Options

Audioholics: pimp out all your audio shit

Comments

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    ldent42 wrote: »
    Is that a coffee cup holder you got them stacked on?

Yep!

I bought this at Bed,Bath and Beyond, it makes a great headphone holder. So do some of the banana stands.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/55131-spectrum-euroTM-mug-tree.html
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    So whats better by opinion? TT with good amp/receiver with good headphones or TT with good amp/receiver on big speakers?

I have Denon everything with dresser size infinitys. Personally I like the large speaker setup but can agree you may hear more through headphones.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    So whats better by opinion? TT with good amp/receiver with good headphones or TT with good amp/receiver on big speakers?<br />
    <br />
    I have Denon everything with dresser size infinitys. Personally I like the large speaker setup but can agree you may hear more through headphones.

What do you mean by TT?
    I know people like a good pair of cans, but I'm not good at sitting and listening to music. I like to shoot pool, throw darts, mill around, etc, so a great amp/receiver and nice speakers are for me. Most of what I have are bi-polar speakers now, which tends to give a fuller sound, imo. I am thinking about taking a pair of Magnepans for a test drive. They offer 60 days free with round trip shipping. They are 4 ohm speakers so you have to be sure you have plenty of juice.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sorry. TT = turntable

Exactly. Im too moving around for head phones. Shooting stick. But I like good. Sound. I cant wait to play flac on my boat.

Listening room is 7.1 with variety of speakers and denon setup. Upstairs and down.
    Post edited by Out of My Mind and Time on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    Sorry. TT = turntable

Exactly. Im too moving around for head phones. Shooting stick. But I like good. Sound. I cant wait to play flac on my boat.

Listening room is 7.1 with variety of speakers and denon setup. Upstairs and down.

I prefer listening thru a tube preamp with my Klipsch speakers.
    I know it pisses off the neighbors, but nothing sounds as good as rock n roll thru speakers that can "push some air". Headphones are nice too but I would have to go with speakers.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    There is a time and place for big speakers and headphones. Big speakers for those times when you can't sit still and just have to boogie around the room, and cans for those times when you want to listen critically and evaluate a piece of music. I equate using good headphones to the act of listening to music through a microscope.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited February 2015
    Are wireless headphones any good?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Rega P3 turntable, Bozak DMS6000W speakers, Marantz PM11S1 amp, Blue Point cartridge
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    PJ_Soul said:

Are wireless headphone any good?

Seems to me, that it would be hard to get the quality the same, never having listened to wireless before
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited February 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Are wireless headphone any good?

Seems to me, that it would be hard to get the quality the same, never having listened to wireless before
    That's what I figure too, but then think about how fast technology is always progressing, so maybe if some really great wireless headphones don't exist yet, they soon will... would love to see some reports from those who can afford to sample new technologies, lol. I know there are expert reviews, but honestly, I just don't really trust them. A lot of those reviewers seem full of shit. I'd like to hear from regular civilian audiophiles. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited February 2015
    PJ soul, they're heavy. I assume because of the battery. I tried several and didn't like them
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    The trade-off for wireless headphones is fidelity for convenience. I'd use them for TV or gaming but not for critical listening to music or for monitoring mixes for recording.

Also, my stereo: Marantz 2245 receiver, Dual 1019 TT, Denon DCD-1800r CD player. Speakers are Cerwin Vega VS-120's, Klipsch KG 2.5's and a Klipsch SW-10 subwoofer. All pieces of this system were broken when I got them and have all been repaired or restored. I totally rebuilt the Marantz and the Dual, recapped the crossovers in all of the speakers and replaced the midrange drivers in the C-V's. I rebuilt the loading mechanism in the Denon. The Klipsch sub had the caps all replaced in the power supply.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dudeman said:

The trade-off for wireless headphones is fidelity for convenience. I'd use them for TV or gaming but not for critical listening to music or for monitoring mixes for recording.

Also, my stereo: Marantz 2245 receiver, Dual 1019 TT, Denon DCD-1800r CD player. Speakers are Cerwin Vega VS-120's, Klipsch KG 2.5's and a Klipsch SW-10 subwoofer. All pieces of this system were broken when I got them and have all been repaired or restored. I totally rebuilt the Marantz and the Dual, recapped the crossovers in all of the speakers and replaced the midrange drivers in the C-V's. I rebuilt the loading mechanism in the Denon. The Klipsch sub had the caps all replaced in the power supply.

Nice vintage Marantz. I'd love to get an old school receiver but my systems are both dual purpose so that would mean another set of speakers. Since I already have 8 sets scattered around the house and a closet full of equipment, that wouldn't be a popular decision around here.
    How do you like those CV's? I have some old speakers and although they tend to be nice and mellow, for the footprint of them (big) and the cabinetry (kind of bland generally), I think new technology is much more attractive with equal if not better sound. Whereas vintage receivers are superior for two channel listening and look beautiful.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Rotel RA-1062 Integrated
    Quad 11L bookshelf speakers
    PS Audio DigitalLink III DA converter
    Apple TV Generation 2
    Technics sl-d2 turntable

Basement System
    Harmon Kardon AVR receiver
    Apple Airport express for streaming
    Old hand me down Pioneer giant cabinet speakers
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Nice vintage Marantz. I'd love to get an old school receiver but my systems are both dual purpose so that would mean another set of speakers. Since I already have 8 sets scattered around the house and a closet full of equipment, that wouldn't be a popular decision around here.
    How do you like those CV's? I have some old speakers and although they tend to be nice and mellow, for the footprint of them (big) and the cabinetry (kind of bland generally), I think new technology is much more attractive with equal if not better sound. Whereas vintage receivers are superior for two channel listening and look beautiful.

The Marantz is responsible for my building of a dedicated two-channel stereo and getting away from listening to music on my surround sound home theater. It totally changed the way I enjoy music in my home and opened a can of worms for me in a big and positive way. The CV's are absolutely great for the type of music I listen to. They get dismissed in audiophile circles as only good for rock and roll or as "party speakers", but I listen mostly to rock and roll and love to shake the house. They are very efficient and can output uncomfortable amounts of volume with only the 45 watts per channel that the 2245 feeds them. I only have about $40.00 into them but they sound like a million bucks to me.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited February 2015
    When younger would lay in front of receiver with headphones on. Not anymore and with loosing significant high frequency in one ear just hard to listen to headphones. Hearing loss not attributed to loud music. So prefer big towers and sub. Have two additional zones ( thanks Onkyo) so house is filled with music so can do things around house and towers and sub fill in low frequencies for rooms without. Have old Marantz I bought as a kid and need to have it repaired. It's an SR6000 of something like that. Full receiver so probably not one of he sought after models.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I'm trying to sell a system on Craigslist right now, complete 5.1. It's a good system for most, but I'm a bit of a snob on this.
    46 inch LCD Sony Grand Vega
    2 Boston CS226 tower
    2 Boston 6.5 inch HS60 bookshelf
    Boston XB2 8 inch sub (only goes down to 40, so more musical than movie)
    An old Infinity Sterling center channel
    Onkyo RTC-360 receiver. Pretty loaded up 100x7, multi zone, 6 hdmi, DLNA, etc
    Three level glass/wood stand
    I also offered 800 gb of FLAC/ 24 bit music.

I'm asking $1000 and feel like it's a good deal, but no hits yet. If I don't sell it, then it's just more shit in the closet that gets older. Think I'm asking too much?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I'm trying to sell a system on Craigslist right now, complete 5.1. It's a good system for most, but I'm a bit of a snob on this.
    2 Boston CS226 tower

I'm asking $1000 and feel like it's a good deal, but no hits yet. If I don't sell it, then it's just more shit in the closet that gets older. Think I'm asking too much?

sounds like a great deal to me.
    If I was in the market for surround, I would snatch this up.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

2 Boston CS226 tower

You might do better in listing each component separately. IMO, part of the fun in building a system is hand selecting components and speakers. If you get interest on any single items, you may be able to mention the complete package.

$1,000 sounds reasonable for what you have there. Good luck with the sale!
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I am going to list them separately. I'm also going to sell my squeezebox duet too. Amazon has the Yamaha Aventage RX-830 on sale for $499, normally $900. The 1030 is $500 off. If you are looking for a strong AVR, these are unbelievably prices. I will be buying one of them tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I went with a Yamaha Aventage for my HT receiver and couldn't be happier. I found a deal like this on Amazon and I used the reward points from my credit card to help with the remainder of the cost. I ended up with a $1000.00 receiver for about $130.00.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I went with Yamaha Avenge for my HT receiver and couldn't be happier. I found a deal like this on Amazon and I used the reward points from my credit card to help with the remainder of the cost. I ended up with a $1000.00 receiver for about $130.00.

NICE!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I bought the 1030 last night. What a friggin' deal. I'm ready for it to be delivered, was so tempted to pay the $14 for one day shipping. At the end of the day, I went with the higher end one because of the better DAC and the second heat sink. There's a few other nuances, but that was important to me. I don't know if I will ever hear the difference or if it will really run cooler, but if I didn't, I would always wonder if there was better sound out there.

Now I really need to sell the Onkyo...

Dudeman - are you streaming music using the DLNA function? If so, are you doing 24 bit 96+khz? I'm wondering if it handles it smoothly. I'd love to be able to sell my squeezebox too. Those things still catch a good price since they aren't made anymore.
  • Options
    I don't really have an opinion about music streaming or sound quality of music through the Yamaha. I bought it because it was a great deal but I really only use it for watching movies. I have played Pandora through it but music just sounds better through my stereo. Also, I listen to records and CD's. Aside from experimenting with Pandora, that's it. No iPod, iPad, iPhone.......nothing. I'm pretty low-tech when it comes to music.

About your streaming question; I imagine it should handle 24/96 just fine. It's a very capable piece of equipment.
  • Options
    Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    In case anyone is on the fence about buying Sennheiser HD 650's, I just found them on amazon for $290 today. This seems like a good price point, given what I have seen on the market. Next up- a good set of balanced cables to go with my pono. I wanted a nice set of headphones and really wanted to try balanced cable mode. Looking forward to some Pearl Jam boots with these. Cheers!
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I don't really have an opinion about music streaming or sound quality of music through the Yamaha. I bought it because it was a great deal but I really only use it for watching movies. I have played Pandora through it but music just sounds better through my stereo. Also, I listen to records and CD's. Aside from experimenting with Pandora, that's it. No iPod, iPad, iPhone.......nothing. I'm pretty low-tech when it comes to music.

About your streaming question; I imagine it should handle 24/96 just fine. It's a very capable piece of equipment.

I ordered the 1030A and it is a beautiful piece of equipment. Ironically, the LAN board was bad and kept skipping on the high def sound. My squeezebox that was hooked to the same bridge handled it so I knew it wasn't connection. So after an Amazon exchange, it's up and running and sounds very good. In fact the Boston's I am trying to sell got a whole new life in them in clarity and sound stage after pulling off them off the Onkyo. The only thing I'm struggling with now is that I can't get it anything to play 2.1 The system wants to do 7.1 or 2.0 (stereo) but I want two channel with the bass below 80 on the sub. I love getting a new AVR, but it's always a long setup.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the long set-up. At least the Yamaha has the benefit of YPAO. That saved me hours of experimenting with speaker placement.

As for 2.1 for music, I don't think you can do that with this series of receivers without using speaker-level connections to your sub and just sending everything above 80 hz back to your mains. Kind of a PITA, I know.

One more argument for a dedicated 2-channel stereo!
  • Options
    southpsouthp Posts: 269

Rega Elicit-R Amplifier, Rega RP3 turntable with Exact cartridge, B&W 805N speakers
    Also hidden in the cabinets is my PC with M-Audio 192 Soundcard running Kodi Media Center

• Options
    Hey, southp. How do you like the B&W's? Do you feel like they go low enough without having to rely on a subwoofer?
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the long set-up. At least the Yamaha has the benefit of YPAO. That saved me hours of experimenting with speaker placement.

As for 2.1 for music, I don't think you can do that with this series of receivers without using speaker-level connections to your sub and just sending everything above 80 hz back to your mains. Kind of a PITA, I know.

One more argument for a dedicated 2-channel stereo!

Yeah, the YPAO is really easy. Much better than the Pioneer Elite setup. Although I found that it had my center channel way too low, like -7, so I needed to up that for movies. But yeah, it's the scenes, styles and everything that you have to setup to make it "one button" easy so your wife or kids don't fuck things up when they try to use it.
    I think I will try to running the speaker level connections. That's a good idea. That's a bunch more wires I have to run behind a wall, but I think it will solve the problem. Thanks for that. Really a surprising oversight if that's the case.

Dedicated 2 channel would be great... but that's another set of speakers in the same listening area. I do have a zone 2 running speakers on the other side of the room, so kind of the same. They are Def tech's with the subs built in, and that routes to the subs below 80. The Yamaha really brought the best out of those too.