Options

Time to start limiting sticker purchases

Comments

• Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    edited October 2014

and thats fucked up, and alot different than grabbing some stickers for a couple heads....

Not really, in the end a fan will get them both from a secondary market and the original buyer gets something they want, money, trade, friendships, tour cred etc. At least on a market like ebay people who were actually at that show have another chance to get one.Both parties are providing a way for someone to get something and get something in return, it is just a lot easier to hate people who do it on ebay. I'm not going to shit on anyone for doing either because do whatever you want but don't pretend you are so much more nobler then someone doing the same thing but just for something they want.

I really wonder how many they print, I was like 30 people back and it looked like they sold 100s of them by the time I got up front.

Post edited by apirk72 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

hsohi said:

It is not in the interest of PJ or the merch people to limit sales.

Sold is sold and money is money.

you and edsonnascimento understand something that many others don't get
    We aren't talking about limiting the merch sold. The stickers will be sold out, it is just a matter of how many actually going to the show have access to them.

Merchandise shouldn't be available only for the traveling fans who take their days off. The guy that has to work on a Friday in St. Louis should have a decent shot (no guarantees) at getting merchandise at the St. Louis show if they line up outside the venue door at 5:30pm for a 6:30pm opening versus someone like me taking a week off and having nothing better to do with my time than sit in a line to buy 100 stickers. For St. Louis, the stickers were already gone even before the doors opened. I think that is complete bullshit. At this point the fun for me is getting sucked down the drain because you now have to waste a day to get stickers.

I think it is an easy call to limit the sticker sales to 10 at one time. Then get your ass back to the end of the line. If you are in GA and want merch, get your ass in the merch line and not pay a surrogate.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

hsohi said:

We aren't talking about limiting the merch sold. The stickers will be sold out, it is just a matter of how many actually going to the show have access to them.

Merchandise shouldn't be available only for the traveling fans who take their days off. The guy that has to work on a Friday in St. Louis should have a decent shot (no guarantees) at getting merchandise at the St. Louis show if they line up outside the venue door at 5:30pm for a 6:30pm opening versus someone like me taking a week off and having nothing better to do with my time than sit in a line to buy 100 stickers. For St. Louis, the stickers were already gone even before the doors opened. I think that is complete bullshit. At this point the fun for me is getting sucked down the drain because you now have to waste a day to get stickers.

I think it is an easy call to limit the sticker sales to 10 at one time. Then get your ass back to the end of the line. If you are in GA and want merch, get your ass in the merch line and not pay a surrogate.
    I hear you, im not disagreeing... but Edson and hsohi hit the nail on the head. the band wants the high demand. they have no interest in passing out stickers with tickets, I don't believe....and they don't care who buys them.
    they could pass them out at the door, and everyone can stick it on their forehead and we can sing kumbaya because everyone got their sticker.
  • Options
    one last thing and im done with this bullshit- to those who judge--- which is more ridiculous, collecting stickers as an adult, or crying over stickers as an adult?? no need to answer, its pretty obvious.
  • Options
    Merch booth at ACL pop up has NO ONE THERE after an hour. Plenty of stickers and pins and shirts and posters. How the hell does the other places sell out?

Crazy man.

Oh BTW we need help with the OYR fundraiser. Lend a hand please. Actually we need a sticker and pin or two.
  • Options
    dfishbergdfishberg Posts: 403

hsohi said:

Could not agree with this more. Limiting to 10 allow people to purchase for trading and to get some for their friends. The system is broke when stickers are sold out 3 hours before show time. I just don't see how someone orders 50-100 stickers when they see that there is a big line behind them of fellow fans waiting to purchase. Get your 10 and go back on line if you want more. The surrogate thing is also complete BS. Also, if they are not sold out when the show starts, get as many as you like. And while I am all for trading, a lot of people need to trade because people have bought up all the stickers before they have had a chance to buy for shows that they attended.

When collecting stickers goes from a hobby and a piece of the total fan experience, to a money making venture, there is something definitely wrong. People who do that are breaking the one and only rule of PJ!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    deadendp said:

MayDay10 said:

How many people are financing tours doing shit like this? 50 stickers on ebay at an easy 10 to 12 dollars a pop. Nothing to ship.

I can't remember if it is on this thread or another, but one guy commented that he offset part of his travel expenses from Europe by reselling merch on eBay. :shakes of the head:
    I suspect that many of the people who go to a lot of shows do that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    SS9981 said:

If I want to stand outside for 1 to 2 hours waiting in line for the merch truck to open. Patiently wait my turn to be waited on by the people selling said merch, then who are any of you to try whining, complaining & attempting to force some kind of rule change. Here's a little fact for all the sticker-nazi's out there, if you don't like it, quit sleeping 'til noon, having a a few drinks with your "bro's", sitting in your hotel rooms smoking a joint & then get there half an hour before the show just to be outraged that you were too "busy" or lazy to get off your ass & get what you wanted. I have purchased multiple stickers on multiple occasion's, only to turn around and trade them to someone who wanted it or missed out on it. And yes have given them away many times to try & help people in this "community". i love collecting stickers! I have made many friends doing so. But to watch the "entitled" jump off their high horses, get on their soapbox and try to change merch sales policy, that's pretty heavy handed even for them. We traded Wrigley cards too. Nobody was up in arms about that. Several of us got complete sets just helping each other out instead of paying flipper's prices. Same with the stickers or posters or vinyl etc. Yes there will alway's be bad apples in every bunch, whether they are buying item's to flip or trying to get their way by belittling people who enjoy something they don't even understand and trying to change the rules that won't affect them anyway. One last thought, at the end of the day when the totals from the merch trucks are added into the bands revenue, do you think they care if I but 2 or 200?

Better yet, limit how many people can buy so more people at the show can get one. :) People shouldn't be forced to miss out on concert merch or forced to spend their whole.day standing around in a line just because there is a relatively small number of people who are getting in line early to hoard stickers. I think it's hilarious that you are accusing others of being lazy. Your obsessive behaviour shouldn't be held up as the golden standard, lol. This is why people are asking for buying limits on merch.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

hsohi said:

I hear you, im not disagreeing... but Edson and hsohi hit the nail on the head. the band wants the high demand. they have no interest in passing out stickers with tickets, I don't believe....and they don't care who buys them.
    they could pass them out at the door, and everyone can stick it on their forehead and we can sing kumbaya because everyone got their sticker.
    Actually, it is 10C's job to consider how to make as many fans happy as possible. 10c does give a shit about who buys what - they limit members only merch to 1 all the time, they have finally posted GA line up rules so that the fans get a fair deal, they created the lottery with the intent of getting as many fans as possible to at least one show... It is completely reasonable for club members to ask 10c to limit merch sales at the shows, since the purpose of 10c is to try and make as many of its members as happy happy as possible. This is very much in the realm of what 10c should be looking at and improving.
  • Options
    who said anything about GA lines and lottery? im all for whatever they decide to do. i see where a fair limit makes sense. i just think you shouldnt hold your breath waiting for a change. EdsonNascimento and hsohi know the deal.
  • Options
    refer to Edson and understand the bottom line
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    PJ_Soul Said:

Better yet, limit how many people can buy so more people at the show can get one. :) People shouldn't be forced to miss out on concert merch or forced to spend their whole.day standing around in a line just because there is a relatively small number of people who are getting in line early to hoard stickers. I think it's hilarious that you are accusing others of being lazy. Your obsessive behaviour shouldn't be held up as the golden standard, lol. This is why people are asking for buying limits on merch.

And who are you exactly? You might want to pull your nose out of the air long enough to understand who you are talking to. Hoarding stickers am I? I've helped more people on these boards than someone of your ilk ever will. Because I don't just help people to better my board standing, I do it just because they are my friends. Hell, I helped Doug Floyd & some gentleman I had never met, before that turd of a comment even came rolling on the screen. And what have you done today PJ? I mean besides demean a whole facet of people who have done nothing to you on a subject you don't know squat about. Oh wait you did set the "gold standard" for being a pompous ass. bully for you!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    IBTL
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Let's ratchet it down a bit. I don't think anyone is against collecting, being able to be a small quantity to trade, etc. What is the right number? Nobody knows. Just be considerate of your fellow fan and don't do something just because you can and someone else is.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Ebay is definitely not reflecting the sheer number of stickers people were supposedly buying...there really isn't much up there right now.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096

hsohi said:

Well said.

No one is confused about the economics of supply and demand, nor are most people against personally collecting whatever your particular PJ souvenir is. It's about being greedy, for whatever reason, and causing other fans - part of the community - who cannot be at the merch booth at the time it opens or choose not to go to the concert 5 hours early, to be screwed. People line up crazy early for GA and now for merch and in both cases some people are greedy - either having their spots held for them or buying more merch than they personally need.

This has nothing to do with collecting stuff - buying inordinate amounts of an item at each venue causes other fans to go without and other traders to lose the ability to complete collections because a few are in position of most of the item.

For those who believe that they should be able to buy whatever amount they want, for whatever reason - it doesn't matter how altruistic one tries to make it sound. If you were on line and you were behind someone who cleaned out your particular souvenir of choice, leaving you without any of that item for that venue, would you still believe that this is a good practice?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    For the record, I am confused about the economics of supply and demand. :-P
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Which probably means a majority of people bought stickers to trade or to help out people who were gonna get shut out anyway. That's exactly where all of mine will go, to trades that i have set-up with other members. And the rest to try & help out who I can. After shipping, depending on the size of the package, I'm usually out money.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    Would the idea of having an option to add one sticker to your ticket order work?
  • Options
    PJ merch - supply = limited -- demand = insane!!!! Ha!

Lets try to be respectful of each other. I have seen, and been privy to, plenty of very generous things fans have done for each other, particularly in the sticker area. I just believe that up to 10 stickers at a time, especially when the lines are crazy long, should be sufficient. One can always try to get more inside, or during the show if the stickers don't sell out. Would love it if 10 Club would print more, but until that happens, it is a little silly that stickers are selling out 3 hours before the show even begins -- I can only imagine how much worse it is going to get for weekend shows.
  • Options
    Just got this tweet from Pearl Jam:

"REMINDER"
    The PJ pop up shop @ Mellow Johnnys is open all afternoon!

They have plenty of stuff, how come all these other places run out?
  • Options
    so it's not worth it to you to go 3 hrs. early & get what you want, but it is worth it to you to sit behind your computer & complain because some people do. Geniuses!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    They could only sell the show specific stuff inside and the rest outside. It wasn't always like this, that you had to move heaven and hell to get merch from a show you attended. This has gotten out of hand somehow. I don't know when it started, my impression is Wrigley Field. It sucks when you are on your way to a show, traveling, and you see info trickling in on here or on facebook how stuff is getting sold out even before you make it there. And then the next day you see all kinds of people who haven't even been to the show having merch from that show whereas you didn't get any.
  • Options
    My buddy did go to both Cincy and St. Louis more than 3 hours early, and stickers were sold out before he got to the front. And he saw people buying over 50 stickers and taking orders for the GA line. Kind of a bummer -- particularly in SLU where it was cold and raining
  • Options
    You are correct Leeze. My wife & i didn't get the Ames Ape or Shuss Crackerjack. But we didn't go on the boards demanding that there should be strict limits on amount of posters someone could buy, we sucked it up & traded for them. Oh wait, they did put a limit on how many posters you could buy. Watched a guy walk away with 5 last night.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452

Ebay is definitely not reflecting the sheer number of stickers people were supposedly buying...there really isn't much up there right now.

Some of those ebay auctions are buy it now for one sticker but if you look at the fine print it says "more than 10 available" which means they're using the same listing to sell dozens of stickers.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dfishberg said:

My buddy did go to both Cincy and St. Louis more than 3 hours early, and stickers were sold out before he got to the front. And he saw people buying over 50 stickers and taking orders for the GA line. Kind of a bummer -- particularly in SLU where it was cold and raining

The truck opened at 2:00 p.m. We got in line at noon. Half-hour later, merch in vehicle, getting lunch
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    All I wanted was a show specific t shirt tonight. I was about to get one and then the guy in front of me bought ten. So if anybody has a spare xl St. Louis t shirt please let me know. Thanks.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777

community.pearljam.com/discussion/236049/10c-a-request-regarding-sticker-and-pin-badge-buttons-for-fall-tour#latest

GivenToLukinKP started this thread a few months ago, but there wasn't enough support, please show your support now so this doesn't keep happening at future shows.

Lots of valid points have been made, but this is getting crazy, we are all here because we love Pearl Jam and lots of us love to collect. We need to work together please show your support and bump or agreee GivenToLukinKP thread (see above) from a few months ago for 10club to print more stickers and pins. If there are lots available then everyone can get as many as they want and use them for trading, if they are around in abundance it will stop ebay sellers buying and selling at crazy prices.
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

dfishberg said:

The truck opened at 2:00 p.m. We got in line at noon. Half-hour later, merch in vehicle, getting lunch
    My buddy showed up before 2, he texted me stickers were sold out by 2:40 (at least he got a poster and a pin). I don't think that it is that controversial to say that there may be a problem when stickers sell out hours before the show and some people are taking 50 or more while other are getting zero.

If Ten Club is cool with that situation, so be it.