badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Yes, and they have visited Earth
    Fuck! Why won't it post
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Content unavailable!
  • Options
    A name I can't associate with is going to post something about your mistake soon.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    chadwick said:

we've 14 folks from 2,290 light years away staying in the basement. i admit the one they call 'charlie' gets on my nerves a bit when he gets in the walls, pounding on them & hanging upside down while singing pantera songs & soft hits from the 60's & 70's. im just a bit tired of england dan & john ford coleyare

But who played them the soft rock in the first place? You have only yourself to blame :rock_on:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Here is a video that Pap posted on another thread. Pretty cool and thought provoking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQtfMR-UKd0
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Yes
    Nope. Of all the whole universe in all its inconceivable immenseness and grandeur yep. We humanic dork asses are the only ones. yep.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    No
    It is fascinating to see how sure some of you are of something that there is absolutely no proff of. Reminds me of religious zealouts.
  • Options
    It is fascinating that religious zealouts come up in a thread about aliens....
  • Options
    And who, pray tell, are these religious zealots you speak of?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

And who, pray tell, are these religious zealots you speak of?

Who?
    Me or this last exit guy?
  • Options
    Well, I know Scott personally so I wouldn't ask him the question on the board. I'd just call him up. But I would like to know your thoughts on your post.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Well, I know Scott personally so I wouldn't ask him the question on the board. I'd just call him up. But I would like to know your thoughts on your post.

I don't know this guy personally and have to ask questions on the board. I can't call him up. A blanket statement such as religious zealots should be explained further since not everyone is a friend of the poster making the statement. Since it is an open public forum any statement made is allowed to be questioned if not understood. So the onus is on the poster to explain why it reminds him/her of religious zealots so as to avoid any confusion.
  • Options
    But I asked you. And u didn't answer. Should I bombard you asking you the question 10 times now? I'm just curious to see who you consider religious zealots on the forum. Not a hard question to answer. Really just curious.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2015
    badbrains said:

But I asked you. And u didn't answer. Should I bombard you asking you the question 10 times now? I'm just curious to see who you consider religious zealots on the forum. Not a hard question to answer. Really just curious.

I am reminded of religious zealots in the same fashion as this last exit guy is. It is bizarre that I can talk about him through you but can't quote him. Yet when I want to talk to him I get you.
    I need some rum

edit - punctuation
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    So for the 3rd time, I'm asking you. It's obvious he doesn't want to answer you, but I'm asking for myself. Here, I'll ask you it like this. Do you think I'm a religious zealot? Are you implying that I am? How about that? This way you're only answering me.
  • Options
    Oh wait, my bad. I read your post wrong PjFan. I thought your question was more of a statement. I totally read it wrong. My apologies.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No

the universe is crazy big but really folks...we don't know of any planets that will sustain life as we know it to be,not even Mars is good for sustaining life for any amount of time ,no water no vegetation and the weather really sucks up there from what Ive read.

Godfather.

you have a short memory.

and show me where I mocked your beliefs.

...we don't know of any planets that will sustain life as we know it to be

Godfather.

check this out:

http://themindunleashed.org/2015/02/scientists-discover-another-earth.html

the site kept jumping around and wouldn't let me go that story but I have a few quesations , how far away is it ? light years away ? and did the artical state that scientists are 100% positive that this planet would sustain human life ?

a hundred years ago space travle was a dream even as slow as it is today it's still mind bending but who knows where the next 100 years will take us,will it be posible to travle a twice the speed of light or faster ? .....wouldn't that be great ..another planet to go to war over (that's a joke)
    Im open to the posibilties of all this stuff but it's kind of crazy that man can find another star or planet that is light years away but can't provide any positive proff of alien life or space craft, Im not saying it is not there but I haven't seen anything to say it is there.

Godfather.

500 light years.
    being that far away, no, all they can do is hypothesize at best. all they know is that it is in the goldilocks (habitable) zone, which means it has the right temperature and atmospheric pressure to sustain life AS WE KNOW IT.

to be honest, I'm not even sure why scientists are looking that far away. how the hell would we get there? it's impossible. at the moment, anyway. if it takes LIGHT 500 years to get there, how long is that in spaceship years? 1 light year is 10 trillion kilometers.

so 500 of them is 5000 trillion km's.

or approximately a motherfucking long way.

maybe it's not about finding a place to move maybe just the thought that a planet so much like earth is out there ? I'll go along with the possibility that other life like ours exisits and habitable planets are out there but in all fairness we really don't know yet and like you said 500 light years away is a friggin stretch but so was the moon at one time as was flight itself so really...who knows what the future holds ?

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

23scidoo said:

100 billions stars in our galaxy..100 billions galaxys in our universe..and we still believe we are alone..how much selfish we are??..

from what I hear most or all the galaxy's we are aware of can not sustain life as we know it, I've always wondered about all the t.v. shows that claim the government is hiding secretes about ufo's
    and reverse engineering ufo technology for military reasons,if there is other life as we know it then why haven't we seen proof positive facts of it by now ?

Godfather.

We are aware of almost nothing.
    I don't find it selfish, but I do find it pretty arrogant. Kind of along the same lines of the arrogance of thinking God considers humans to be so special.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

23scidoo said:

100 billions stars in our galaxy..100 billions galaxys in our universe..and we still believe we are alone..how much selfish we are??..

from what I hear most or all the galaxy's we are aware of can not sustain life as we know it, I've always wondered about all the t.v. shows that claim the government is hiding secretes about ufo's
    and reverse engineering ufo technology for military reasons,if there is other life as we know it then why haven't we seen proof positive facts of it by now ?

Godfather.

I don't find it selfish, but I do find it pretty arrogant. Kind of along the same lines of the arrogance of thinking God considers humans to be so special.
    well.......there's one out to right field, why the God comment ?

Godfather.

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Yes

It is fascinating to see how sure some of you are of something that there is absolutely no proff of. Reminds me of religious zealouts.

Proof of life on other planets is impossible because of the distances involved. The nearest star to us, the sun, is reachable in 8 minutes at the speed of light.

Sirius, the next closest star to us, is reachable in 8.6 years traveling at the speed of light. (speed of light = 186,000 miles per second).

The fastest rocket going 90,000 miles per hour (ignoring fuel needs and other logical things) would take 64,066 years to reach Sirius. ....So, barring any interdimensional wormholes or whatever, unless said possible intelligent life form has a life span of 64,000 years, we are never going to see it..

And of course I'm talking about life only near the next nearest star.
    The milky way galaxy has 400 Billion of them. Scientists have determined that one in five stars in our galaxy has an earth-sized planet in a habitable zone. That means that there are
    80 billion chance of life spawning on another planet just in our galaxy alone.

oh yeah and there's about 225 billion galaxies.

Considering the physical impossibility of "proof" coupled with the 180,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 opportunities for life (80 billion times 225 billion), what is the thought process involved in thinking that , no...we are the only ones. http://splitsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/meganamram.jpg

P.S. I like this picture

It's what hubble captured on what was thought to be a dark, empty part of the night sky about the size of a keyhole.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yes
    rollings said:

Proof of life on other planets is impossible because of the distances involved. The nearest star to us, the sun, is reachable in 8 minutes at the speed of light.

Sirius, the next closest star to us, is reachable in 8.6 years traveling at the speed of light. (speed of light = 186,000 miles per second).

The fastest rocket going 90,000 miles per hour (ignoring fuel needs and other logical things) would take 64,066 years to reach Sirius. ....So, barring any interdimensional wormholes or whatever, unless said possible intelligent life form has a life span of 64,000 years, we are never going to see it..

The milky way galaxy has 400 Billion of them. Scientists have determined that one in five stars in our galaxy has an earth-sized planet in a habitable zone. That means that there are

Considering the physical impossibility of "proof" coupled with the 180,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 opportunities for life (80 billion times 225 billion), what is the thought process involved in thinking that , no...we are the only ones. http://splitsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/meganamram.jpg

P.S. I like this picture

It's what hubble captured on what was thought to be a dark, empty part of the night sky about the size of a keyhole.
    Proof of life isn't impossible! A radio/light/microwave signal would only take the 8.6 years to reach us, and could be enough evidence to assure us of life elsewhere. And, like I mentioned before, we may have life inside this very solar system, on Mars or Europa.
    90,000 mph is not even close to the hypothetical top speed that we can travel. If a roundish asteroid were hollowed out and made into a wessel it could be accelerated to at least half the speed of light. At such a high velocity, the travellers would experience relativistic travel. A 20-40 year journey would be only a few years to the inhabitants of the "ship".
    This is why the Fermi paradox exists, even given the ridiculously vast distances, "local" areas could be reached by advanced (and lucky) lifeforms.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    No
    rollings said:

P.S. I like this picture

That doesn't at all sound like a religious argument. It still sounds like you are relying of faith. More of a hope.

I understand the probabilities. Well, in theory. And I'm open to those possibilities. But I'll ask again, why are all of you opposed to the idea that we could be the only life in the universe? Nobody has answered that yet.
  • Options
    I am not opposed to the idea that we could be the only life in the universe - would be cool in a rulers of the universe kind of way.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yes

rollings said:

P.S. I like this picture

That doesn't at all sound like a religious argument. It still sounds like you are relying of faith. More of a hope.

I understand the probabilities. Well, in theory. And I'm open to those possibilities. But I'll ask again, why are all of you opposed to the idea that we could be the only life in the universe? Nobody has answered that yet.
    Same reason I am opposed to the idea of the finger waggin' big man in the sky who co-wrote the Bible with Abraham.
    It is just entirely improbable. Not impossible, but highly improbable.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not opposed, but find it highly unlikely that we are IT (could be the agnostic in me).
  • Options
    edited February 2015

PJ_Soul said:

23scidoo said:

Godfather.

well.......there's one out to right field, why the God comment ?

Godfather.

Just because I think belief in God is the epitome of human arrogance, so it seems like a good comparison when talking about the arrogance of humankind. It's really not out of right field at all. Thinking humans might be the only "intelligent" creatures in the whole universe is almost exactly the same kind of thinking that fuels religion. I.e. we're just THAT fucking special.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No
    It is funny how you can use religion as and argument for the existence of life outside the earth and I can use it as an argument against the existence of other life forms.
  • Options

It is funny how you can use religion as and argument for the existence of life outside the earth and I can use it as an argument against the existence of other life forms.

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    rgambs said:

rollings said:

P.S. I like this picture

Proof of life isn't impossible! A radio/light/microwave signal would only take the 8.6 years to reach us, and could be enough evidence to assure us of life elsewhere. And, like I mentioned before, we may have life inside this very solar system, on Mars or Europa.
    90,000 mph is not even close to the hypothetical top speed that we can travel. If a roundish asteroid were hollowed out and made into a wessel it could be accelerated to at least half the speed of light. At such a high velocity, the travellers would experience relativistic travel. A 20-40 year journey would be only a few years to the inhabitants of the "ship".
    This is why the Fermi paradox exists, even given the ridiculously vast distances, "local" areas could be reached by advanced (and lucky) lifeforms.
    And if we receive a signal, should we answer? Should we send out our own signal, not knowing who might answer?

This exact question was being discussed this week by people from all sorts of disciplines, from astronomers to science fiction writers.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/world/dialing-et-but-maybe-getting-klingons-scientists-debate-sending-out-signals-for-alien-life-1.1762721
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf