Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    What's the end game here?What are protesters expecting to achieve?How does any of this advance their cause?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,296
    it is just a matter of perspective....

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

it is just a matter of perspective....

Haha I love it!
    And yeah gopros on every cop...keep us safe, keep them honest, keep them safe from false complaints and keep us honest too.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    reminds me of the jeremy video in a way...

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    THE NATIONAL BAR ASSOCIATION RESPONDS TO THE GRAND JURY’S DECISION NOT TO INDICT POLICE OFFICER DARREN WILSON IN THE SHOOTING DEATH OF MICHAEL BROWN

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b

"The National Bar Association is questioning how the Grand Jury, considering the evidence before them, could reach the conclusion that Darren Wilson should not be indicted and tried for the shooting death of Michael Brown."

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999

We have the technology. This should be the norm. It would protect police and citizens alike.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

What's the end game here?What are protesters expecting to achieve?How does any of this advance their cause?

Awareness/Justice.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,655
    edited November 2014
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

Awareness/Justice.
    Agreed, hopefully people learn not to rob stores and antagonize police when approached. Oh wait, you probably meant fuck the police we now live in bizarro world where criminals that assault police are the victims.

As an aside, I went to the store today and paid for my chips and salsa and made it back home alright. I also drove in my lane on the roads. I must be extremely lucky.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

I don't think any of us on either side of this circus would be against this.It should be the norm.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,661
    After last night they've lost me and so many others as far as taking these protests seriously. What are they collectively trying to say? I feel for the people who are actually trying to change something because their voice has been drowned out. Thugs took over last night and now it's people smiling and laughing when they see the camera. What am I watching?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I don't think any of us on either side of this circus would be against this.It should be the norm.
    It's a no-brainer really.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Brown supporters are now just grasping at straws. The eyewitness accounts were unreliable. Many of their stories changed throughout the process. Surprisingly, the credible witnesses were corroborating Wilson's story of events. Again, I'll ask why should Wilson be indicted and charged with murder? Michael Brown assaulted Wilson and tried to take his gun. Wilson's response to that was lawful and consistent with his training. The evidence proves that. Please explain why he is a murderer. Because since the facts have been released, all I'm hearing is how the system is flawed. Sorry, but that's not enough to convince me why he should be charged with anything.

Whatever happened to shooting the guy in the foot? Or leg? I'd like to know why police now go for the heart.
    I'm not sure that ever been SOP for LE. You don't shoot to injure or give warning shots. In the beat of the moment, when you fear your life is in imminent danger, you shoot to kill.
    That officer was hardly defending his life with those very minor face bruises. Aim to kill. That's all that cops are good for. Thanks for clarifying.
    Those very minor face bruises were only to the point in time where lethal force was taken- Brown wasn't finished yet.

Those little bitty wussy wounds could have become much worse and I guess that's what you are implying here? That a cop should have his ass really thoroughly kicked before defending himself from a threat?

Gotcha!
    If you read my posts on the prior page, my point is that police are inhumane if they are aiming for the heart rather than any other body part. They're aiming to kill, not capture a criminal alive.

And speaking of which, psychometric testing reveals cops are just one measurement different than hardened criminals...some are no different. It is no coincidence that the majority of serial killers have at some point tried to join either the military or the police force. This is an actual fact. Same psychology.
    It sounds as if you don't give a shit... but some, such as their wives and children, would say they are working safely. Many cops have died in the line of duty not escalating their response to the intensity the situation demanded from them. What would you say to these fallen police officers? Good job restraining yourself from shooting the guy that ended up killing you!

Have you stopped to think that they wouldn't have to fire their guns at people if the people they are firing at weren't attacking them? Do the criminals they deal with share any responsibility for these situations going badly?

Who attacks a police officer thinking that is going to go well?

Agree.

The guy basically said cops are sociopaths so I don't think anything you say will change his mind. People must think differently. I think it depends on how you feel about personal responsibility. When I read that a person robbed a store, walked down the middle of the street, threw a punch at an officer, and then was shot by the cop I think that makes sense and then click to the next story.
    except that the story about the victim being a party of a strong arm robbery did not come out for days after the attack, and that part of the story had nothing to do with the outcome.
    ... if you're of the frame of mind that Brown, fresh after the robbery, had calmly pushed the incident to the back of his mind and it had absolutely no impact on his behaviour towards the officer you might think this.

I still maintain that Brown had 'insider' knowledge that Wilson didn't account for: Brown had just committed a crime and here was a police officer confronting him.
  • Options

After last night they've lost me and so many others as far as taking these protests seriously. What are they collectively trying to say? I feel for the people who are actually trying to change something because their voice has been drowned out. Thugs took over last night and now it's people smiling and laughing when they see the camera. What am I watching?

Your watching a bunch of misguided 20 something's ,who most have no idea about what the fuck they are trying to say.I believe they are caught up in the moment and energy but lack the real passion or pain to truly be heard or make a difference.A huge waste of resources and first responders time.Kinda upsetting the stupidity.
    If these kids want voices to be heard and stand out and make a difference maybe they should march right over to one of the many looted stores that could go under and are badly damaged and help the owners and members of their community rebuild and put the chaos behind them.Go protect other unaffected businesses.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    dignin said:

THE NATIONAL BAR ASSOCIATION RESPONDS TO THE GRAND JURY’S DECISION NOT TO INDICT POLICE OFFICER DARREN WILSON IN THE SHOOTING DEATH OF MICHAEL BROWN

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b

"The National Bar Association is questioning how the Grand Jury, considering the evidence before them, could reach the conclusion that Darren Wilson should not be indicted and tried for the shooting death of Michael Brown."

It sounds like the president of the bar association has a problem with the decision. Good luck getting those federal charges.
  • Options

I can't believe the amount of distain people have for the police. Yes, there are bad apples in the bunch. Just like there are crooked members of the military, and crooked lawyers, and crooked firefighters. But they are needed. Weather you like them or not, weather they like you or not, they will protect you with their life. The amount of disrespect they are facing these days is absolutely absurd. When somebody breaks into your home what's the first thing you do? Call for the police. You only hope they respond when you're the one in need. I'm not one that thinks respect is automatically given, it is earned. Most cops deserve your respect. They earn it everyday they go on shift patrolling the streets.

maybe to a white man who lives somewhat comfortably in a white suburb somewhere. they don't get involved in the city when black gangs are killing one another.

i would like to see these police go after the white collar criminals on wall street who have fucked every single one of us. but since those wall street guys are not burning things down, they are somehow not a threat to security or something...
    This is a crock of shit.

We have had multiple officers slain in two different provinces in two 'peaceful areas' in the last few months.

White people are capable of killing people just as black people are. And cops are at risk no matter where they work.

Gimmie... you're immersed in a shitstorm right now and you might not be able to see the forest through the trees, but c'mon man. Think of the amount of good police work that happens daily without ant fanfare or recognition... then compare it to the number of incidents such as the Brown incident (which might not be a good comparison given Wilson's ruling).
  • Options

I can't believe the amount of distain people have for the police. Yes, there are bad apples in the bunch. Just like there are crooked members of the military, and crooked lawyers, and crooked firefighters. But they are needed. Weather you like them or not, weather they like you or not, they will protect you with their life. The amount of disrespect they are facing these days is absolutely absurd. When somebody breaks into your home what's the first thing you do? Call for the police. You only hope they respond when you're the one in need. I'm not one that thinks respect is automatically given, it is earned. Most cops deserve your respect. They earn it everyday they go on shift patrolling the streets.

maybe to a white man who lives somewhat comfortably in a white suburb somewhere. they don't get involved in the city when black gangs are killing one another.

i would like to see these police go after the white collar criminals on wall street who have fucked every single one of us. but since those wall street guys are not burning things down, they are somehow not a threat to security or something...
    This is a crock of shit.

We have had multiple officers slain in two different provinces in two 'peaceful areas' in the last few months.

White people are capable of killing people just as black people are. And cops are at risk no matter where they work.

Gimmie... you're immersed in a shitstorm right now and you might not be able to see the forest through the trees, but c'mon man. Think of the amount of good police work that happens daily without ant fanfare or recognition... then compare it to the number of incidents such as the Brown incident (which might not be a good comparison given Wilson's ruling).
    Thirty, I think you or I living in B.C. and Alberta really have no idea what it's like for people living in these places.

The incidents of extreme gun violence here happen rarely. Some of these people live it daily. I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

• Options
    But his point is accurate. Policeman don't seek the public's adoration when they do positive things for the community. And when cops do get recognized for what is considered heroic actions or going above and beyond you find that a lot of people will just say "why are you calling him a hero when he's just doing his job."

You guys want it both ways. You want to vilify guys that you think have broken the law. At the same time, won't recognize all of the good the most police officers do for their communities.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

But his point is accurate. Policeman don't seek the public's adoration when they do positive things for the community. And when cops do get recognized for what is considered heroic actions or going above and beyond you find that a lot of people will just say "why are you calling him a hero when he's just doing his job."

You guys want it both ways. You want to vilify guys that you think have broken the law. At the same time, won't recognize all of the good the most police officers do for their communities.

Thank you, great post.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Is this directed at me?

Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    So I am afraid to look at the news this evening.
    Are the THUGS in Ferguson behaving this evening?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

This speaks to what I was getting at. Thanks.

Police work is dangerous no matter where you do police work.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect an officer of the law to be damned sure he's going to be killed before he can defend himself. The window of opportunity closes fast in a fight. Sometimes it slams shut. Police are trained not to miss that window and it's good they are- I'll take the life of a police officer over a criminal's any time if the criminal has forced the issue.
  • Options
    So last night they looted the liquor store and the beauty salon store(really? hair extensions and weaves?)

What are the little angels up to this evening?
  • Options
    dignin said:

Is this directed at me?

You specifically was not in mind when I wrote that. No.
  • Options
    "The reason it bothers me is because it seems like it's an accepted way of calling somebody the N-word now, it's like everybody else said the N-word and then they say 'thug' and that's fine. It kind of takes me aback and it's kind of disappointing because they know." -Richard Sherman

• Options

dignin said:

Is this directed at me?

You specifically was not in mind when I wrote that. No.
    Ok.

• Options
    dignin said:

"The reason it bothers me is because it seems like it's an accepted way of calling somebody the N-word now, it's like everybody else said the N-word and then they say 'thug' and that's fine. It kind of takes me aback and it's kind of disappointing because they know." -Richard Sherman

Ok, I wont call the little angels THUGS.
    I will refer to them as poor little angels.

• Options
    dignin said:

Seriously?

Thugs has always been a term used to describe... well... thugs. I tend to think of them in European soccer stadiums more than I do anywhere else (although 'hooligans' is the more common term).

So, no, Richard. You can't steal the term 'thug' and make it a racial remark. It's a fitting term for thugs everywhere of every descent. And it most certainly fits the people looting in Missouri right now.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Come on. Thug is now considered the n word? Sorry Richard, I'm not falling for it. Sorry you are offended by the word thug. So it is ok for black people to say it, just not white people? I'm getting tired of every word offending everybody.
  • Options
    It`s the context and more and more the word is being subverted by a certain dynamic to mean a ``black male``

You guys are being naive to think otherwise.