Robin Williams dead suicide

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Just watched Live at the Met for the first time. The child saying "fuck it" had me in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDu_gZ_1ZA
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Got this going on tv now - sure been awhile. My goodness, the smiles (understatement) he brings.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    badbrains said:

The jimmy Fallon piece is great. Very fucken cool and perfect for robin.

Yeah, I stayed up to see it because I figured Jimmy would have something good to say. Man, he was on the verge of tears. Well done, Jimmy Fallon.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I thought someone had posted this one though I can't find it right now- bleary eyed and late as it is- so just in case, here's an excellent tribute to Robin by Norm MacDonald:

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/norm-macdonald-may-just-written-best-tribute-robin-williams-yet/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    :-bd

I couldn't even bring myself to include any kind of description with the link, I felt the url itself said it all.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Newch91 said:

Just watched Live at the Met for the first time. The child saying "fuck it" had me in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDu_gZ_1ZA

Classic! What an incredible ball of energy that man was.
    Forgot about this...kind of ironic and bittersweet.

(and just look at that smile at 2:17)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Robin Williams’ wife, Susan Schneider made this statement today on his passing:

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”
    man.....
    Parkinson's on top of everything else...damn.

As someone who lost an uncle to it and whose sister seems to be showing early signs as well...this just adds another level to it all.

Bless his wife for her eloquence in the midst of such loss.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    That Joseph Arthur tribute was great, so moving. And Jimmy Fallon was spot on, holding back his tears.
    Early stages of Parkinson's, that can't have been an easy information to get. My grandfather got Parkinson's in the end, it's a terrible disease.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • So sad. Still can't seem to find the words. What a genius. A terrible loss.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    edited August 2014
    norm said:

anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

that's crazy. a while back i watched bits and pieces of the tv show he was on with sara michelle geller and had actually wondered if something like parkinsons was going on.

i can't bring myself to go back and watch anything yet. it's so sad.

Post edited by shortstack on
    did you see me? i saw you.

norm said:

anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

that's crazy. a while back i watched bits and pieces of the tv show he was on with sara michelle geller and had actually wondered if something like parkinsons was going on.

i can't bring myself to go back and watch anything yet. it's so sad.

I bet when you do, it'll be comfort and smiles (and probably tears). No rules when it comes to grieving, especially for someone essentially a personal stranger yet a beloved companion on our respective rides.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    For those who didn't see it in the Other Music board, Joseph Arthur wrote a tribute song + video for Robin Williams. Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCEL2Bj9n0&feature=player_detailpage

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Anyone else think he was an alien? Fitting his first gig was playing an alien. And the way this guy was wired, doesn't seem to be earthly. Even fucken gorillas loved him.
    See, that's what I think he was...earthly (great term, by the way).

OF us. Differently strung than me - us?

Sure...but to be so relatable and beloved?

Thankful to have had that common thread.

And so beautifully rich in soul. Those eyes.

Same intelligence and mindfulness as those of the apes.

You know, it really is gonna be fucken shitty not having him around to make us laugh. That's my selfish side. That fucker made EVERYONE laugh. Some comedians are off at times, not this guy. He can make a joke out of anything, and I mean ANYTHING. It would've been cool to sit with him one time and just shoot the shit. I dnt think I would've been star struck cuz I dnt think he'd of let me.
    Ya, I think he would of been just easy to hang with. I read that one of his neighbors said he liked to cruse around on his bicycle in the neighborhood- no pretense, just a good and friendly neighbor. Shit, I can't count the number of times this week some image or line of R.W.'s has popped into my head out of the blue and brought any range of emotion with it. What a fucking amazing guy.

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm said:

What do u say to that? PERFECT
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    edited August 2014
    Post edited by northerndragon on
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    my favorite psychiatrist - doctor of mind
    shares a bit of information, 'robin williams & suicide prevention'
    great knowledge here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvnWPV5XkrA&list=UUhNajetgvBcHV9PZ0L6QN6A
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited August 2014
    dang posting links is getting more & more difficult around here
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    This desease is so rampart now and medication has side effects of anxiety so go figure
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Damn. Thanks for sharing this.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    That was just lovely.

Spectacular.
    i frickin love this guy.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce