Options

Enhanced Interrogation Techniques and Torturing Some Folks Memos

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Bush: We Don't Torture People: http://youtu.be/g6LtL9lCTRA
  • Options

While the CIA has said publicly that it held about 100 detainees, the committee found that at least 119 people were in the agency’s custody.

“The fact is they lost track and they didn’t really know who they were holding,” the Senate aide said, noting that investigators found emails in which CIA personnel were “surprised” to find some people in their custody. The CIA also determined that at least 26 of its detainees were wrongfully held. Due to the agency’s poor record-keeping, it may never be known precisely how many detainees were held, and how they were treated in custody, the committee found.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Like I said, very anticlimactic. Nothing new found in the report except how far the CIA will go to lie to congress. But that's not really news.

I wouldn't say nothing new. I had never heard a peep about sodomy before this report, that's a pretty big little tidbit they were able to keep quiet!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    edited December 2014
    Post edited by Stickman12 on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    rgambs said:

Like I said, very anticlimactic. Nothing new found in the report except how far the CIA will go to lie to congress. But that's not really news.

I wouldn't say nothing new. I had never heard a peep about sodomy before this report, that's a pretty big little tidbit they were able to keep quiet!
    Agreed, that is new.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    JC29856 said:

Shocker, GW lied. This is horrible. How can we live with ourselves?

And nothing in that report is surprising. If any of you claim to be surprised by anything in that report, you are seriously kidding yourselves. I have not done this, but if you search throughout these pages, I'd bet you'll find a thread that someone posted about rectal torture that the evil Americans were inflicting on detainees.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    ejleonjr said:

callen said:

ejleonjr said:

Sorry I didnt have time to read through everything but what I have read is some good shit. JC you have a lot of info on here, I mean a lot. I guess my question/comment is that in the time following 9/11 didnt Bush basically say he was going to do whatever he had to do to keep the American people safe? And when confronted on specifics or legality he basically repeated the line, I will do whatever I have to do to keep the American people safe. I not saying he admitted to anything, but you can read between the lines with what he is saying. And in the days following 9/11 my guess is that the American people would rally under such sayings.

Many did not rally.

Did not rally behind bush? behind his tactics?
    Both
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

JC29856 said:

Approximately 200 people died in U.S. custody, including at least a dozen during or shortly after interrogations.

Killed by interrogation techniques that are so soft rr makes light of them. What pussies, right?....I mean...at least they weren't beheaded, that's a way worse way to go than being tortured to death, right?
    Oh, but these were 'scum bags', not journalists.....
    Well, maybe...But how many innocent people were detained and, as mentioned, released without charge?
    Will we get full investigations into the 'dozen' (nice guess?) killed while being tortured? Is it possible the US tortured innocent people to death? Were there innocents amongst the hundreds who died in custody?

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Sleep deprevation,Loud music,uncomfortable positions are 3 of the four items in the report.So that is the torture you guys are worried about? Im sure tickleing with a feather ,and wet willies would also make the list.Lets get real here.We live in a world with evil people and we are not going to contain them by asking nice and offering comfy pillows.
    These fuckers lop off heads and blow up children and we are worried about pouring water on some scum bag.We are too nice.What the hell are we releasing this for anyway,just stupid.

Ironic. So who are the Evil Ones??
    Well Cal I'm sure you guys think it's us.You know those evil Americans with our freedoms of speech and religion.The same ones who let our ladies drive and school girls study.How dare Us.
    Has our foreign policy been a mess? Have we also done things that are not kosher?Sure,But let's not pretend that those innocent jihadists are not a problem.We at least don't "try" to run up an innocent body count.
    You don't? So the use of depleted uranium shells, mini-nukes/'bunker busters' etc - guaranteed to kill innocents, has always been an accident? The US didn't 'try' to drop A-bombs on entire cities? Those helicopter pilots killing journalists and then the paramedics that came to help, on orders?....oops. I could come up with endless examples of actions where innocent victims were written off as collateral damage, as a matter of policy: not accidental deaths. When 'they' do it - it's terrorism. When 'we' do it - it's 'not kosher'. almost funny.
    I'll keep reminding you here as well.....ISIS is a US/ally creation and proxy in Syria. You're deflecting... right back at yourself.
    Deflecting what Drowned? I know you get all hot and bothered every time we have a us(US/the west)vs Them conversation.You always take the anti west stance especially when the Middle East is involved.Why?
    Bringing WW2 and its Harsh realities don't apply to this conversation.Every modern country has past regrets based on war.From the Roman Empire to Nazi Germany to our Attacks on Japan.
    I don't condone atrocities Commited by us and I sure as hell don't about those who want to inflict harm.
    I don't disagree about our part in creating the ISIS problem ,but we cannot just walk away and let that type of ideology run rough shot on the Middle East.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937

JC29856 said:

Shocker, GW lied. This is horrible. How can we live with ourselves?

And nothing in that report is surprising. If any of you claim to be surprised by anything in that report, you are seriously kidding yourselves. I have not done this, but if you search throughout these pages, I'd bet you'll find a thread that someone posted about rectal torture that the evil Americans were inflicting on detainees.
    Sodomy? Rectal hydration? Rectal feeding? I don't think I'm kidding myself in being surprised by that. Not that torture was happening - as I said earlier in the thread, this is something I have always assumed was happening somewhere. But some of the specific techniques, those are surprising.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

JC29856 said:

Approximately 200 people died in U.S. custody, including at least a dozen during or shortly after interrogations.

Killed by interrogation techniques that are so soft rr makes light of them. What pussies, right?....I mean...at least they weren't beheaded, that's a way worse way to go than being tortured to death, right?
    Oh, but these were 'scum bags', not journalists.....
    Well, maybe...But how many innocent people were detained and, as mentioned, released without charge?
    Will we get full investigations into the 'dozen' (nice guess?) killed while being tortured? Is it possible the US tortured innocent people to death? Were there innocents amongst the hundreds who died in custody?

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Sleep deprevation,Loud music,uncomfortable positions are 3 of the four items in the report.So that is the torture you guys are worried about? Im sure tickleing with a feather ,and wet willies would also make the list.Lets get real here.We live in a world with evil people and we are not going to contain them by asking nice and offering comfy pillows.
    These fuckers lop off heads and blow up children and we are worried about pouring water on some scum bag.We are too nice.What the hell are we releasing this for anyway,just stupid.

Ironic. So who are the Evil Ones??
    Well Cal I'm sure you guys think it's us.You know those evil Americans with our freedoms of speech and religion.The same ones who let our ladies drive and school girls study.How dare Us.
    Has our foreign policy been a mess? Have we also done things that are not kosher?Sure,But let's not pretend that those innocent jihadists are not a problem.We at least don't "try" to run up an innocent body count.
    You don't? So the use of depleted uranium shells, mini-nukes/'bunker busters' etc - guaranteed to kill innocents, has always been an accident? The US didn't 'try' to drop A-bombs on entire cities? Those helicopter pilots killing journalists and then the paramedics that came to help, on orders?....oops. I could come up with endless examples of actions where innocent victims were written off as collateral damage, as a matter of policy: not accidental deaths. When 'they' do it - it's terrorism. When 'we' do it - it's 'not kosher'. almost funny.
    I'll keep reminding you here as well.....ISIS is a US/ally creation and proxy in Syria. You're deflecting... right back at yourself.
    Deflecting what Drowned? I know you get all hot and bothered every time we have a us(US/the west)vs Them conversation.You always take the anti west stance especially when the Middle East is involved.Why?
    Bringing WW2 and its Harsh realities don't apply to this conversation.Every modern country has past regrets based on war.From the Roman Empire to Nazi Germany to our Attacks on Japan.
    I don't condone atrocities Commited by us and I sure as hell don't about those who want to inflict harm.
    I don't disagree about our part in creating the ISIS problem ,but we cannot just walk away and let that type of ideology run rough shot on the Middle East.
    Your ideology maintains the flame.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I'm sure everybody heard of a guy called John Kiriakou.

Today, John Kiriakou is in a federal prison in Loretto, Pennsylvania, serving two and a half years for disclosing classified information — confirming the name of a CIA agent to a New York Times reporter. Facing 30 years, he took a plea deal for 30 months. He has five children, and it's been difficult to see them while he's been inside. He's scheduled to move to house arrest in February, before his sentence finishes up in May.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/9/7362757/the-man-who-fought-cia-torture-is-still-in-prison-john-kiriakou
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    How can anyone defend torture? Black yellow or red, shits wrong. What blows my mind is that we can get info from all over the world. Can read as much as we want on subjects to make our own decessions. And yet we still have people who can see no wrong in what our government is doing. What's that awesome line from that awesome song? "Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country's doing TO YOU!"
  • Options
    This from self admitted war criminal John McCain that knows a thing or two about divulging information to your captures.

It is a thorough and thoughtful study of practices that I believe not only failed their purpose—to secure actionable intelligence to prevent further attacks on the U.S. and our allies—but actually damaged our security interests, as well as our reputation as a force for good in the world.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Those responsible for the "criminal conspiracy" revealed in the report on CIA torture must be prosecuted, including senior U.S. government officials who authorized the harsh interrogation tactics, the U.N. Special Rapporteur on counter-terrorism and human rights said Tuesday.

The worlds reply.... you got a better chance of seeing Jesus at a pearl jam concert in tel aviv.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    Reagan signed 1984
    CONVENTION AGAINST TORTURE
    and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading
    Treatment or Punishment

Article 2 of the convention prohibits torture, and requires parties to take effective measures to prevent it in any territory under its jurisdiction.
    This prohibition is absolute and non-derogable. "No exceptional circumstances whatsoever" may be invoked to justify torture, including war, threat of war, internal political instability, public emergency, terrorist acts, violent crime, or any form of armed conflict. Torture cannot be justified as a means to protect public safety or prevent emergencies. Neither can it be justified by orders from superior officers or public officials. The prohibition on torture applies to all territories under a party's effective jurisdiction, and protects all people under its effective control, regardless of citizenship or how that control is exercised. Since the convention's entry into force, this absolute prohibition has become accepted as a principle of customary international law.

The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of the Convention . It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.
  • Options
    In the wake of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s landmark report on the CIA’s post-9/11 torture program, civil rights organizations are calling for those responsible to face immediate legal accountability. The 600-page executive summary of the report released today documents in excruciating detail episodes of sexual torture, beatings, and other forms of physical and mental abuse committed against detainees.

Yeah and don't forget to leave Elvis a will call ticket to the pearl jam show in tel aviv.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Reagan signed 1984
    CONVENTION AGAINST TORTURE
    and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading
    Treatment or Punishment

Article 2 of the convention prohibits torture, and requires parties to take effective measures to prevent it in any territory under its jurisdiction.
    This prohibition is absolute and non-derogable. "No exceptional circumstances whatsoever" may be invoked to justify torture, including war, threat of war, internal political instability, public emergency, terrorist acts, violent crime, or any form of armed conflict. Torture cannot be justified as a means to protect public safety or prevent emergencies. Neither can it be justified by orders from superior officers or public officials. The prohibition on torture applies to all territories under a party's effective jurisdiction, and protects all people under its effective control, regardless of citizenship or how that control is exercised. Since the convention's entry into force, this absolute prohibition has become accepted as a principle of customary international law.

The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of the Convention . It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.

But they're Evildoers.
  • Options
    Google translate
    "Verschärfte Vernehmung"

Can't rent that nice apartment or get a job because your listed on the sex offenders registry...the CIA WANTS YOU!

Some of those involved in torture had “workplace anger management issues, and had reportedly admitted to sexual assault,” according to the report. “In nearly all cases” the CIA knew about the negative aspects of the officials record before they were assigned.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rr165892 said:

Ab-Sol-Fuking-lootly…...We are such a joke now to our enemies now. The pusification of American Continues.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    U.N. human rights expert said a report that the U.S. Senate released on Tuesday revealed a “clear policy orchestrated at a high level within the Bush administration” and called for prosecution of U.S. officials who ordered crimes, including torture, against detainees.

Ben Emmerson, United Nations special rapporteur on human rights and counter-terrorism, said senior Bush administration officials who planned and authorized crimes must be prosecuted, along with as CIA and other U.S. government officials who committed torture such as waterboarding.

“As a matter of international law, the U.S. is legally obliged to bring those responsible to justice,” Emmerson said in a statement issued in Geneva. “The U.S. Attorney General is under a legal duty to bring criminal charges against those responsible.”

Better chance of seeing the Easter Bunny playing bass guitar at a pearl jam show in tel aviv on new years!
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Ab-Sol-Fuking-lootly…...We are such a joke now to our enemies now. The pusification of American Continues.
    Yeah let's sodomize the whole world, that will show our enemies who's tough.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

You sound like a character from a movie th at would go straight to DVD.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Good to see Im not alone here.
  • Options
    You liberal do gooders ,do realize that after 911 the great Nancy Pelosi was in fact briefed and signed off on "Enhanced Interogation techniques" For which you are sooooo outraged.Everyone was on board after 911.Do your research JC,you will see.
    Also for those that don't think this ridiculous and careless release is not political ,think again.This is a parting shot by Feinstien before the Rep take over.I hope the are happy that they put many westerners in danger by this stupid partisan bullshit.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

I love how the guy with the MOST bombs/missles in the world is the "real" tough guy. You're right dan, we are a fucken joke.
  • Options
    Last post for the day...this one is dedicated to those that comment about the $40M cost to produce the torture report.

The US intelligence community’s $53 billion black budget remains largely secret, despite Edward Snowden’s leaks—we now have evidence of at least $480 million paid to other countries to torture detainees. Some of the more egregious torture sites got paid up to four times as much as others.
    The $480 is exclusively "interrogation fees" not counting transportation medical and etc.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

How can anyone defend torture? Black yellow or red, shits wrong. What blows my mind is that we can get info from all over the world. Can read as much as we want on subjects to make our own decessions. And yet we still have people who can see no wrong in what our government is doing. What's that awesome line from that awesome song? "Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country's doing TO YOU!"

Nart ,watch the Movie Unthinkable with Samuel L Jackson.It frames this exact argument perfectly.Its way more complex of an issue then our little conversations on this board.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

You liberal do gooders ,do realize that after 911 the great Nancy Pelosi was in fact briefed and signed off on "Enhanced Interogation techniques" For which you are sooooo outraged.Everyone was on board after 911.Do your research JC,you will see.
    Also for those that don't think this ridiculous and careless release is not political ,think again.This is a parting shot by Feinstien before the Rep take over.I hope the are happy that they put many westerners in danger by this stupid partisan bullshit.

Nobody likes Nancy Pelosi, and us liberal dogooders NEVER support torture. Parting shot or last chance to get it into daylight? It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to suggest that torturing is OK but a report about it isn't. I have come to seriously respect you but you sound crazy, like Fox News right now. All this Westerners in danger baloney and tough talk.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

Nart ,watch the Movie Unthinkable with Samuel L Jackson.It frames this exact argument perfectly.Its way more complex of an issue then our little conversations on this board.
    Yeah except that there WEREN'T thousands of lives on the line, in immediate danger.
  • Options
    If it is ok for us to torture them because theu blow people up, why is it not ok for them to torture us because we blow people up?