Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm...well, at least I got to take the discussion to a meaningful place...I just wish I could have worked in a Ted Nugent reference somewhere.

PBM
    Well, if you want to discuss the duality of the Nuge as both a creator and a destroyer, that'd be interesting. Great White Buffalo, now there's an amazing musical creation.
    The dinner table, there's some destruction.

Llamas anyone?

;)

The point here was about the evolution of YIELD songs...were the later songs spurred on by the sound and lyrics of Brain of J and MFC, which debuted on the road in 95 and 96?
    The consensus was, to an extent, but not entirely since Mike and Jeff and Stone were all writing riffs outside on their own and then brought them in for Ed's lyrics. So, there's a nice balance in that too.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    The point here was about the evolution of YIELD songs...were the later songs spurred on by the sound and lyrics of Brain of J and MFC, which debuted on the road in 95 and 96?
    The consensus was, to an extent, but not entirely since Mike and Jeff and Stone were all writing riffs outside on their own and then brought them in for Ed's lyrics. So, there's a nice balance in that too.

I'm basing this on 100% "talking out my ass", but I would think that those early songs were a foundation....and like any polished product...they were finely tuned "over some course of time..." ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    you can try now and i will act surprised.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    sorry. that posted twice.
  • Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    distantsun wrote:
    sorry. that posted twice.

you have alot to learn about posting. alot to learn about YIELD as well.

welcome, distant sun.

also- nugent's eating/hunting practices are very YIELD. discuss.

love to all-

S-A-A
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    I'm basing this on 100% "talking out my ass", but I would think that those early songs were a foundation....and like any polished product...they were finely tuned "over some course of time..." ;)

PBM

i could agree with this, but for the sake of courtly discourse, I shall disagree. all things are contextual, so without the album making process, the other songs, SVT, and the formative period after No Code I cannot see the songs having the same relevance. also, it begs the question on which songs are central to YIELD. My opinion is that G2F and Wishlist make the album more than BoJ and MFC. In another context, those songs could be vastly different.
  • Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Minneapolis 6-30-98 had 9 songs if you include Leatherman.

Brain of J
    Faithfull
    Pilate
    MFC
    Wishlist
    All Those Yesterdays
    Do the Evolution
    Given to Fly
    Leatherman

Atlanta 9-1-98 had quite a few as well

Given to Fly
    Do the Evolution
    Wishlist
    In Hiding
    MFC
    Brain of J
    No Way
    ATY as a tag to Daughter

Thanks a lot for that info.A show with 9 and another with 8,and neither had Lowlight........makes me feel slightly more privaleged than I did before!Especially allowing I have only been to 3 shows!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,854
    They should bust out No Way and All Those Yesterdays at Lollapalooza. Not only are they great songs, but a showcase of the awesome songwriter that Stone is. And not only that, they haven't been played in an uber-long time! Especially No Way.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    They should bust out No Way and All Those Yesterdays at Lollapalooza. Not only are they great songs, but a showcase of the awesome songwriter that Stone is. And not only that, they haven't been played in an uber-long time! Especially No Way.
    Why don't you send 'em a postcard.
  • Options
    mnjamfanmnjamfan Posts: 83
    Seeing faithful live at Wembley really rekindled my love for Yield, now I can't quit again
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    Why don't you send 'em a postcard.

Granted our past failures with said campaign and the current "green" movement, maybe we should just send them e-cards. :D
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    i could agree with this, but for the sake of courtly discourse, I shall disagree. all things are contextual, so without the album making process, the other songs, SVT, and the formative period after No Code I cannot see the songs having the same relevance. also, it begs the question on which songs are central to YIELD. My opinion is that G2F and Wishlist make the album more than BoJ and MFC. In another context, those songs could be vastly different.

i agree with this. according the philosophy that the group here has subscribed to, wishlist and gtf (even more so..faithfull) are way more integral to the whole theme/message than BoJ and MCF. but let us not pit songs against one another.

ultimately i think ed (maybe the others?) saw the yield in those 2 latter songs which is why they too are on the album.
  • Options
    also thanks for the welcome. i hope i do not step on any toes!!
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    ultimately i think ed (maybe the others?) saw the yield in those 2 latter songs which is why they too are on the album.

An alternate theory.
    Alas, if only I had the masterlist. It has seemed to have disappeared.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

BOJ and DTE are one in the same...big God Damn warning signs. I think the seed was planted early...the theme may have evolved from what they originally started from...but it was there.

In essence, it's like making lasagna (sorry for the lazy reference...I'm not clicking on all cyclinders yet)...there are layers that keep being added on...more ingredients that add to the flavor.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    yes, Binaural is far more interesting than yield. oh fuck, my bad - wrong thread
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    yes, Binaural is far more interesting than yield. oh fuck, my bad - wrong thread

Binaural was like a rebound girlfriend for a long time...I listened to her...told her she was pretty, but I really wanted to be with YIELD.

I have since pulled a Scott Baio and apologized to her.

PBM

• Options
    dude, you don't have to marry the first girl you make love to. now open up your eyes and do the right thing

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    dude, you don't have to marry the first girl you make love to. now open up your eyes and do the right thing

If I did that, I would be in a thread talking about Ten.

;)

PBM

• Options
    ok, sounds like you're at the right place then

piace brother.

don't forget to give your re-bound girlfriend a call once in a while though

• Options
    not a big binaural fan. i'll stick in this thread.
  • Options
    good on you. i'll go listen to evacuation then

• Options
    jeddethjeddeth Posts: 93
    I have been hearing about this thread, but never got around to reading it. I am excited to see the wisdom of this thread that I have heard so much about. I just have to ask, before I can ever really get into my full appreciation mode, how can anyone realistically say Yield is better than Ten? I don't know how to get past that.
    Things change. They wont change unless you make them. The best way to change something you don't like, is to change yourself. So if you feel like you have a piece of duct tape on your mouth and you can't escape, take it off, speak up, speak your mind, shout it out, let 'em hear ya! -EV
  • Options
    i knew sanity would prevail some time or another.
    the house (ten) always fucking wins. it is a mathematical fact

• Options
    jeddeth wrote:
    I have been hearing about this thread, but never got around to reading it. I am excited to see the wisdom of this thread that I have heard so much about. I just have to ask, before I can ever really get into my full appreciation mode, how can anyone realistically say Yield is better than Ten? I don't know how to get past that.

very interesting.

just last week I listened to ten and I was totally blown away. it was like I'd never heard it before. if you break the album down, song by song, it is just simply astounding that songs as powerful as Alive and Black are on a debut album. so in that respect, there is something about ten that will never be seen on any other album.

as for the "big deal" about yield, it seems that the people on this thread (and lots of fans, really) seem to identify/gravitate toward the message of the album and how it is delivered through the music. how accidentally deliberate it all is. maybe.

:)
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:

as for the "big deal" about yield, it seems that the people on this thread (and lots of fans, really) seem to identify/gravitate toward the message of the album and how it is delivered through the music. how accidentally deliberate it all is. maybe.

Yeah, and to answer the previous question about Ten being better...
    I think, speaking on behalf of the people that post here, YIELD means a little more to us because of everything else that surrounds it. The things that were going on in our life at the time, when we've listened to it, why we've listened to it, all these things factor in to it.

We're not trying to push YIELD on everyone or say it's better, all we're trying to do is discuss it to find out more about it, thusly finding out more about ourselves.

If you can do that with Ten, that's great, please do. I think that's half the point of the message board. If you'd like to join us and do so with YIELD, post away.

It's all state of mind, so I don't think it's fair to characteristically assume one album is better than any other. The album is meaningless without the listener.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i agree with this. according the philosophy that the group here has subscribed to, wishlist and gtf (even more so..faithfull) are way more integral to the whole theme/message than BoJ and MCF. but let us not pit songs against one another.

true, I do not mean to polarize. kind thanks, madame.
  • Options
    Binaural was like a rebound girlfriend for a long time...I listened to her...told her she was pretty, but I really wanted to be with YIELD.

I have since pulled a Scott Baio and apologized to her.

PBM

I couldn't have said it better.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    im listening to it right now at work. then i saw this thread. coincidence?
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    I couldn't have said it better.

hey dude, don't make fun of the rebound. she'll tear your nuts off. fierce fucker that one