Options

Audioholics: pimp out all your audio shit

12346»

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    dudeman said:

Hey, southp. How do you like the B&W's? Do you feel like they go low enough without having to rely on a subwoofer?

Yeah, those are really nice Nautilus. Awesome bookshelves! I have an old pair of 201i's in my kitchen. They are 20 years old and still phenomenal.
    I would be interested in hearing if the poster found them too 'bright'? I auditioned a couple sets of towers from them a few years ago and I got fatigue at higher volumes. I really wanted them, but they were tough for me.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982

Dedicated 2 channel would be great... but that's another set of speakers in the same listening area. I do have a zone 2 running speakers on the other side of the room, so kind of the same. They are Def tech's with the subs built in, and that routes to the subs below 80. The Yamaha really brought the best out of those too.

I'm not sure about your model receiver, but on mine I can only route signals from the A/V inputs to the Zone 2 speakers. No digital or HDMI goes to those so it's pretty limiting if you mostly use music streaming or other digital sources.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

dudeman said:

Hey, southp. How do you like the B&W's? Do you feel like they go low enough without having to rely on a subwoofer?

Yeah, those are really nice Nautilus. Awesome bookshelves! I have an old pair of 201i's in my kitchen. They are 20 years old and still phenomenal.
    I would be interested in hearing if the poster found them too 'bright'? I auditioned a couple sets of towers from them a few years ago and I got fatigue at higher volumes. I really wanted them, but they were tough for me.
    I always found B&W's to be on the bright side, much like my Klipsch's. The Klipsch's I have really benefit from the addition of a subwoofer. I'm always curious about other people's opinions and experiences with them, though. Listening spaces vary so much and the same speakers in my house might sound completely different in yours.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Dedicated 2 channel would be great... but that's another set of speakers in the same listening area. I do have a zone 2 running speakers on the other side of the room, so kind of the same. They are Def tech's with the subs built in, and that routes to the subs below 80. The Yamaha really brought the best out of those too.

I'm not sure about your model receiver, but on mine I can only route signals from the A/V inputs to the Zone 2 speakers. No digital or HDMI goes to those so it's pretty limiting if you mostly use music streaming or other digital sources.

I have the rx-1030. And yeah, no digital sources can be limiting Are you streaming music from your PC or do you mean streaming as in Spotify? I know PC/DLNA streaming can be played in zone 2. In fact, I think the whole 'Net' input should be able to be played in zone 2 or at least "party mode" if you have that.
  • Options
    I don't use streaming at all but on my receiver, the Zone 2 speakers can only output sources plugged into the A/V inputs. I have a dedicated CD changer connected to mine so I can play music in my pool yard/lanai.
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    299 photo image_zpsjha8vbim.jpg

Now to find some badass speakers to pair with these tubes!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I don't use streaming at all but on my receiver, the Zone 2 speakers can only output sources plugged into the A/V inputs. I have a dedicated CD changer connected to mine so I can play music in my pool yard/lanai.

Are you talking about your Aventage or your Marantz? For the 1K price of your Yamaha, it should be able to pipe streaming to your zone 2, unless you are saying you haven't even tried.

I have successfully played three sources to my zone 2:
    Directv - orange coaxial output in Party Mode
    Net - DLNA server using JRMedia. All my music is on here.
    A/V - my squeezebox server which is serving all my PC music as well. This is using the analog outputs obviously.

I retired my 300 cd changer several years ago and run everything off my computer. It was a combo of decaying cds (and the era of remaster), HDFLACs, 300 discs wasn't nearly enough and the pause between tracks as the 300 discs shuffled around. Plus playlists were painful. Not trying to get you to change your ways, but your Aventage should open up lots more convenient possibilities with higher depth music to boot vs. CD's.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    My dedicated 2 channel analog set-up:

Pioneer SX-950 & Pioneer CT-F9191 Cassette Deck

Pioneer PL-570 turntable

Pioneer HPM 60 speakers

Grill on

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I wish I knew more about vintage amps and receivers, but that's a nice looking Pioneer. I've always been a fan of their products.
  • Options
    juddboz80 said:

299 photo image_zpsjha8vbim.jpg

Now to find some badass speakers to pair with these tubes!!

Just awesome! Have to try as many speakers as it takes to find that perfect, synergistic balance between all parts of your system. That's all part of the fun, IMO!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

dudeman said:

Are you talking about your Aventage or your Marantz? For the 1K price of your Yamaha, it should be able to pipe streaming to your zone 2, unless you are saying you haven't even tried.

I have successfully played three sources to my zone 2:
    Directv - orange coaxial output in Party Mode
    Net - DLNA server using JRMedia. All my music is on here.
    A/V - my squeezebox server which is serving all my PC music as well. This is using the analog outputs obviously.

I retired my 300 cd changer several years ago and run everything off my computer. It was a combo of decaying cds (and the era of remaster), HDFLACs, 300 discs wasn't nearly enough and the pause between tracks as the 300 discs shuffled around. Plus playlists were painful. Not trying to get you to change your ways, but your Aventage should open up lots more convenient possibilities with higher depth music to boot vs. CD's.
    Speaking of the Yamaha. I have never tried to send anything other than a 6-Disc CD changer to the Zone 2 outputs because it says in the manual that it only outputs signals from the A/V inputs. Mine is a couple years old by now, so the newer models might give you more flexibility.

Really, 99% of my music listening is done through the Marantz, anyway. Music sounds better to me in 2-channels and I just don't think the Yamaha can do 2-channel stereo better that my Marantz does. The Yamaha is strictly used for movies or the rare occasion that I might play music in the pool yard. That only happens a couple times a year.
  • Options

My dedicated 2 channel analog set-up:

Pioneer SX-950 & Pioneer CT-F9191 Cassette Deck

Pioneer PL-570 turntable

Pioneer HPM 60 speakers

Grill on

Very nice! I have a similar Pioneer turntable and it is a fantastic piece of gear. TT's were one of the things Pioneer did best, IMO. I'll bet your stereo has warmth and clarity for days!

Also, we've been to almost all of the same PJ shows.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    ^^^^Thanks! Yes, very warm sounding! Are you a fellow Michigander??
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I'm a former Michigander. Born and raised there but relocated to Florida a few years ago.
  • Options
    OH....
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    IO!!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

IO!!!!

Awesome... You know we have to do that when we see the "M" word.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

derbydave said:

IO!!!!

:plus_one:
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    derbydave said:

mrussel1 said:

derbydave said:

IO!!!!

:unamused:
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    jlaustin said:

derbydave said:

mrussel1 said:

derbydave said:

IO!!!!

Just kidding. We adore Ann Arbor...
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited March 2015
    Do any of you have issues with acrylic platters scratching(the actual platter scratching), and or damaging LPs? Is it that big of a difference over a cork mat?
  • Options
    jlaustin said:

derbydave said:

mrussel1 said:

derbydave said:

IO!!!!

A wise woman once said to me....
    "I HATE it when we FIGHT!!!"
    :rofl:

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    hrd2imgn said:

Do any of you have issues with acrylic platters scratching(the actual platter scratching), and or damaging LPs? Is it that big of a difference over a cork mat?

never had an issue with my platter scratching a record.
    some people just prefer cork for its dampening effects.
    I haven't personally tried it, but there are a ton of cork mat options.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    hrd2imgn said:

I agree with lolobugg. Not necessarily better sound with a cork mat, but different. You may prefer one over the other.

*Be advised that adding height to your platter via an aftermarket mat may cause havoc with the vertical tracking angle of your stylus. Some turntables allow for adjustment of this while others may require you to shim the cartridge on your headshell.*

Good luck!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    dudeman said:

hrd2imgn said:

I agree with lolobugg. Not necessarily better sound with a cork mat, but different. You may prefer one over the other.

*Be advised that adding height to your platter via an aftermarket mat may cause havoc with the vertical tracking angle of your stylus. Some turntables allow for adjustment of this while others may require you to shim the cartridge on your headshell.*

Good luck!
    excellent point about platter height.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore