Options

"I don't know if the president loves the United States..."

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

I couldn't disagree more with BSLs bleak take on life in America.
    Where apparently there is no path to success by working hard and all cops are non human Nazi thugs.The only path to higher learning is with crippling debt,And there are no jobs that pay a living wage.You say the Rich don't want to pay their fare share of taxes while pining for Deeper entitlements.Arent you complaining you have to pay aTON for healthcare while simultaneously wanting others to cover the bill?
    BSL,You say you are forced to eat constantly with huge portions because food is everywhere you look , you have to be wary of non whites.Arent these internal personal choices?Where does ones self responsibility come into play.
    I can tell you this,You can still do anything you want in this country.Anything.
    If you want it bad enough a person can rise above all that crap and find a good life.For those that want it and are willing to work hard can find good jobs and seek creative ways to further their learning and education.Land of oppurtunity.Sorry you can't see it.
    The big problem really is that not enough people want to put in the sweat equity to better themselves on their own.Too many expect a hand out,And rely on it instead of blazing their own trail.Always blaming others,religion,government,the rich,etc for what's wrong with their view of the world.

Re the bolded above, rr, I so wish that were true. It's like the old Horacio Alger stories. Yeah, sometimes, with a lot of hard work, and some good breaks, these stories come true. Of course it's so much easier if you are white and male. The truth is (and I think you know this is true) for a LOT of people in this country, the odds are stacked against them hugely. I'd bet anything those stories were made up to make us white guys feel OK about our good fortune.

So it's ok not to try? Use
    Except failure based on the cards you were dealt? Use it as an excuse? No Brian.I won't buy that.I refuse to believe in this day in age that anyone would think they can't succeed in life.
    Sure some have a tougher road then others,but crushing the dreams of bettering ones situation should never be a thought.
    I get the perspective thing and agree with the thought that it can be an easier path some and not others.but still not an excuse to not try to improve ones situation.
    I believe the modern day poet Edward Vedder said" He won the lottery by being born".
    We may differ somewhat on this issue, rr, but I do agree we should try. I was dealt a big blow when my ears got trashed and it was a hard struggle to get back out of the ditch. But shoot, man, I'm mail, white and stubborn! But yeah, that's why I like Henry Rollins line: "Hack or pack" (but I also think H. R. would get my drift too.)

BS44325 said:

Ha. On the Net Neutrality thread both BSL and Lux called me the miserable one...never positive. Who's the wet-blanket now!

Whoa, wait! Show me where I said you were miserable and never positive! Yes, I did say you exaggerate (actually I think the word I used was "hyperbole") but "miserable" and "never positive"? Nate mon!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Edward vedder. That sounds corny

:rofl:

Listening to some of that uke stuff(not my fav) I agree.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

So it's ok not to try? Use
    Except failure based on the cards you were dealt? Use it as an excuse? No Brian.I won't buy that.I refuse to believe in this day in age that anyone would think they can't succeed in life.
    Sure some have a tougher road then others,but crushing the dreams of bettering ones situation should never be a thought.
    I get the perspective thing and agree with the thought that it can be an easier path some and not others.but still not an excuse to not try to improve ones situation.
    I believe the modern day poet Edward Vedder said" He won the lottery by being born".

With you on the gist of this, friend.
    How could we not bestow those values on our up and coming youth and young adults?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Where apparently there is no path to success by working hard and all cops are non human Nazi thugs.The only path to higher learning is with crippling debt,And there are no jobs that pay a living wage.You say the Rich don't want to pay their fare share of taxes while pining for Deeper entitlements.Arent you complaining you have to pay aTON for healthcare while simultaneously wanting others to cover the bill?
    BSL,You say you are forced to eat constantly with huge portions because food is everywhere you look , you have to be wary of non whites.Arent these internal personal choices?Where does ones self responsibility come into play.
    I can tell you this,You can still do anything you want in this country.Anything.
    If you want it bad enough a person can rise above all that crap and find a good life.For those that want it and are willing to work hard can find good jobs and seek creative ways to further their learning and education.Land of oppurtunity.Sorry you can't see it.
    The big problem really is that not enough people want to put in the sweat equity to better themselves on their own.Too many expect a hand out,And rely on it instead of blazing their own trail.Always blaming others,religion,government,the rich,etc for what's wrong with their view of the world.

Try going to college and actually affording it. "Creative ways?" Tell me, oh Wise One. Prove to me that all I've said is not true. Not squirm around the truths, but actually that any one of the points I've made are false. You can't. I made the point about self-control, we agree on this. Other than that, the attitude about handouts, land of opportunities, blazing own trails? How about looking at the country for as it is, the statistics, the big picture and an objective perspective without blaming an entire class of people. Like I said, denial.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

My "bleak take" on life in America. Listen, I know that when you are immersed waist-deep in anything, your perspective on the world is only the details. I know that looking objectively at this country is nearly impossible for many people because they are so deeply held to their "patriotism" and loyalty. But, hey, truth telling doesn't get me many friends, but it gets me the right ones. I'm thankful that I can look objectively at this country while actually immersed in society. I still haven't heard anyone prove me wrong on any of my points in my posts. It's not my opinion, it's actually what's going on. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me that things are just as good here in America as they were back in the 90s, pre-9/11, pre-GWB administration and that nothing has changed. I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong that the increasing gun culture has made this country worse for the taking.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Ha. On the Net Neutrality thread both BSL and Lux called me the miserable one...never positive. Who's the wet-blanket now!

Ahem, net neutrality was a big win against corporations, you chose to be a wet mop about that win. I'm stating facts about American society, sure it sounds bleak, because it is. My perspective on how to live is far from cynical, but bring up truths that folks don't want to hear because it breaks their delusions about the world and people can't help but get reactionary. Reality's a bitch.
  • Options
    It sounds to me BSL that you feel life is punching you in the gut.Im sorry to hear that you have a path filled with obstacles.Im assuming of course that your POV is what forms your outlook.Im not trying to jump to conclusions,and if I'm wrong I Apologize in advance.

First off College can be FREE for those willing to give service to their country.Its called the GI bill.you may not like that path but it exists.Also Many non brick and mortar campuses exist that are quite affordable without running up debt.Many states like mine have converted all Junior colleges into 4 year institutions with expanded fields of learning and paths to a 4 year degree.These colleges are very inexpensive and available to all members of our community and state.At very little cost.
    For some traditional college isn't the only way.Many industries subsidies education costs and provide training in many areas that can be parlay into very good paying jobs.(Catapiller is a great example)
    I don't squirm around any truths and I'm no hypocrite.I practice what I preach.When I see my country I in no way come up with the same horrible view.Perspective?Maybe.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    There are great and not great things about our country.

BSL points out some really crappy ones but they are very valid.

Being able to view world through others eyes or attempting to is great quality. Many just do not have ability or interest in doing so.

I know I'm a lucky mofo for being a white male. I recognize this every day.

Supreme Court deciding fate of healthcare for masses today. That is sooooooo fucked up.
    Course no Supreme Court debate on war spending. That's just small part of American hypocrisy.

But Goddamn I'm stoked at fun I'll have this weekend that I couldn't do in any other countries.

Ying yang.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

It sounds to me BSL that you feel life is punching you in the gut.Im sorry to hear that you have a path filled with obstacles.Im assuming of course that your POV is what forms your outlook.Im not trying to jump to conclusions,and if I'm wrong I Apologize in advance.

First off College can be FREE for those willing to give service to their country.Its called the GI bill.you may not like that path but it exists.Also Many non brick and mortar campuses exist that are quite affordable without running up debt.Many states like mine have converted all Junior colleges into 4 year institutions with expanded fields of learning and paths to a 4 year degree.These colleges are very inexpensive and available to all members of our community and state.At very little cost.
    For some traditional college isn't the only way.Many industries subsidies education costs and provide training in many areas that can be parlay into very good paying jobs.(Catapiller is a great example)
    I don't squirm around any truths and I'm no hypocrite.I practice what I preach.When I see my country I in no way come up with the same horrible view.Perspective?Maybe.

Sacrifice your poor ass in wars for rich to get college funding. Woo hoo what a deal. Agree if one is smart and tries they can get secondary school for less money but top companies only hire from good colleges so most poor kids will never have a chance. Oh oh they can fight , that's right.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Good empathy there at the top, rr. I mean that- no sarcasm intended.

The route you suggest has worked well for others but can be disastrous as well. For example, young men (such as one I know very well) who signed up just before the Iraq war (and you never know when a bogus war will commence) and served two or three tours of duty and came back physically and/or mentally screwed for life. Yes, the man I know is taking advantage of getting some college and will do him well but how do you erase the psychological collateral damage? I've seen the effects. It's not pretty. It's not patriotic. It sucks big time.

But yes, there are other routes and I've encouraged all of my extended family kids (mostly males, all white) to go take advantage of them and I'm glad they are there.

But how do you address our squandering of our resources, outsourcing jobs to slave labor overseas, our not signing the Kyoto Protocol, our propensity for eating garbage and trashing our bodies as a result, our invasive, imperialistic aggression in other parts of the world, our insisting on continuing our oil dependence instead of developing alternatives, our ban on growing hemp... to name a few of the many ways we squander our potential. That's the key to me. We have so much potential but instead we choose to be a cheese doodle ingesting, aggressive, anti-progressive, anti-intellectual, mindless entertainment consuming people.... when we could be so much more!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

We have so much potential but instead we choose to be a cheese doodle ingesting, aggressive, anti-progressive, anti-intellectual, mindless entertainment consuming people.... when we could be so much more!

The freedom to choose. That is why America is great.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Choices. Ha. Well the decision is predetermined by information previously absorbed by the brain.

Participating in dialog with humans that have views different than your own can change one predetermined choices.

Great board this is. And those that participate have courage.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

Good empathy there at the top, rr. I mean that- no sarcasm intended.

The route you suggest has worked well for others but can be disastrous as well. For example, young men (such as one I know very well) who signed up just before the Iraq war (and you never know when a bogus war will commence) and served two or three tours of duty and came back physically and/or mentally screwed for life. Yes, the man I know is taking advantage of getting some college and will do him well but how do you erase the psychological collateral damage? I've seen the effects. It's not pretty. It's not patriotic. It sucks big time.

But yes, there are other routes and I've encouraged all of my extended family kids (mostly males, all white) to go take advantage of them and I'm glad they are there.

But how do you address our squandering of our resources, outsourcing jobs to slave labor overseas, our not signing the Kyoto Protocol, our propensity for eating garbage and trashing our bodies as a result, our invasive, imperialistic aggression in other parts of the world, our insisting on continuing our oil dependence instead of developing alternatives, our ban on growing hemp... to name a few of the many ways we squander our potential. That's the key to me. We have so much potential but instead we choose to be a cheese doodle ingesting, aggressive, anti-progressive, anti-intellectual, mindless entertainment consuming people.... when we could be so much more!

Thx Bri,No disrespect was meant at all.Im glad you could see that.
    You know I'm with you on the garbage food issue.I live that way and believe it is a catalyst to better health which then has a whole range of positive reprocussions.I am totally with you on hemp.What a versatile product.Not much I can do about Foriegn policy but as individuals I think we can push progressive thinking and ground breaking ideas forward and that's exciting.Thats key.Thats how your alternative to oil dependency and renewable resources will be brought to market.By individuals who want to live in a better world.But we have to live it not complain about it.
    You know,I watched a show on what really happens to our Garbage.Whats reused,what's buried,what's used as energy.Whats with all the waste?Instead of just feeling over whelmed and bummed about what I saw,we decided to actively be part of making at least our end of the spectrum better.We re though how we used simple things like plastic bags and wrap and what product packaging we were purchasing to reduce our waste footprint.We already used cloth shopping bags,recycle and and try to switch everything to glass or recycled pulp products not plastic.I know it's tiny tiny on the grand scheme but it's a forward movement.Why be upset and angry over issues like this when we can create positive change.
  • Options
    callen said:

There are great and not great things about our country.

BSL points out some really crappy ones but they are very valid.

Being able to view world through others eyes or attempting to is great quality. Many just do not have ability or interest in doing so.

I know I'm a lucky mofo for being a white male. I recognize this every day.

Supreme Court deciding fate of healthcare for masses today. That is sooooooo fucked up.
    Course no Supreme Court debate on war spending. That's just small part of American hypocrisy.

But Goddamn I'm stoked at fun I'll have this weekend that I couldn't do in any other countries.

Ying yang.

Soooo what are doing this weekend Cal,do share.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

You can't seem to understand that I am not pointing out my personal life or personal POV. I'm pointing out your country's flaws. *face palm* I'm using the perspective of being objective here.

As for college costs, I know about the GI bill but I'm talking about the nation-wide tuition costs of 4 year colleges. Did you know that going to a Canadian college is cheaper? And these colleges are advertising to American students to entice them. It's because of the unaffordable tuition costs here. Not to insult, but one would have to live under a rock to not know about this problem. Trade jobs, yeah I'm right there with you with the on-the-job training and paying for classes. There needs to be a comeback for trade work that would involve a large number of people.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

rr165892 said:

You can't seem to understand that I am not pointing out my personal life or personal POV. I'm pointing out your country's flaws. *face palm* I'm using the perspective of being objective here.

As for college costs, I know about the GI bill but I'm talking about the nation-wide tuition costs of 4 year colleges. Did you know that going to a Canadian college is cheaper? And these colleges are advertising to American students to entice them. It's because of the unaffordable tuition costs here. Not to insult, but one would have to live under a rock to not know about this problem. Trade jobs, yeah I'm right there with you with the on-the-job training and paying for classes. There needs to be a comeback for trade work that would involve a large number of people.

Unfortunately,
    most colleges today are no different than a for-profit business.
    it's a scam... i agree with teaching people trades they can use in the real world.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Scam is the key word when dealing with anything college related.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

BSL,I know all about College tuition and associated living costs trust me.I am currently paying for 3.at three different fine institutions of higher learning.lol
    The issues you bring up are not Foriegn to the rr household.
    Lots of things are cheaper in Canada,don't me started on health care.But I think if it makes someone's dreams of college come true if that's their path,then it's a viable alternative to the states.
    My thought about how to subsidies post grade 12 education,whether trade based or traditional learning is to exchange education for public service.If young people had a system where they could give of themselves to better our society and in return tuition credits could be issued and used at any institution that receives any federal assistance or subsidies.,I would be all for a bump in my tax load to pay for such a program.Coukd you imagine what we could do with a win/win system.Hell you can expand it to also help With immigration.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

BSL,I know all about College tuition and associated living costs trust me.I am currently paying for 3.at three different fine institutions of higher learning.lol
    The issues you bring up are not Foriegn to the rr household.
    Lots of things are cheaper in Canada,don't me started on health care.But I think if it makes someone's dreams of college come true if that's their path,then it's a viable alternative to the states.
    My thought about how to subsidies post grade 12 education,whether trade based or traditional learning is to exchange education for public service.If young people had a system where they could give of themselves to better our society and in return tuition credits could be issued and used at any institution that receives any federal assistance or subsidies.,I would be all for a bump in my tax load to pay for such a program.Coukd you imagine what we could do with a win/win system.Hell you can expand it to also help With immigration.
    Completely agree with you on that!

• Options
  • Options
    Obama says it like it is.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

His whole Selma speech spoke this issue, and was very relevant to the disagreement you and RR were having.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Not to discount the sentiment, but I think this has been said before in many ways.

As to "occasional disruption", that term can come off as gentle and lamblike...not a fan of the violent kind. I think Obama spoke to something similar this past week...?

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015
    rgambs said:

His whole Selma speech spoke this issue, and was very relevant to the disagreement you and RR were having.
    Thank you, I didn't hear the Selma speech or this news... (I must have been under a rock this past week, something my head cold contributes to.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-reifowitz/the-selma-speech-obamas-a_b_6846610.html
    The Selma Speech: Obama's America vs. Giuliani's America

When Rudy Giuliani recently accused President Obama of not loving our country or its people, he removed the last scintilla of doubt as to whether he had anything positive to contribute to our political discourse. Giuliani claimed that the president shows a "disinclination to emphasize what is right with America" and instead offers constant criticism. Never mind that such a charge is absolutely baseless.

Beyond the lack of truth, consider what Giuliani's statement reveals about how someone who does love America is supposed to talk. He and other conservatives have long attacked the president for not embracing their understanding of American exceptionalism. To these critics, loving America apparently means talking about our country the way an overindulgent, coddling parent would talk to a 5-year-old. Barack Obama knows better.

I wrote a book about Obama's conception of American identity, as well as his depiction of our country's values and history. Although in my research I came across countless examples of him talking about America, I've never heard him do so in as profound a way as he did in Selma this Saturday. The president subtly rejected the Giuliani approach, noting that America isn't "stock photos or airbrushed history or feeble attempts to define some of us as more American than others. We respect the past, but we don't pine for the past. We don't fear the future; we grab for it. America is not some fragile thing." Instead, referencing the march that he and so many other had come to commemorate, he asked:
    What could be more American than what happened in this place? What could more profoundly vindicate the idea of America than plain and humble people -- the unsung, the downtrodden, the dreamers not of high station, not born to wealth or privilege, not of one religious tradition but many -- coming together to shape their country's course?
    What greater expression of faith in the American experiment than this; what greater form of patriotism is there; than the belief that America is not yet finished, that we are strong enough to be self-critical, that each successive generation can look upon our imperfections and decide that it is in our power to remake this nation to more closely align with our highest ideals?
    That's why Selma is not some outlier in the American experience. That's why it's not a museum or static monument to behold from a distance. It is instead the manifestation of a creed written into our founding documents:
    "We the People...in order to form a more perfect union."
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
    These are not just words. They are a living thing, a call to action, a roadmap for citizenship and an insistence in the capacity of free men and women to shape our own destiny. For founders like Franklin and Jefferson, for leaders like Lincoln and FDR, the success of our experiment in self-government rested on engaging all of our citizens in this work. And that's what we celebrate here in Selma. That's what this movement was all about, one leg in our long journey toward freedom."
    These are not just words. They are a living thing, a call to action, a roadmap for citizenship and an insistence in the capacity of free men and women to shape our own destiny. For founders like Franklin and Jefferson, for leaders like Lincoln and FDR, the success of our experiment in self-government rested on engaging all of our citizens in this work. And that's what we celebrate here in Selma. That's what this movement was all about, one leg in our long journey toward freedom.
    Obama's America emphasizes real progress and also tells hard truths about our shortcomings. It presents an inclusive story in which all of us can recognize our connection to America and our fellow Americans.
    Full speech at link above.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Yeah, kinda like Edward Snowden......

• Options

For a while there I really didn't see that as the case. But more and more (and thank goodness!) this seems to be true. It seems like he's taking the opportunity, at last, to come through on some issues the way we had hoped he would. Always better late than never and I'm glad for it.

• Options
    Yeah, kinda like Snowden. Although people who don't like their boat rocked with inconvenient truths will just continue to deny… What a way to live.

And Brian, it's so easy to point fingers at the scapegoat at the top, but his whole administration, he had wolves breathing down his neck, refusing to even consider some of his ideas (the GOP), let alone the rest of racist America. I give him props for handling this bullshit behavior from an entire party refusing to work with him. It certainly can't be easy. At least he didn't let the GOP rob him of his ideals, even if they were too lofty to ever consider to be realistic in this country. He had a LOT working against him.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Seems to me that he's the ONLY one in DC doing ANYTHING. And I'm not a huge supporter. But let's be real here, who's been more of a disappointment? The clowns of the GOP or the potus?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Seems to me that he's the ONLY one in DC doing ANYTHING. And I'm not a huge supporter. But let's be real here, who's been more of a disappointment? The clowns of the GOP or the potus?

Exactly!
  • Options
    dignin said:

Yeah, kinda like Edward Snowden......

Right!