Options

Systematic Subjugation of Women by Religion

123457»

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ah, glad it did you good, rgambs!

Interesting views from the Moroccans you encountered. To me, love encompasses so much including respect, that it should be a given. Never heard of the foot / heel thing...I wonder if that changes for the men when their daughter or sister becomes a mother herself? And odd that motherhood itself is what warrants that feeling...not womanhood.

My maternal grandparents' marriage was arranged; she was 14 and he was a few years older. They were married for over 50 years, until he died - the year I was born. Thought-provoking how out of their eight children, two of the sons married American women, with my mom the only daughter marrying a non-Persian (German). And two of those marriages failed...though I believe they had more do with the relationships themselves than culture or religion.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hedonist,the food recipes in your family must be crazy diverse and tasty.With all those influences yah?
  • Options
    Oh man, my mother and her siblings - great cooks who've done shame to much of Persian food we've eaten in restaurants. My dad, with his love for and appreciation of all things food, expanded our eating horizons to Korean, Cuban, Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, Russian (plus German too). All over the globe!

It encouraged the taste-anything mentality (though blood sausage, pig snout and haggis - NO FUCKING WAY).
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Oh man, my mother and her siblings - great cooks who've done shame to much of Persian food we've eaten in restaurants. My dad, with his love for and appreciation of all things food, expanded our eating horizons to Korean, Cuban, Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, Russian (plus German too). All over the globe!

It encouraged the taste-anything mentality (though blood sausage, pig snout and haggis - NO FUCKING WAY).

You had up to the last sentence.lol
  • Options
    Interesting thread! I do believe that the major religions have often been interpreted to subjugate women. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism in the fundamentalist forms all elevate women over men. And many countries discriminate against women culturally as well.

Some words from Jimmy Carter on the subject. Love him or hate him, he has written about this topic.

An exerpt:

In his new book, A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power, President Carter has focused his attention on what he calls "the most serious and unaddressed worldwide challenge" of our time - the discrimination and abuse of women and girls. The book reflects his wisdom and perspective having traveled to over 145 countries and been a firsthand witness to a system of discrimination that extends to every nation in which women are routinely deprived of education, healthcare and equal opportunity, "owned" by men, forced to suffer servitude and child marriage, or trapped, along with their children, in cycles of poverty, war and violence. In his groundbreaking book, he also writes about the most shocking and disturbing human right abuses, ranging from the infanticide of millions of newborn girls and selective abortion of female fetuses, female genital mutilation, the global pandemic of rape, including rape being used as a weapon of war, and the worldwide trafficking of women and young girls. The book also covers many timely issues that impact women and girls in the United States, such as the way incidences of sexual assault and rape are treated with relative impunity on some of our most prestigious college campuses as well as in the U.S. military, or the social undercurrent of discrimination that results in fewer promotions, lower pay, and unequal representation in leadership positions in politics and many others sectors of society.

In A Call to Action, President Carter also examines the deeply ingrained links between the incorrect interpretations of religious texts preaching that men are superior to women in the eyes of God, which is often used to justify the subjugation and abuse of women and girls. (Carter felt so strongly about this issue he left his own church after seventy years -- the Southern Baptist Convention - over its decision in 2000 not to allow women pastors, deacons, chaplains, or teachers in seminaries.) He further connects the problem to the world's glorification of violence, telling me that, "the excessive resort to violence of all kinds plus misinterpretation of biblical scriptures are two of the generic causes."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marianne-schnall/jimmy-carter-call-to-action_b_5050735.html
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Nice! There is a problem here though. Kudos to him for standing up to his church, but you can tell he clings to his faith with a death grip. Clinging so stubbornly to his faith leads him to call out the INTERPRETATION of the texts by men, when clearly there is a problem with the texts themselves. Reading at face value renders these texts as abusive to women and it takes some interpretational back bending to give those particular passages any worthwhile meaning. Kudos for sure for speaking out on this subject, and his heart is in the right place, but calling it misinterpretation is passing the buck on where to land the blame.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Nice! There is a problem here though. Kudos to him for standing up to his church, but you can tell he clings to his faith with a death grip. Clinging so stubbornly to his faith leads him to call out the INTERPRETATION of the texts by men, when clearly there is a problem with the texts themselves. Reading at face value renders these texts as abusive to women and it takes some interpretational back bending to give those particular passages any worthwhile meaning. Kudos for sure for speaking out on this subject, and his heart is in the right place, but calling it misinterpretation is passing the buck on where to land the blame.

Well, that is true, and probably the reason for the across the board misogynistic interpretations! I have no use for organized religion, anyway. It's really about power, not spirituality
  • Options
    grooveme said:

rgambs said:

Well, that is true, and probably the reason for the across the board misogynistic interpretations! I have no use for organized religion, anyway. It's really about power, not spirituality
    I agree! Spirituality is innate. Stand in a forest, on a mountain, by the sea, look at the clouds, listen to Bach, Beethoven or motherfucking Pearl Jam, pay attention to your loved ones, you will find all the spirituality that you need in life just by being open to it! The greatest lie ever is that you need some crusty old shriv to connect you to what is inherently yours by simply existing.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited September 2014
    rgambs said:

I agree! Spirituality is innate. Stand in a forest, on a mountain, by the sea, look at the clouds, listen to Bach, Beethoven or motherfucking Pearl Jam, pay attention to your loved ones, you will find all the spirituality that you need in life just by being open to it! The greatest lie ever is that you need some crusty old shriv to connect you to what is inherently yours by simply existing.

Love this post.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,950
    rgambs said:

Almost every Torah I've seen used in synagogue has some form of commentary attached to it, for the simple reason that religious texts have a tendency to be incredibly cryptic (or translated from ancient languages - a very easy way to introduce bias for a translator). I find it impossible to believe that anyone could say without ambiguity what messages these ancient texts are actually trying to convey (case and point: people dedicate their entire lives to the study of them to try and discover their truest meaning), and hence, everything is subject to interpretation, interpretations are affected by bias, and thus the absolutism that draws people to religion for moral guidance is absent. In my opinion, religion is not a bad thing in itself so long as we refute the absolutism of it, take ownership of our own actions and feelings and not blame our religions or deity's wills, let our choices be guided by religious texts if that helps, but ensure that we think long and hard about whether these relevant religious text-condoned actions or feelings align with our inner humanitarians.

I hope I worded that alright - I've been dipping into the 'greens' tonight :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

rgambs said:

Almost every Torah I've seen used in synagogue has some form of commentary attached to it, for the simple reason that religious texts have a tendency to be incredibly cryptic (or translated from ancient languages - a very easy way to introduce bias for a translator). I find it impossible to believe that anyone could say without ambiguity what messages these ancient texts are actually trying to convey (case and point: people dedicate their entire lives to the study of them to try and discover their truest meaning), and hence, everything is subject to interpretation, interpretations are affected by bias, and thus the absolutism that draws people to religion for moral guidance is absent. In my opinion, religion is not a bad thing in itself so long as we refute the absolutism of it, take ownership of our own actions and feelings and not blame our religions or deity's wills, let our choices be guided by religious texts if that helps, but ensure that we think long and hard about whether these relevant religious text-condoned actions or feelings align with our inner humanitarians.

In a way I agree, and in a way I disagree. I think the scriptures as a whole are very open to interpretation, particularly as to which sections are to be given greater emphasis and priority. I do, however, think that most individual passages have meanings that are not cryptic, that are clear and obvious. The quotes I posted to start the thread are not misinterpreted passages, they are bold statements! Furthermore, the fact that throughout the stages of presentation and translation, these passages have been allowed to stand as they are is very telling as to the purpose of organized religion.
    Your last sentence is SPOT ON! I do think that with that standard in place though, religion becomes obsolete and we see it for it's divisiveness.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rgambs said:

benjs said:

rgambs said:

In a way I agree, and in a way I disagree. I think the scriptures as a whole are very open to interpretation, particularly as to which sections are to be given greater emphasis and priority. I do, however, think that most individual passages have meanings that are not cryptic, that are clear and obvious. The quotes I posted to start the thread are not misinterpreted passages, they are bold statements! Furthermore, the fact that throughout the stages of presentation and translation, these passages have been allowed to stand as they are is very telling as to the purpose of organized religion.
    Your last sentence is SPOT ON! I do think that with that standard in place though, religion becomes obsolete and we see it for it's divisiveness.
    One word answer for your last sentence.... So? :)
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

rgambs said:

benjs said:

rgambs said:

One word answer for your last sentence.... So? :)
    Hahaha so let's get there! The quicker the better!
    Also, fresh greens for all!
  • Options
    You two have brought me a much-needed smile - and on this thread, yet.

Good food for thought. Now gonna join benjs on the green front.

(and, agreed with Drowned Out)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    rgambs said:

grooveme said:

rgambs said:

Jesus supposedly said pretty much the same thing.... and look what Christianity did with him. Shameful.
    Anyway, I don't think the discussion is or can be about some kind of religiousness that is beyond or above what man does with it. Religion IS how it's interpreted by people. I am just mentioning because people keep trying to talk about how various things in a religion have been "misinterpreted" to lead to the subjugation if women. But religion is all about misinterpretation. There is no distinction. I don't find it helpful to keep trying to somehow separate a religion from how a religion is practiced. It seems to be an attempt to somehow excuse religion from its own consequences.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

grooveme said:

rgambs said:

Jesus supposedly said pretty much the same thing.... and look what Christianity did with him. Shameful.
    Anyway, I don't think the discussion is or can be about some kind of religiousness that is beyond or above what man does with it. Religion IS how it's interpreted by people. I am just mentioning because people keep trying to talk about how various things in a religion have been "misinterpreted" to lead to the subjugation if women. But religion is all about misinterpretation. There is no distinction. I don't find it helpful to keep trying to somehow separate a religion from how a religion is practiced. It seems to be an attempt to somehow excuse religion from its own consequences.

While I agree with rgambs about the numerous quotes from religious texts which are clearly (even at face value) offensive or promote inequalities, I do agree with you - simply put, religion requires interpretation, and anything which requires interpretation is inherently not absolute. Religion without those who practice religion (i.e. members of a religion) would not exist, but religion with those who practice religion requires the absence of absolutism by the logic we've been discussing here (AKA those who opt to blame their religion for their betrayal of humanity ought to blame no one but themselves for either following a disturbed interpretation, or creating it him or herself).

That being said, the world without religion would certainly be replaced by another majorly viewed 'ism' - be it nationalism, capitalism, etc. - as the next scapegoat used to justify inhumane or unjust acts.
    Post edited by benjs on

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

grooveme said:

rgambs said:

While I agree with rgambs about the numerous quotes from religious texts which are clearly (even at face value) offensive or promote inequalities, I do agree with you - simply put, religion requires interpretation, and anything which requires interpretation is inherently not absolute. Religion without those who practice religion (i.e. members of a religion) would not exist, but religion with those who practice religion requires the absence of absolutism by the logic we've been discussing here (AKA those who opt to blame their religion for their betrayal of humanity ought to blame no one but themselves for either following a disturbed interpretation, or creating it him or herself).

That being said, the world without religion would certainly be replaced by another majorly viewed 'ism' - be it nationalism, capitalism, etc. - as the next scapegoat used to justify inhumane or unjust acts.
    Human nature PJ.People need to cling to something to feel complete.Is this comforting?or a sign of weakness in our make up.Are most just sheep following mans archaic past writtings or Are people just afraid of what they don't know(Death)?
  • Options
    Human nature is shit lol.
    I personally think the only explanation for the continual recurrence of war, genocide, racism, sexism, nationalism, religion, violence and greed is a fundamental problem with human nature. I think by nature we are more tribal and competitive than communal and altruistic. It took more than 200,000 years for modern humans to start working together in large groups, and in the 7,000 or more years since we haven't made much progress toward living in peace.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rgambs said:

Human nature is shit lol.
    I personally think the only explanation for the continual recurrence of war, genocide, racism, sexism, nationalism, religion, violence and greed is a fundamental problem with human nature. I think by nature we are more tribal and competitive than communal and altruistic. It took more than 200,000 years for modern humans to start working together in large groups, and in the 7,000 or more years since we haven't made much progress toward living in peace.

Just confirms evolution to me. We're still sheep and find comfort in packs. Will come together for safety if need be as shown with. 9-11
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    There was a picture posted in the JMcCain selfies with ISIS thread that reminded me of a pet peeve/amusement from living in Columbus. I absolutely love/hate when a woman covers her neck and even face with a head scarf and wears a shirt that outlines her bust, or jeans that outline her ass. WTF is the point of that, its freaking hilarious what people will do to appease their religion, and their peers for that matter. Go one way or another, that's fine, but riding the fence like that is absurd!

The veiling of women is a touchy subject for many, I personally find it to be rather disgusting. A woman has to sweat it out so that the men around her don't have to deal with normal levels of bodily self-control? Ludicrous, and encourages men to think they don't need to control themselves, opening the door to rape-apology. It isn't a very far walk from "she must cover herself" to "did you see what she was wearing, she was asking for it". Not to mention in many places a raped woman gets punished...this shit gets me heated! I have seen with my 2 eyes the horror of FGM, it is time to put a fucking stop to these twisted old ideologies that encourage these sorts of behaviors. Down with the filthy texts, down with their followers! If there is a just God, it hangs it's head in shame for what is done to women in it's name.
    Damn, I started out amused and now I am brimstonin.
  • Options
    Rgambs, humans are but simple creatures so just have to accept it and move on. Have heard interviews with women that like being covered up though probably coping mechanism.

One day silly religious controlling behaviors will be extinct. women will then be the alpha gender.

Oh shit maybe there is something to this religious crap.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Recently watched The Stoning of Soraya M.
    It was pretty well done, and very heart/gut wrenching.

I have been thinking lately about the sexism of South American men and whether it is influenced by their deep association with the catholic church. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Gambsy, here in South Florida we have a lot of influence from Latin America.I see this same thing a lot.i think it's generational old school shit.But a lot Latin women aren't having that shit anymore.So I think the tide may be turning a bit.
  • Options
    It's funny that they (stereotypically) are known for strong women and womanizing simultaneously. I know my friend from Brazil shows real signs of misogyny, and he is really a great guy, and a good person. He calls acquaintance ladies "bitches" and expects sex within the first few dates as a condition for a serious relationship, not a hookup. On the other side of the token, his mom doesn't take shit and he expects strength in women. Weird.
  • Options
    Would think for sure women would scream bullshit on this religious mumbo jumbo. But alas.