Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    I can get on board with that.

PBM

i hope you're just talking about his sincerity re: politics and not his music. i think his heart is still in the music.

but no, we won't ever see the same intensity as we did in the 90's with him. i mean, his whole pro-choice display on unplugged was really something.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    distantsun wrote:
    i hope you're just talking about his sincerity re: politics and not his music. i think his heart is still in the music.

but no, we won't ever see the same intensity as we did in the 90's with him. i mean, his whole pro-choice display on unplugged was really something.

I think the intensity is still there, its just different. Its not the youth filled angst that he once had, but he's still pretty passionate, at least as far as I can tell with the music.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I think there is a happy medium though...you can create art which examines the flaws and encourage intelligent communication.

Doing that, while on a stage after 3 bottles of red wine, isn't a good start.

PBM

Yes, yes, yes. Yield is that middle point, Ed at his best is the middle point. When he spouts off bits he's read here and there... not so much :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    meme wrote:
    Yes, yes, yes. Yield is that middle point, Ed at his best is the middle point.

To borrow from another period: "Smallest oceans still make big, big waves"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I think the intensity is still there, its just different. Its not the youth filled angst that he once had, but he's still pretty passionate, at least as far as I can tell with the music.

yeah, i agree. also, this is a good thing. no one wants to see a 43 year old guy acting/speaking like he's 27. that's when rock becomes cringeworthy, you know?
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    no one wants to see a 43 year old guy acting/speaking like he's 27. that's when rock becomes cringeworthy, you know?

I don't know, I cringed a couple times at shows last year. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    meme wrote:
    Yes, yes, yes. Yield is that middle point, Ed at his best is the middle point. When he spouts off bits he's read here and there... not so much :)

this middle point you speak of is what gave them the security to be comfortable. and from that, I think, came yield. the album. and also the ability to yield. obviously.
  • Options
    I don't know, I cringed a couple times at shows last year. ;)

PBM

There were only 4 times I cringed at shows last year. The first three, were each time MMJ got on stage. That singer has the worst voice ever. The 4th time, was when some guy in Camden puked a couple of rows behind me and it started dripping in my direction. Yuck.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    The first three, were each time MMJ got on stage. That singer has the worst voice ever.

(audible gasp)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    There were only 4 times I cringed at shows last year. The first three, were each time MMJ got on stage. That singer has the worst voice ever. The 4th time, was when some guy in Camden puked a couple of rows behind me and it started dripping in my direction. Yuck.

the fact that you like riot act and hate mmj is not surprising.

at least you're consistant.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    the fact that you like riot act and hate mmj is not surprising.

at least you're consistant.

Bravo!

PBM

• Options
    Bravo!

PBM

i actually didn't mean that as a dig!
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i actually didn't mean that as a dig!
    yeah suuurrrrre.
  • Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    glasshouse wrote:
    dude, that is awesome! really!! i need to tune in here a bit more maybe.
    deep stuff

let me just see if i have it right: there's a novel depicting a character called the master whose writing a story (within the story) about Pilate and his affairs relating Jesus and his (not Jesus's) dog????

fuckin sweet. i want to read that book

welcome to the level of discourse on this thread! well done, willis (likepilate)
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    welcome to the level of discourse on thsi thread! well done, willis (likepilate)
    Thanks. It's about time we had a YFC book club.
  • Options
    seriously though, its obvious weve been gone for a while, this discussion is amazing!!!!

again, like YIH says- we are classing up the joint.
  • Options
    Thanks. It's about time we had a YFC book club.

Seriously, I know you've touched on the themes of The Master and Margarita before, but this has really interested me.

To quote David Spade, "I am not much of a reader."

Is it a difficult read or fairly straight-forward?

PBM

• Options
    yeah suuurrrrre.

no really! i am not one to cause problems!!

i just meant that the two make sense in terms of their styles and sounds. although i am no musicologist..

:)
  • Options
    Seriously, I know you've touched on the themes of The Master and Margarita before, but this has really interested me.

To quote David Spade, "I am not much of a reader."

Is it a difficult read or fairly straight-forward?

PBM
    I wouldn't say it's difficult, but it is all over the place. There are so many characters and ridiculous things that go on that I could see some people being turned off by it. On the other hand, it's so original that it probably captivates most people. (The people I know that have read it)

Part of the thing is that it is translated and there is a good deal of political satire that falls through the cracks since we don't live in 1930s Moscow. I guess it's more like a dream, in all the imagery and wild things that go on. You'll take from it what you will.
  • Options
    I would highly recommend to anyone that does pick up the Master and Margarita to use this site as a guide while reading:
    http://cr.middlebury.edu/public/russ...v/public_html/

It has lots of pointers and that fill-in-the-gap information that help in the understanding.

Luckily, I read this on my own and then read it again as part of a college course, so it's still pretty fresh in my mind.
  • Options
    I always have good intentions when I go to the library...I picked up Story of B and read the first 100 pages, got distracted and then didn't finish it.

It would be interesting to have everyone read the books related to YIELD and comment on them concurrently.

PBM

• Options
    (audible gasp)

Since this thread is generally positive I'll just say, the band was ok, and I won't talk about the singer.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Since this thread is generally positive I'll just say, the band was ok, and I won't talk about the singer.
    (pat on the head and a cookie)

:D
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

I wasn't sold on them until I saw them...a great band.

Please watch this version of Gideon.

PBM

• Options

PBM

I saw them open for PJ 3 times, and that was enough for me.
  • Options

PBM
    Not that this would ever happen, but if someone made a movie about DBT, Jim James should play Patterson.

Yeah, that's a good one. Usually those things with the orchestras don't work, but that one was fun. The tuxedos helped.
    :D
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431

PBM

What's funny about this statement is that I was the opposite. I had never heard them prior to the Chicago show. I didn't like them (mostly because of the singing) very much at all. However, as I do with pretty much every band I see live, when I got home I checked out 'Z', and I liked it quite a bit and over time I learned to love the singing as well. It was just more of an aquired taste for me over time.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    Where is BrainofJD? Does he know we are back here?
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

how many of you are there?!
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    I've tasted a life wasted/never going back again/