Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    So 12 people looked at Forensic evidence, and listened to eyewitness accounts of what happened. Correct?
    And based on all the FACTS that they were presented, they decided that there would not be any indictments. Correct?
    According to witnesses and the police officer, Michael Brown was the aggressor. Correct?

And because of this. Because of the fact that the officer did his job, protected himself from some THUG who tried to take away his weapon, who then charged the police officer......

Because there was NO REASON to file charges against a police officer who was doing his job.

Because of this..

The THUGS of Ferguson decided they need to burn down the city?

I just don't get it.
    And I never will.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dignin said:

It`s the context and more and more the word is being subverted by a certain dynamic to mean a ``black male``

You guys are being naive to think otherwise.

Sorry. You're wrong.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    dignin said:

It`s the context and more and more the word is being subverted by a certain dynamic to mean a ``black male``

You guys are being naive to think otherwise.

No, I'm not being naive. The definition of a thug is a violent criminal. Not a black violent criminal. So thug can be used to describe Michael Brown. It can also be used to describe the rioters of Ferguson. They are violent criminals, white or black.

The n word is in a class by itself, for good reason. Its a despicable word. People can't just throw words in that class because they get offended.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Then why is it almost always used to describe a black male (question mark quit working)
  • Options
    http://www.salon.com/2014/10/02/ted_nugent_unloads_on_african_american_“thugs”_in_horribly_racist_column_about_ferguson/

Ted Nugent unloads on African-American “thugs” in horribly racist column about Ferguson
    The right-wing celebrity embarks on another racist rant, denouncing a (nonexistent) "plague of black violence"

Rocker, right-wing polemicist, and Republican campaigner Ted Nugent has launched yet another racist tirade, penning a column in which he assails “Ferguson thugs” and a purported “plague of black violence” and demands that African-Americans stop supporting liberal politicians.

Nugent’s latest racist outburst – which comes after the entertainer called our first African-American president a “subhuman mongrel” and defended the South African apartheid system and the use of the n-word – arrived in the form of his column for far-right website WorldNetDaily.

He begins his column by noting that a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri was recently shot as he investigated a break-in. (Officials have said that the shooting was unrelated to protests over the August shooting of unarmed black teen Michael Brown by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.) Nugent wonders why “the media have made it a point not to describe the suspect or suspects the police are searching for,” and then proceeds to draw his own conclusions about the suspects.

“Based on crime stats in Ferguson and elsewhere,” Nugent writes, “it would be a safe bet to assume the two thugs the police are looking for are black males between the age of 15 and 25.”

And because a right-wing rant about race would be incomplete without deploying stereotypes, he goes on to predict that “the two thugs being searched for were raised by a single parent, have criminal records, are high school dropouts, don’t have jobs and are very likely to be members of a gang.”

Nugent seizes on the episode to denounce the “plague of black violence [that] has infested our inner cities” (despite media hype, no such plague exists). The acclaimed sociologist then asserts that “Fedzilla’s welfare crack programs” are responsible for African-Americans’ grievances, since they’ve engendered “dependency.”

He chose not to dwell on police officers’ wanton shooting of unarmed black men; widespread, racially discriminatory policies like redlining that have cut African-American families off from resources, jobs, and social networks; or the persistence of economic and employment discrimination against black people. No, “killer” liberalism is the real problem, Nugent concludes, and only by renouncing it will African-Americans finally see their lot improve.

Such a blatantly bigoted analysis, which betrays a fundamental ignorance of how oppression works in 21st-century America, would be easy to dismiss as the asinine worldview of a marginal crank – if it weren’t shared by so many on the American right.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Then why is it almost always used to describe a black male (question mark quit working)

It's used to describe thugs.

When the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup, 'thugs' was the word of the day describing the predominantly white people rioting in downtown Vancouver- it was the most accurate descriptor given the behaviour.

You don't want to be called a thug? Don't act like one.

What's next? Punks?
  • Options
    dignin said:

Every black male is being called a thug? Or are you hearing Michael Brown being referred to as a thug? Or the rioters in Ferguson? I'm not hearing people describe black people in general as thugs. I'm not hearing it on the news, here, or on FB.
  • Options
    dignin said:

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/02/ted_nugent_unloads_on_african_american_“thugs”_in_horribly_racist_column_about_ferguson/

Ted Nugent unloads on African-American “thugs” in horribly racist column about Ferguson
    The right-wing celebrity embarks on another racist rant, denouncing a (nonexistent) "plague of black violence"

Rocker, right-wing polemicist, and Republican campaigner Ted Nugent has launched yet another racist tirade, penning a column in which he assails “Ferguson thugs” and a purported “plague of black violence” and demands that African-Americans stop supporting liberal politicians.

Nugent’s latest racist outburst – which comes after the entertainer called our first African-American president a “subhuman mongrel” and defended the South African apartheid system and the use of the n-word – arrived in the form of his column for far-right website WorldNetDaily.

He begins his column by noting that a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri was recently shot as he investigated a break-in. (Officials have said that the shooting was unrelated to protests over the August shooting of unarmed black teen Michael Brown by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.) Nugent wonders why “the media have made it a point not to describe the suspect or suspects the police are searching for,” and then proceeds to draw his own conclusions about the suspects.

“Based on crime stats in Ferguson and elsewhere,” Nugent writes, “it would be a safe bet to assume the two thugs the police are looking for are black males between the age of 15 and 25.”

And because a right-wing rant about race would be incomplete without deploying stereotypes, he goes on to predict that “the two thugs being searched for were raised by a single parent, have criminal records, are high school dropouts, don’t have jobs and are very likely to be members of a gang.”

Nugent seizes on the episode to denounce the “plague of black violence [that] has infested our inner cities” (despite media hype, no such plague exists). The acclaimed sociologist then asserts that “Fedzilla’s welfare crack programs” are responsible for African-Americans’ grievances, since they’ve engendered “dependency.”

He chose not to dwell on police officers’ wanton shooting of unarmed black men; widespread, racially discriminatory policies like redlining that have cut African-American families off from resources, jobs, and social networks; or the persistence of economic and employment discrimination against black people. No, “killer” liberalism is the real problem, Nugent concludes, and only by renouncing it will African-Americans finally see their lot improve.

Such a blatantly bigoted analysis, which betrays a fundamental ignorance of how oppression works in 21st-century America, would be easy to dismiss as the asinine worldview of a marginal crank – if it weren’t shared by so many on the American right.

So if Ted Nugent called these cop killers were 'assholes' or 'scumbags'... would you make the same argument?

And it's Ted Nugent, man. Who cares? As the last post suggested, this was the first time I have heard the term 'thug' to describe the rioters in Ferguson. I thought nothing of it because those people are thugs.

If not, what exactly are they? What's the politically correct term you and Richard Sherman would feel better hearing?
  • Options
    So Ted Nugent wasn`t using the term in a racist context. And if you go back in this thread Thug is used a lot. Also Trayvon Martin and Sherman were called thugs among many other high profile black males when they were no such thing. Why is that

http://politicalblindspot.com/the-racist-origins-of-the-term-thug-and-how-it-relates-to-the-trayvon-martin-shooting/

The Racist Origins of the term “Thug” and How It Relates to the Trayvon Martin Shooting

Throughout the Trayvon Martin trial – and to be sure it was Travyon Martin who was put on trial for his own death, not George Zimmerman – many Caucasian supporters of Zimmerman used the term “thug” casually to describe the 17 year old honor student, Trayvon Martin.

Why was Martin a “thug”? Because he had a picture of a gun and marijuana smoke on his Facebook page. Of course, they never knew that in the beginning, but once they found out this convenient bit of information, they quickly absorbed it into the narrative of Zimmerman’s stalking of the youth.

Never mind that millions of Caucasian teens have pictures of guns on their Facebook page, and they are just considered “country” or part of “gun culture.” Never mind the fact that the vast majority of Caucasian teens have smoked marijuana. When it is a 17 year old honor student, he is a “thug,” even when he is armed only with a cell phone, Skittles, ice tea and the color of his skin…

The late, great, social activist and commentator Tupac Shakur explained what “thug” meant to him, understanding that this term was used in a very racial context in the United States. Take a listen to his poignant words at the Indiana Black Expo, in 1993:

When I say ‘Thug Life,’ I mean that shit
    Cause these white folks see us as thugs
    I don’t care what y’all think
    I don’t care if you think you a lawyer, if you a man, if you an ‘African-American’
    If you whatever the f*ck you think you are
    We thugs and n*gg@s to these motherf*ckers…

Tupac was right. When it comes to many “white folks” and certainly the vast majority of Zimmerman’s defenders, any African American youth who represents cultural norms of dress, music, speech, or anything else that makes them uneasy, is a “thug.” When Trayvon Martin is seen as a “thug” for wearing a hoodie, and walking home to watch a game with his family, then it is clear that “thug” needs racially unpacked.

To be clear, the term “thug” is racial in origins. That is to say that its use by Europeans very quickly became absorbed as racial – racist – slang.

The word tuggee (ठग्गी) comes from Hindi thag ‘thief’, from Sanskrit sthaga ‘scoundrel’, from sthagati ‘to conceal’. It was an Indian network of secret fraternities, cult-like in many ways, who were engaged in robbing and killing British colonialist. To the British, any brown-skinned face that they saw on the road, or in their imagination, was a “thug” coming to get them, while they innocently made their way through the lands they exploited and colonized.

This is the origin of the term “thug”, as many Indian words passed into common English during British Imperial rule of India. British colonists, however, did not refer to other European imperialists as “thugs,” it was specifically a term in British parlance for the dark skinned “natives” that they feared.

Today, the term is applied to any African American who a Caucasian is afraid might rob them, rape them, kill them, or – in the case of George Zimmerman, burglarize houses in the neighborhood his future step-mother lived in.

To racists in America today, a Trayvon Martin with Skittles, ice tea and a cell phone is a “thug”; Amadou Diallo with keys in his hand is a “thug,” and if you are African American, the message is clear, your children are “thugs”. America sent a message with the Zimmerman acquittal. That message is that if you are suspected of “thuggery” you are guilty until proven innocent. Your very appearance, your Facebook images, your toke of marijuana makes you guilty of a capital offense. It seems that Tupac had it right all along.
  • Options
    Some blacks may be called 'thugs'... but it is not a term exclusive to the black race. I'm just not buying it. The next time Vancouver experiences a riot, I'll likely be calling the rioters 'thugs'. The next time a group of purple people jump some guy... I'll be calling them thugs.

Anyways, this argument isn't worth the time. Before we completely digress... if you were correct and I am wrong... exactly what is the term Speedy should have used in lieu of 'thugs' to describe the unruly in Ferguson?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The late, great, social activist and commentator? Nice stretch. 2 Pac was a thug. He was a violent criminal.

Thug is not the n word and I will continue to use it. Like I said earlier, the n word is in a class all by itself. Thug isn't in that class. It's not even in the same school.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Commentary strictly commentary
    I read thru these posts and continue to see evidence referred to but i rarely see the actual evidence in the post. Where are the posts about the differences of events as described by Wilson in his interview and then the details in his GJ testimony. I read about thug and criminal and never read about Wilson coming from a disbanded police force, how he made illegal arrests or how he illegally failed to file a police report. What exactly makes someone a criminal? Is it breaking the law? Do laws not apply to police officers?

This tread is specifically about the Michael Brown shooting? Do you think the anger and frustration displayed in Ferguson last night is about Michael Brown? Do you think the protests from across the nation city to city are specifically about Michael Brown or about something bigger? We can argue the opinions all we want with very little introduction of facts about Michael Brown we can argue statistics about black on black crime we can argue about racism about thugs and what the word really means but simply put people shouldn't be getting shot and killed LEGALLY in a Wal-Mart for holding a bb rifle, pre teens shouldn't be getting shot and killed for playing with a bb gun at a playground, people shouldn't be getting shot in the back and killed for running from a off duty police officer, people shouldn't be getting shot and killed LEGALLY because a cop was scared. Argue all you want. If you are on here arguing over Mike Brown then you don't get it, all the evidence and in the world all the statistics in the world and no amount of posts or threads will help. If you are on here arguing that cops should be allowed to LEGALLY kill people with impunity then although you may be on the right side of the law you are on the wrong side of RIGHT and the wrong side of HISTORY.
    Commentary post
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

JC29856 said:

JimmyV said:

Did Anonymous ever post the supposed connections between Wilson and the KKK?

No, they backed off because the information was too specific and the source(s) feared that the Klan would narrow down to who was the informant. They say they do have other links but need to protect there sources, it will take them 2 weeks to figure out how best to reveal ties. The information links both newlyweds to kkk.
    Pretty damning charge to toss out there and then not substantiate. Anonymous has informants? I thought they were hacking the Klan and that was how they came by the information.

Substantiation coming in due time. They hack, they get tips, they collect info then vet it before going public.

• Options
    edited November 2014

JC29856 said:

JimmyV said:

Did Anonymous ever post the supposed connections between Wilson and the KKK?

No, they backed off because the information was too specific and the source(s) feared that the Klan would narrow down to who was the informant. They say they do have other links but need to protect there sources, it will take them 2 weeks to figure out how best to reveal ties. The information links both newlyweds to kkk.
    local radio was saying wilson wrote a thank you letter that allegedly thanks people with klan ties. i have not researched it myself since i just got home from work. just stating what local radio said.
    I can assure you the link kkk to DW is not a thank you note for raising money. It maybe corroborating evidence but certainly not the link. There are links between DW but there is stronger evidence linking his new bride.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    Jc, if you're asking for a copy and paste form of the facts that came directly from the GJ report, sorry, I'm not doing that. It's a pain in the ass to cut n paste on a phone. The facts that I have discussed really aren't in question. Fact, Wilson asked/told Brown and his friend to move to the sidewalk. Fact, Brown slammed Wilson's car door shut and lunged into Brown's vehicle, assaulting him in the process. Fact, Wilson shot from his vehicle. Fact, Brown started to run away and Wilson gave chase. Fact, Brown turned back around and proceeded towards Wilson. Fact, the fatal shot occurred 8-10 feet away from Wilson.

I see no reason to cut and paste that from the official report. Those facts are undisputed. If you want to dispute them, you will have to find evidence to the contrary.
  • Options
    When is a good time to kill? Armed man? Armed with what? Unclear if involved in assault?
    http://m.krdo.com/news/one-person-killed-in-pueblo-officerinvolved-shooting/29934022
  • Options

Jc, if you're asking for a copy and paste form of the facts that came directly from the GJ report, sorry, I'm not doing that. It's a pain in the ass to cut n paste on a phone. The facts that I have discussed really aren't in question. Fact, Wilson asked/told Brown and his friend to move to the sidewalk. Fact, Brown slammed Wilson's car door shut and lunged into Brown's vehicle, assaulting him in the process. Fact, Wilson shot from his vehicle. Fact, Brown started to run away and Wilson gave chase. Fact, Brown turned back around and proceeded towards Wilson. Fact, the fatal shot occurred 8-10 feet away from Wilson.

I see no reason to cut and paste that from the official report. Those facts are undisputed. If you want to dispute them, you will have to find evidence to the contrary.

My post wasn't addressed to anyone specifically and I'm not asking anyone for anything.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    DW now getting secret service protection...his location will continually be monitored and publicised.
  • Options
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    You've been imploring people to keep the integrity of this thread intact, then you offer something completely irrelevant (to this case... but not your agenda).

What are you trying to say?

This has already been presented in the MT by the way. Brutal beyond belief.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

DW now getting secret service protection...his location will continually be monitored and publicised.

His life is in danger. He is actively being threatened by an entire race of people in not just the city he worked in, but from all over the country. (I know not every black person in the US is threatening him). I sure as hell would want security as well. And guess what, so would you.
  • Options

JC29856 said:
    You've been imploring people to keep the integrity of this thread intact, then you offer something completely irrelevant (to this case... but not your agenda).

What are you trying to say?

This has already been presented in the MT by the way. Brutal beyond belief.
    Maybe i should have added "reading comprehension" to my early post.

Let's do this, you tell me what you take away from that link to story, then I'll tell you what i took from it and explain why it's relevant to this thread.
  • Options

So 12 people looked at Forensic evidence, and listened to eyewitness accounts of what happened. Correct?
    And based on all the FACTS that they were presented, they decided that there would not be any indictments. Correct?
    According to witnesses and the police officer, Michael Brown was the aggressor. Correct?

And because of this. Because of the fact that the officer did his job, protected himself from some THUG who tried to take away his weapon, who then charged the police officer......

Because there was NO REASON to file charges against a police officer who was doing his job.

Because of this..

The THUGS of Ferguson decided they need to burn down the city?

I just don't get it.
    And I never will.

I totally get you. Im sick of watching all these protests. A guy robs a store, intimidates the employee while putting his hands on him, disobeys a police officer, assaults a police officer, and with a gun pointed at him and after being shot/shot at continues after the police officer. He is shot, killed, and because he is black he is a victim. All these protests are essentially saying its okay to violate society and then claim to be a victim. Really pathetic.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Just catching the Thug argument here.Are you fucking kidding me that Thug is Rascist? Please guys,just stop the nonsense.Idiots who loot and steal and cause mayhem and vandalize are thugs.Black,white,Latino it Dosent matter they are petty thieves who mostly have at the least daddy issues but most probably are on the receiving end of bad parenting or upbringing.Good people don't loot.Good people don't burn down their neighbors businesses.Good people don't rob stores and try to steal weapons from law enforcement.Only thugs and criminals do that.Color is not a factor in the word.Just like stupid people incite riots and advocate for others to "burn the motherfucker down"
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Maybe these thugs should go home and see about getting a job or some other constructive activity to fill the obvious void in their shallow petty crime lives.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Regarding the thug argument... I'm sorry but when white college students rthey riot in Kentucky or Ohio, or elsewhere from sporting events THUG is not thrown around the same way. Were the pumpkin fest people described as thugs over and over?
    You guys ARE naive and when you overuse thug you put yourself in a class with people like Nugent and muskydan, who throwstereotypes around like it's funny.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    thug
    /THəɡ/
    noun
    noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
    1. a violent person, especially a criminal.
    synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal; More

Wow, I guess I'm really naïve. All this time I thought people who robbed convenience stores and looted liquor stores and beauty salons and committed arson fit the definition.

Moving forward in life I will try to be more sensitive when I talk about scumbags who break the law.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    i am not saying it doesnt apply, that these people arent thugs by definition. I am saying, as others have, that it is a word that is disproportionately used for black people and it's overuse contributes to racial issues.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?