Options

BIlly Corgan talks shit on PJ on Howard Stern show..

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463

What is wrong with you people? This should have been 2 page thread at most.

Hey!!! Take it easy. We're just killing time till the next tour so we can start back on our song request threads. Shheeeeezzz......
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440

cydonia said:

Musics not a competition, as he said pearl jam are competitors to his one man show. There's musicians and there's ' the man' . All bands whatever genre should be together in making the world a better place, as pearl jam admirably do with their charity work. He's gained a lot of publicity by saying these uneducated things and to me seems childish. When becoming disillusioned with the whole record industry as sometimes I do, with the whole illuminati conspiracy myth , people like billy corgan only reinforce my opinion that they probably do exist!! Joking aside, it's summed up by one word....jealousy..............

He was ASKED his opinion, he wasn't fishing for publicity, it just so happened that Howard Stern asked those questions, and he answered honestly.

I don't think he's jealous, so much as bemused - like he could have easily carried on with the same type of music and remained popular, but he chose to try other things. I'm not defending him in terms of his musical output, which has largely been shit for the last ten years or so......but I guess at least he tried.

I remember an interview after the Pumpkins greatest hits came out, and people thought Billy had lost his ability to write classic Pumpkins-sounding songs, and they included the song Untitled on the record - it was vintage Pumkins, and I get the impression he could always revert back to that kind of sound if he wanted..

Howard asked because there was an article where Billy said he and Kurt were the top 2 guys of the 90s. So naturally it was going to be asked
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628

To think pearl jam hasn't evolved is silly. LB doesn't sound like Binaural or Ten. They are a rock and roll band. Not a punk or pop act. They write good music that 1) satisfies them and 2) doesn't alienate their fan base. So in that respect, Billys opinion is wrong. What more could you ask for?

Secondly, the main issue I had with corgans comments are that he puts himself in the same category with Kurt cobain. That's a joke. Sorry, but the smashing pumpkins had nothing to do with the "grunge" explosion of the early 90's. If they had never written a song, the 90's scene still would have survived. Melon Collie definitely added to the scene, but it wasn't what kept it going.

Third, for those of you that think this is a silly debate or that it should have only lasted 2 pages, nobody is forcing you to read it. You are adding nothing to the debate by saying as such.

I don't think Corgan said PJ hasn't evolved, did he? I thought he said that about the Foos.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    PJ_Soul said:

To think pearl jam hasn't evolved is silly. LB doesn't sound like Binaural or Ten. They are a rock and roll band. Not a punk or pop act. They write good music that 1) satisfies them and 2) doesn't alienate their fan base. So in that respect, Billys opinion is wrong. What more could you ask for?

Secondly, the main issue I had with corgans comments are that he puts himself in the same category with Kurt cobain. That's a joke. Sorry, but the smashing pumpkins had nothing to do with the "grunge" explosion of the early 90's. If they had never written a song, the 90's scene still would have survived. Melon Collie definitely added to the scene, but it wasn't what kept it going.

Third, for those of you that think this is a silly debate or that it should have only lasted 2 pages, nobody is forcing you to read it. You are adding nothing to the debate by saying as such.

I don't think Corgan said PJ hasn't evolved, did he? I thought he said that about the Foos.
    That was directed more at some here on the forums that are saying they haven't evolved.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315

PJ_Soul said:

That was directed more at some here on the forums that are saying they haven't evolved.
    they really haven't much in the last decade or so. still put out pretty good music though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i'd also like to point out that mr. corgan called pj a "great band" at least a couple times in this interview. kind of weird how no one mentioned that. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 804
    Basically everyone in this thread is doing exactly what they are complaining about Billy doing. Who cares if he does not like pj. A lot of people don't. As long as you do thats all that matters. Everyone has different tastes in music.
  • Options
    Alright, I've bashed Billy pretty hard myself in a couple posts. I really did love the pumpkins in my high school and first part of my college years. Siamese and Mellon Collie were right up there with just about anything that PJ had put out at the time.

My gut tells me that music came extremely naturally to Billy and he didn't have to work quite as hard as Eddie did to develop his abilities. This probably lead to him always feeling like other musicians were too slow to keep up with him. While he was probably right, he probably didn't realize that he still needed a consistent and 'good enough' supporting cast to ensure the longevity of his band.

And honestly, I feel like Billy is probably way more talented than any single member of PJ. But we all know that the musical world is littered with uber talented musicians who never even get a song played on the radio. With Eddie and PJ, theres a certain magic that comes from hard work and of course Eddie's incredible singing voice.

I think the OP was a bit unfair in taking Billy's comments out of context. If you actually hear what he has to say afterwards, you might think differently about him. He actually commends both PJ and Foo for their longevity. You almost get a sense of regret that he wasn't able to keep the Pumpkins together like PJ and Foo have.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

Alright, I've bashed Billy pretty hard myself in a couple posts. I really did love the pumpkins in my high school and first part of my college years. Siamese and Mellon Collie were right up there with just about anything that PJ had put out at the time.

My gut tells me that music came extremely naturally to Billy and he didn't have to work quite as hard as Eddie did to develop his abilities. This probably lead to him always feeling like other musicians were too slow to keep up with him. While he was probably right, he probably didn't realize that he still needed a consistent and 'good enough' supporting cast to ensure the longevity of his band.

And honestly, I feel like Billy is probably way more talented than any single member of PJ. But we all know that the musical world is littered with uber talented musicians who never even get a song played on the radio. With Eddie and PJ, theres a certain magic that comes from hard work and of course Eddie's incredible singing voice.

I think the OP was a bit unfair in taking Billy's comments out of context. If you actually hear what he has to say afterwards, you might think differently about him. He actually commends both PJ and Foo for their longevity. You almost get a sense of regret that he wasn't able to keep the Pumpkins together like PJ and Foo have.

stop it.....you're being WAAAAY too logical for this thread.

great points all around. well said.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    vaggar99 said:

Thread Killer! :-q
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I'm wondering how many people that posted actually listened to the actual interview and didn't just read snipets or get their opinion of it from others peoples posts.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848

What's the bass player up to these days?

Living on a farm and getting arrested.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Says the einstein who bumps it and makes it longer.

=D>
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    cdysinge said:

I'm wondering how many people that posted actually listened to the actual interview and didn't just read snipets or get their opinion of it from others peoples posts.

Listening to the interview helps.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and the greatest song of the 90s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4
  • Options
    and the foo fighters? they will kick your ass and laugh in your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ&list=TLrtRI1lkCtH4
  • Options

That song marked the begining of the end to great music in 90's. Then we got Alanis, Third Eye Blind, Limp Bizkit, Smash Mouth etc. etc.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,474
    It's been more than 20 years and I've yet to figure out the alure of Cobain
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,213

joseph33 said:

It all about the hair people. Billy is pissed he lost all his and Ed has a thick beautiful plush of hair. Last time i think Billy had hair was in that ice cream truck video.

Wait...Billy and Ed aren't friends?

Hahaha..i dont think i was talking about Joel,Gibbons,Idol,or Jean.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    "I fear that I'm ORDINARY just like EVERY1"

greatest opening line of all time! END
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

they really haven't much in the last decade or so. still put out pretty good music though.
    Well, the word evolve is wrong. They've just changed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Couldn't 't agree more with last-12-exit more really thoughtful and insightful comments. We can't put everything into words sometimes and the forums about sharing opinions. I loved Mellon collie, and believe in freedom of speech , no ones wrong no ones right, but if you've followed a band over twenty years it's hard to understand why popular musicians say certain things. I haven't heard the whole interview, so maybe I'm wrong to! But some comments were undeniably aimed at pearl jam and he was answering the questions, but as we say ....mind your manners!!!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,474
    Artists are insecure. I think there are few exceptions to that statement but I can't think of one example
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options

Holy crap! I totally forgot that song existed! Isn't interesting how all of that music sounded almost identical?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Holy crap! I totally forgot that song existed! Isn't interesting how all of that music sounded almost identical?

Well since we are on bands that we forget existed.......
    http://evolutionrecords.ca/ten-seconds-over-tokyo.html
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I think 1979 is a great song, but I do not think it cracks the top 10 of the greatest songs of the 90's.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548

Says the einstein who bumps it and makes it longer.

=D>
    Bump :)
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    This is coming from a guy who has not been relevant since 1996, literally. Who the hell is he to be critical of any band on Pearl Jam's level? He and his band couldn't even sell out a small arena today. This is a joke
  • Options

I think 1979 is a great song, but I do not think it cracks the top 10 of the greatest songs of the 90's.

Neither do I. There were a lot of great songs in the 90s though.