I have to transfer in Dallas but I just couldn't justify and extra $300 pp
  • Options
    ElMachoBionicoElMachoBionico Mexico City Posts: 18

I booked the hotel Hotel Riazor about 25-30 minute walk from venue. Safety thoughts walking back after show?

It's much better to take a cab at that hour.

11/24/2011: Mexico City, Mexico
    11/11/2015: Porto Alegre, Brazil
    11/28/2015: Mexico City, Mexico
    08/20/2016: Chicago, United States
    08/22/2016: Chicago, United States
  • Options
    Elmacho. I plan to stay farther west. Around reforma. Would you recommend cab or metro after the show?
  • Options
    ElMachoBionicoElMachoBionico Mexico City Posts: 18
    Red Lukin said:

Elmacho. I plan to stay farther west. Around reforma. Would you recommend cab or metro after the show?

Definitely a cab. The metro in Mexico City always closes at 12 AM, so it's very probable that it won't be an option after the show.
    11/24/2011: Mexico City, Mexico
    11/11/2015: Porto Alegre, Brazil
    11/28/2015: Mexico City, Mexico
    08/20/2016: Chicago, United States
    08/22/2016: Chicago, United States
  • Options
    10c presale WTF am I missing I see nothing anywhere shit.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649

It's much better to take a cab at that hour.

Thanks - just figured gettting a cab would be imposssible after the show.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Found it but wife shut it down Damn they better do a Canadian tour or something..
  • Options
    caabcacaabca Posts: 5
    Okay I'm in! Also flying out of Toronto.
  • Options
    Red Lukin said:

Ryan. I saw air canada had a round trip from tor for 577 a few days ago. Now they're at 855. I decided to go through us airways for about 580 cnd. I have to transfer in Dallas but I just couldn't justify and extra $300 pp

i'm originating out of Winnipeg. Air Canada the whole way is looking like my only option. will look at United etc... that connect through Chicago, Minni or Denver. likely three legs that way though!

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Mexico City 2015
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826
    edited March 2015
    Looks like a crew of Canadians are headed south :) flying out of northern BC myself. I'm also booked at the Hotel Riazor.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    AaronhallAaronhall Wallaceburg Posts: 39

Looks like a crew of Canadians are headed south :) flying out of northern BC myself. I'm also booked at the Hotel Riazor.

My girlfriend and I are heading to the show from Ontario as well. Just booked 3 nights at the Hotel Riazor!
    no time to be void or save up on life. you got to spend it all.
    Hamilton - September 15, 2011
    London - July, 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh - Oct. 11, 2013
    Buffalo - Oct. 12, 2013
    Cincinnati - Oct. 1, 2014
    Detroit - Oct. 16, 2014
    Moline - Oct. 17, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, New York City - September 26, 2015
    Mexico City - November 28, 2015
    Quebec City - May 5, 2016
    Ottawa - May 8, 2016
    Toronto I - May 10, 2016
    Toronto II - May 12, 2016
    Chicago I - Aug 20, 2016
    Chicago II - Aug. 22, 2016
    London I - June 18, 2018
    Padova - June 24, 2018
    Rome - June 26, 2018
    Seattle - August 8, 2018
    Chicago I - August 18, 2018
    Chicago II - August 20, 2018
    Sea Hear Now, Asbury Park - September 18, 2021
    Ohana Encore I, Dana Point - October 1, 2021
    Ohana Encore II, Dana Point - October 2, 2021

• Options
    Thanks elmacho. I was thinking IT might be tough to get a cab.

To the few who booked hotel raizor how's the area around the hotel? When I looked the other day it seemed a bit dead by the venue. Seemed good for 1 night but for 3-5 days it seems downtown or reforma has more restaurants and things to do.
  • Options
    I'm in at the Riazor as well! Canada representing.

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Mexico City 2015
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options

Red Lukin said:

i'm originating out of Winnipeg. Air Canada the whole way is looking like my only option. will look at United etc... that connect through Chicago, Minni or Denver. likely three legs that way though!
    Booked points so heading Air Canada through TO. just $200 and change for taxes etc!

Excited... just have to wait 8 months!

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Mexico City 2015
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options

I'll be coming in from New York...

ryanjp2323...that's not the same Ryan that I traded a ticket for merch with in Seattle '13 and just ran into in the midwest is, it? :)

Nope different Ryan... had tickets lined up in advance in Seattle. Looks like we've been following each other around though!

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Mexico City 2015
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826
    Red Lukin said:

Thanks elmacho. I was thinking IT might be tough to get a cab.

To the few who booked hotel raizor how's the area around the hotel? When I looked the other day it seemed a bit dead by the venue. Seemed good for 1 night but for 3-5 days it seems downtown or reforma has more restaurants and things to do.

I just did a quick google maps check before I booked and you're right it's not right in the thick of things but it has enough around and seems to be fairly close to transit so if you were there for a few days you could get around. It's a personal preference for me to be closer to the venue as I had really bad experience trying to get back to my hotel after a show once. But if your looking to be more in the thick of it then it may not be what you are looking for.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

I just did a quick google maps check before I booked and you're right it's not right in the thick of things but it has enough around and seems to be fairly close to transit so if you were there for a few days you could get around. It's a personal preference for me to be closer to the venue as I had really bad experience trying to get back to my hotel after a show once. But if your looking to be more in the thick of it then it may not be what you are looking for.

Good point. I'm second guessing myself now. It's a 2 hour walk from where I want to stay or 22 min cab ride. But there's never a guarantee of catching a cab after a show..
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I booked the Riazor too.
  • Options
    just google walked from the Raizor to the venue. Says 40 min (likely only 20-30) but the area looks a bit sketchy for a night time walk. Not worried at all about getting over to venue on busy roads in daylight Saturday AM, downtown or elsewhere for some tourist sights on Friday and Sunday, or getting to / from airport (hotel shuttle)... just somewhat concerned re getting back after the show.

getting a cab out after will likely be tough and have been reading about cab safety issues as well. Safety in numbers if there was a group walking back i guess? Anyone have thoughts or experience?

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Mexico City 2015
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    Ohana 2019 
  • Options
    DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    Just got my GA tickets tonight to Mexico City! So pumped!

We plan on staying one or two nights near the stadium, within 2.0miles away... I wouldn't mind walking it, or easy cab ride. My fiancé speaks fluent Spanish so I'm lucky to have her tag along with me the whole trip. That will help...

I think it will be an epic show being the last show of the Latin Amer Tour
    2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5