Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    I wonder what any law abiding citizen who was armed would have done if they encountered this young man and he decided to take a swing at them. Probably the same thing.

Asides from the kid getting shot. Robbed a store, badgered the person behind the counter, then resisted arrest. Did he forget he was living in the states?

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options

I wonder what any law abiding citizen who was armed would have done if they encountered this young man and he decided to take a swing at them. Probably the same thing.

Asides from the kid getting shot. Robbed a store, badgered the person behind the counter, then resisted arrest. Did he forget he was living in the states?

Had the owner of the convenience store shot michael brown?

There would have been no charges filed and he would be considered a hero in many people's eyes.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    These "demonstrators" really have no clue what a grand jury is or does. Either that, or this really has nothing to do with the incident in question.

A grand jury is comprised of citizens (not part of the government or police establishment) who are paid very very little to hear evidence and decide if there's enough of a case to send it to trial. They had to know that if they, after hearing the evidence, decided not to indict, there would be ramifications like this. Yet, they did so anyway. They could have decided to indict and let it play out in court and washed their hands of the whole thing. That tells me that there really just wasn't enough evidence against the officer.

How can you protest a grand jury's decision? It makes no sense.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

These "demonstrators" really have no clue what a grand jury is or does. Either that, or this really has nothing to do with the incident in question

agreed, and I will end it with that.

Godfather.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Maybe these thugs should go home and see about getting a job or some other constructive activity to fill the obvious void in their shallow petty crime lives.

+1

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    know1 said:

These "demonstrators" really have no clue what a grand jury is or does. Either that, or this really has nothing to do with the incident in question.

A grand jury is comprised of citizens (not part of the government or police establishment) who are paid very very little to hear evidence and decide if there's enough of a case to send it to trial. They had to know that if they, after hearing the evidence, decided not to indict, there would be ramifications like this. Yet, they did so anyway. They could have decided to indict and let it play out in court and washed their hands of the whole thing. That tells me that there really just wasn't enough evidence against the officer.

its pretty short sighted to look at this as just about the grand jury. This isnt even just about MB
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    rgambs said:

know1 said:

its pretty short sighted to look at this as just about the grand jury. This isnt even just about MB
    Then why don't you enlighten me? Perhaps you didn't notice that the second sentence of my post said that if they do understand what a grand jury does, then the protests must be about something else.

But....it was the grand jury decision that triggered the protests, so that's why I'm asking.

And again, it's silly to protest the decision of a group of citizens who are just doing their civic duty.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    That's because some are turning it into more Gambsy.I think police brutality and racially inspired harassment is what they are demonstrating against right?That is such a small amount of actual officers it's ridiculous.So I think it's more about just protesting then actual substance.Lots of smoke no fire.
  • Options
    anybody ever see a riot over a black cop killing a white man ? or a black cop killing a black man ? this whole mess is about race I don't care what the media says or anybody else and we here on the train wonder why race is still an issue in this country.

Godfather.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,418

anybody ever see a riot over a black cop killing a white man ? or a black cop killing a black man ? this whole mess is about race I don't care what the media says or anybody else and we here on the train wonder why race is still an issue in this country.

Godfather.

There is still some measure of protest when a black cop shoots and kills. At that point is stays strictly as a cop out to get blacks vs White cops being racially motivated etc.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    muskydan said:

JC29856 said:

mickeyrat said:

JC29856 said:

jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

Wilson and Brown are about the same height and weight 215 vs 290, Wilson is aiming a gun at Brown
    Wilson says......."I keep back peddling because I know that if he reaches me he will kill me"

Well, Brown outweighed Wilson, and Wilson had already taken a beating from Brown when the jackass leaned into the car and started punching him. So Wilson already experienced Brown's strength and aggression. Why wouldn't he be scared? Besides, you yourself said "Wilson does look like a total wuss." Brown probably thought so, too.
    but im smart enough to know not to mess with a weasel with a gun, their more inclined to shoot! only wusses need guns, i prefer hand to hand combat, i hunt with a bow, like a real man.
    real man hunts with his hands.

i tie my own flys? does that count
    So we do have something in common other that Pearl jam.
    musky we prob have alot in common, problem is the ruling elite would rather divide us so we can argue about blue vs red white vs black and etc in hopes we never realize that we are their indentured servants.

anyway speaking of what we have in common, we prob both like to masturbate, so in an attempt to provide some perspective on masturbation and why these criminal thugs are rioting how about this... if you an i were to masturbate once a day for 7 days, how many black people would have been killed by cops when we were done masturbating at the end of the week?

speaking of masturbating, while i was parting just this morning i was thinking about the often heard comment "well these cops have to be safe, they have to make sure they go home to their families" now ignoring that the criminal thugs prob have families to go home to too (whos your daddy!, whos your daddy! now ill ask the yankees whos your big papi!) i thought of the joke.... i went to my doctors to complain that when i lift my arm i get a sharp pain and the dr says, well dont lift your arm (da da dum!) when i finished, i made the correlation with a jockey friend of mine who asked, i dont like dirt kicked in my face and i dont like falling off of horses, horses are tall and i cant get hurt falling off of the horses, i have family. so i told him the dr joke and said maybe you shouldn't be a jockey!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,791
    ejleonjr said:

So 12 people looked at Forensic evidence, and listened to eyewitness accounts of what happened. Correct?
    And based on all the FACTS that they were presented, they decided that there would not be any indictments. Correct?
    According to witnesses and the police officer, Michael Brown was the aggressor. Correct?

And because of this. Because of the fact that the officer did his job, protected himself from some THUG who tried to take away his weapon, who then charged the police officer......

Because there was NO REASON to file charges against a police officer who was doing his job.

Because of this..

The THUGS of Ferguson decided they need to burn down the city?

I just don't get it.
    And I never will.

I totally get you. Im sick of watching all these protests. A guy robs a store, intimidates the employee while putting his hands on him, disobeys a police officer, assaults a police officer, and with a gun pointed at him and after being shot/shot at continues after the police officer. He is shot, killed, and because he is black he is a victim. All these protests are essentially saying its okay to violate society and then claim to be a victim. Really pathetic.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The fact that he robbed a store and assaulted a police officer is rarely mentioned in this whole thing. That is just brushed under the rug. What a joke.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Over 60 people arrested here last night/this morning. Sitting and jumping on police cars, blocking a freeway again, general assholeness.

Screw the term "thugs" - I call them fucking idiots.
  • Options
    i posted this previously...no mention about the contraband rate versus the arrest rate. although more white are found with contraband 34% compared to black 21% the arrest rate nearly doubles white arrest rate 5% to black 10%
    http://ago.mo.gov/VehicleStops/2013/reports/161.pdf

if you need cute little charts to "figure out numbers and what there for" then look here
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/10-insane-numbers-ferguson-killing

here is a cute little interactive arrest rate map for you
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/18/ferguson-black-arrest-rates/19043207/

like they say cops and numbers never lie
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,184
    I've been reading a lot of the grand jury transcript....it seems like the most relevant witnesses were in vehicles that had stopped due to the police car blocking the road. Definitely a few matching accounts saying that Brown turned and moved toward the officer while the officer was saying "Stop".

I can see the reasoning behind the decision....but damn could the whole process have been handled any worse?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    rgambs said:

i am not saying it doesnt apply, that these people arent thugs by definition. I am saying, as others have, that it is a word that is disproportionately used for black people and it's overuse contributes to racial issues.

Thanks gambs, I don't see how people can't see the word being co-opted in a racist way. And when they use it they should be aware of that fact. It's all context.

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2014
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:
    You've been imploring people to keep the integrity of this thread intact, then you offer something completely irrelevant (to this case... but not your agenda).

What are you trying to say?

This has already been presented in the MT by the way. Brutal beyond belief.
    Maybe i should have added "reading comprehension" to my early post.

Let's do this, you tell me what you take away from that link to story, then I'll tell you what i took from it and explain why it's relevant to this thread.
    Before you add it... make sure you read it and benefit from it yourself.

You never included this part of my response which you quoted: You've been imploring people to keep the integrity of this thread intact, then you offer something completely irrelevant (to this case... but not your agenda).

The link which has nothing at all to do with the Brown case was offered without any commentary or explanation- just spit out on the thread.

I read the tragic story (a few days back actually... it was already contributed to the MT). I'm curious to know exactly what you're getting at by offering it in the Brown case. In other words... spell your agenda out.

With that said, I know why you might be reluctant to do so given the last time you flaunted your viewpoint on Wilson... it was shattered. And you've been eating crow for a few days as a result (well... actually you haven't... you still persist).
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I've been reading a lot of the grand jury transcript....it seems like the most relevant witnesses were in vehicles that had stopped due to the police car blocking the road. Definitely a few matching accounts saying that Brown turned and moved toward the officer while the officer was saying "Stop".

I can see the reasoning behind the decision....but damn could the whole process have been handled any worse?

i agree, could you, having read the testimony, say that he was charging wilson thou, and without the context of the bullets its hard to tell if the shots caused him to fall forward. i havent gone thru all 72 witnesses testimony but i can say from the testimony falling stumbling forward doesnt equate to charging.
    still lets assume a total thug robber unarmed who is shot at least twice is charging an officer, the question is do you shoot to kill or shoot to apprehend?
    oh well he doesnt have time its split second he cant worry about shooting to apprehend... then why chase after him, wilson said all he needed was 30 seconds for other cars to arrive.
  • Options
    dignin said:

rgambs said:

i am not saying it doesnt apply, that these people arent thugs by definition. I am saying, as others have, that it is a word that is disproportionately used for black people and it's overuse contributes to racial issues.

Thanks gambs, I don't see how people can't see the word being co-opted in a racist way. And when they use it they should be aware of that fact. It's all context.

Context is an interesting word you chose.

The term 'thug' (see definition in earlier post) was used to describe the individuals directly involved in the looting and rioting in Ferguson.

I can think of over a dozen legitimately offensive racist terms reserved for black people. 'Thug' is not one of them and never will be.

I have asked you twice now... what term should Speedy have used to adequately describe the 'thugs' which wouldn't hurt anybody's feelings?
  • Options
    one of my favorite parts of DWs testimony is when he says "it seemed like MB was getting mad as i shot him" really?

made me think of this........remember pauly in rocky 3 to apollo when clubber lang is beating the piss out of rocky, apollo "hes getting killed in there" pauly grabs apollo "no no hes not getting beat, hes getting mad!"
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

muskydan said:

JC29856 said:

mickeyrat said:

JC29856 said:

jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

Wilson and Brown are about the same height and weight 215 vs 290, Wilson is aiming a gun at Brown
    Wilson says......."I keep back peddling because I know that if he reaches me he will kill me"

Well, Brown outweighed Wilson, and Wilson had already taken a beating from Brown when the jackass leaned into the car and started punching him. So Wilson already experienced Brown's strength and aggression. Why wouldn't he be scared? Besides, you yourself said "Wilson does look like a total wuss." Brown probably thought so, too.
    but im smart enough to know not to mess with a weasel with a gun, their more inclined to shoot! only wusses need guns, i prefer hand to hand combat, i hunt with a bow, like a real man.
    real man hunts with his hands.

i tie my own flys? does that count
    So we do have something in common other that Pearl jam.
    musky we prob have alot in common, problem is the ruling elite would rather divide us so we can argue about blue vs red white vs black and etc in hopes we never realize that we are their indentured servants.

anyway speaking of what we have in common, we prob both like to masturbate, so in an attempt to provide some perspective on masturbation and why these criminal thugs are rioting how about this... if you an i were to masturbate once a day for 7 days, how many black people would have been killed by cops when we were done masturbating at the end of the week?

speaking of masturbating, while i was parting just this morning i was thinking about the often heard comment "well these cops have to be safe, they have to make sure they go home to their families" now ignoring that the criminal thugs prob have families to go home to too (whos your daddy!, whos your daddy! now ill ask the yankees whos your big papi!) i thought of the joke.... i went to my doctors to complain that when i lift my arm i get a sharp pain and the dr says, well dont lift your arm (da da dum!) when i finished, i made the correlation with a jockey friend of mine who asked, i dont like dirt kicked in my face and i dont like falling off of horses, horses are tall and i cant get hurt falling off of the horses, i have family. so i told him the dr joke and said maybe you shouldn't be a jockey!
    If these criminals have families to go home to, then they should probably not venture out and do criminal activities- they should venture out to their jobs.

The amount of disrespect you have shown cops on these pages has officially become brutal.

* On a more positive note... here's an idea: why not develop a Math textbook with your creative word problems?
  • Options

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:
    You've been imploring people to keep the integrity of this thread intact, then you offer something completely irrelevant (to this case... but not your agenda).

What are you trying to say?

This has already been presented in the MT by the way. Brutal beyond belief.
    Maybe i should have added "reading comprehension" to my early post.

Let's do this, you tell me what you take away from that link to story, then I'll tell you what i took from it and explain why it's relevant to this thread.
    Before you add it... make sure you read it and benefit from it yourself.

You never included this part of my response which you quoted: You've been imploring people to keep the integrity of this thread intact, then you offer something completely irrelevant (to this case... but not your agenda).

The link which has nothing at all to do with the Brown case was offered without any commentary or explanation- just spit out on the thread.

I read the tragic story (a few days back actually... it was already contributed to the MT). I'm curious to know exactly what you're getting at by offering it in the Brown case. In other words... spell your agenda out.

With that said, I know why you might be reluctant to do so given the last time you flaunted your viewpoint on Wilson... it was shattered. And you've been eating crow for a few days as a result (well... actually you haven't... you still persist).
    I will try again... open up 2 windows if you can, 1 window with the original story you read elsewhere and the second with the story in my link, then compare the 2, side by side if you have to.
    then compare what the cops claimed in story 1 and what the official account is in story 2.
    even more specifically focus on "reaching for gun" and "pointing gun" and the "distance of cop".
    let me know what you find...

as for the quotes, i just click the quote option for reference, i dont control what appears from my clicking.
    i will not address the crow or the agenda part other than to refer you to a previous post regarding george carlin.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    It's as ugly in HERE as in Ferguson!! Honestly, I've already stated where I stand on this issue, and am glad that Officer Wilson was not reprimanded for defending himself. The honest to God answer here is in the link that Mickeyrat shared.. Take some mother fucking responsibility for YOUR OWN actions. Do want to face police brutality, don't out yourself in a position that you have to be approached by law enforcement. Don't want to go to jail, quit committing crimes. Don't want to be a statistic, change your life positively! And don't say it can't be done! I've LIVED in these ghettos.. I KNOW ghetto life, and I've seen people work their asses off to get themselves and their families out of there!! It CAN be done! What's the difference between one person who succeeds and another person whom fails?? Choice! We all make choices every single day!!

YOU are responsible for YOUR EVERY thought, action and impositions! Choose widely my friends, choose wisely.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

i agree, could you, having read the testimony, say that he was charging wilson thou, and without the context of the bullets its hard to tell if the shots caused him to fall forward. i havent gone thru all 72 witnesses testimony but i can say from the testimony falling stumbling forward doesnt equate to charging.
    still lets assume a total thug robber unarmed who is shot at least twice is charging an officer, the question is do you shoot to kill or shoot to apprehend?
    oh well he doesnt have time its split second he cant worry about shooting to apprehend... then why chase after him, wilson said all he needed was 30 seconds for other cars to arrive.
    But if he did assault the officer I can see where he would take shots to apprehend as he was fleeing. Why the kid would have turned and run/advanced toward him is a mystery. It does still bother me that Johnson said that Brown was walking toward him to surrender but that doesn't really jive with some other eyewitnesses.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    There may have been enough evidence for an indictment because indictments are the normal result of a grand jury. I don't believe there was enough evidence for a conviction at trial.

I wouldn't blame the prosecutor's timing or his speech for the riots in Ferguson. That was going to happen either way.

And the "thug" argument is one I've heard before and is no less weak. We refer to hockey enforcers and soccer hooligans - both predominantly white groups - as thugs all the time...because they are. As is anyone who burned a business or vandalized a police car or threw a bottle, etc. White, black or brown, it applies to all. The word is appropriate because the description is spot on.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    — noun

a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
    ( sometimes initial capital letter ) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.
    Origin: 1800–10; < Hindi thag literally, rogue, cheat

— Related forms
    thug·ger·y , noun
    thug·gish, adjective
    There ya go. End of conversation.. Nowhere in the definition does it say race other than to note a particular groups of heinous criminals in India.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    the thugees or tugees were a cult of native thieves in British colonial India that would trick wealthy travelers into letting them join their caravans and then they would strangle them, cut open their bodies and throw them down wells. They are one of the first recognized murder cults in the world. I have an excellent book on them.

As far as the modern word "thug" used as a racial slur. I believe that someone before mentioned that it was popularized by 2Pac in the 90s. This is accurate. Not sure if it is equal to calling someone the N-Word.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    unverified reports that GJ witnesses secretly had pending charges dropped. im not believing this for 1 second. prosecutor mccsweaty is beyond stupid (or genius depending on what you believe) but he isnt that stupid. cmon to trade junk testimony for dropping charges!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie.html
  • Options