Options

Now back to Israel as usual

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002

yosi said:

In the past, this board has not reacted well when antisemitism was pointed out. People seem to have convinced themselves that when the topic of discussion is Israel, there is no such thing as antisemitism. I've often tried to discuss the slippage from fair criticism of Israel to antisemitism that can often occur when people get carried away on this board. Almost invariably I'm told that I'm "crying antisemitism" in bad faith to stifle debate. So I've mostly stopped trying, because why waste my breath (so to speak) on people who are either bigots or who categorically refuse to engage in even the slightest self-critical examination.

lets be crystal clear. i am not anti judaism, or anti jewish people. just as you are not anti islam or anti muslim. i am against likud politics and platform. i am against land theft and settlement expansion. i am against subjugation of palestinians. i am against the policies of the israeli government and the hardliners that support it.
    Am I missing something? I didn't see yosi mention any names in his post at all.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

yosi said:

In the past, this board has not reacted well when antisemitism was pointed out. People seem to have convinced themselves that when the topic of discussion is Israel, there is no such thing as antisemitism. I've often tried to discuss the slippage from fair criticism of Israel to antisemitism that can often occur when people get carried away on this board. Almost invariably I'm told that I'm "crying antisemitism" in bad faith to stifle debate. So I've mostly stopped trying, because why waste my breath (so to speak) on people who are either bigots or who categorically refuse to engage in even the slightest self-critical examination.

lets be crystal clear. i am not anti judaism, or anti jewish people. just as you are not anti islam or anti muslim. i am against likud politics and platform. i am against land theft and settlement expansion. i am against subjugation of palestinians. i am against the policies of the israeli government and the hardliners that support it.
    There is NO FUCKEN WAY GIMMIE is an anti-semite. Absolutely NOT.
    Rumour has it Rod is a Anti-Dentite though :)))
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

yosi said:

I heard that rumor as well! :))
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,271
    rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

yosi said:

yeah those people need to have their own schools...

;)
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

yosi said:

And who can blame him?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

yosi said:

And who can blame him?
    I think we're all anti-dentite or however you spell it. >:)
  • Options
    you all are always an anti-dentite, until you need a dentist.... just like lawyers....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    As if dealing with Israel isn't enough, now their flooded...ask a Jew and they will tell you it's God's plan yet they don't believe in God.
  • Options
    fwiw...i grew up studying practicing Judaism, my uncle's a rabbi in nyc. My father's eyes were opened up when he served in the navy during the Cuban misled crises as he calls it. Jewish holidays were interesting to say the least when the elders would burn and compare notes and trade philosophies. So I've been there heard it all. Ultimately i rejected it when started to see the world and realized i was free to decide for myself. Yes i still have many relatives (can't choose family) that won't budge. I'm not invited to ny when they come visit and I'm never invited to visit the holy land. Someday.
    We're all better off when we're better off.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

fwiw...i grew up studying practicing Judaism, my uncle's a rabbi in nyc. My father's eyes were opened up when he served in the navy during the Cuban misled crises as he calls it. Jewish holidays were interesting to say the least when the elders would burn and compare notes and trade philosophies. So I've been there heard it all. Ultimately i rejected it when started to see the world and realized i was free to decide for myself. Yes i still have many relatives (can't choose family) that won't budge. I'm not invited to ny when they come visit and I'm never invited to visit the holy land. Someday.

Well, thanks for your honesty and shedding some important light into who you are. This whole time I just knew u as JC. That's pretty wild bro. And I can relate to sort of seeing my religion in a different way as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

JC29856 said:

Well, thanks for your honesty and shedding some important light into who you are. This whole time I just knew u as JC. That's pretty wild bro. And I can relate to sort of seeing my religion in a different way as well.
    JC, thanks for sharing this about yourself - it's interesting to see how we can become un-indoctrinated just by recognizing the presence of free will (something which, ironically, Judaism states is a good thing, while Jews condemn other Jews for possessing what they call "anti-Israeli" sentiments).

That being said, I disagree with Nart on the importance of this. We should be basing opinions on the content of the opinion always, and never where it comes from.

Also, for what it's worth, I used to be known as the "Seder Nazi" come Passover time, for how into the religion I used to be. Fast forward fifteen years or so, and when I had a discussion about things wrong with Israel with my mom, that led to discussion about heavy-handed retaliation, which led to me stating my opposition to American intervention, which led to my mom telling me I should just fast forward a few years and join ISIS already. How times change, and how real education facilitates that. Wild.
    Post edited by benjs on

EV
  • Options
    I don't use the word hate but just for reference for those that question my perspective...you can only hate as deep as you once loved. It's nearly impossible to hate someone/something you never once loved,
    I don't hate, it's too consuming but for those that may not understand or question my perspective it's the best i can offer.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    benjs said:

badbrains said:

JC29856 said:

JC, thanks for sharing this about yourself - it's interesting to see how we can become un-indoctrinated just by recognizing the presence of free will (something which, ironically, Judaism states is a good thing, while Jews condemn other Jews for possessing what they call "anti-Israeli" sentiments).

That being said, I disagree with Nart on the importance of this. We should be basing opinions on the content of the opinion always, and never where it comes from.

Also, for what it's worth, I used to be known as the "Seder Nazi" come Passover time, for how into the religion I used to be. Fast forward fifteen years or so, and when I had a discussion about things wrong with Israel with my mom, that led to discussion about heavy-handed retaliation, which led to me stating my opposition to American intervention, which led to my mom telling me I should just fast forward a few years and join ISIS already. How times change, and how real education facilitates that. Wild.
    Well, i do think it's important because I'm sure there was some people who prob thought he was either a Muslim who's anti-Israel or maybe byrnzie under a diff name(lol). That's just my opinion. No biggie.

Edit-and it sheds some light as to why he feels hi way towards Israel.
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

benjs said:

badbrains said:

JC29856 said:

Well, i do think it's important because I'm sure there was some people who prob thought he was either a Muslim who's anti-Israel or maybe byrnzie under a diff name(lol). That's just my opinion. No biggie.

To be honest, neither crossed my mind, so that's why I said I didn't find it significant. You're right though, Nart, given that some may have thought that about JC, that does change things.

And I hope you know I try to go stream of consciousness here, say how I feel, and not sugar coat it. At the end of the day, I'm uber glad you're active here, and the learning I've done because of, and I think with you, are perfect examples for why this place excels for learning: take two people whose paths would typically not cross, and point them both in the same direction. The results are wicked. So is this combustible.
    Post edited by benjs on

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

badbrains said:

benjs said:

badbrains said:

JC29856 said:

To be honest, neither crossed my mind, so that's why I said I didn't find it significant. You're right though, Nart, given that some may have thought that about JC, that does change things.

And I hope you know I try to go stream of consciousness here, say how I feel, and not sugar coat it. At the end of the day, I'm uber glad you're active here, and the learning I've done because of, and I think with you, are perfect examples for why this place excels for learning: take two people whose paths would typically not cross, and point them both in the same direction. The results are wicked. So is this weed.
    Amen, amen and amen my brother!
  • Options
    benjs said:

badbrains said:

benjs said:

badbrains said:

JC29856 said:

And I hope you know I try to go stream of consciousness here, say how I feel, and not sugar coat it. At the end of the day, I'm uber glad you're active here, and the learning I've done because of, and I think with you, are perfect examples for why this place excels for learning: take two people whose paths would typically not cross, and point them both in the same direction. The results are wicked. So is this combustible.
    Wow that's powerful stuff! Permission to use "directions combustible"?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

benjs said:

badbrains said:

benjs said:

badbrains said:

JC29856 said:

Wow that's powerful stuff! Permission to use "directions combustible"?
    By all means :D

EV
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/israel-s-benjamin-netanyahu-fires-2-ministers-likely-to-seek-election-1.2857502

Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu fires 2 ministers, likely to seek election
    PM had said he'd go to the polls unless rebellious ministers stopped attacking government policies
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/israel-s-benjamin-netanyahu-fires-2-ministers-likely-to-seek-election-1.2857502

PM had said he'd go to the polls unless rebellious ministers stopped attacking government policies

This, to me, is one of the most disturbing piece of news I've read about Israel in as long as I can remember. Guess what? When you have due democratic process in forming your government, but the highest-ranking member has the right to fire anyone who opposes his or her proposals or actions, leaving exclusively one voice: it's not a democracy - it borders on dictatorship. Internal government dissent represents a democracy's checks and balances.
    Post edited by benjs on

EV
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Boys I see we are still keeping it real in this thread.BB,I never thought about the JC= Byrnzie thing but now that you mention it..............hmmmmm.Nah,I never heard Byrnzie go on A week long hilarious rambling Diatribe about Being in a tree,drunk w a mad elf and I believe masturbating repeatedly while yelling at cops about Jay walking.(did I summarize last week correctly JC?)lol
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    rr165892 said:

Boys I see we are still keeping it real in this thread.BB,I never thought about the JC= Byrnzie thing but now that you mention it..............hmmmmm.Nah,I never heard Byrnzie go on A week long hilarious rambling Diatribe about Being in a tree,drunk w a mad elf and I believe masturbating repeatedly while yelling at cops about Jay walking.(did I summarize last week correctly JC?)lol

;)) no never heard but when he vacations at his children's home you probably here him say what a strange something phenomenal happened, he got drunk in a tree and masturbating while yelling at the cops about jay walking
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Hilarious...
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious...
    I try to pay attention
  • Options
    i talked to byrnzie last week. he is not jc haha...

• Options
    benjs said:

dignin said:

This, to me, is one of the most disturbing piece of news I've read about Israel in as long as I can remember. Guess what? When you have due democratic process in forming your government, but the highest-ranking member has the right to fire anyone who opposes his or her proposals or actions, leaving exclusively one voice: it's not a democracy - it borders on dictatorship. Internal government dissent represents a democracy's checks and balances.
    yes this is bad news. especially for arab israelis.

this would be like obama firing 2 secretaries in his cabinet just because they are critical of his policies. that is essentially what happened here. ole bibi will no longer tolerate criticism from powerful people within the government. this is telling, and it speaks to his true character.

• Options

benjs said:

dignin said:

yes this is bad news. especially for arab israelis.

this would be like obama firing 2 secretaries in his cabinet just because they are critical of his policies. that is essentially what happened here. ole bibi will no longer tolerate criticism from powerful people within the government. this is telling, and it speaks to his true character.
    Not that anyone with any semblance of impartial analytical abilities couldn't see his true character from a mile away.

In any case, the early election Netanyahu has proposed leaves me partially worried and partially excited. If he wins, given his transparent agenda, it will be all too clear that Israel and Israelis are truly and irredeemably in favour of maintaining the status quo of Jewish superiority (and more importantly, 'everyone else' inferiority). If he loses, it could suggest that maybe significant change in the mentality of Israelis is possible. I'm hoping we see the latter, as it's hard to think of Netanyahu as possessing anything but a heart of stone.

EV
  • Options

i talked to byrnzie last week. he is not jc haha...

Agreed, last time checked he didn't have a rabbi for an uncle.
  • Options
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIPsGnMqQw&feature=youtu.be

Just another day in paradise for Palestinian children
This discussion has been closed.