Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

dignin said:
    Not even close.
    how so not even close??

the rams are standing in solidarity with a minority who was murdered by a government employee. i can see the similarity.
    One features an Olympic hero demonstrating strength against Aryan ideology. A classic social moment at a most important time.

The other features some athletes standing in solidarity with a criminal 'murdered' after trying to assault a police officer. A misguided attempt that tried to speak for a very appropriate cause... using the wrong case to do so.
    you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the protests in ferguson are about. it is not just this one single case. hands up don't shoot is a movement against police brutality nationwide. the rams are standing in solidarity with people worldwide who are opposing and resisting police brutality.
    People don't get it because they don't want to.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    There is a provision of Missouri Law — MO Rev Stat § 56.110 — that empowers “the court having criminal jurisdiction” to “appoint some other attorney to prosecute” if the prosecuting attorney “be interested.” (The term “be interested” is an awkward legal way to refer to conflict-of-interest or bias. The statute dates from the turn of the 20th century.)

The court with jurisdiction over Darren Wilson’s case is the 21st Judicial Circuit Court of Missouri. That means the power to appoint a special prosecutor is held by Maura McShane, the Presiding Judge of the 21st Circuit.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/12/02/3598082/one-woman-could-appoint-a-special-prosecutor-and-bring-justice-to-ferguson/
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

dignin said:
    republicans will attempt to block it. guaranteed.
    Can republicans be any more predictable? Just as we've said years ago. The entire republican party have only one thing they want done on their plate. ONE THING. And that's to go against Obama on every. single. thing. These crooks we have in Congress have only one agenda. They refuse to work for the people out of the spite and hatred they have for our president. Thoroughly embarrassed to be an American. Because body cameras and more training for police are the right thing to do here and everyone knows it. This is how they react to common sense solutions. But you can't reason with the unreasonable and those who have no common sense...

Right-Wing Media React To Obama's Modest Police Training Plan With Outrage, Deflection

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/12/02/right-wing-media-react-to-obamas-modest-police/201739

Conservative media outlets attacked President Obama's proposed plan for $263 million in funding for police training and body cameras following the police shooting of Michael Brown, accusing Obama of blaming police instead of focusing on issues affecting the black community. But research has shown that the use of body cameras has decreased civilian complaints and the use of force by police.
    We are getting camera's in Shitcago in 60 days. I can't freakin wait for the world to see The behavior of typical ghetto society. I can already hear the racebaiters in my town complaining about how it makes their people look bad and you can't show the General public that. Ignorance is bliss people. That is a saying that meant shit to me till I got on the job, but trust me...you do not want to know what Police officers see day in and day out. But you will now so enjoy one of the biggest shit-shows on earth brought to you by The Entitlement capital of the world. Perhaps after people see this behavior voters will be forced to realize that in order to get yo free stuff, (rent, food, cellphone, transportion, the list goes on and on) you have to pass a drug test. But I have been told that is racist too.
    i can't wait for the world to see cops who talk about people the way you do. all it will do is expose something that most of us already suspect. i worked at a school in oakville and the resource cops there routinely referred to a group of black students as T-Dog, Booboo, and Pookie...
    Well we shall see, just don't look away when you want too.
    Funny you should bring that up on talking all street to students and youths. I worked at ORR and Marshall High Schools for years on the wild wild westside of Chicago. I always hated when I had to talk in a way they would understand me and believe it or not gain their respect. I am sure you did the same being a teacher in what i assume was the hood of St. Lousey.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

muskydan said:

JC29856 said:

Fuck the cameras!
    Let the civil lawsuits come out of police dept pension funds, maybe even the individual police officers. Repeat offending police departments should carry private insurance to cover civil suits instead of Joe taxpayer footing the bills. Let them pay the exorbitant premiums and we see cops policing themselves.

Do your research, I can't believe I am saying that to you…. they have been suing individual officers punitively for years. Do I need to explain what punitive means?
    I don't have time to research it but i will pay you to for me. I will send you $10,000 cash if you can provide the total number of police officers in the US. Then simply provide me with research that shows .5% that's one half of one percent of that number (total # of us police officers) that paid punitive damages out of pocket? You can have a nice Christmas with 10gs! Just post the findings here. As a bonus just in case you can't find .5% I'll give you $1,000 for just .1%.
    If cash isn't your thing, then you name it, want to tour with pj this summer, all expenses paid by me city to city up to $10,000.
    I think you better save Mommy and Daddy's Money…..
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:
    Can republicans be any more predictable? Just as we've said years ago. The entire republican party have only one thing they want done on their plate. ONE THING. And that's to go against Obama on every. single. thing. These crooks we have in Congress have only one agenda. They refuse to work for the people out of the spite and hatred they have for our president. Thoroughly embarrassed to be an American. Because body cameras and more training for police are the right thing to do here and everyone knows it. This is how they react to common sense solutions. But you can't reason with the unreasonable and those who have no common sense...

Right-Wing Media React To Obama's Modest Police Training Plan With Outrage, Deflection

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/12/02/right-wing-media-react-to-obamas-modest-police/201739

Conservative media outlets attacked President Obama's proposed plan for $263 million in funding for police training and body cameras following the police shooting of Michael Brown, accusing Obama of blaming police instead of focusing on issues affecting the black community. But research has shown that the use of body cameras has decreased civilian complaints and the use of force by police.
    We are getting camera's in Shitcago in 60 days. I can't freakin wait for the world to see The behavior of typical ghetto society. I can already hear the racebaiters in my town complaining about how it makes their people look bad and you can't show the General public that. Ignorance is bliss people. That is a saying that meant shit to me till I got on the job, but trust me...you do not want to know what Police officers see day in and day out. But you will now so enjoy one of the biggest shit-shows on earth brought to you by The Entitlement capital of the world. Perhaps after people see this behavior voters will be forced to realize that in order to get yo free stuff, (rent, food, cellphone, transportion, the list goes on and on) you have to pass a drug test. But I have been told that is racist too.
    i can't wait for the world to see cops who talk about people the way you do. all it will do is expose something that most of us already suspect. i worked at a school in oakville and the resource cops there routinely referred to a group of black students as T-Dog, Booboo, and Pookie...
    Funny you should bring that up on talking all street to students and youths. I worked at ORR and Marshall High Schools for years on the wild wild westside of Chicago. I always hated when I had to talk in a way they would understand me and believe it or not gain their respect. I am sure you did the same being a teacher in what i assume was the hood of St. Lousey.
    I guarantee they thought you were lame and patronizing if you thought you had to "talk hood" for them to understand and respect you.
  • Options

muskydan said:

dignin said:

Exactly! Antagonistic and aggressive behavior will be seen and recognized and the disrespect for authority might start to make sense to those who have never run afoul of the authorities.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

I guarantee they thought you were lame and patronizing if you thought you had to "talk hood" for them to understand and respect you.
    I love it when someone who lives Amish country tells me about my job in the big bad city…..there has got to be some urban educators out there who know what I am talking about. We often befriend the gangbangers who decide to go to school for a day here and there to get intel on various gang wars and such. Some of my best CI's to this day have come from working the high schools. And its all do to learning some street...
  • Options
    Anyone else in favor of creating a muskydan me myself and I thread? I think it would benefit us all to hear all his life experiences and perspectives wrapped up in one thread. It would be my honor to create it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The trajectories of the last two bullets show convincingly that Brown was already down when Wilson administered these coup de grace shots. Yet the grand jury was never told in detail about the bullet trajectories and what they indicate. (read further)
    No pathologist bothered to state that the back to front forearm wound may line up with the front to back upper arm wound on Brown proving that his right arm was in the air with his hand at shoulder level when he was shot at 15 ft away.

No pathologist bothered to then state that Brown was not just falling down, but nearly on the ground when the last two shots were fired and Brown was 8-10 feet away from Wilson. Wilson admitted that he “sited . . . [Brown’s] head . . .” and fired and the trajectory of the last two shots was (A) through the forehead down through the cheek and out the jaw proving top of head down towards toes trajectory and (B) through top of head with towards toes trajectory.

http://drlindashelton.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/how-why-is-darren-wilson-guilty-of-manslaughter-in-killing-michael-brown/
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    That was a great movie and song, I would be honored. As I have said a few times already, the truth hurts, nobody ever wants to hear truth, especially in my business…all we want is the truth right??? Why is it that some people cannot handle opinions that are the complete opposite of others on here?? Isn't that what this country and PJ music is all about? I have been entertained daily by many posts on here.
  • Options

dignin said:
    Not even close.
    how so not even close??

the rams are standing in solidarity with a minority who was murdered by a government employee. i can see the similarity.
    One features an Olympic hero demonstrating strength against Aryan ideology. A classic social moment at a most important time.

The other features some athletes standing in solidarity with a criminal 'murdered' after trying to assault a police officer. A misguided attempt that tried to speak for a very appropriate cause... using the wrong case to do so.
    you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the protests in ferguson are about. it is not just this one single case. hands up don't shoot is a movement against police brutality nationwide. the rams are standing in solidarity with people worldwide who are opposing and resisting police brutality.
    I get the idea. The Brown incident is clearly the catalyst for this change effort though and I just think they are using the wrong incident to serve as the flagship for such a movement.

There's clearly a need for the police to exercise better restraint, however... I'm not sure restraint should be demanded if they are being assaulted. Wasn't it established that Brown actually didn't have his hands up? Weren't the shots taken as he was facing Wilson and, according to the findings, running at him.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

I love it when someone who lives Amish country tells me about my job in the big bad city…..there has got to be some urban educators out there who know what I am talking about. We often befriend the gangbangers who decide to go to school for a day here and there to get intel on various gang wars and such. Some of my best CI's to this day have come from working the high schools. And its all do to learning some street...
    I understand you to some degree. Have been a prison gaurd in the past in always in inter-racial schools. Sometimes you have to find some "middle ground" to make that connection.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

That was a great movie and song, I would be honored. As I have said a few times already, the truth hurts, nobody ever wants to hear truth, especially in my business…all we want is the truth right??? Why is it that some people cannot handle opinions that are the complete opposite of others on here?? Isn't that what this country and PJ music is all about? I have been entertained daily by many posts on here.

Actually, I like your posts.

You and I should get together this weekend and have a few drinks. Then we can go out and hang out at Food for Less.

We can keep track of how many assholes pay with their link card.
    Then drive away in their $30,000 car.

Hahaha

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Will Michael Brown's stepfather be charged with inciting a riot?

Damn, I sure hope so!
  • Options

muskydan said:

You and I should get together this weekend and have a few drinks. Then we can go out and hang out at Food for Less.

Hahaha

Link cards and $30k cars versus $4.3 billion for program 1033!

• Options
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

I agree 100% with the drug testing comment.

You and I have to get drug tested in order to work.
    The food stampers should be drug tested too.
  • Options

muskydan said:

Hahaha

first drink in a bag is on me
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Did you read about the 5 rascals in St. Louis who beat the Bosnian guy with hammers?
    Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm
  • Options

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Did you read about the 5 rascals in St. Louis who beat the Bosnian guy with hammers?
    Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm
    and how come that crime gets nowhere near the attention as the police officer who was doing his job?

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm
    and how come that crime gets nowhere near the attention as the police officer who was doing his job?

My husband mentioned that this morning (can't remember on which site he saw it) and was reminded of Reginald Denny during the 1992 riots. Haven't seen anything when I checked the news today.

Just sad.

• Options

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm
    That was a tragedy….And of course it was, but they will never charge those little darling with such a charge.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm
    That was a tragedy….And of course it was, but they will never charge those little darling with such a charge.
    Just poor misguided youth.
    Who never really had a chance in life.

Yeah right.
  • Options
    On Saturday, MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell reported that the St. Louis assistant prosecuting attorney handed the grand jury a 1979 Missouri statute that justified the use of force if a suspect was attempting to flee from police. The statute was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1985.

O’Donnell said of the mistake by the prosecution:

"She was handing them something that had not been the law in Missouri during her entire legal career. But it was very helpful to officer Darren Wilson that the assistant district attorney handed the grand jury an old, unconstitutional law, which said incorrectly that it is legal to shoot fleeing suspects simply because they are fleeing. By handing the grand jury that unconstitutional law, the assistant district attorney dramatically lowered the standard by which Darren Wilson could be judged."
  • Options
    AMY GOODMAN: Continuing tactics that sprouted up last week, demonstrators blocked roads in D.C. and other cities, leading to arrests. As the "Hands Up Walkout" took place nationwide, some of the movement’s key leaders were not out in the streets but inside the White House. President Obama’s guests on Monday included seven young activists who have helped organize the protests in Ferguson and in other communities of color. One of those activists joins us now from Washington, D.C. Ashley Yates is an activist, poet and artist raised in Florissant, Missouri, a member and co-creator of Millennial Activists United, and among the group of activists who met with President Obama at the White House on Monday. Ashley, welcome back to Democracy Now! Can you talk about what happened at that meeting?

ASHLEY YATES: What happened at the meeting, Amy — thanks for having me once again. What happened at the meeting was very frank conversation from young activists such as myself who have been on the ground. Four of us from Ferguson, three of us from around the nation — New York and Miami. And we just had really frank conversation but what’s been happening on the ground in Ferguson and around the nation in general and our experience about being black and brown in America and what that really looks like on a day-to-day basis in real time. the president was very receptive and was open and willing to hear our experiences and really get that viewpoint from the other side.

AMY GOODMAN: What did you tell the president, Ashley?

ASHLEY YATES: I told the president, myself, the reason that I know that this movement has to be maintained. I gave him a very personal story about why I continue to do this work, why I am so committed to this work. My family is a large part of that. In particular, one of my younger cousins, who is a very fast runner and less to run everywhere, and I looked the president in his eye and said, I do this because I want to make sure that unlike Tamir Rice and unlike Trayvon Martin and unlike Mike Brown, my little cousin can make it home safely.

AARON MATÉ: Ashley, what were the policy prescriptions that you offered to the White House on Monday and what’s your response to those that they announced; the task force, the tightening slightly of the rules for giving military equipment to police forces, and the body cameras to police?

ASHLEY YATES: Well, the steps that they introduced yesterday are just that, they’re steps, right? They have to lead to something. So, we laid on the table what we’ve said from day one, that 1033 as a program needs to be abolished. There is no reason that our local law enforcement should have military weapons. And especially in the way in which they’ve been using them. They were given as weapons in order to fight terrorism, but they are the ones in acting terrorism upon our communities, therefore, they have proven that program is not effective. And not only is it not effective, it’s being used to oppress American citizens, so it needs to be stripped away.

So, the step that they took yesterday to actually monitor the program, which should have been done in the first place right? But to actually monitor it, that’s a step. We do have to have some accountability as to how these weapons are being used on our American citizens, but we have all seen it. We saw it for the last 115 days in Ferguson. So, to me, that monitoring has been occurring for 115 days. So, now we have to see accountability and we need to see those stripped away. So, that is a step towards progress, but we need to see more, and that’s why we continue. This movement does not stop.

The body cameras? Once again, a step. But, cameras didn’t save Tamir Rice. Cameras didn’t save John Crawford. They didn’t make sure that John Crawford saw justice. So, we know that while that is a step towards ending this real problem, the real root of it has to be addressed. And the real root of it is racism in America. The anti-black sentiments that exist. And we have to have a cultural shift. It’s the reason why Darren Wilson is able to get in front of a grand jury and say that he saw a young black boy as a demon and people can accept that. We have to address why that is reality in our community, and until we begin to address that we really can’t have any real change, and all we have is these small steps towards justice, but we need leaps and bounds.

AMY GOODMAN: Ashley, your response to the grand jury decision and to Darren Wilson resigning from the Ferguson police force?

ASHLEY YATES: Darren Wilson should not have been an able to resign. He should have been fired over 100 days ago. Also, he is resigning a much richer man. It is profitable to kill a black boy. Not only is a profitable, but you get away scott free, as we saw with the grand jury’s decision not to indict him. It’s absolutely heartbreaking, and that’s why we continue to do this work, because like we have said time and time again —

AMY GOODMAN: Explain what you mean by he retired — he resigns as a much richer man.

ASHLEY YATES: I think it is pretty public knowledge that he — there are several people who set up a GoFundMe for him, which is a reason why I don’t support that site. They set up a GoFundMe, he raised over $500,000, and there is also speculation out there that the interview he did, he also received some attention for. But, we definitely know that there is money being put into his pocket from several different places, and the only reason is people are supporting him throughout this. The only thing we know about him is that he killed a black boy. He has been scrubbed clean. Meanwhile, Mike Brown has been demonized in the media, and they’ve done everything they can to dehumanize him and defame his character. So, like I said, it’s absolutely heartbreaking that this can occur in America. It is absolutely heartbreaking that we didn’t see justice in this case. It’s absolutely heartbreaking that I had to sit in front of Lesley McSpadden and watch her breakdown because she had an expectation that the American justice system would work for her family, and it didn’t. So, we continue to do this work so we don’t have to see another family go through that.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
  • Options
    One week after the grand jury decision in the Michael Brown case, President Obama has given his first major policy response to the protests from Ferguson and beyond over racial profiling and police brutality. At a meeting with activists and officials from around the country, Obama unveiled a process to address what he called "simmering distrust." The administration’s response comes as protests continue nationwide over the non-indictment of former officer Darren Wilson over killing Brown. On Monday, demonstrators walked out of workplaces and classrooms in some 30 cities with their hands raised, the symbol of Brown’s death and the movement that has emerged since. As the "Hands Up Walk Out" took place, some of the movement’s key leaders were not out in the streets but inside the White House. Obama’s guests included seven young activists who have helped organize the protests in Ferguson and in other communities of color. We are joined by one of those activists: Ashley Yates, an activist, poet and artist who is co-creator of Millennial Activists United. "While that is a step towards ending this real problem," Yates says of Obama’s reforms, "the real root of it has to be addressed. And the real root of it is racism in America, the anti-black sentiments that exist. Until we begin to address that, we really can’t have any real change — all we have are these small steps towards justice. We need leaps and bounds."
  • Options
    hedonist said:

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm

My husband mentioned that this morning (can't remember on which site he saw it) and was reminded of Reginald Denny during the 1992 riots. Haven't seen anything when I checked the news today.

Just sad.

The young rascal who hit Denny with the brick?
    After being released early for good behavior.

He was charged with the murder of a drug dealer.
  • Options
    "If poor people knew how rich rich people are, there would be riots in the streets," Chris Rock said in a recent interview with New York magazine.

The multi-millionaire comedian pointed out that poor people would be particularly shocked if they knew all the perks rich people get for being rich.

"If the average person could see the Virgin Airlines first-class lounge, they’d go, 'What? What? This is food, and it’s free, and they… what? Massage? Are you kidding me?'" he said.

If you have never flown Virgin Airlines first class (or first class at all, for that matter), these lounges of which Rock speaks are where "Upper Class passengers" can kick back with some "amazing food, fantastic facilities and a chilled out atmosphere," according to the Virgin website. At London Heathrow Airport, the Virgin lounge has a spa and showers.

Virgin Atlantic didn't respond to The Huffington Post's requests for comment.

Lavish air travel is just the start. Rich people often get paid to wear jewelry. They get paid to lose weight.

They're given free laptops and TVs. They also get paid thousands of dollars to just show up at clubs.

They get gift bags just for attending big award shows, bags filled with goodies worth $20,000 -- which is more than a full-time minimum wage worker earns in a year. Their kids' birthday parties have corporate sponsors.

The divide between the haves and the have-nots is nothing new in America, but in recent decades that gap has been getting wider as the middle class shrinks and the very richest Americans keep getting richer. Meanwhile, economists are warning that the world is heading toward Gilded-Age levels of inequality unless we do something to stop it. It's already worse than most of us realize.
  • Options
    Joining the St. Louis Rams in their Sunday protest to stand in solidarity with demonstrators in Ferguson, Mo., members of Congress took to the House floor to broadcast their “Hands Up!” gesture and speak out against police violence.

The four individuals, all members of the Congressional Black Caucus, raised their hands, palms out, to show the world the sign of surrender that has become synonymous with Michael Brown Jr.’s death. Brown was said to have his hands in the air when he was shot dead by police officer Darren Wilson.

http://globalgrind.com/2014/12/02/congress-silent-protest-house-floor-hands-up-ferguson-photos/?utm_source=Twitter
  • Options

muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hahaha

Beat him to death.

Was that a hate crime?
    Hmmmm

Hate crime or not, thats a major false equivalency, civilian on civilian crime is not the same as an incident involving an agent of the government paid to protect.
    Fox news has been harping on this, riling their racist fan base, which is their prerogative, but the two cases are wholly unrelated and not worth comparing.