Options

Very Upset with CD-Rs

umlawgradumlawgrad Posts: 24
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I believe it is misleading to sell the boots as CD-Rs. I did not see anywhere that these were CD-Rs. I expected them to be (for $16.99) professionally mastered CDs. CD-Rs do not play in my high end CD player and had I know these were not regular CDs, I would not have purchased them. Why not just download the shows for $9.99 and burn your own CDs?

That being said, I do find the sound quality to be a bit better than some have suggested on this board.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    umlawgrad wrote:
    I believe it is misleading to sell the boots as CD-Rs. I did not see anywhere that these were CD-Rs. I expected them to be (for $16.99) professionally mastered CDs. CD-Rs do not play in my high end CD player and had I know these were not regular CDs, I would not have purchased them. Why not just download the shows for $9.99 and burn your own CDs?

That being said, I do find the sound quality to be a bit better than some have suggested on this board.

It did say 'burn-to-order cd's'

Then why didn't you?

I'm totally happy w/them.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    hmmm interesting, CD-R's....yep coulda burned the cd's myself but the covers are also nicer to have than the 2-3 disc cases that you have to use to hold the shows. i like the cardboard style better for space...my $0.02
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Santos specifically stated that they were CD-Rs in one of his posts. While I agreed that it was somewhat misleading in the beginning, it was clarified early on.
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206

What are the details on the CDs?

In addition to digital bootlegs, CDs will be made-to-order using recycled material. The price for hard copy bootlegs is $16.99/show and will be available exclusively through http://www.pearljam.com.

The official website says "made to order" not "burn to order". It also says "hard copy".... which implies a pressed CD.
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    Santos specifically stated that they were CD-Rs in one of his posts. While I agreed that it was somewhat misleading in the beginning, it was clarified early on.

Good thing every person who bought bootlegs not only uses this message board, but reads EVERY post on it!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    TrAvELAr wrote:

There is nothing on the main goods site that says CD-R's! Not everyone follows this board, nor should they be expected to when it comes to product updates.

Horseshit. I paid some person $7 to burn a couple songs to a CD for me and ship it!??
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,741
    mdg164 wrote:
    The official website says "made to order" not "burn to order". It also says "hard copy".... which implies a pressed CD.

Actually, it says both "made to order" and "burn to order":

Made-to-order Bootleg CDs
    In addition to digital bootlegs, Pearl Jam is launching a new physical CD program for this tour. CDs will be manufactured according to customer demand and will ship within three weeks of each show date. CDs will be made-to-order using recycled material. The price for hard copy bootlegs is $16.99/show and will be available exclusively through http://www.pearljam.com.

Both the mobile and new burn-to-order CD options are an extension of Pearl Jam's official bootleg CD program, which was initially launched on the band's 2000 world tour in an effort to provide fans with high-quality, affordable bootlegs of their lives shows. Since the program's inception, over 3.5 million bootlegs have been sold.

http://www.tenclub.net/news/
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    What high-end CD player won't play a CDR? Especially Taiyo Yuden CDR's which are supposed to be universal?
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    Actually, it says both "made to order" and "burn to order":

Made-to-order Bootleg CDs
    In addition to digital bootlegs, Pearl Jam is launching a new physical CD program for this tour. CDs will be manufactured according to customer demand and will ship within three weeks of each show date. CDs will be made-to-order using recycled material. The price for hard copy bootlegs is $16.99/show and will be available exclusively through http://www.pearljam.com.

Both the mobile and new burn-to-order CD options are an extension of Pearl Jam's official bootleg CD program, which was initially launched on the band's 2000 world tour in an effort to provide fans with high-quality, affordable bootlegs of their lives shows. Since the program's inception, over 3.5 million bootlegs have been sold.

http://www.tenclub.net/news/

Couple of problems here. First off, the link you have enclosed is for the pearl jam website. The link I have enclosed is directly to the site where you actually buy the Boots. That link is on the main page of PJ.com. Why should someone have to read the news to see if they are paying for a CD or CD-R? Why is it buried there?

made to order, not "burn to order" on the actual order page
    hard copy bootlegs, not soft copy CD-R's
    physical CD is listed, not physical CD-R or burnt CD
    CDs will be manufactured, not CD-R's will be burnt
    official bootleg CD program, not burnt CDR program
    provide fans with high-quality affordable bootlegs, not low-quality CD-R's

So much to lead you to believe that you are getting a professional pressed CD, and one tiny line buried in the news that mentions the word "burnt". Not only are most people not going to see that one instance, but what do you believe, 7 indications or 1? Add to the fact that people routinely mis-use words, especially when it comes to computers. If I had even seen the 1 hidden indication that the CDs were actually CD-R's, I would have thought it was a mistake, given all the other indications to the contrary!

Since shipping is included in the price, I expected every show to ship as it was "pressed". But it appears as if I have to wait until they "burn" every show I ordered. I could have downloaded and burnt myself by now, for cheaper.
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,741
    Yea, I posted it because I definitely think it's confusing. I think anyone who feels misled may have a good reason to feel that way. The descriptions even go out of the way to compare the 2008 boots to previous boots, so anyone purchasing them would have no reason to believe they were of lower quality.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    I just got my Bonnaroo boot, and I love it. I'm so glad that they have the CDs as an option.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mdg164 wrote:
    provide fans with high-quality affordable bootlegs, not low-quality CD-R's

For the 20th time, they're not "low quality" CDR's. They're using the best quality CDR's that you can get. They're supposed to be even better quality than a pressed CD. People need to stop perpetrating myths.
  • Options
    Im not an expert on CD production and recording vs. burning, actually I dont know shizzle about it. Can anyone with knowledge of this process explain the difference between what the OP calls "pressed" vs "burn". I mean how do CDs that you would buy in a store differ? Arent they all burnt? Anyone???

Signed
    CD Dumbizzle Azzizzle
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    I'm glad they have this available because I can only get dial up service at my house. Yes, there are still places like this in the U.S. When they were not available, I had to ask my daughter who lives elsewhere to make them for me.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Id be very surprised if PJ makes money on these. I be the money they make breaks them even with the mastering and whatnot.
    You are lucky to even have these boots from all tours. Amazing how much complaining there is around something so great.

Do anyone know how hard it to even record a show? Then at the fact the high level of quality. Everyone assumes that "soundboard" is the best quality recording. These are more than that because you can hear the crowd. Thats the difference that no one picks up. Soundboard recordings are stale.
    These PJ boots pick up the emotion and feeling from the band and the crowd.

Its just my opinion but if you want to order the show that is being mailed to you you are doing it for the artwork. Not the CD because you can get those in FLAC

Just my opinion. Be thankful you even have the option to get these boots
  • Options
    mdg164 wrote:
    Good thing every person who bought bootlegs not only uses this message board, but reads EVERY post on it!

It's a good fuckin' thing I read every post then. You're missing out.
  • Options
    Im not an expert on CD production and recording vs. burning, actually I dont know shizzle about it. Can anyone with knowledge of this process explain the difference between what the OP calls "pressed" vs "burn". I mean how do CDs that you would buy in a store differ? Arent they all burnt? Anyone???

Signed
    CD Dumbizzle Azzizzle

Im not an expert but I do a lot of my own recordings
    To me "pressed" is a master CD that presses copy from it with artwork (not at same time). The quality of the "music" is higher as well.
    This master CD is literally pressed (in a press, I know the words get confusing) against blank CD to transfer the music. That’s the way all the vinyl albums were done. There could be newer technology for CDs but that’s the concept
    "Burn" is when you take individual songs, line them up in order, and make you're own CD. There is no master CD and no artwork
    Thats the way I see it.
  • Options
    I didn't receive mine yet Camden 1&2, DC ,MSG1 the only reason I bought the cds is for better sound quality the the digital downloads. Is there a difference?
  • Options
    mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    mdg164 wrote:
    hard copy bootlegs, not soft copy CD-R's

Hard copy = tangible, you can hold it in your hands. So, "pressed" CDs and burned CD-Rs are both hard copy items.

Soft copy = intangible, you can't hold it in your hands. So electronic media (mp3 or FLAC files) are soft copy items.

It kinda sucks that the CDs don't play in your hardware -- of course, I'd think a high-end CD player would handle just about anything. But as other have said, the media used are the best quality CD-R on the market. And IMO, "made to order" should signal these aren't pressed CDs -- you don't start and stop production of that nature, you just make a batch.
  • Options
    jumpincatjumpincat Posts: 68
    I have heard a handful of the 2008 Boots and it seems that the Camden 1 shows recording is a bit on the rough side....anyone else feel this way listening to the show?
    Too many young males beleive that manhood is defined by the ability to injure a man, rather than helping one.

There are two kinds of women in this world....one that will give you strength....the other will take it away.....
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    ballgame wrote:
    Id be very surprised if PJ makes money on these. I be the money they make breaks them even with the mastering and whatnot.
    You are lucky to even have these boots from all tours. Amazing how much complaining there is around something so great.

Do anyone know how hard it to even record a show? Then at the fact the high level of quality. Everyone assumes that "soundboard" is the best quality recording. These are more than that because you can hear the crowd. Thats the difference that no one picks up. Soundboard recordings are stale.
    These PJ boots pick up the emotion and feeling from the band and the crowd.

Its just my opinion but if you want to order the show that is being mailed to you you are doing it for the artwork. Not the CD because you can get those in FLAC

Have you listened to West Palm Beach? Not so great IMO.

The original post is fair, he's not bitching that we have options to purchase, just that all the facts should be upfront and clear.
    I ordered what I thought were cd's not cd-r's. I very well may have chose that option anyways but I at least wish I knew they were cd-r's.....
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    For the 20th time, they're not "low quality" CDR's. They're using the best quality CDR's that you can get. They're supposed to be even better quality than a pressed CD. People need to stop perpetrating myths.

You missed the point. I don't care if they are high quality CD-R's or low quality CD-R's. I care if they are high quality pressed CDs or lower quality burnt CD-R's. Even if they use the best brand of CD-R available, it still is not a pressed CD
    ballgame wrote:

Last tour, I printed out the artwork myself!

We are all greatful that we can get the boots. But what bothers us is that they mis-led everybody in to thinking that they were getting something similar to the 2003 tour.
    TrAvELAr wrote:

That's OK, I will keep my life.... you should get one too!
    mozetti wrote:
    Hard copy = tangible, you can hold it in your hands. So, "pressed" CDs and burned CD-Rs are both hard copy items.

Soft copy = intangible, you can't hold it in your hands. So electronic media (mp3 or FLAC files) are soft copy items.

It kinda sucks that the CDs don't play in your hardware -- of course, I'd think a high-end CD player would handle just about anything. But as other have said, the media used are the best quality CD-R on the market. And IMO, "made to order" should signal these aren't pressed CDs -- you don't start and stop production of that nature, you just make a batch.

That's your interpretation. My interpretation is that a pressed CD is "hard," and a CD-R is "soft". I can reproduce the CD-R version at home, I can not reproduce a pressed CD. Regardless, they could have been more clear.

The 2003 boots were "Made to order" pressed CDs, and they were awesome! They were limited production based on the number of people who ordered them! History agrees with me!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:
    The original post is fair, he's not bitching that we have options to purchase, just that all the facts should be upfront and clear.
    I ordered what I thought were cd's not cd-r's. I very well may have chose that option anyways but I at least wish I knew they were cd-r's.....

Exactly!!!!

I agree with every word!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
  • Options
    TrAvELAr wrote:

LMAO! Some funny shit buried amongst the argument, i love it!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:

Actually I like that show :)
  • Options
    LMAO! Some funny shit buried amongst the argument, i love it!

Hahaha.. other than mdg164, who's arguing?!? I'm just trying to lighten the mood.
  • Options
    Jammin909 wrote:
    Horseshit. I paid some person $7 to burn a couple songs to a CD for me and ship it!??

Yeah, you're right, the free shipping sucked (I see you're in the US). $7 plus pretty decent artwork is quite good IMO.
    mdg164 wrote:
    The 2000 boots were "Made to order" pressed CDs, and they were awesome! They were limited production based on the number of people who ordered them! History agrees with me!

No they weren't, they were ALL available in stores. But you're right, every store knew exactly how many of each show they needed, b/c they knew exactly how many of each show people would want. Limited production my ass, just about everybody i know has Seattle II.

Stop twisting the sentences around to suit your opinion. I understand you're bitter, but get over it. The CD's are fine, and i'm on the other end of the spectrum, and am more impressed by them than i expected to be.
    mdg164 wrote:
    But it appears as if I have to wait until they "burn" every show I ordered. I could have downloaded and burnt myself by now, for cheaper.

If you got the FLAC, (which is CD quality) it would be about the same fucking price. $14.99 + ~$1 (i use lightscribe) for the disc.... and i'm SURE you couldn't reproduce the cover/artwork for $1.

Deal with it.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    ballgame wrote:
    Actually I like that show :)

The sound quality of the cd-r? Or the show itself? The show setlist is great but I think the sound mix is way off. Just my opinion.......
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:
    The sound quality of the cd-r? Or the show itself? The show setlist is great but I think the sound mix is way off. Just my opinion.......

Ill give it a relisten. Overall the 2000 tour boots are low in volume. Love the 05-06 tour cause of the fullness of sound

EDIT: Im listening now. This is a louder show that the rest. Not sure what you mean about the mix. Corduroy (2nd song) sounds great
    Can you give me some detail?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    pearljim wrote:

How many of you have paid $50 for an old bootleg...before they started releasing the official ones? I like it now much better.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ballgame wrote:
    Ill give it a relisten. Overall the 2000 tour boots are low in volume. Love the 05-06 tour cause of the fullness of sound

EDIT: Im listening now. This is a louder show that the rest. Not sure what you mean about the mix. Corduroy (2nd song) sounds great
    Can you give me some detail?

Agree with the 2000 boots. I've only listened to WPB once so far and it just sounds "muted" in certain spots (me being a technical guy and all hahahaha) and I know I heard an echo during 2 songs (I'll have to relisten to tell you which songs).
    Where 2000 was low on volume it at least sounded good where 2003 boots were great sounding.
    I'll do a random ear test. I'll randomly pick a 2000 concert and play it against the 2008 WPB.

Roberto Clemente.