Options

Beheaded by ISIS

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    BS44325 said:

This is probably the most important article written on ISIS today. Required reading for anyone on here who truly wants to understand the nature of the threat and where their ideology comes from. It is not a "pro-groundtroops" article. A little long but extremely important. Harsh for those that think ISIS is not islam.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Having Western (US) troops involved makes it so much easier for ISIS to recruit. The benefits of western involvement will be far outweighed by the damage. Additionally countries have relied on US to help them. It's great some countries in Middle East are now pissed off and they need to feel pain so they are motivated to act.
    Both Assad and Hussein were tyrants but they would have taken care of ISIS and we created this vacuum.

Us news entertainment propaganda machine is currently barraging the US citizen with warlike propaganda. Don't fall for it.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    callen said:

BS44325 said:

This is probably the most important article written on ISIS today. Required reading for anyone on here who truly wants to understand the nature of the threat and where their ideology comes from. It is not a "pro-groundtroops" article. A little long but extremely important. Harsh for those that think ISIS is not islam.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Having Western (US) troops involved makes it so much easier for ISIS to recruit. The benefits of western involvement will be far outweighed by the damage. Additionally countries have relied on US to help them. It's great some countries in Middle East are now pissed off and they need to feel pain so they are motivated to act.
    Both Assad and Hussein were tyrants but they would have taken care of ISIS and we created this vacuum.

Us news entertainment propaganda machine is currently barraging the US citizen with warlike propaganda. Don't fall for it.
    Damn Callen, you are a smart dude.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    badbrains said:

BS44325 said:

Ya, you're right, it was to long to read and full of shit. I'm gonna have people who are NOT Muslims tell me what it means to BE a Muslim. Ya, got it. Thanks for your light. Now I can see. It's funny, you spread as much fear as Isis. But please, keep on spreading. And let's put American soldiers on the ground to, why not? Again, "fear is your only god"

Sad, the Israeli government killed more innocent civilians/CHILDREN in what 50 days then all of Isis. Wonder where your outrage was then? Oh ya, you supported it. Selective murder is ok in your book, as long as it's not committed by Muslims. And is committed AGAINST Muslims.(sorry for my caps).
    And let's not forget about atrocities in Africa that have been so vividly pointed out on this board.

It's so easy to rile up humans and too damn easy to create hate when ones life has not been affected with exceptions to volunteering to turn on TV watching some machine run images while drinking victory Gin.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    I saw a report the other day on the rise of ISIS in Libya, and a few local residents were all asking the question 'where is the world'.

The west are in an impossible position
  • Options

callen said:

Gents: Agree ISIS seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. Don't think ideology can be wiped out though. Do you both agree we should let Jordan and Egypt handle? What's benefit of US joining?

yes I agree the US should stay away but given the damage and lives isis has done to the US and every place else maybe this is our opertunity to settle up and eliminate an on-going problem.

Godfather.

GF I would counter the US has done far more damage to Middle East than they have to US/Europe. . We don't have Middle East planes strategically bombing in the US. Think about how you personably have been affected by ISIS. The only one for me is having my tax dollars spent on war rather than good schools in impoverished areas and worried about those kids now breaking into my car/home.
  • Options
    No escape from the mass mind rape
    Play it again jack and then rewind the tape
    And then play it again and again and again
    Until ya mind is locked in
    Believin' all the lies that they're tellin' ya
    Buyin' all the products that they're sellin' ya
    They say jump and ya say how high
    Ya brain-dead
    Ya gotta fuckin' bullet in ya head
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    BS44325 said:

Thanks For sharing that article. Head on a swivel people. They are everywhere!!! out to kill you, your infidel family, and everything America stands for.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Now this is getting even more fucked up ...

Iraq envoy to UN: Islamic State might be harvesting organs

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations asked the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday to look at allegations that the Islamic State group is using organ harvesting as a way to finance its operations.

Ambassador Mohamed Alhakim told reporters that in the past few weeks, bodies with surgical incisions and missing kidneys or other body parts have been found in shallow mass graves.

"We have bodies. Come and examine them," he said. "It is clear they are missing certain parts."

He also said a dozen doctors have been "executed" in Mosul for refusing to participate in organ harvesting.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Thanks For sharing that article. Head on a swivel people. They are everywhere!!! out to kill you, your infidel family, and everything America stands for.
    HAHAHAHA and who are "they"?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Why don't you tell me??
  • Options
    muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Why don't you tell me??
    Well, you're the cop, you should know who all these people are.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Why don't you tell me??
    Always getting off topic with you, but Since you think you are the Lord of the Boards and self proclaimed troll hunter of the boards you know exactly who some should look out for.
    Time to go to workout and then to work and do something productive with my day, I suggest you do the same.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Why don't you tell me??
    Always getting off topic with you, but Since you think you are the Lord of the Boards and self proclaimed troll hunter of the boards you know exactly who some should look out for.
    Time to go to workout and then to work and do something productive with my day, I suggest you do the same.
    Oh I am working on something VERY productive. I'll let everyone in on it when the time is ready. I'm sure everyone is gonna get a kick out of it including yourself. Enjoy your day, hopefully the scumbags of your fine city will give you an easy day while you're on the streets patrolling for the bad guys. I wonder if I should start signing my posts with:

Troll Hunter
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

callen said:

Gents: Agree ISIS seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. Don't think ideology can be wiped out though. Do you both agree we should let Jordan and Egypt handle? What's benefit of US joining?

yes I agree the US should stay away but given the damage and lives isis has done to the US and every place else maybe this is our opertunity to settle up and eliminate an on-going problem.

Godfather.

GF I would counter the US has done far more damage to Middle East than they have to US/Europe. . We don't have Middle East planes strategically bombing in the US. Think about how you personably have been affected by ISIS. The only one for me is having my tax dollars spent on war rather than good schools in impoverished areas and worried about those kids now breaking into my car/home.
    how I've been personally affected......well I'd rather not go into that because everybody has a complaint about this ISIS topic and mine would just be another one, but since you mentioned the US bombing raids I believe that when we do that it in defense for another country or rebel group of some sort and what do you think might happen if the US just backed away from all middle eastern squables ? as much as I 'd like to see that we can't, groups like ISIS have beeen around for years and they attack people for things as small as a cartoons and beside who does everybody call on for help when they get thier nuts in vice ? with our pretty much open boarder policy comes a lote of bullshit that leeds to military attacks at some point somewhere in the world..people come here and protest the evils of the country they left and want and expect US military action but want to stay here where they are safe for the most part and scream over the fense...you know my answer to that.

Godfather.

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

I saw a report the other day on the rise of ISIS in Libya, and a few local residents were all asking the question 'where is the world'.

The west are in an impossible position

PD we created this need for western intervention. We can't fix the world.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Wow.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    callen said:

muskydan said:

BS44325 said:

Wow.
    I agree. Wow. Sounds like a propaganda poster from the'30s or 40's. McCarthy comes to mind.
    They're coming to take you away HAHA!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    And to think a supposed "cop" is making these statements.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    ISIS is determining who and who isn't a muslim right now. Moderates are being slaughtered while the west twiddles it's thumbs. Egypt, Jordan and UAE are conducting airstrikes but they are not putting troops on the ground. ISIS assaulted Irbil yesterday. They are not intimidated by the airstrikes. Italy is actually concerend that they will be invaded from Libya. If we don't remove the cancer it will spread. There will be no moderate muslims left. The good intentions of this board notwithstanding.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Wow, 40,000 people are gonna take over the world. Where's Austin powers when you need him?
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    Apparently denial is not just a river in Egypt
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Apparently fear is "your" only god

Edit-and what was that statement about yellow stars again? That was aimed at me right? Wow
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Taking on the problem is not "fear". Avoiding the problem is "fear".
  • Options
    "and what was that statement about yellow stars again? That was aimed at me right?"

Clearly yes. I thought you understood that. I apologize if holding a mirror up to your behaviour has thrown you for a loop. Now would you like to comment on defeating ISIS or would you prefer to just throw Afroman punches around.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    yellow stars?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    The US is not even supporting Egypt and the UAE in Libya

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/pentagon-egypt-uae-attacking-islamists-libya-differs-us-bombing-isis

The US is at odds with the countries we are hoping will tackle ISIS for us. There is no strategy right now.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

"and what was that statement about yellow stars again? That was aimed at me right?"

Clearly yes. I thought you understood that. I apologize if holding a mirror up to your behaviour has thrown you for a loop. Now would you like to comment on defeating ISIS or would you prefer to just throw Afroman punches around.

Ya it has thrown me for a loop cuz I don't see that person. Are you sure you're not looking into the mirror yourself? Projecting much ey? I can throw afroman punches all day with ya if you'd like. You made a fucken lame ass statement, no surprise there, and yet I had a bunch of people come and defend me. And you stand by that statement, awesome. I applaud oh wait, our nation salutes you.
  • Options
    chadwick said:

yellow stars?

Ya Chadwick, this guy/gal BS claims I would love to have certain members of the community wear yellow stars. Like I'm hitler or anti-Semitic. Me, pretty fucken hilarious.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    edited February 2015
    badbrains said:

BS44325 said:

Ya, you're right, it was to long to read and full of shit. I'm gonna have people who are NOT Muslims tell me what it means to BE a Muslim. Ya, got it. Thanks for your light. Now I can see. It's funny, you spread as much fear as Isis. But please, keep on spreading. And let's put American soldiers on the ground to, why not? Again, "fear is your only god"

Sad, the Israeli government killed more innocent civilians/CHILDREN in what 50 days then all of Isis. Wonder where your outrage was then? Oh ya, you supported it. Selective murder is ok in your book, as long as it's not committed by Muslims. And is committed AGAINST Muslims.(sorry for my caps).
    Nart, I think it's absolutely critical to absorb as much as you can from as many different angles as possible. If the article completely disagrees with what being a Muslim is all about - then as a peace-loving Muslim, I think you're in the right position to share that with us: as a Jew (or any other religion), it wouldn't be my place to speak up on that topic, as I'm only peripherally aware of the nature of Islam.

That being said, since you brought up Israel - I'll happily speak up about that ass-backwards country: I believe much of Israeli behaviour to be a bastardization of Jewish laws. On the same note though, it wouldn't be reasonable of me to deny the fact that convenient Jewish laws were extracted and used in isolation for self-serving actions (i.e. the non-concern of the treatment of those native to the land Israel resides upon based on concepts of Zionism). Israeli behaviour is a scar on the face of Judaism in my mind, but it doesn't make me hate the Jewish religion (I have other reasons for that). I think that anti-Jewish sentiment because of self-serving and unacceptable Israeli actions and anti-Muslim sentiment because of self-serving and unacceptable ISIS actions are equally deluded and unacceptable - it's a straight-forward composition/division logical fallacy applied in both scenarios.

Now, back to the "is ISIS a Muslim attempt at a caliphate" question.

The way I see it, there are two requirements for a caliphate: a caliph, and allegiant followers.

I'm guessing al-Baghdadi has one of two opinions:

a) A caliphate ought to exist because Allah commands it.

Followers may be attained by:
    -proposing commitment to Allah
    -fear

b) A caliphate ought to exist because I want the power of being a caliph.

Followers may be attained by:
    -proposing commitment to Allah (aka propaganda)
    -fear

So, my point is, to conclude that ISIS has Muslim roots makes some critical and outlandish assumptions:
    1) al-Baghdadi believes in a modern caliphate due to commitment to Allah, as he claims
    2) al-Baghdadi is able to recruit by proposing commitment to Allah (again - this assuming he truly believes what he is doing is showing commitment to Allah), and not by fear

Does ISIS represent an attempt at a caliphate or an attempt to seize power? I truthfully don't know. Historically, when you have a structure with one person high above the rest in a group - they didn't typically get there by being the most noble or humane or just or even religious; they simply promised the greatest certainty of persistent power. And in an area with little to no power given to the people - that's a hell of a promise.

Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Great post benjs. I guess my response would be whatever it is that al-baghdadi is trying to accomplish would it not make sense for someone/us/choose your opposing force to demonstrate that he has no power to give? I think people are downplaying the "victories" that he is presenting to his growing number of followers. It will take a more significant defeat of his forces and a significant roll back of his territory to reveal him as the false prophet we know him to be.
    Post edited by BS44325 on