Options

Audioholics: pimp out all your audio shit

Comments

• Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    I have the Audio Technica ATH-M50s... not the X version... they sound great... feel a little bulky on my head though...

Also just bought a pair of the Sennheiser Momentums - over the ear - have not had a chance to fire them up yet...

Looking forward to the HD boot releases this week...
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,233
    Is $179 good price for momentums?
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    pjradio said:

Senn HD-598's

On for $113 for another 22 hours
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Horse2345 said:

pjradio said:

Senn HD-598's

On for $113 for another 22 hours
    Where?? My Brother wants a pair for Christmas

aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    Good talk on the cans, but I find it interesting that no one is talking about the DAC and/or the receiver that is driving them. Remember, you are only as strong as the weakest point in the chain. If you have these plugged into your onboard soundcard from your computer, you are most definitely not maximizing your experience. If you are streaming to a receiver or DAC, then the quality of either and both of those components are critical.

My rig..
    stream to Squeezebox Touch DAC -> Pioneer elite SC receiver -> Definitive Technology 8060 Supertowers. No headphones. I like the whole room filled up:
    Alternate channels
    Two Pioneer Elite A35 amps driving the zones(discontinued but buy one if you see it on Ebay.. best amp for the $)
    Kitchen - Bowers and Wilkins 20i bookshelves
    Den - Def Tech BP8B with BicAmerica PL-200 12 inch sub
    Garage - old school Boston Acoustics HD10s (bought in 91... first real speakers)
    Deck - Def Tech all weathers
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,469
    mrussel1 said:

Good talk on the cans, but I find it interesting that no one is talking about the DAC and/or the receiver that is driving them. Remember, you are only as strong as the weakest point in the chain. If you have these plugged into your onboard soundcard from your computer, you are most definitely not maximizing your experience. If you are streaming to a receiver or DAC, then the quality of either and both of those components are critical.

My rig..
    stream to Squeezebox Touch DAC -> Pioneer elite SC receiver -> Definitive Technology 8060 Supertowers. No headphones. I like the whole room filled up:
    Alternate channels
    Two Pioneer Elite A35 amps driving the zones(discontinued but buy one if you see it on Ebay.. best amp for the $)
    Kitchen - Bowers and Wilkins 20i bookshelves
    Den - Def Tech BP8B with BicAmerica PL-200 12 inch sub
    Garage - old school Boston Acoustics HD10s (bought in 91... first real speakers)
    Deck - Def Tech all weathers

Do you think you're losing much quality by streaming? I use an apple airport express and know there is some loss
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    There should not be any loss of quality while streaming. A wifi signal is plenty wide to carry 24 bit. The only limitation I have seen is that my DAC can't handle 96khz cleanly, so I downsample those to 24 bit, 48khz. Everything I have read is that human ear can't hear that difference and I haven't been able to tell.

As far as Airport Express, I don't have one so I don't know a ton about it. I do know that people have asked whether the express or itunes is downsampling when streaming. So really there are two questions:
    1. Can Airport natively handle 24/96 without downsampling? Is there really any literature on it?
    2. What exact DAC does the express have in it and what is the quality?

I know exactly what DAC is in my squeezebox. And I know why it's priced at $400 (which is cheap for a good DAC). It's hard to see how a quality DAC gets into a $100 apple product. Seems like a reach.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Serious question here folks... is all of this audiophile craze overhyped? Do I really need a pro studio setup in my living room? Is the sound difference worth all of the $? Can the human ear tell the difference on most of this stuff? Why does it need to be so complicated? I feel like I need a degree just to understand and hook up a "legit" sound system

I love music so is all of this worth it?

• Options
    my2hands said:

Serious question here folks... is all of this audiophile craze overhyped? Do I really need a pro studio setup in my living room? Is the sound difference worth all of the $? Can the human ear tell the difference on most of this stuff? Why does it need to be so complicated? I feel like I need a degree just to understand and hook up a "legit" sound system

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/05/pono-neil-young-24bit-192khz-review

All the ladies will love the title of this one.
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/05/pono-neil-young-24bit-192khz-review

All the ladies will love the title of this one.
    Very interesting

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2014
    Used to use closed headphones but with compromised hearing just spin vinyl on SL1200MK2 thru big Onkyo and out some JBL Towers with a Yamaha sub grounding it all. Would though love to feed HD digital into amp
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    my2hands said:

http://www.cnet.com/news/sound-bite-despite-ponos-promise-experts-pan-hd-audio/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Great read... interesting stuff... thanks!

I think i have seen enough to not buy into the hype

Viva la cd! lol
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Viva la cd! lol
    I, too, read enough to not buy into the hype.

Then I listened.

I said it before, but it may be worth mentioning again.... You can read all about sex, but you ain't gonna know how it feels until you do it.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    KV4053 said:

my2hands said:

Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Viva la cd! lol

Then I listened.

I said it before, but it may be worth mentioning again.... You can read all about sex, but you ain't gonna know how it feels until you do it.
    Haha! I recall you said this once before.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    KV4053 said:

my2hands said:

Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Viva la cd! lol

Then I listened.

Placebo, your brain is trying to convince you of something that isn't there.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    So regular sex is no different than HD sex?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I definitely think there's a limit. It's all about personal preference and budget. I have a mix of flac and mp3 and no, I don't really notice a difference. I don't have any HD Flac. I use my phone or my computer to play them. I haven't had speakers for a few months and while I've got great Grado earbuds I can't use them right now. So I have been stuck listening to really crappy quality speakers and there's definitely a huge difference. Personally, I just want a reasonable 2 speaker 1 subwoofer set to connect to my computer and a nice pair of not too heavy cans that don't "leak" and I'm not going to pay over $200 for either of those things, and I will be happy.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    TinAnt said:

KV4053 said:

my2hands said:

Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Viva la cd! lol

Then I listened.

Wish you were right so I could keep the money in the bank. However, A/B tests say otherwise.
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    KV4053 said:

TinAnt said:

KV4053 said:

my2hands said:

Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Viva la cd! lol

Then I listened.

Wish you were right so I could keep the money in the bank. However, A/B tests say otherwise.
    I am right, the placebo effect must be quite strong with you.

• Options
    TinAnt said:

KV4053 said:

TinAnt said:

KV4053 said:

my2hands said:

Horse2345 said:

my2hands said:

Viva la cd! lol

Then I listened.

I am right, the placebo effect must be quite strong with you.

Ok
  • Options
    Went with the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro new for $88. Can't wait 'til I get them!
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    good choice

Went with the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro new for $88. Can't wait 'til I get them!

aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    These look interesting. Built in Audiophile Amp, adjustable Tension & Height. Great Reviews as well:
    http://mofiheadphones.com/
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,462
    Holy crap Hank! You could build a recording studio for the price of those cans! Hahaha!
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,462
    I also learned from this video review that I was saying "Denon" wrong.