Options

Very Upset with CD-Rs

Comments

• Options
    umlawgradumlawgrad Posts: 24
    It's amazing the number of people here that think the band or anyone working on behalf of the band can do no wrong.

I am happy to have CD bootlegs. I merely think it should have been made more clear that the CD were CD-Rs and not standard CDs as was the case in 2000 and 2003. This is not even referenced on the bootleg order page. Here is the quote from the FAQ:

"What are the details on the CDs?
    In addition to digital bootlegs, CDs will be made-to-order using recycled material. The price for hard copy bootlegs is $16.99/show and will be available exclusively through www.pearljam.com."

I know for a fact that may people do not purchase CD-Rs for various reasons.
  • Options
    eddieved24eddieved24 Posts: 107
    So Sorry Guys, I know this is really dumb, but I need some help here. I have read all thee above posts, but to be honest I am still confused. I just want to know what a cd-r is in the first place. Will I be getting a physical cd in the mail that I can play in my portable cd player? that is all I really care about. I have boots going back to 92, so I have heard the band sound shitty, and I have heard them sound crystal clear. I am not really worried about the quality, just want to know what a CD-R is! Again I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge on the subject!
    all those paper plates......
  • Options
    Notch89Notch89 Posts: 71
    eddieved24 wrote:
    So Sorry Guys, I know this is really dumb, but I need some help here. I have read all thee above posts, but to be honest I am still confused. I just want to know what a cd-r is in the first place. Will I be getting a physical cd in the mail that I can play in my portable cd player? that is all I really care about. I have boots going back to 92, so I have heard the band sound shitty, and I have heard them sound crystal clear. I am not really worried about the quality, just want to know what a CD-R is! Again I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge on the subject!
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq01.html#S1-1
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206
    I hope we don't get bootlegs from here on. I'll still get the shows, but i hope we don't have official releases any more. The 10C has bent over backwards for everyone for 17 years. We as a whole, don't deserve it any more. And that saddens me for those of us who love every official recording that's available.

Remember 2007? We'd kill to have 2007 bootlegs w/the 2008 quality.

You just don't seem to grasp the concept that we are all very happy that they offer bootlegs. We are pissed for a few reasons:

1) We don't automatically agree with anything related to PJ
    2) 10C mis-led everyone, most likely in an effort to increase sales
    3) Shipping. If you buy one boot for $17, it gets shipped right away. If you bought multiple boots in the same order for $17 each, you wait for CD-R's you could have downloaded and burnt yourself weeks ago. We should save money on shipping by waiting for a combined order!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,025
    It did say 'burn-to-order cd's'

Then why didn't you?

I'm totally happy w/them.
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm sure they will rock when I do. I'm so tired of all the BS threads on here how bad they are
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm sure they will rock when I do. I'm so tired of all the BS threads on here how bad they are
    LukinFan, you always come across as a pretty sharp guy IMO, so I'm just wondering...How could ALL these threads and ALL these complaints be BS? Do you honestly think everyone is just making this stuff up? There are some legitimate gripes here. Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    SadlipSadlip Posts: 17
    I hope we don't get bootlegs from here on. I'll still get the shows, but i hope we don't have official releases any more. The 10C has bent over backwards for everyone for 17 years. We as a whole, don't deserve it any more. And that saddens me for those of us who love every official recording that's available.

Remember 2007? We'd kill to have 2007 bootlegs w/the 2008 quality.

OMFG, this person above is really off base. You hear a lot of this over the years. What the heck does it mean that we don't deserve it anymore??? You pay to be a part of something, they provide a service.

It's like saying we as a whole don't deserve the refreshing taste of Coca-Cola!

To be clear, no one's bending over backwards for anyone else. We pay, they provide a service. It's pretty simple.

In this case, they mislead people thinking they were ordering pressed CDs and are actually shipping CDRs. I could give a shit what this COMPANY, or any COMPANY has done for me over the years. When you have false advertising, it's false advertising. While it may not be a big deal to you, it is a big deal to folks who ordered one thing, and are going to get another.
    9/8/98 East Rutherford
    8/24/00 Jones Beach
    10/13/00 MSG-Nader Rally
    7/9/03 MSG
    10/1/04 Reading
    6/1/06 East Rutherford
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    7/1/08 Beacon
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    I don't understand any of this techie stuff. I just hope I get a cd I can listen to and relive the awesome show I saw. Not sure what order they are making these in but I haven't got mine yet for DC. Has anyone else got theirs yet?
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    pilatesdog wrote:
    For goodness sake , Pearl Jam offers fans an opportunity to purchase bootlegs of shows and you fucks constantly bitch. Would you rather have some drunken idiot holding up some recording device that you can here his girlfriend trying to sing every song. Be thankful you latched onto a great band who tries to be as fan friendly as possible. Become a Metallica fan!
    thats what mine sounds like,obviously you dont understand.
  • Options
    gvn2fly74 wrote:
    thats what mine sounds like,obviously you dont understand.
    Mine too. The Bonaroo boot sounds like there were 12 people in the middle of a field in Tennessee all drunk on moonshine and one of them had a recorder. It's almost embarrasing. I would NEVER play it for anyone else.
  • Options
    rydbrydb Posts: 9
    mdg164 wrote:
    You just don't seem to grasp the concept that we are all very happy that they offer bootlegs. We are pissed for a few reasons:

1) We don't automatically agree with anything related to PJ
    2) 10C mis-led everyone, most likely in an effort to increase sales
    3) Shipping. If you buy one boot for $17, it gets shipped right away. If you bought multiple boots in the same order for $17 each, you wait for CD-R's you could have downloaded and burnt yourself weeks ago. We should save money on shipping by waiting for a combined order!

I understand your gripe, but if 10C or Pearl Jam payed to ship each show to you as it became available, one of two things would happen:

1 - Pearl Jam would lose a ton of money in shipping costs
    2 - That increase in shipping cost would be passed on to you

I agree that the language they used was misleading, but I also agree with other posters that most bands don't offer recording of their shows for DL or actual CD/CD-R. I'm not looking for a fight, but seriously, there's more serious stuff going on in the world that it really seems trivial making a stink over a $20 3-CD set. If you're that upset, return them, get a refund and DL and burn them yourself.
  • Options
    rydb wrote:
    I understand your gripe, but if 10C or Pearl Jam payed to ship each show to you as it became available, one of two things would happen:

1 - Pearl Jam would lose a ton of money in shipping costs
    2 - That increase in shipping cost would be passed on to you

1) Pearl Jam would lose nothing; Kufala, the company that is selling the bootlegs wouldn't make as much!

2) Each boot cost $17 including shipping. If I bought just one show, it would cost $17. Many people went to 1 show, and bought that 1 show. They would not sell it at a loss! If I bought the first and last show of the tour, it would cost $34 ($17x2)... but I would have to wait until they "burnt" the last show to recieve both discs. Kufala saves on shipping, and makes more money. If I would have ordered the first show of the tour, and the next day ordered the last show, they would have shipped seperatly, and still cost me $34!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,495
    well thanks for the heads up
    I guess I will buy the downloads and make my own CDRs
    are the flacs better quality than the CDRs?????????????

gracias
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Mine too. The Bonaroo boot sounds like there were 12 people in the middle of a field in Tennessee all drunk on moonshine and one of them had a recorder. It's almost embarrasing. I would NEVER play it for anyone else.

See, I don't understand this at all. It sounds fine to me. Perfectly fine. I play it my car all the time, and not one person who has ridden with me has said, "You know, this sounds crappy."

Mostly, it's "Wow! They played Hard to Imagine at this show?" or "They played Release in the second encore?"

That -- and the fact that there have been people bitching about sound quality EVERY SINGLE TOUR -- leads me to believe that the "bitchers" are just being way too picky.

I have the Bonnaroo boot. And it sounds fine.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    See, I don't understand this at all. It sounds fine to me. Perfectly fine. I play it my car all the time, and not one person who has ridden with me has said, "You know, this sounds crappy."

Mostly, it's "Wow! They played Hard to Imagine at this show?" or "They played Release in the second encore?"

That -- and the fact that there have been people bitching about sound quality EVERY SINGLE TOUR -- leads me to believe that the "bitchers" are just being way too picky.

same here.....sounds spectacular.....i didn't know pearl jam had so many sound engineers as fans...and i'm buying a boot to hear the band, not the crowd....i'll never understand that complaint
  • Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580

I agree, maybe we have a different Bonnaroo boot then everyone else. It sounds fine and the cardboard casing and decorative CD-R's along with the set list is exactly why I ordered the physical CD-R. Bonnaroo and Hartford are the only bootlegs I am purchasing so I spent a little extra to get the physical CD-R's. I will be honest some of the lead guitar seems muted in some of the songs but you can still hear it, bass a little high but it all comes together eventually. During Mike's solo's it seems they focused on making sure the sound was up. All and all, as whole I am happy with my purchase.

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    raszputiniraszputini Posts: 119
    1. My experience has been that high-end stereo systems have no problem with "burnt" CDs, it's low-end and in particular, older systems that have difficulty.

2. Bands in the "jamband" community have been doing this "mastered bootleg" thing for a very long time - longer than PJ. Phish, Widespread Panic, Government Mule, Phil and Friends, Umphrey's McGee, STS9, Particle, and many have the same system. You can buy mp3 or flacs for download, flacs are usually a little more expensive, or you can order them and have them shipped, in which case you get the same thing (BURNT). You are paying extra for the packaging. PJ is doing the same thing that other bands that distribute all their live shows do.

3. I didn't expect pressed boots. I understand the confusion from the various statements coming from 10c, but I would've done a little more digging before I assumed these were going to be silvers.

4. There's no way with mastering, production, packaging, etc. that PJ is making a ton of money on these. They're probably making some, but they should.

5. As we get more and more digital and peer-to-peer, we can expect more of these kind of decisions, which is the decision to distribute this stuff in the quickest, least expensive and easiest way. It is very difficult to project sales on these bootlegs, which in turn makes it difficult to know how many to press. Unless you're going to keep going back and making press run after press run - which is MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. That's why PJ has gradually moved away from the model they used in 2000. Remember, this all began to undercut bootleggers who were charging $25 to $30 bucks 10 years ago for a far lesser quality recording. These boots are not physically designed to be "durable", the data itself is forever durable and can be reproduced over and over. That's the idea.

6. I think we all just need to be happy we're getting them in any form. Most "big, rich rock bands" don't do this - because it isn't a real money-maker. Radiohead and NIN, who are as progressive with this stuff as anyone, don't even do this. The impression I've gotten over the past few tours is that PJ isn't that excited about continuing to do this and are doing so simply because the fans REALLY want them. Remember the 2007 tour?
  • Options
    raszputini wrote:
    1. My experience has been that high-end stereo systems have no problem with "burnt" CDs, it's low-end and in particular, older systems that have difficulty.

2. Bands in the "jamband" community have been doing this "mastered bootleg" thing for a very long time - longer than PJ. Phish, Widespread Panic, Government Mule, Phil and Friends, Umphrey's McGee, STS9, Particle, and many have the same system. You can buy mp3 or flacs for download, flacs are usually a little more expensive, or you can order them and have them shipped, in which case you get the same thing (BURNT). You are paying extra for the packaging. PJ is doing the same thing that other bands that distribute all their live shows do.

3. I didn't expect pressed boots. I understand the confusion from the various statements coming from 10c, but I would've done a little more digging before I assumed these were going to be silvers.

4. There's no way with mastering, production, packaging, etc. that PJ is making a ton of money on these. They're probably making some, but they should.

5. As we get more and more digital and peer-to-peer, we can expect more of these kind of decisions, which is the decision to distribute this stuff in the quickest, least expensive and easiest way. It is very difficult to project sales on these bootlegs, which in turn makes it difficult to know how many to press. Unless you're going to keep going back and making press run after press run - which is MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. That's why PJ has gradually moved away from the model they used in 2000. Remember, this all began to undercut bootleggers who were charging $25 to $30 bucks 10 years ago for a far lesser quality recording. These boots are not physically designed to be "durable", the data itself is forever durable and can be reproduced over and over. That's the idea.

6. I think we all just need to be happy we're getting them in any form. Most "big, rich rock bands" don't do this - because it isn't a real money-maker. Radiohead and NIN, who are as progressive this stuff as anyone, don't even do this. The impression I've gotten over the past few tours is that PJ isn't that excited about continuing to do this and are doing so simply because the fans REALLY want them. Remember the 2007 tour?

I wish we could make this post a sticky. Word for fucking word.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    I don't care if they're CDRs. I only bought one (MSG 1) anyway. now, if there are gaps or clicks between tracks....that would be fucking bullshit.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    There are gaps between tracks on my Bonnaroo boot. My WPB and Tampa do not have the gaps. This implies an inconsistent production process at Kafula.

I don't think Kafula will be back for the next bootleg series.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    olderman wrote:
    There are gaps between tracks on my Bonnaroo boot. My WPB and Tampa do not have the gaps. This implies an inconsistent production process at Kafula.

I don't think Kafula will be back for the next bootleg series.

There are no gaps on my 'roo boot. this is pretty weird.
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    it is weird. i was very surprised. quality of sound is ok but someone forgot to check the 'eliminate pause between tracks' box before pressing the burn button. (that's the way it is with NERO when i burn tracks to a CD-R)
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    raszputini wrote:

2) This point has no relavance. I've barely heard of a few of those bands, let alone know their bootleg system.
    raszputini wrote:

3) Of course you didn't expect pressed boots! Obviously your knowlege of obscure jambands has influenced your expectations. Most of us only know PJ 2000 and 2003 for Physical bootlegs, both of which are pressed CDs. Given that prior knowledge, and the incredibly mis-leading wording.... It's no wonder that many of us expected pressed CDs. So you are basically saying that we should not trust the 10C, and we should dig deep and explore every claim they make?
    09/02/00 09/05/00
  • Options
    mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    To quote Artie Lange (comedian/Howard Stern show)
    Waaaaah!
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,375
    mdg164 wrote:
    2) This point has no relavance. I've barely heard of a few of those bands, let alone know their bootleg system.

For someone who told me to get off the boards and get a life, you're spending a lot of time on here bitching and complaining about $17. Time to either move on having learned a lesson, or return your product.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i don't know why so many are giving the OP such a hard time. it's a legitimate complaint. i WAS well aware that the cds would in fact be cd-rs and am 100% a-ok with it. i just wanted physical discs and cases. although looking at it now, i kinda like the art from the2005 canadian tour and the 2006 euro tour better, even if i had to burn and make the art myself. :o haha. however, i have clamored for them to return to releasing physical discs, they have...and that makes me happy! :)

however, the OP does have a point; EVERYwhere the cds were mentioned it should've been very CLEARLY stated that you were in fact purchasing cd-rs. not a difficult thing. as i said, i am totally fine with it. i've also heard mention that there is a lifetime guarantee behind the discs, would be nice to see that 'officially' stated somewhere. my only complaint with the discs is when trying to load to my ipod program, VERY inconsistent.unprofessional labeling of discs. within the same show, different methods of naming each disc...some had a different year listefd on each disc! cmon....hahaha. drove my husband batty. small issue yes, but if they are hiring pros to do the job, well then, they should do a pro job...ain't that difficult. i do feel for those of you who placed one massive order instead of ordering each disc individually. once i heard there was free shipping, i ordered all 5 of my shows individually to make sure i got em as they came. that could've been clearly stated as well.

bottomline...i am HAPPY. we have more options for boots this time around than ever before. pearl jam/10c has listened to our requests and followed through and i soooooooo appreciate it! please, please, pleeeeeeaaaassssseeeee don't EVER do away with the bootleg program, i LOVE it! :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    For someone who told me to get off the boards and get a life, you're spending a lot of time on here bitching and complaining about $17. Time to either move on having learned a lesson, or return your product.
    What's worse, complaining about being screwed by a corporation; or complaining about the people who are complaining... most likely because you blindly endorse anything PJ does. Who is really wasting their time?
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    It's a good fuckin' thing I read every post then. You're missing out.
    See, you are the one who said they read every post on this board, to which I replied:
    mdg164 wrote:
    That's OK, I will keep my life.... you should get one too!
    Vastly different than your claim! For the record, I quickly took a look at my most recent posts....

07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
    07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
    07-20-2008, 11:45 AM
    07-21-2008, 08:02 AM

Basically 1 a day, each post taking no more than 5 minutes. Yep... a real time waster!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    raszputini wrote:

6. I think we all just need to be happy we're getting them in any form. Most "big, rich rock bands" don't do this - because it isn't a real money-maker. Radiohead and NIN, who are as progressive this stuff as anyone, don't even do this. The impression I've gotten over the past few tours is that PJ isn't that excited about continuing to do this and are doing so simply because the fans REALLY want them. Remember the 2007 tour?

+1
    Good post
    Too much complaining they'll stop doing boots. Thats why they are called "bootlegs" after all.

The Tragically Hip and Joe Bonamassa encourage tapers. So its whoever tapes the show it is what it is. But to have a big band like this offer this service is unique and we should treat it like that

On the other hand I think the problems with packaging are unacceptable. People getting the wrong shows and whatnot

To me it sounds like PJ switched companies or something
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    I received my Bonnaroo cds today, what a surprise I got.....
    Listening to the 3rd disc Eddie starts into Crazy Mary..I'm thinking "what the fuck, they just played Crazy Mary towards the end of Disc 2, have they made a really funny screw-up on their set list, waiting for someone in the group to intervene or say something and all have a laugh!

No such fun, pearljam.com just sent me Washington disc 3 instead of Bonnaroo disc 3.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,375
    mdg164 wrote:
    Vastly different than your claim! For the record, I quickly took a look at my most recent posts....

07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
    07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
    07-20-2008, 11:45 AM
    07-21-2008, 08:02 AM

Basically 1 a day, each post taking no more than 5 minutes. Yep... a real time waster!

Are you 12? Because that's the exact same thing my niece would do. If you are, I can understand your fascination of just bitching instead of trying to rectify the problem. If you're older than 12, then maybe you should take a break and get some perspective in your life.