Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,478
    edited November 2014
    At the end of the day a young man was murdered and yes he was not an exemplanary citizen probably far from it but still didn't deserve to die the way he did !! & yes all the other protest are totally against cops agression all across the nation ....Rest assured the police in Ferguson won't be enjoying their Turkey dinners tomorrow .....
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001

Would there have been rioting and looting, in celebration, had there been a murder indictment against the officer?

I believe so, yes.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

At the end of the day a young man was murdered and yes he was not an exemplanary citizen probably far from it but still didn't deserve to die the way he did !! & yes all the other protest are totally against cops agression all across the nation ....Rest assured the police in Ferguson won't be enjoying their Turkey dinners tomorrow .....

who deserves to die ? in most cases we make choices that can end tragicly, it would have been unfair for the officer to die in the line of duty or the store clerk to die while being robbed.

Godfather.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,667
    edited November 2014

I just completely don't understand this viewpoint. At least you acknowledge that Brown was a criminal but even still it is ignored in your conclusion that he didn't deserve to die that way. Sure, his actions of stealing some food/whatever, walking down the middle of the street and then punching a police officer doesn't warrant a death penalty in court (when the situation is over), but in the heat of the moment when he is punching a police officer and the officer fears for his safety there seems to be some justification for the shooting and responsibility on Brown's part.

I would be all for putting a cop in jail who kills or beats an innocent person who follows the officer's instructions, but using this Ferguson situation as a reason to hate cops is unbelievable. The guy freaking assaulted a cop. The cop took him down. It is like the protesters looting and burning buildings in efforts to protest the police. Um...that is going to create a bigger police presence.

I've been pulled over by the police at least 10 times for speeding. I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic, and wasn't endangering me or anyone else. But, I didn't get an attitude with the cop or punch the cop, I listened to the officer and gave them my driver's license and registration. The cops gave me a ticket and I drove off. The cop lived. I lived. It is SIMPLE not to be killed by a cop. 99.99% of the population seem to manage to do it.

I once even had five squad cars surround my car because I was sitting with friends waiting for a buddy to come out and the neighbor thought we were going to steal a car. The cop even drew a gun. Guess what...we all lived because we listened to the officer and didn't assault them.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

I just completely don't understand this viewpoint. At least you acknowledge that Brown was a criminal but even still it is ignored in your conclusion that he didn't deserve to die that way. Sure, his actions of stealing some food/whatever, walking down the middle of the street and then punching a police officer doesn't warrant a death penalty in court (when the situation is over), but in the heat of the moment when he is punching a police officer and the officer fears for his safety there seems to be some justification for the shooting and responsibility on Brown's part.

I would be all for putting a cop in jail who kills or beats an innocent person who follows the officer's instructions, but using this Ferguson situation as a reason to hate cops is unbelievable. The guy freaking assaulted a cop. The cop took him down. It is like the protesters looting and burning buildings in efforts to protest the police. Um...that is going to create a bigger police presence.

I've been pulled over by the police at least 10 times for speeding. I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic, and wasn't endangering me or anyone else. But, I didn't get an attitude with the cop or punch the cop, I listened to the officer and gave them my driver's license and registration. The cops gave me a ticket and I drove off. The cop lived. I lived. It is SIMPLE not to be killed by a cop. 99.99% of the population seem to manage to do it.

I once even had five squad cars surround my car because I was sitting with friends waiting for a buddy to come out and the neighbor thought we were going to steal a car. The cop even drew a gun. Guess what...we all lived because we listened to the officer and didn't assault them.
    Hey what can i tell you i see things differently than you i don't believe this kid deserved to die the way he did i'm just a bit tinsie winsie skeptical of the cops story , you believe it to be completly true ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,418
    maybe an answer si to , along with a requirement of taser use first , add in rubber bullets to incapacitate first before blood is shed in a tense quickly evolving situation. ALONG WITH BODY CAMERAS!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

Hey what can i tell you i see things differently than you i don't believe this kid deserved to die the way he did i'm just a bit tinsie winsie skeptical of the cops story , you believe it to be completly true ....

This is a huge problem that will never be overcome in the US I don't think. I am not referring to you specifically Jose, but the distrust of the police in certain communities is both warranted and very detrimental to both groups involved. It is also damaging to a community to trust the law enforcement agencies too much. Skepticism is necessary, unfortunately for many it has turned into full on "never going to trust". I fear that it will never get better and when the media paints this as white v black it doesn't help any overcome that either...
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,667
    edited November 2014

I just don't have sympathy for someone who robs a store and punches a police officer. I am sure both versions of the story have truths and lies, but both seem to include someone punching an officer so by default I will side with the officer's account. You choose to give the benefit of the doubt to the criminal. I would want you on my jury if I ever committed a crime.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    body cameras for all active patrol cops
    this needs to happen yesterday

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

This is a huge problem that will never be overcome in the US I don't think. I am not referring to you specifically Jose, but the distrust of the police in certain communities is both warranted and very detrimental to both groups involved. It is also damaging to a community to trust the law enforcement agencies too much. Skepticism is necessary, unfortunately for many it has turned into full on "never going to trust". I fear that it will never get better and when the media paints this as white v black it doesn't help any overcome that either...
    I agree ......
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I agree with cameras being on cops. Unfortunately, I don't think that would have save Michael Brown. I wouldn't give a fuck if there was a camera mounted on me if I was being attacked by that guy. It sure as hell wouldn't have stopped Brown from punching Wilson.
  • Options

I just don't have sympathy for someone who robs a store and punches a police officer. I am sure both versions of the story have truths and lies, but both seem to include someone punching an officer so by default I will side with the officer's account. You choose to give the benefit of the doubt to the criminal. I would want you on my jury if I ever committed a crime.
    Believe what you want to believe .....
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014
    mickeyrat said:

maybe an answer si to , along with a requirement of taser use first , add in rubber bullets to incapacitate first before blood is shed in a tense quickly evolving situation. ALONG WITH BODY CAMERAS!!!!

And not aiming for the heart when shooting! If they have to shoot, do NOT SHOOT TO KILL, shoot to capture and keep the guy alive.

The thing about cameras… well, they would be police property, and unless they are asked to be used as evidence, the police dept owns them, so that means they can use them to their discretion… not the public's...
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

And not aiming for the heart when shooting! If they have to shoot, do NOT SHOOT TO KILL, shoot to capture and keep the guy alive.
    Wilson shot this guy 5 times and he was still coming towards him. The 6th shot was the kill shot. I'd say he was shooting to injure. Brown kept coming. At some point, there has to be a kill shot. If Brown stops charging towards Wilson at any point, he'd probably still be alive. He had several chances to stay alive.
  • Options
    Why It’s Impossible to Indict a Cop

It’s not just Ferguson—here’s how the system protects police.

http://www.thenation.com/article/190937/why-its-impossible-indict-cop
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    lolobugg said:

Agreed. We have the technology to bake accountability into the jobs of people responsible for answering the question of who lives and who dies, from time to time, and the reticence to disseminate these technologies is inexcusable. If funds are an issue, re-allocate some of the budget from the military and let them struggle with the cutbacks.

What's nice about always-on body cameras is that they provide impartial evidence, and promote accountability from both assailants and defendants. The only people that should see them as a bad thing are the people who want no accountability for their actions, and if a member of the police force feels that way, he or she shouldn't be on the police force at all.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

At the end of the day a young man was murdered and yes he was not an exemplanary citizen probably far from it but still didn't deserve to die the way he did !!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    benjs said:

lolobugg said:

Agreed. We have the technology to bake accountability into the jobs of people responsible for answering the question of who lives and who dies, from time to time, and the reticence to disseminate these technologies is inexcusable. If funds are an issue, re-allocate some of the budget from the military and let them struggle with the cutbacks.

What's nice about always-on body cameras is that they provide impartial evidence, and promote accountability from both assailants and defendants. The only people that should see them as a bad thing are the people who want no accountability for their actions, and if a member of the police force feels that way, he or she shouldn't be on the police force at all.
    well said... as usual

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

mickeyrat said:

Wilson shot this guy 5 times and he was still coming towards him. The 6th shot was the kill shot. I'd say he was shooting to injure. Brown kept coming. At some point, there has to be a kill shot. If Brown stops charging towards Wilson at any point, he'd probably still be alive. He had several chances to stay alive.
    Are you kidding. 5 shots hit him and he didn't slow at all. If that were true, all the officer had to do was back up and let him fall on his own. But he didn't. He kept shooting. To kill.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,184
    edited November 2014
    http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/26/7295595/eyewitnesses-ferguson-grand-jury

Interesting chart and commentary at link

When asked if Brown had his hands up when being shot at 16 witnesses said yes...2 said no

Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    mickeyrat said:

Yep...and perhaps make the requirements to become a Police Officer a bit tougher.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014
    benjs said:

lolobugg said:

Yes, unless the police dept uses the cameras
    benjs said:

lolobugg said:

Yes, but that's if the police dept is honest… The cameras would ultimately be police property. If they aren't required by a lawsuit to use the cameras as evidence, the dept can use the cameras -or not use the cameras - any way they please.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

The only certainty that you possess is that neither party is trustworthy, and yet you've picked a default side?

As for "both versions" of the story: which "both versions" are you referring to? The one that the deceased supposed-assailant delivered (presumably through a ouija board)? I haven't read any account other than the police officer's which claimed there was a punch, and without a non-police officer account mentioning that, it seems fairly arbitrary to pick a side.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

Are you kidding. 5 shots hit him and he didn't slow at all. If that were true, all the officer had to do was back up and let him fall on his own. But he didn't. He kept shooting. To kill.
    I didn't say it didn't slow him down. I said he kept coming towards Wilson. Brown had several opportunities to stay alive from the time Wilson told him to get off the street to the final head shot.The first 5 shots were not kill shots. At some fucking point Brown has to be held accountable for not listening to what the police officer was saying. Wethaer you like or respect cops or not, you still have to listen to them. If you don't think that's accurate, next time you get pulled over, tell the cop to go fuck himself when he asks you for your license and registration.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317

mickeyrat said:

I hear Michael Brown turned into a 'demon', I'm kinda shocked any amount of bullets took him down.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

I didn't say it didn't slow him down. I said he kept coming towards Wilson. Brown had several opportunities to stay alive from the time Wilson told him to get off the street to the final head shot.The first 5 shots were not kill shots. At some fucking point Brown has to be held accountable for not listening to what the police officer was saying. Wethaer you like or respect cops or not, you still have to listen to them. If you don't think that's accurate, next time you get pulled over, tell the cop to go fuck himself when he asks you for your license and registration.
    And police should be held accountable for killing a person when it wasn't absolutely necessary. If he was hit 5 times, he was injured. Undoubtably. Anyone knows that if you get hit with a bullet, you are injured. All you need is time before you drop to the ground.

I thought police were humane, but not if they get kicks out of shooting a man 6 TIMES. To kill. Not to injure and capture.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

And police should be held accountable for killing a person when it wasn't absolutely necessary. If he was hit 5 times, he was injured. Undoubtably. Anyone knows that if you get hit with a bullet, you are injured. All you need is time before you drop to the ground.

I thought police were humane, but not if they get kicks out of shooting a man 6 TIMES. To kill. Not to injure and capture.
    They are held accountable when they illegally kill someone. Police are allowed to kill people. Wilson killed this guy legally and under proper protocol by which he was trained. That's why he will not be charged with any crime. It's real easy for all of us to sit back and criticize how a high stressed, life threatening situation should have been handled when it's not our life on the line.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Commentary strictly commentary

This tread is specifically about the Michael Brown shooting? Do you think the anger and frustration displayed in Ferguson last night is about Michael Brown? Do you think the protests from across the nation city to city are specifically about Michael Brown or about something bigger? We can argue the opinions all we want with very little introduction of facts about Michael Brown we can argue statistics about black on black crime we can argue about racism about thugs and what the word really means but simply put people shouldn't be getting shot and killed LEGALLY in a Wal-Mart for holding a bb rifle, pre teens shouldn't be getting shot and killed for playing with a bb gun at a playground, people shouldn't be getting shot in the back and killed for running from a off duty police officer, people shouldn't be getting shot and killed LEGALLY because a cop was scared. Argue all you want. If you are on here arguing over Mike Brown then you don't get it, all the evidence and in the world all the statistics in the world and no amount of posts or threads will help. If you are on here arguing that cops should be allowed to LEGALLY kill people with impunity then although you may be on the right side of the law you are on the wrong side of RIGHT and the wrong side of HISTORY.
    Commentary post

There was no reference... to comparative rates of masturbation between black and white men... or trying to find his retainer...in that post (i edited out the beginning) I typed this early this morning after getting back from the PHL protests, I felt inspired by democracy in action plus I had to use the bathroom. (i typed and posted while I was on the toilet, I do some of my best thinking there)

:))

It's the shower for me- I'm a freakin' Einstein in there! Like I said... it was 'back there' among all your other posts (I spent some time digging around for it instead of paraphrasing it and possibly ruining the integrity of it when I wrote my last post).

I answered your question though. Do you care to elaborate?
    Elaborate on what?
    Is this a Jedi mind trick?

You asked a question. I answered with my opinion. I thought you might care to offer your perspective given you had sought to initiate a discussion by asking the question.

Was your question rhetorical? Never mind. Don't answer. I think it's best we just leave it right where it is.

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

Yes, unless the police dept uses the cameras
    benjs said:

lolobugg said:

Yes, but that's if the police dept is honest… The cameras would ultimately be police property. If they aren't required by a lawsuit to use the cameras as evidence, the dept can use the cameras -or not use the cameras - any way they please.
    Sorry, I guess I should have been more pedantic. I specified "always-on" body cameras, and thought that would be sufficient, but needless to say there would have to be standard policies set in place. Some suggestions:

1) A standard wide-angle lens would be required on the cameras, centred forward, whose activation would be automated.
    2) As you mentioned, they would be required to use the cameras as evidence during a lawsuit.
    3) Off-site, as well as on-person, storage for camera footage would be required, so as to prevent tampering with footage. Footage should remain off-site for a standard length of time (say, two weeks post-recording), until its deletion if no footage has been requested. The only exception to the automatic deletion should be that, if footage has been requested, the footage should remain until the contentious footage request has been withdrawn, and the case deemed closed by both members on and off the police force.

EV
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

ask any lawyer what they think of that idea...sorry guy's but I would say 99.99999% in a self defense situation it's shoot to kill, why ? because dead people don't lie.

Godfather.

P.S. yes I left that wide open.