Yield

Comments

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Given to Fly (12, 14, 19)
    Do the Evolution (12, 14, 15, 18, 19)
    Wishlist (12, 14, 15)
    Brain of J (12, 15, 18)

It seems the fate of the live versions of YIELD songs were sealed back in '97/'98.

They had their pet songs and have (for the most part) stayed pretty close to those 3 tracks for the better part of 10 years.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    Yeah, I think the performances of Brain of J and MFC before 1997 are proof that songs evolve and bands test them in a live setting. That seems pretty straightforward (and in line with YIELD theories elsewhere in the thread).

My observation is aimed more directly at the act of Pearl Jam accepting an opening slot for the Stones. For four nights. At that point in their careers. I guess I was alluding to a carry-over or collective YIELD experience among the bandmembers, having recorded or having been in-process with the record at the time.

Listening to the bootlegs might provide some evidence to support or refute the band member's headspace at the time, especially Ed. But so far, no one has mentioned whether s/he has the recordings.

Well, they opened for the Stones again recently, so they enjoy doing it, and I can't imagine they'd say no if asked, so I don't blame them at all for that. It's pretty cool, actually.

http://thearmyreserve.blogspot.com/
    That place has a bunch of boots, not sure if 97 is up yet.
    They did play Santa Cruz around that point too, playing a bunch of the YIELD songs in a club there. Those sound cool.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    I guess they didn't tell him how to spell righteous at P-dine. Fucking cake eaters. ;)

We're on the verge of getting some YIELD live again. I want to see 50,000 or however many people will be at the lolla show pogoing to DTE. I think it'd be quite the sight.

to busy praying and worshipping bush to spell. =)

yes- pogoing during DTE will be a sight. I call GTF as well- mass pogoing before the chorus. In Hiding is an outlier and has distant odds but is a possible bet....
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    Fixed.

Good call bro.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Good call bro.
    We can hope, can't we?
    We can hope, can't we?

A (wise?) man said something like "You can dream. It's good to have dreams." I think that's about where we are right now.
  • A (wise?) man said something like "You can dream. It's good to have dreams." I think that's about where we are right now.
    We'll always forgive a criminal...but never the dreamer.

Dream on.
  • Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    think i should give yield a spin

have any of you clever fuckers read Fyodor Dostoevsky's novella "the idiot".
    i bought it a couple of days ago. apparently it's one of the finest work of literature to this very day. it's about "the perfectly beautiful man"....weird but interesting - supposedly with a strong Christian undertone. haven't started yet. looking forward though. currently busy digesting "to kill a mockingbird" - now that shit is tight. think i'm in love with Scout.

anyway thought this may be a yield-like post. don't hate me, i'm too cool for your scorn.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • distantsun wrote:
    someone needs to move on.
    Just the messenger....
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Well, they opened for the Stones again recently, so they enjoy doing it, and I can't imagine they'd say no if asked, so I don't blame them at all for that. It's pretty cool, actually.

http://thearmyreserve.blogspot.com/
    That place has a bunch of boots, not sure if 97 is up yet.
    They did play Santa Cruz around that point too, playing a bunch of the YIELD songs in a club there. Those sound cool.

And, on the New Years Eve 91 show in NYC they were there as guests of Keith Richards, weren't they? I think Pearl Jam has always shown themselves to be a band who would defer to their elders if they repect them. I'm not sure how Tom Petty fits into all this, though. :)
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    glasshouse wrote:
    think i should give yield a spin

have any of you clever fuckers read Fyodor Dostoevsky's novella "the idiot".
    i bought it a couple of days ago. apparently it's one of the finest work of literature to this very day. it's about "the perfectly beautiful man"....weird but interesting - supposedly with a strong Christian undertone. haven't started yet. looking forward though. currently busy digesting "to kill a mockingbird" - now that shit is tight. think i'm in love with Scout.

anyway thought this may be a yield-like post. don't hate me, i'm too cool for your scorn.

This is just an all around classic post.

I don't have much to add because I've never read Dostoevsky. But I like the tone of your post.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    RockKing wrote:
    But I like the tone of your post.

thanks, i'm cool like that

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    "Mr. Hinson, "The Master and Margarita" is here and waiting for you at the first floor desk. Thanks ILL"

My quest into the origins of PILATE will begin soon...

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• "Mr. Hinson, "The Master and Margarita" is here and waiting for you at the first floor desk. Thanks ILL"

My quest into the origins of PILATE will begin soon...

PBM
    Very nice.
    Let us/me know what you're thinking as you're reading.
  • Listened to parts of the Cleveland 06 boot just now...
    two YIELD notes.

1) Matt's backing vocals on Faithfull kick ass.
    2) Ed said before 'Gone': "There's a line in the song Dissident...escape is never the safest path...well, this one explores that."

So I don't think they ever answer the MFC question here since they've been asking it before and since. I can see how it comes to a certain conclusion here on YIELD exclusively, but I still think the bigger issue floats about.
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    ***administrative note***

rk, can you kindly show me how to set up my account so that i only see this thread? i have stopped frequenting the past few days because there is just too much idiotic shit to even so much as glance at.

thanks.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
    distantsun wrote:

rk, can you kindly show me how to set up my account so that i only see this thread? i have stopped frequenting the past few days because there is just too much idiotic shit to even so much as glance at.

thanks.

Come on over to our place. It's idiot free. Well except when I show up. ;)
    ok, so I’m well aware of the fact that you guys need to keep this thread yield related. i just want to throw this in the mix. it is the lyrics of a song from the tragically hip. i think it is fucking spectacular: (and don't worry I’m sure I’ll/we'll find a way to connect this to something yieldy)

"I had this dream where I relished the fray
    and the screaming filled my head all day.
    It was as though I'd been spit here, settled
    in, into the pocket of a lighthouse on some
    rocky socket, off the coast of France, dear.

One afternoon, four thousand men died in
    the water here and five hundred more were
    thrashing madly, as parasites might in your
    blood. Now I was in a lifeboat designed for
    ten and ten only, anything that systematic
    would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a
    test nor a love of something fated. The
    selection was quick, the crew picked and
    those left in the water got kicked off our
    pantleg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings,
    you doing alright he said it's out there most
    days and nights, but only a fool would
    complain. Anyway Susan, if you like, our
    conversation is as faint as a sound in my
    memory, as those fingernails scratching on
    my hull."

this just strikes me as mighty powerful. similar to "faithful" it is a desperate confession without hope of deliverance

• distantsun wrote:

thanks.
    If you click 'thread tools' at the top it sends you an email when someone posts.
    I think that's what he was talking about.
  • glasshouse wrote:
    ok, so I’m well aware of the fact that you guys need to keep this thread yield related. i just want to throw this in the mix. it is the lyrics of a song from the tragically hip. i think it is fucking spectacular: (and don't worry I’m sure I’ll/we'll find a way to connect this to something yieldy)

"I had this dream where I relished the fray
    and the screaming filled my head all day.
    It was as though I'd been spit here, settled
    in, into the pocket of a lighthouse on some
    rocky socket, off the coast of France, dear.

One afternoon, four thousand men died in
    the water here and five hundred more were
    thrashing madly, as parasites might in your
    blood. Now I was in a lifeboat designed for
    ten and ten only, anything that systematic
    would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a
    test nor a love of something fated
    . The
    selection was quick, the crew picked and
    those left in the water got kicked off our
    pantleg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings,
    you doing alright he said it's out there most
    days and nights, but only a fool would
    complain. Anyway Susan, if you like, our
    conversation is as faint as a sound in my
    memory, as those fingernails scratching on
    my hull."

this just strikes me as mighty powerful. similar to "faithful" it is a desperate confession without hope of deliverance
    What song is this?
    I have their live record "Live Between Us" I think it is...

I think I'm getting from just reading this a feeling of being trapped or in an unexpected place..."I'd been spit here..."

This line is neat: "anything that systematic would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated"
    I think that's the essence of YIELD in a way, not being systematic and simply going with the flow - making up your own mind, not loving something supposedly fated.
    distantsun wrote:

thanks.

Check your PMs.

Listened to parts of the Cleveland 06 boot just now...
    two YIELD notes.

1) Matt's backing vocals on Faithfull kick ass.
    2) Ed said before 'Gone': "There's a line in the song Dissident...escape is never the safest path...well, this one explores that."

So I don't think they ever answer the MFC question here since they've been asking it before and since. I can see how it comes to a certain conclusion here on YIELD exclusively, but I still think the bigger issue floats about.

Ah, yes, my favorite show ever.

First, I can't put into words how amazing that version of Faithfull was. I never really noticed it before, but I just went back and listened and you're right, Matt really helps add a lot of power to the song with his vocals. It gives the song more depth than it did before Matt started doing background vocals. I have to say, in general, I couldn't be more pleased with the impact of Matt's vocals. I definitely prefer him doing it to, oh I dunno, say, JEFF. Ugh. Love the guy, but dear god does he have some hideous background vocals on lots of boots.

Secondly, I find it interesting also that Ed skips over MFC and goes directly from Dissident to Gone. I know you don't agree with this, but to me, it all ties into YIELD being seen as one isolated piece of work. I think it's much harder to pull songs out of YIELD and tie them in with other songs than it is for songs from any of their other albums. MFC falls into place at the appropriate point in YIELD. To pull it out of the context, especially Low Light immediately following it, doesn't give the song the same impact for me.

What song is this?

Nautical Disaster

• RockKing wrote:
    Secondly, I find it interesting also that Ed skips over MFC and goes directly from Dissident to Gone. I know you don't agree with this, but to me, it all ties into YIELD being seen as one isolated piece of work. I think it's much harder to pull songs out of YIELD and tie them in with other songs than it is for songs from any of their other albums. MFC falls into place at the appropriate point in YIELD. To pull it out of the context, especially Low Light immediately following it, doesn't give the song the same impact for me.
    Interesting or typical?
    ;)

I agree with your point, and I guess that's half of what I was getting at.
    They never solve the question over the course of their catalog, but it is 'solved' in a way on YIELD. I would say the moral of the story is, YIELD is explaining one situation or is one way of approaching many situations. But, it can be looked at other ways through other songs and I think it's worthwhile to compare these other lessons to YIELD to see what happens.
    Interesting or typical?
    ;)

I agree with your point, and I guess that's half of what I was getting at.
    They never solve the question over the course of their catalog, but it is 'solved' in a way on YIELD. I would say the moral of the story is, YIELD is explaining one situation or is one way of approaching many situations. But, it can be looked at other ways through other songs and I think it's worthwhile to compare these other lessons to YIELD to see what happens.

Hahaha, well, typical for sure. But maybe also interesting.

Yeah, I think YIELD is just very esoteric in terms of PJ's catalogue. I think No Code is also fairly esoteric in a very opposite way. I think in almost every way, No Code is the yin to YIELD's yang, or, as I have liked to put it in the past, No Code was the deconstruction of PJ while YIELD was the reconstruction. But ANYWAY, while I think it's difficult to compare individual songs out of YIELD, I do think it's quite possible to compare the messages of certain songs to the messages of YIELD as a whole. So, in that context, perhaps we could examine the roles of escape in songs like Dissident, Rearviewmirror, Gone, etc to the roles of escape in YIELD.

i am in love. and this is definately yield related cause you yieldites.........

anyway, it's sweetass being in love, sweetass like do the evolution :D

i know you'll understand.

or is it sweetass like all those yesterdays? maybe.

you know it brother