Options

What the hell happened in Wisconsin?

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    anybody see the most recent episode of Vice?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    Sometimes it's justified when cops shoot and kill people. But a lot of the time it seems like the cops are killing people just to avoid getting a scratch or a bruise or a kick to the shin rather than avoiding serious injury or death. I don't think that seems right given the nature of their jobs. What happened to cops physically restraining unarmed people instead of shooting them dead, especially when we're talking about mentally ill people? Lately I feel like some cops would shoot someone to avoid getting hang nail.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJ_Soul said:

Sometimes it's justified when cops shoot and kill people. But a lot of the time it seems like the cops are killing people just to avoid getting a scratch or a bruise or a kick to the shin rather than avoiding serious injury or death. I don't think that seems right given the nature of their jobs. What happened to cops physically restraining unarmed people instead of shooting them dead, especially when we're talking about mentally ill people? Lately I feel like some cops would shoot someone to avoid getting hang nail.

Or if the cops outnumber baddie 5 to one.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    PJ_Soul said:

To avoid a hang nail? Seriously? Cops are put in life threatening situations on a daily basis. I wonder what percentage of people that have interactions with the police actually get shot. Im sure a quick google search would answer that. My guess is that its less than 1%.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

To avoid a hang nail? Seriously? Cops are put in life threatening situations on a daily basis. I wonder what percentage of people that have interactions with the police actually get shot. Im sure a quick google search would answer that. My guess is that its less than 1%.
    Waaaaaaaaay less than 1%.

And the people making lame comments about cops being wusses simply have no idea of being in harm's way. They blissfully go about their day seemingly unaware that cops in all facets of crime are keeping a lid on trouble for them.

There are definitive cases of cop abuse and brutality, however I am consistently stunned when people think a cop shooting someone who is attacking them falls into that category as well- sometimes with comments like, "Who cares if you get a broken nose or dinged up a bit?"

Huh?

Geezuz, man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:

that's a tad much, don'tcha think?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah,PJ I think you may be off base on this one.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

PJ_Soul said:

Waaaaaaaaay less than 1%.

And the people making lame comments about cops being wusses simply have no idea of being in harm's way. They blissfully go about their day seemingly unaware that cops in all facets of crime are keeping a lid on trouble for them.

There are definitive cases of cop abuse and brutality, however I am consistently stunned when people think a cop shooting someone who is attacking them falls into that category as well- sometimes with comments like, "Who cares if you get a broken nose or dinged up a bit?"

Huh?

Geezuz, man.
    Agreed, it is probably way less than 1%. And of those shootings, I'd guess a very large percentage involved some sort of jackassery on the part of the perp leading up to the shooting. On the AMT, for all of the cop shootings we've discussed, in almost every case (except of course Tamir Rice), the dude who got shot could have easily created a different outcome for himself.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    With the advent of video, that can't be refuted by police, it has come to light that there are citizens being abused and killed by cops when unnecessary. It would of kept on or gotten worse but now can be addressed.

Yes it is rare but it happens and needs to be addressed.

Started with Rodney.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

With the advent of video, that can't be refuted by police, it has come to light that there are citizens being abused and killed by cops when unnecessary. It would of kept on or gotten worse but now can be addressed.

Started with Rodney.

Rodney the saint?
  • Options
    Not saying he had it coming because I'm not.But the dude was not a stand up citizen.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't understand how you folks didn't pick up on the fact that I wasn't being literal. I thought the hang nail comment would make that more than obvious.
    I think you get my point though? Of course I don't mean all cops. That's why I said "some" cops. And yeah, it happens pretty often! Not always shooting them, but using tasers and stuff - unjustified excessive force - and tasers actually kill more people in Canada than cop's guns do, absolutely. Happens all the time. The cops even taser people to avoid running more than 6 feet, seriously. Hell, the cops taser little kids who are throwing tantrums sometimes!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't understand how you folks didn't pick up on the fact that I wasn't being literal. I thought the hang nail comment would make that more than obvious.
    I think you get my point though? Of course I don't mean all cops. That's why I said "some" cops. And yeah, it happens pretty often! Not always shooting them, but using tasers and stuff - unjustified excessive force - and tasers actually kill more people in Canada than cop's guns do, absolutely. Happens all the time. The cops even taser people to avoid running more than 6 feet, seriously. Hell, the cops taser little kids who are throwing tantrums sometimes!
    bullshit. show me stories of that. cops tasering kids "sometimes" for throwing tantrums.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Just google cops tasering children. A lot of results.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

generally when someone makes a claim, the onus is on them to provide back up. not say "do it yourself".

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ, there's an irony in this - where many have decried using lethal force vs. other methods such as tasers or rubber bullets. It's sort of like damned if you (they) do or don't.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    In fact, from the latest article about today's shooting in Arizona (man who killed one and shot several others):

Police used a stun gun to subdue the suspect and led him out of a residential complex in a white full-body suit with his wrists shackled and took him to a hospital, television station 12 News, an NBC affiliate, reported.

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015
    Posted this in the police abuse thread, thought maybe it belongs in this thread too. Perhaps retraining needs to be done in Wisconsin too.

Not sure if anyone's posted this. NYC cops are to be retrained.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/04/368515762/nyc-police-will-be-retrained-de-blasio-to-hold-news-conference
    New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York Police Department Commissioner Bill Bratton have announced plans to give training to police officers to help them treat all citizens with equal respect and with equal regard for their safety.

"These changes are happening because the people demanded it," de Blasio said.

The pair appeared at a news conference Thursday, one day after a grand jury declined to indict police officer Daniel Pantaleo in the July death of Staten Island man Eric Garner.

Speaking at the New York City Police Academy, de Blasio said the city's officers will do things a different way. De Blasio also noted that despite large protests Wednesday, only 83 people were arrested.

You can watch the live video above; we'll update this post as news emerges.

• Options

Posted this in the police abuse thread, thought maybe it belongs in this thread too. Perhaps retraining needs to be done in Wisconsin too.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/04/368515762/nyc-police-will-be-retrained-de-blasio-to-hold-news-conference
    New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York Police Department Commissioner Bill Bratton have announced plans to give training to police officers to help them treat all citizens with equal respect and with equal regard for their safety.

The pair appeared at a news conference Thursday, one day after a grand jury declined to indict police officer Daniel Pantaleo in the July death of Staten Island man Eric Garner.

Speaking at the New York City Police Academy, de Blasio said the city's officers will do things a different way. De Blasio also noted that despite large protests Wednesday, only 83 people were arrested.

shit like that is nothing more than a PR stunt to appease the raging public. how many cops actually go through and fulfill that training, i would guess would be near zero.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

Started with Rodney.

Rodney the saint?
    Really RR. REALLY?!?! Who said he was a saint? Being dumb doesn't mean one deserve to be beaten to death. Cops are not judge or executioner.

Rodney pointed out as the beginning of video. Prior cops word over all others. This changed that dynamic.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Not saying he had it coming because I'm not.But the dude was not a stand up citizen.

Phew. Glad you added this.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ, there's an irony in this - where many have decried using lethal force vs. other methods such as tasers or rubber bullets. It's sort of like damned if you (they) do or don't.
    Tasering is better than shooting. Holding someone down on the ground is better than tasering. The point is that they should be using the least harmful method that reasonably possible, whatever the situation is. I don't feel like that is happening in a lot of cases.
    Obviously, when discussing this issue, NONE of us are talking about all or the majority of instances or cops. But we're talking about what seems like a systemic problem within a very large system.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

generally when someone makes a claim, the onus is on them to provide back up. not say "do it yourself".

I said that because it would give you the most complete info. The google results show much more than I would put together in a post.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not all cops, minor few but agree and great post.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Tasering is better than shooting. Holding someone down on the ground is better than tasering. The point is that they should be using the least harmful method that reasonably possible, whatever the situation is. I don't feel like that is happening in a lot of cases.
    Obviously, when discussing this issue, NONE of us are talking about all or the majority of instances or cops. But we're talking about what seems like a systemic problem within a very large system.

Least harmful method, I wonder if that's taught at police training.
    Especially when there's 4 cops on one guy on the ground and the ultimate decision was to shoot the guy dead -- because he was reaching for a cop's gun.
  • Options

shit like that is nothing more than a PR stunt to appease the raging public. how many cops actually go through and fulfill that training, i would guess would be near zero.

Well, the NYC police are an embarrassment to say the least. If anyone needs it, they do. They need to learn what respect is while at it.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

My guess is that 100% complete the training...but the training will be so weaktea sex harassment in the office talk where you doze off for half an hour and then sign a piece of paper.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited March 2015
    Let's say that a bunch of white college kids are drunk & harassing people as they walk around a city. Someone calls the cops because drunk college kids are causing a problem. Cops show up & one white college kid mouths off at cop because he's drunk & his self entitlement is in overdrive. Starts yelling about his constitutional rights & starts to walk towards officer. Does the cop shoot him because he fears the kid will take his gun or assault him? He has no idea if the kid is armed. Does the cop shoot the kid; should he?
    Now, let's say a black kid is harassing people as he walks around his neighborhood, which is several miles away from where the college kids are getting drunk. He runs into his house when he knows the cops are coming.. He leaves in a body bag cause cop said he was in fear of his life AND HE REACHED FOR HIS GUN. No one saw this, but the police officer says that's what happened. (And really, we all know how these kids are, right?
    The black kid may or may not be an angel, just as the drunk white college kid may or may not be angels. Not many kids that age are angels. Do they deserve to die?
    The white college kids do not have an ingrained fear of being harassed or killed by police. They have never been stopped on the road just because they look suspicious to a particular police officer. They can't even imagine anything worse than being possibly taken down to the station & having to explain their behavior to their parents. The black kid has grown up knowing that police officers shoot as a first resort instead of last resort. He knows people, or has personally experienced, being profiled. He has every expectation that the police officer is going to hurt or kill him. He is unarmed. But the cop has a gun, pepper spray, taser, club AND training on how to de-escalate dangerous situations. He is trained to use only the appropriate amount of force, if any, to get the situation under control. Yet, he uses the most lethal weapon in the most lethal way within minutes.
    Most cops are good people who want to protect & serve. Some cops are trigger happy yahoo's with pre conceived notions about certain types of people. Some people are extremely dangerous, gun carrying lunatics, most are not.
    No one should be shot dead for the crime of acting like a teen age asshole. No one.

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Drunk or not, listen to fucking cops, you probably won't leave in a body bag. White or black.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm all for the tasering of children.
    Keeps them quiet and off my lawn.