Options

Time to start limiting sticker purchases

Comments

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    I think a lot of booze was drank last night..... :))
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

I think it would be appropriate to have Ed address the next crowd and talk about sticker etiquette. He could do it right after the time when he speaks about how fortunate the band has been over the years and segue into how unfortunate some fans are given they never got stickers.

I bet sticker hoarders would feel badly and offer one of their stickers to a fan standing next to them. Sure... there'd always be one or two that don't get the message, but the effort would be well worth it considering how many frowns Eddie could turn upside down.

Yes, this.
    But then Ed might have to write some anti-sticker letter to fans explaining his point.
    Then add in a line to JL's song "Imagine"... Imagine if there were no stickers....
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    WhoDeyFanWhoDeyFan Columbus, Ohio Posts: 25
    I went to Johnnies Bike Shop yesterday in Austin for the PJ ACL pop-up shop - was 5th in line and the first two people bough FIFTY stickers of each design (2.) This absolutely needs to be limited.

----------------------------
    May 6, 2010 - Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
    May 9, 2010 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, OH
    July 19, 2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    October 12, 2013 - First Niagara Center, Buffalo, NY
    October 1, 2014 - US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
    October 5, 2014 - Austin City Limits Music Festival, Austin, TX
    October 16, 2014 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, MI
    April 26, 2016 - Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
    June 11, 2016 - Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN
    August 20, 2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    August 22, 2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    August 8, 2018 - Safeco Field,  Seattle, WA
    August 10, 2018 - Safeco Field, Seattle WA
    August 20, 2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    September 2, 2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA
    September 4, 2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    edited October 2014
    There is many perspectives to a situation. Speaking for myself, I have no desire to buy a ridiculous, set number of stickers ever. At one point I thought I was buying 1 sticker at every show I saw, assuming they were available. I get a few messages from some people in a couple pools I entered, asking if possible to grab a couple stickers to a particular show. I tell them all, sure I don't know if theres a limit but i'll do my best. Turns out weeks later one of those fine people is able to reciprocate the favor, I cant make it to Rock City early enough to line up, and they will be. theyre able to get my goods. just a poster and a sticker. fuck it throw a pin in there... is this wrong so far? Isnt this what a touring band is? I certainly see the side of, these people aren't going, etc,.... but that's not for me to judge. And I wouldn't be happy at all to see 50 and 100 stickers going in front of me while I miss out. I get it. This isn't the case here. In fact, ACL is the show, and from the sounds of it I will be walking up to tents with no line all weekend.... in this case, is it wrong to walk up to a open tent and ask for 23 stickers? If I am in a line, how many is fair? Can I get 11, wait and get 12? 10-10-3? Or do I say, sorry folks I can't help you out, this just doesn't seem fair?? The latter seems ridiculous to me. Then it turns to belittling and brow beating people, in true pre-teen social media fashion. That too seems ridiculous. So I, having had a few and come home to see this a few days back, regretfully tell those people to fuck off. But to have myself lumped in with hoarding, greed, flipping, etc... pissed me off. I wish I was a Sticker Oak, that you all could pluck them off....

you don't have to play,
    you can follow, or lead the way
    join together with the band

Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    edited October 2014
    But they waited in a line for a whole whopping hour? They should have been able to buy the stand if they wanted to.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    WhoDeyFan said:

I went to Johnnies Bike Shop yesterday in Austin for the PJ ACL pop-up shop - was 5th in line and the first two people bough FIFTY stickers of each design (2.) This absolutely needs to be limited.

that is brutal. Did you get the stickers?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

But they waited in a line for a whole whopping hour? They should have been able to buy the stand if they wanted to.

for sure. people were saying it was a ghost town Thursday, Friday.... this was meant for the other comment about fans coming in... my bad
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • Options
    WhoDeyFanWhoDeyFan Columbus, Ohio Posts: 25
    Yes, bought two of each design. One for me and one for a friend of mine that just had a baby and couldn't be here.

----------------------------
    May 6, 2010 - Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
    May 9, 2010 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, OH
    July 19, 2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    October 12, 2013 - First Niagara Center, Buffalo, NY
    October 1, 2014 - US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
    October 5, 2014 - Austin City Limits Music Festival, Austin, TX
    October 16, 2014 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, MI
    April 26, 2016 - Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
    June 11, 2016 - Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN
    August 20, 2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    August 22, 2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    August 8, 2018 - Safeco Field,  Seattle, WA
    August 10, 2018 - Safeco Field, Seattle WA
    August 20, 2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    September 2, 2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA
    September 4, 2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA

• Options
    that's the important thing, glad they didn't wipe you out.
  • Options

for sure. people were saying it was a ghost town Thursday, Friday.... this was meant for the other comment about fans coming in... my bad
    Yeah, I edited it. But yes, I think yesterday and today the sticker crowds would have arrived since the PJ show is today.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'm a HUGE PJ Merch nerd & so are a few of my dear friends. ;)
    I have no problem with having a reasonable limit placed on how many items a single purchaser could make at the merch booth.
    I'll admit to being involved in what some here would consider a childish hobby.
    I also admit to trying to help out a few of my "collector" friends get a desired poster or complete their sets of "TOUR" stickers, by working out trades before the tour even gets underway!!
    The one thing that has me scratching my head is trying to figure out why some of these items are produced in such a limited quantity.
    When you're standing in the merch line & hear that they are already sold out of the stickers 15 minutes after the merch booth opens, something is not right!!
    The St. Louis merch line was probably the most frustrating experience I've had.
    We arrived at the venue around 1pm & got in line at 1:20...we were surprised that the trailer wasn't even open yet.
    The line wasn't nearly as long as what we had experienced in Cincinnati a few days before, and we arrived at the venue & got in line about the same time there.
    We got everything we wanted in Cincy, so I was confident we were in good shape to score the "interesting" Popeye poster & a few stickers & buttons.
    The merch trailer opened around 1:45 and by 2pm, we were hearing that they had already "SOLD OUT" of stickers...20 minutes later they were "SOLD OUT" of the poster.
    I witnessed them "SELL OUT" of posters 3 different times during the 3 hours we stood in the line...only to be restocked later & we heard stickers were all gone several times.
    It took us over 3 hours to get thru a merch line that was no where near as long as the one we did in under an hour in Cincinnati.
    I didn't personally witness anyone buying a large quantity of stickers, but here's what REALLY bothered me...they would "SELL OUT" of an item...so if you just happened to hit the counter then, you were out of luck!
    Then 15 minutes later, someone would come along with a new supply of T-shirts, posters or stickers & restock these items.
    I got pretty lucky & was able to get most of the items I wanted for me & my friends.
    I bought 1 poster, 10 stickers & 5 buttons...the only thing I wasn't able to get was the show specific T-shirts for me & my ticket buddy (who was holding our place in the GA line) because they didn't have our size available.
    Not two minutes after I completed my transaction and stepped away from the counter,
    the arena staff walked out with a fresh supply of T-shirts.
    It just kind of bugs me that where you end up in the merch line & the time you hit the counter has turned into another kind of "LOTTERY"...because they obviously still had more of these available, just not ready to be sold and that has got to be disappointing for those who were unable to get a sticker or a poster during these fake SOLD OUT periods.
    Sorry for being so "wordy" but this whole merch situation is pretty frustrating & I REALLY do hope that the staff at 10 Club is paying attention to what is going on & will address this issue in the same way they have to solve some of the problems we've had in the past!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729

Was this comment sarcastic or is that how you really feel? Not trying to be an ass, just hard to tell when posted on the board.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    i hear ya derby D... been there before, and im sure it will happen again. you wonder at the time why they don't see the item is getting low, and have the reload waiting on deck?? I plan on winning the poster setlist pool, ( BIG UPS to the organizer, great idea...) and when I do Double D, I got you a minty fresh St. Louis Popeye, on me buddy... if I was there im sure I already would have succumbed to after market prices if I missed out, I like that poster a lot.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

i hear ya derby D... been there before, and im sure it will happen again. you wonder at the time why they don't see the item is getting low, and have the reload waiting on deck?? I plan on winning the poster setlist pool, ( BIG UPS to the organizer, great idea...) and when I do Double D, I got you a minty fresh St. Louis Popeye, on me buddy... if I was there im sure I already would have succumbed to after market prices if I missed out, I like that poster a lot.

Thanks buddy,
    Despite all the "sold out" periods...
    I was able to score the Popeye poster at the merch trailer in St. Louis!!!
    Best of luck to you in the poster setlist pool dude...
    and feel free to give the poster you're offering to me,
    to someone who missed out on it at the venue!!
    It's people like YOU that make this community such a FUN place to hang out :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I completely agree that sticker purchases should be limited. The guy before me at early merch at Brooklyn 1 last year bought 50 stickers. I got in line early in Cincinnati when there wasn't a big line so when merch went on sale it was no problem getting what I wanted to buy. Flippers have become a major issue with stickers. I still need Gdynia and Werchter to complete my Euro 2014 sticker set but am unwilling to pay high eBay prices to do it. If they produced more stickers and limited purchases to 10 per person that would go a long way toward solving the problem. If there are any left after early merch they could sell them inside the venue.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    I'm hoping that St. Louis is an anomaly. As Dave described Cincy went very smoothly. As we got closer to the front, we saw runners going to get items as they ran out. I wanted a tote bag, they were out at the stand, but I paid for it, stepped to the side and waited as someone went inside to get more. Not sure why that didn't happen in St. Louis or be standard operating procedure for all venues.

As far as limiting stickers, it makes me sad that it has come to this. I, too, collect stickers and have enjoyed meeting people through trades. That's what really makes me enjoy this place. So I am guilty of buying multiple stickers to trade with people going to different shows. I like being able to help others out, along with getting stickers from other places. If more stickers were made everyone could get one that wanted them and the inflated prices seen on eBay would go away. In the unlikely case there are leftovers, future mystery box items or just sell them in the shop. Seems like a no brainer.

:)>-
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    edited October 2014
    I think people here are not complaining about others getting multiple stickers for trades in general. It is more about the people who go and buy more than 10, more than 20, more than 50. This is something that in my opinion goes beyond trading. Well, and if you don't have enough other stickers to complete trades, think of something else. I traded a Mad Season single that we had twice for Wrigley stickers. No big deal and both sides were happy.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

Was this comment sarcastic or is that how you really feel? Not trying to be an ass, just hard to tell when posted on the board.
    I was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136

I think people here are not complaining about others getting multiple stickers for trades in general. It is more about the people who go and buy more than 10, more than 20, more than 50. This is something that in my opinion goes beyond trading. Well, and if you don't have enough other stickers to complete trades, think of something else. I traded a Mad Season single that we had twice for Wrigley stickers. No big deal and both sides were happy.

total # of stops on that leg of the tour = total amount of sticker plus a FEW extra for yourself. That way you have enough to trade and enough to collect. Everyone who wants a sticker can then have some and everyone who wants to trade has enough to do so. If you want to make a bulk purchase then after the show or during, buy all remaining leftover. Fair? Commence bashing me in 3…..2…..1……go!! (not directed at you Leezestarr313)
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Yeah, that makes sense. No offense taken ;)
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    can't imagine selling stickers at jacked up prices...all mine (8) are for trades/myself & a few random just becauses'.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    TerryGTerryG La Crosse, WI Posts: 366

Yeah, buy the whole stand, move it 5 feet and start flipping all the merchandise with the appropriate 500% ebay markup

>:)
    Do yourself a favor and be you online. Anonymity plus audience often equals asshole.
    Try not to be one. Make mom proud.
    Dan Johns
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2014
    TerryG said:

Yeah, buy the whole stand, move it 5 feet and start flipping all the merchandise with the appropriate 500% ebay markup

Now that would be a sight to see =))

I would totally do this just to see what would happen.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I wish every item had a 1 per customer limit.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    I don't get it. If an item sells out, why not sell that item here on the PJ Ten Club store at a reasonable price? That way people who missed out could get the item reasonably priced and instead of the ridiculously jacked up prices on eBay.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ambrasjesambrasjes Posts: 124

I wish I was a Sticker Oak, that you all could pluck them off....

Antwerp/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Camden2/NewYork2/EVChicago1&2/Chicago1&2/
    Werchter/A'dam1/Werchter/EVA'dam2/EVLondon1/Portland/Spokane/Calgary/Vancouver/
    Seattle

Longtime ghost
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

TerryG said:

Now that would be a sight to see =))

I would totally do this just to see what would happen.
    I would love to watch that.

I think Paul-jam is on to something. 12 shows on the tour = 15 ticket limit. I think the issue is enforcement. Venue employees would have to be briefed on the nuances of pearl jam merch subculture and frankly I don't think they give two shits.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    ambrasjes said:

I wish I was a Sticker Oak, that you all could pluck them off....

I can't wait to hear that wish in Wishlist!
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,011
    brianlux said:

I don't get it. If an item sells out, why not sell that item here on the PJ Ten Club store at a reasonable price? That way people who missed out could get the item reasonably priced and instead of the ridiculously jacked up prices on eBay.

I'm going to guess that if they did that, half the people (or more) would lose interest and not buy it. The one of a kind rarity, collector factor seems to be what many people are chasing.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2014
    Sarava said:

brianlux said:

I'm going to guess that if they did that, half the people (or more) would lose interest and not buy it. The one of a kind rarity, collector factor seems to be what many people are chasing.
    How can a sticker get elevated to a one of a kind rarity? (not saying you are doing that)
    If every fan in attendance at any show was given an option to buy a sticker I don't see how if you were not in attendance the sticker from that show other than the artwork/design would make said sticker rare.
    I still think that an option to buy a sticker should be given to you when you make your original ticket purchase.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on