Options

BIlly Corgan talks shit on PJ on Howard Stern show..

Comments

• Options

Billy is certainly entitled to his opinion, and if he were to say anything else in any other way, you'd think he wasn't being sincere. "That's show biz you know..."

1979 is the best song from the 90s' and that fucker can say whatever he wants.

Just my opinion, I'd love to see PJ grow a little ("evolve" as Billy said about the Foo's), maybe expand their scope a little, maybe use a different producer or two on their next LPs.

Howie is the best interviewer around, and has been for a while.

I think sober is the best song from the 90's.
    For real? I'm sure it has great meaning for you, personally I think it's kind of average by Tool's standards.......

I actually listened to the interview, after just reading about it, I kind of see where he's coming from. From what I can gather, I think he's saying he would rather bands experimented, for better or worse, than just staying in their comfort zone. It pains me to say it, but I think Foos and Pearl Jam to a large extent, both fall into that category. That's not to say they haven't made good music.

But then I think Billy Corgan's urge to keep evolving has resulted in some pretty forgettable music over the last ten years or so, so I think his theory is sound, but in practice he falls short of the mark too. I wonder if he thinks Zeitgeist or The Future Embrace are as good as Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie?

• Options
    BinFrog said:

Three Days by Jane's Addiction is the best song of the 90's and of the past 30 years. There, I said it.

Very good argument to be made. Nicely played.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

Billy is certainly entitled to his opinion, and if he were to say anything else in any other way, you'd think he wasn't being sincere. "That's show biz you know..."

Just my opinion, I'd love to see PJ grow a little ("evolve" as Billy said about the Foo's), maybe expand their scope a little, maybe use a different producer or two on their next LPs.

For real? I'm sure it has great meaning for you, personally I think it's kind of average by Tool's standards.......

I actually listened to the interview, after just reading about it, I kind of see where he's coming from. From what I can gather, I think he's saying he would rather bands experimented, for better or worse, than just staying in their comfort zone. It pains me to say it, but I think Foos and Pearl Jam to a large extent, both fall into that category. That's not to say they haven't made good music.

But then I think Billy Corgan's urge to keep evolving has resulted in some pretty forgettable music over the last ten years or so, so I think his theory is sound, but in practice he falls short of the mark too. I wonder if he thinks Zeitgeist or The Future Embrace are as good as Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie?

I agree. Foos and PJ have stayed in their comfort zones and it has paid off in keeping a large live audience. Billy has really gone in some different directions especially in the late 90s/early 00s and he lost a lot of his audience. I respect his artistic intent however it has backfired in terms of retaining his popularity.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2014
    I totally see where he's coming from. Good records? Sure. Full arenas? Yes. Pushing the envelope? Hardly. Popularity's overrated.

Public Enemy's Shut 'Em Down and Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted were pretty good songs, too. Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys...
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options

I totally see where he's coming from. Good records? Sure. Full arenas? Yes. Pushing the envelope? Hardly. Popularity's overrated.

Public Enemy's Shut 'Em Down and Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted were pretty good too.

Dude, I swear we are twins.
    Love me some PE and Cube's first album.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    When they announce that tour later today, we'll have to get together on lotto picks.
    Or Firefly.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That's why I'm sicka getting treated like a goddamn stepchild...
    Fuck a punk cause I aint him
    you gotta deal with the 9 double m.

hey yo cube.

I wore that tape out. I'm not even talking about the Vitalogy connection.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options

That's why I'm sicka getting treated like a goddamn stepchild...
    Fuck a punk cause I aint him
    you gotta deal with the 9 double m.

hey yo cube.

I wore that tape out. I'm not even talking about the Vitalogy connection.

I had the edited version originally....
    I think it was missing half the songs on the real album. =))
    the Bomb Squad had some of the best tracks of all time.....
    that's where Biggie and 2Pac lost me.... music just wasn't as good.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Exactly. All of that second wave new jack shizzy was weak. I didn't even like The Chronic initially...I mean, I bought it, but I really struggled with it.
    We are twins.
    Sorry to hijack this thread.

I think BC gave some pretty honest answers.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Of all the songs of the 90's, sober stuck with me from the first time I heard it. I know what you're saying by an average tool song. Tool has some unbelievably good music. It was way overplayed and I think that sways some to say it's average.

Anyone that knows me knows my love for 90's music. I like it all, from the foo fighters to pearl jam to Alanis Morrisette. And when ever I'm asked about the best songs of that decade, Sober is always on top of that list.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    On today's Stern show Barbra Walters walked in wearing leather pants and said Nixon could have got her. Discuss...
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options

Of all the songs of the 90's, sober stuck with me from the first time I heard it. I know what you're saying by an average tool song. Tool has some unbelievably good music. It was way overplayed and I think that sways some to say it's average.

Anyone that knows me knows my love for 90's music. I like it all, from the foo fighters to pearl jam to Alanis Morrisette. And when ever I'm asked about the best songs of that decade, Sober is always on top of that list.
    I think it just feels a bit rudimentary by Tool's standards, like they honed their craft after that song, but to each their own :)

I think there's a difference between best songs, and songs that kind of capture the mood of the time. It also depends on how old you were back then I guess, and how that music related to your own life. I was 13/14 in 1994, and nobody quite captured that youthful angst and yearning for me quite like the Pumpkins. It wasn't even the lyrics, it was the mood or vibe of the music that hooked me in. Songs like Thirty Three and 1979 still stir up emotions to this day.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I don't get with all the folks chiming in bitching about people defending Ed/PJ. that is 10% of the discussion. the rest of the posts are honest, non-partisan debate. you are going to get that 10% in any discussion in any walk of life.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    that being said, I bought Monuments last night on iTunes. I really think I need to stop giving BC my money. I don't get where the "return to form" reviews are coming from. so many synth beats and 80's style pop melodies, instant bargain bin. two, maybe three good tracks.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Billy has always cared a little too much about generations, popculture, legacies, etc. Kind of lame. I'll always like the original lineup's albums. In the 2000s and 2010s though he's been really embarrassing.

His problem with PJ is probably that they've kept what he's lost.
  • Options
    Corgan is a great artist. I loved the Pumpkins. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness were incredible records. Having said that, on a personal level he seems to be a guy I would not want to spend 2 seconds with. He's always whining. He's always putting people down. Just go away, dude. Your time has passed. Keep making music if you want to, but do it because love it and don't worry about other artists and bands.

I went to a Pumpkins (version 2.0) show in '07 at the Tower Theater just outside Philly. It was a great show and I'm glad I attended. But I will never attend another Corgan / Pumpkins performance. The guy doesn't deserve my money.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    I'm just going to leave these here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ESMCx0KNVkw
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312

yeah, i think the foo's criticism, which i agree with by the way, should have also been used for pj instead of "they don't have the songs." they've got tons of great songs, but haven't evolved as much as a lot of us would've liked over the last decade....

people need to chill the fuck out around here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    Just a few random thoughts...

1. Gish & Siamese Dream are two of my favorite records ever.
    2. Mellon Collie for me is just ok. About 8 fantastic tracks and a bunch of other stuff I can't listen to at all.
    3. After Mellon Collie I can't stand almost anything William has put out.
    4. I don't really see people being that upset over what he's said just giving their opinions on his statements about a band that they love.
    5. William has been whining since day 1. Its no surprise.
    6. In my opinion PJ has maintained a great balance between keeping fans excited but still doing things their own way. (which seems like an incredibly tough balance to maintain)
    7. I disagree with people saying PJ has played it "safe". They have taking plenty of musical risks over the years and it has worked. (No Code, Binaural)
    8. PJ is the best live band in the world. Although I have not seen the Pumpkins in years, I have heard the live shows are not very good.
    9. William is amazing on guitar.
    10. I wish he would stop whining and get back to massive feedback and rocking the fuck out!
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Sorry Billy, the smashing pumpkins not only are NOT one of the 2 most influential bands from the 90's, you're barely in the top 10. Maybe #10.

I'll repeat, he's a fucking douche bag

Lol all you guys saying he's a douche bag.. I dont think what he said was that bad..mist actually true but yes billy does like to push buttons..pumpkins where definitely top 5 out of 90s..they had their own sound and it ripped.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Gish.. Siamese dream.. Melon collie.. 3 great albums.
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Sorry Billy, the smashing pumpkins not only are NOT one of the 2 most influential bands from the 90's, you're barely in the top 10. Maybe #10.

Lol all you guys saying he's a douche bag.. I dont think what he said was that bad..mist actually true but yes billy does like to push buttons..pumpkins where definitely top 5 out of 90s..they had their own sound and it ripped.
    haha....people's feelings are so easily hurt around here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Wma31394 said:

haha....I SWEAR TO GOD...people's feelings are so easily hurt around here.
    FIXED
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

Wma31394 said:

FIXED
    hey...wait a....hey!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    derbydave said:

Wma31394 said:

FIXED
    =))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

derbydave said:

Wma31394 said:

FIXED
    hey...wait a....hey!
    I thought this thread could us a little BATMAN humor!!
    =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

Billy Corgan is responsible for the demise of his band and popularity. No question. Smashing Pumpkins were up there with Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and STP but Corgan blew it and killed the legacy. SP put out some great, great records that probably all but 10 bands in the nineties would haved killed for.

Blew his legacy?? He created it.. None of those bands you mention made any great music aside from their 90s albums. You think nirvana would have?? No way. Has pj?? I don't think so. Better he killed the band.. Although I wish jimmy was still playing with him but he will again.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Wma31394 said:

Gish.. Siamese dream.. Melon collie.. 3 great albums.

HAVE to include Pisces in there too.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Part of the problem is people reading snipets of interviews rather than listening to them. Inflection of voice is lost and people who are posting opinions of interviews are doing so trying to get more clicks themselves. You can grab a small part to support to make any point you want to make. I listened to it and I don't get where all the anger is coming from. We all love PJ or we wouldn't be here in 10c. If you look at everything with a non 10c frame of mind they don't have the stable of songs that have kept them as the top act from that era. While they did have a recent #1 album that was because we all rushed out and bought it on release day. You only need to sell a couple hundred thousand copies in a week (unless Lady Gaga or some other Pop act releases as well) to accomplish that. We covered that here easily. When you go to shows how many younger fans are there who weren't shown the love of PJ by their parents? Very few. This is not to say PJ does not have a stable of amazing songs as they do. They are my favorite band by far and I love all the albums except Backspacer as most here do as well. It is from the sphere of music in general, not as a PJ fan. None of my friends at work who are of close to the same age do not even know PJ is still putting out new music and they are rock fans as well. Maybe I need to keep better company, but it is the truth and if you polled 50 people in the right age on the street most would say the same.

So far as Foo they found their niche and are sticking with it. We forget how pissed people were at Metalica back in the day for trying something different with the Black album. If Foo found a sound that sells and they are happy why should they try something different. As William said this is still a business and the Foo sell shows out.

Plus +1 to Sober being the best song of the 90's. End of Silence from Rollins was the best non Grunge album from that era as well.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Wma31394 said:

haha....people's feelings are so easily hurt around here.
    My feelings aren't at all hurt. Don't be silly. I 100% disagree with what he said. The smashing pumpkins certainly had an original sound. And some great cds. But they were far from influential. For him to proclaim the it was nirvana and him up there as the best of the 90's is borderline retarded.

I stand by what I said earlier. Billy corgan while a great songwriter, has a horrific voice. He's horrible live. If pearl jam didn't write another new song, they could still sell out tours for the next 10-15 years. The smashing pumpkins can't and Billy know that. CD for CD, pearl jam is just better.

And why now do some of you think that PJ hasn't evolved? Or changed and experimented? Do any of you remember Binaural and riot act? Avacado and BS were average at best. And LB is really good. Billy corgan hasn't wriiten a good CD since the turn of the century.