Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    I think for many this grand jury came to be about more than just the incident between Officer Wilson and Michael Brown. It became a referendum on the police response in the days and weeks after the shooting, and on race relations in general in this country. Those remain seperate issues and should have no impact on whether or not Officer Wilson should be indicted.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

rr165892 said:

dignin said:

Browns death is maybe the straw that breaks the camels back, or at least I hope so.

The system is broken.

I'm not saying the system does not have its flaws, but is it possible that the grand jury ruled correctly based on the evidence they had?

I've heard no shots in the back. I've heard Brown attacked several times. I've heard DNA on pants, shirt, and inside car of Wilson's. I've also heard many key witnesses recanted their testimony- saying they were influenced by social media.

They are releasing all the evidence from what I have heard. This should help make things a little clearer, but it really is hard to know what to think given the media playing us like fiddles over the last few months.
    Browns blood is on handle and trigger of Wilson's gun.Ahhhh,how did it get there I wonder without browns hand being on the gun?Must be a conspiracy of the crime scene guys and DA and Police and Grand Jury civilians OR like many on here have stated Brown was at fault.He was criminal who disobeyed and tried to assault a cop and take his gun.Now idiots are burning it all down.Way to shine in the spotlight Ferguson.Classy.Im sure your message just got thru load and clear.....

I haven't seen this blood on handle and trigger evidence? If it was then it proves nothing other then blood traveling to handle and trigger which could have gotten there when Brown pushed the gun away when "Wilson shot in Brown's direction". If Brown's fingerprints or non blood dna which don't splatter and travel were found on trigger and handle then that's a completely different story.
    Quit with the critical thinking.

I realize both of you have had your story straight the moment it broke on twitter. It must be very unsettling to discover your version of what happened wasn't exactly what occurred.

Both of you are reaching. It's possible we have been sold a bill of goods, but knowing what we know... buying the official explanation of Brown's death is a far cry from being asked to buy... say, Steven Biko's official explanation of death.
    And what "story" might that be? I'm pretty sure I haven't had a "story" all along. You are welcome to go back in the thread and find out where I made up a "story" but I think you would be hard pressed.

I have always been sceptical of the police version. But at no time did I say Wilson was guilty or innocent. I have never had my version of the story. I've been trying to stick to the facts all along.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

I seem to recall that you were one of the several outspoken critics of Wilson.

If I'm mistaken then I apologize.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure that your findings will be any different than the grand jury's. If it is, you may be distorting the actual facts. And should we go ahead and indict Wilson for murder because of a police report that wasn't filed in a timely manner?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    How is that Crimp guy a lawyer? "It should be indicted. Because the system is broken!"

Seriously? Indict him because he's a black kid that punched a cop in the face and tried to take his gun. This guy is as bad Sharpton.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Wow, someone else out there with the ability to actually think for themself comes to the same conclusion i did after reading Wilson's story.
  • Options
    Now a question for the blood experts...hopefully cnn fox and other websites already answered this so you can post their version....
    Is the 25 feet away blood, blood spatter, drops of blood, or the blood that flowed out of Brown's body for 4.5 hours it lay there dead? Or a combination....this is for the blood experts!
  • Options
    I don't understand the compassion for this guy. he was a criminal, to the best of my knowledge he wasn't moonlighting as a paramedic or working on a cure for cancer. he was a thug, robbing and terrorizing people. if he wasn't a worthless thief, he'd still be alive, and if he just walked to the damn sidewalk, he would still be alive and likely enjoying his stolen tobacco. gonna take a page from joel osteens book and focus on the positive. Michael brown will never steal from, assault or terrorize another human being again.....ever. I can live with that.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Fuck al sharpton, that is all.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow, someone else out there with the ability to actually think for themself comes to the same conclusion i did after reading Wilson's story.

yeah that's basically my opinion...I tend to side with the police but this one just smells bad

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    From the article:
    But the larger question is, in a sense, simpler: Why?

Why did Michael Brown, an 18-year-old kid headed to college, refuse to move from the middle of the street to the sidewalk? Why would he curse out a police officer? Why would he attack a police officer? Why would he dare a police officer to shoot him? Why would he charge a police officer holding a gun? Why would he put his hand in his waistband while charging, even though he was unarmed?

None of this fits with what we know of Michael Brown. Brown wasn't a hardened felon. He didn't have a death wish. And while he might have been stoned, this isn't how stoned people act. The toxicology report did not indicate he was on PCP or something that would've led to suicidal aggression.
    I never watched the convenience store video until this morning. It clearly shows Michael Brown acting out in an aggressive manner, both in stealing the cigarillos and threatening/pushing the clerk. So as we ask these why questions, we also need to ask why was he doing the things we have video evidence of him doing in the minutes before he encountered Officer Wilson? His behavior is very aggressive on the tape, yet that behavior is almost entirely discounted as a contributor to the incident that follows.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to "indict a ham sandwich." The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.

The system doesn't work.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

The story is a challenging one to believe- but no more challenging than the alternative.

Why is it beyond someone to think Brown was acting brazenly as he just robbed the convenience store? Why is it beyond someone to think Brown could never have been defiant? Why is it beyond someone to think Brown may have felt the need to grapple with the officer thinking he was about to get arrested for his robbery?

This piece offers Brown every bit of credibility it can eke out given the circumstances, while at the same time offers Wilson nothing. Bias here?

And you gloat that the writer of the piece are great thinkers? I would say you're great at convincing yourselves of the things you wish to convince yourself of.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    JC29856 said:

Now a question for the blood experts...hopefully cnn fox and other websites already answered this so you can post their version....
    Is the 25 feet away blood, blood spatter, drops of blood, or the blood that flowed out of Brown's body for 4.5 hours it lay there dead? Or a combination....this is for the blood experts!

What does it matter how long he was there dead? Seriously? It's really irrevelant the amount of time his body is laying there.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

From the article:
    But the larger question is, in a sense, simpler: Why?

Why did Michael Brown, an 18-year-old kid headed to college, refuse to move from the middle of the street to the sidewalk? Why would he curse out a police officer? Why would he attack a police officer? Why would he dare a police officer to shoot him? Why would he charge a police officer holding a gun? Why would he put his hand in his waistband while charging, even though he was unarmed?

None of this fits with what we know of Michael Brown. Brown wasn't a hardened felon. He didn't have a death wish. And while he might have been stoned, this isn't how stoned people act. The toxicology report did not indicate he was on PCP or something that would've led to suicidal aggression.
    I never watched the convenience store video until this morning. It clearly shows Michael Brown acting out in an aggressive manner, both in stealing the cigarillos and threatening/pushing the clerk. So as we ask these why questions, we also need to ask why was he doing the things we have video evidence of him doing in the minutes before he encountered Officer Wilson? His behavior is very aggressive on the tape, yet that behavior is almost entirely discounted as a contributor to the incident that follows.

Yeah it definitely gives some interesting insight. I'm not sure that bridges the gap to threatening a police officer but it's an odd fit no doubt about it.

• Options
    Whether Wilson was right or wrong, there is no excuse for there not to be an indictment and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly does not understand the American justice system.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

How is that Crimp guy a lawyer? "It should be indicted. Because the system is broken!"

Seriously? Indict him because he's a black kid that punched a cop in the face and tried to take his gun. This guy is as bad Sharpton.

No kidding, I am even embarrassed for this family that they are getting legal guidance from a dummy like that.

The one thing he did say that made sense was the Brown family wants to have a new National Law Named after their son where all Law enforcement have to wear Body Camera's. I am all for that. If I had a camera on me the past 10 years of my life working areas 10 times worse than Ferguson, no Police officer would ever have to explain themselves for what they have to deal with and what they do…just play the tape.
  • Options

Whether Wilson was right or wrong, there is no excuse for there not to be an indictment and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly does not understand the American justice system.

This sums it up nicely.

Pretty rare for a prosecutor to be on the side of the accused in a grand jury presentation. Not appropriate in my opinion but maybe I'm missing something.

• Options

This is a valid point. If indictments are almost automatic then this case is an outlier. Very reasonable to question why.

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

??? Please explain what you mean. The "excuse" is that there was insufficient evidence to take this to trial. The grand jury had a lower bar of preponderance of evidence, and the evidence couldn't even meet that low standard, let alone the beyond a shadow of a doubt requirement for the criminal trial. So since I clearly don't understand the American justice system as well as you do, please explain what you mean. Do you mean that the grand jury should have automatically handed down an indictment regardless of lack of evidence, so that it could go to trial? What would have been the point in that?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

I have a clear understanding of the criminal justice system. So please, enlighten me on why there had to be an indictment.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to "indict a ham sandwich." The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.

The system doesn't work.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/ferguson-michael-brown-indictment-darren-wilson/
  • Options

I have a clear understanding of the criminal justice system. So please, enlighten me on why there had to be an indictment.
    The prosecutor clearly had no interest in getting an indictment. This was the most predictable thing from the beginning. The DA clearly didn't want this ongoing case in their community. No one can say there was not enough doubt in what happened to have this be heard by a court.
    jeffbr said:

??? Please explain what you mean. The "excuse" is that there was insufficient evidence to take this to trial. The grand jury had a lower bar of preponderance of evidence, and the evidence couldn't even meet that low standard, let alone the beyond a shadow of a doubt requirement for the criminal trial. So since I clearly don't understand the American justice system as well as you do, please explain what you mean. Do you mean that the grand jury should have automatically handed down an indictment regardless of lack of evidence, so that it could go to trial? What would have been the point in that?
    Oh bullshit. Every prosecutor can get an indictment on anything they want. They didn't want this trial in their community. Period.

The DA doesn't even need a fucking grand jury

Do you know when grand juries don't indict people? When witnesses are being uncooperative likely due to threats

Self defense is an affirmative defense at trial, it is NOT a defense to not being charged with the crime

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The grand jury response doesn't mean the evidence wasn't sufficient....it means 75% of the grand jury didn't believe it was sufficient. Like I said...maybe 8 of the 12 voted to indict, we'll never know.

• Options
    norm said:

The system doesn't work.

Why the use of federal states for a state case

SHOW COUNT: (152) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=92, US=112, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Has it occured to anyone that the prosecution knew he could not get a conviction? If this case did not have the national exposure, the prosecutor probably wouldn't have even presented this to the grand jury. There's no point to go through the process if it's clear no conviction can be attained. But, since this case was such a high profile case, the prosecutor had to take this to a grand jury if for no other reason, cover his own ass.
  • Options

This sums it up nicely.

Pretty rare for a prosecutor to be on the side of the accused in a grand jury presentation. Not appropriate in my opinion but maybe I'm missing something.

Agreed
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited November 2014

The prosecutor clearly had no interest in getting an indictment. This was the most predictable thing from the beginning. The DA clearly didn't want this ongoing case in their community. No one can say there was not enough doubt in what happened to have this be heard by a court.
    jeffbr said:

Oh bullshit. Every prosecutor can get an indictment on anything they want. They didn't want this trial in their community. Period.

The DA doesn't even need a fucking grand jury

Do you know when grand juries don't indict people? When witnesses are being uncooperative likely due to threats

Self defense is an affirmative defense at trial, it is NOT a defense to not being charged with the crime

Ha, ok. So in a post higher up this page you showed federal stats for US grand jury numbers (ie grand juries would indict a ham sandwich), to which you commented that the system is broken, presumably because they just pass these things through. Then when a grand jury actually does its job and examines evidence, weighs it, and makes what appears to be a sound decision you don't like it because the grand jury didn't act as they usually do (ie the way in which the system is broken). Are you being inconsistent?

And do you believe the prosecutor should have just taken the case to trial regardless, even if he believed there was insufficient evidence to get a conviction? Why? That sounds counter-productive, and a waste of time and money. And would likely have prolonged the idiots in the streets.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Ok let's wait until the nyt cnn fox and other website deal with th
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

CNN had the blood spatter chart last night. It exists.

yeah...I just posted it above

Thanks.

ok i know we dont like answering questions and maybe we dont like the asker. but from the nice diagram from nyt. (since we cannot identify the blood as splatter from gunshot, drops from body or blood-run)
    how about these questions i have, why are casing shown beyond browns body? is it common for a casing to travel 25-35 feet? it looks like 6 of the 10 casing are laying past brown. these are just questions from a non gun expert.