Options

Very Upset with CD-Rs

Comments

• Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    How many of you have paid $50 for an old bootleg...before they started releasing the official ones? I like it now much better.

Again - at least you knew what you were getting.....I like it now also by the way.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,375
    For those of you that are pissed off, why don't you just contact 10C and negotiate a return. If it's that big of a deal, just return them.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    umlawgrad wrote:
    I believe it is misleading to sell the boots as CD-Rs. I did not see anywhere that these were CD-Rs. I expected them to be (for $16.99) professionally mastered CDs. CD-Rs do not play in my high end CD player and had I know these were not regular CDs, I would not have purchased them. Why not just download the shows for $9.99 and burn your own CDs?

That being said, I do find the sound quality to be a bit better than some have suggested on this board.

that's why I only bought one show on disc. Otherwise, I can burn my own CDs.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ballgame wrote:
    Im not an expert but I do a lot of my own recordings
    To me "pressed" is a master CD that presses copy from it with artwork (not at same time). The quality of the "music" is higher as well.
    This master CD is literally pressed (in a press, I know the words get confusing) against blank CD to transfer the music. That’s the way all the vinyl albums were done. There could be newer technology for CDs but that’s the concept
    "Burn" is when you take individual songs, line them up in order, and make you're own CD. There is no master CD and no artwork
    Thats the way I see it.

This is not the case. The music is the same quality, no matter what CD media is used. It's digital... a bit is a bit.
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    This is not the case. The music is the same quality, no matter what CD media is used. It's digital... a bit is a bit.

Im not sure about that

CD quality is better than mp3. FLAC is better than MP3. .WAV is better than mp3. The difference is how much space each takes up.
    I dont know about this situation. But quality is not the same
  • Options
    Ah, the "Pearl Jam can do no wrong" apologists are out in full force in this thread, using the same old tired "love it or leave it, be thankful for what you have" argument that conservative politicians use so often.

The guy has a legitimate issue about the lack of full disclosure when ordering the CDs. Yes, we all love Pearl Jam. Yes, we are thankful for the official boots. But why is a well-voiced opinion about business practices always met with "shut up", "deal with it", etc.?

Things don't get better if people don't express opinions.

Grow up.
  • Options
    ballgame wrote:
    Im not sure about that

CD quality is better than mp3. FLAC is better than MP3. .WAV is better than mp3. The difference is how much space each takes up.

That's not what I meant. The sound quality on CD-Rs is exactly the same as that on pressed CDs if they are mastered from the same source. Same bits.

Yes, MP3s are lesser quality because they are compressed.
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206
    No they weren't, they were ALL available in stores. But you're right, every store knew exactly how many of each show they needed, b/c they knew exactly how many of each show people would want. Limited production my ass, just about everybody i know has Seattle II.

Stop twisting the sentences around to suit your opinion. I understand you're bitter, but get over it. The CD's are fine, and i'm on the other end of the spectrum, and am more impressed by them than i expected to be.

If you got the FLAC, (which is CD quality) it would be about the same fucking price. $14.99 + ~$1 (i use lightscribe) for the disc.... and i'm SURE you couldn't reproduce the cover/artwork for $1.

First off, I fixed my other post, I meant the 2003 bootlegs. Only a few shows were release to stores. They rest were all pressed CDs made on demand. I have both versions of State College (Custom 10C boot, and later released store version). Even stronger point for my case.... 2003, the last time they sent out physical boots, were pressed CDs. Thank you for pointing out my 2000/2003 error and making my case even stronger!

It's not the money. It's 2 things. First off, they mis-lead everyone. It's called False Advertising. Secondly, If I dowloaded and burnt, I would have them now. Instead I wait. They are waiting until all of my CD-R's are burnt to send them, but I didn't get a volume discount. I fully expected every CD to ship by itself ASAP. I'm not twisting words around, I am reading them directly off of their website. And in case you haven't noticed, this isn't just my opinion, I didn't start this thread. I'm sorry, I'm not going to blindly defend anything PJ related.
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206
    Ah, the "Pearl Jam can do no wrong" apologists are out in full force in this thread, using the same old tired "love it or leave it, be thankful for what you have" argument that conservative politicians use so often.

The guy has a legitimate issue about the lack of full disclosure when ordering the CDs. Yes, we all love Pearl Jam. Yes, we are thankful for the official boots. But why is a well-voiced opinion about business practices always met with "shut up", "deal with it", etc.?

Grow up.

While I agree with your point 100%, I don't see the link to conservative politicians. Can you present an example?
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    mdg164 wrote:
    While I agree with your point 100%, I don't see the link to conservative politicians. Can you present an example?

Yea, lets hear it...
  • Options
    mdg164 wrote:

Well, there arent any true conservative politicians anymore so I see your point. Ignore the above post.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    mdg164 wrote:
    The official website says "made to order" not "burn to order". It also says "hard copy".... which implies a pressed CD.

Good thing every person who bought bootlegs not only uses this message board, but reads EVERY post on it!

Thanks man, that's the funiest shit I've heard so far today....
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    I hope we don't get bootlegs from here on. I'll still get the shows, but i hope we don't have official releases any more. The 10C has bent over backwards for everyone for 17 years. We as a whole, don't deserve it any more. And that saddens me for those of us who love every official recording that's available.

Remember 2007? We'd kill to have 2007 bootlegs w/the 2008 quality.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I will not buy another Pearl Jam bootleg.

Misleading marketing and poor sound quality. Don't even try defending the quality as professional. I have hundreds of bootlegs and I have fan recordings that are better than these official '08 boots. We won't even get into the CD-R's.

Do it right or don't do it at all.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    ballgame wrote:
    EDIT: Im listening now. This is a louder show that the rest. Not sure what you mean about the mix. Corduroy (2nd song) sounds great
    Can you give me some detail?

LOL......I just checked my ipod and Corduroy isn't on the WPB setlist, I think we're talking about 2 different shows :) I'm talking about WPB 2008........Oceans has a distinct echo to it about 2 minutes in if I remember correctly....
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    I have gotten West Palm Beach and Bonnaroo on CD and am very happy with them. I think the sound quality is excellent. I still think the 2000 series is the best to date, but the 2006...and from what Ive heard so far... 2008 shows are not far behind. I dont know how others feel but I never thought the 2003 boots were all that great. It probably has to do with the fact that they were shipped so quick, but I think their quality pales to the other official boots.
  • Options
    pilatesdogpilatesdog Posts: 55
    For goodness sake , Pearl Jam offers fans an opportunity to purchase bootlegs of shows and you fucks constantly bitch. Would you rather have some drunken idiot holding up some recording device that you can here his girlfriend trying to sing every song. Be thankful you latched onto a great band who tries to be as fan friendly as possible. Become a Metallica fan!
    A truant finds home and a wish to hold on but theres a trapdoor in the sun Over 20 shows attended, remember at least half
  • Options
    pilatesdog wrote:
    For goodness sake , Pearl Jam offers fans an opportunity to purchase bootlegs of shows and you fucks constantly bitch. Would you rather have some drunken idiot holding up some recording device that you can here his girlfriend trying to sing every song. Be thankful you latched onto a great band who tries to be as fan friendly as possible. Become a Metallica fan!

+1
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:
    LOL......I just checked my ipod and Corduroy isn't on the WPB setlist, I think we're talking about 2 different shows :) I'm talking about WPB 2008........Oceans has a distinct echo to it about 2 minutes in if I remember correctly....

Yeah. Sounds like he is singing Oceans from the inside a cave.

But I still ain't gonna bitch.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options
    Jammin909 wrote:

Misleading marketing and poor sound quality. Don't even try defending the quality as professional. I have hundreds of bootlegs and I have fan recordings that are better than these official '08 boots. We won't even get into the CD-R's.

You... go ahead and take a stand against the tyranny that is PJ Bootlegs. Yeah! And screw Mufasa or Kufala or whoever the fuck those guys are that are burning them. Screw em all.

I'm just gonna go turn the volume up on W.M.A.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    i like Pearl Jam.
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    pilatesdog wrote:
    Become a Metallica fan!

I agree with everything in your post except this. I don't understand this one. Like PJ, Metallica offers official bootlegs. And like Lars, Eddie has the 10c running around demanding fans not tape or share his solo work. So I don't really see a distinction.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    preferencies

2005-2006
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    on wpb 2008 digital, i like the 1,2,3,4 before beggining unemployable, its matt´s voice?

also the oceans wrong beggining...is very cleaar
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    pilatesdog wrote:
    That's just it though. We are PURCHASING a product. If that product is of inferior quality we have every right to bitch. What you're saying is that BECAUSE it's Pearl Jam they can pretty much throw whatever out there they want and we're supposed to like it? If they shit on your head would you thank them for the hat? The same basic code applies to any product or service that requires money to be exchanged. It's not like they were handing out free copies after the show. I paid less for EVERY single studio album they've ever made, and they required TONS more cash to produce. Proper mixing, mastering, artwork, a real 'pressed' cd. If there are so many complaints, something must be wrong. The Bonaroo disc is garbage. I can't even listen to most of it. The fact that it says Pearl Jam on the disc doesn't magically make it sound good.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560

Grow up.

Well said my friend...
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    That's just it though. We are PURCHASING a product. If that product is of inferior quality we have every right to bitch. What you're saying is that BECAUSE it's Pearl Jam they can pretty much throw whatever out there they want and we're supposed to like it? If they shit on your head would you thank them for the hat? The same basic code applies to any product or service that requires money to be exchanged. It's not like they were handing out free copies after the show. I paid less for EVERY single studio album they've ever made, and they required TONS more cash to produce. Proper mixing, mastering, artwork, a real 'pressed' cd. If there are so many complaints, something must be wrong. The Bonaroo disc is garbage. I can't even listen to most of it. The fact that it says Pearl Jam on the disc doesn't magically make it sound good.

Half the people on this board would be ok if Eddie came up on stage, took a shit, and peaced out. They would then go home, log onto the pit, and start 5 different "Thank you Eddie" threads...
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    ballgame wrote:
    Im not sure about that

This is where you're confused.

MP3 = lossy compression, quality is lost from the original recording
    FLAC = lossless compression, file size is smaller but no quality is lost
    WAV = no compression, exact bit to bit copy of the original

When pressing or burning a CD, there is no compression involved, the data is an exact copy of the original recording. There is absolutely no difference between the sound quality of a pressed CD and a burned CD as long as they are from the same source.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jammin909 wrote:

Then get some equipment and record the shows yourself if you think audience recordings are so f'ing great.

My opinion is that the 2008 stuff might not be as good as 2000 or 2003, but the band is still releasing hundreds of soundboard boots. What is there to complain about?
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    getting "very upset" over something this trivial is bad health

i know of at least 3 other bands that sell live bootlegs and guess what they are not pressed as well.

to the complainers...get over yourselves!
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play