Options

Robin Williams dead suicide

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited August 2014
    Oh wow, the people who are the most fun for others are often hurting deeply. He seemed he could definitely be manic. Super highs, incredible lows. More proof money can't buy true happiness. RIP. Sad day.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I'm stunned. RIP. :(
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    badbrains said:

Oh captain, my captain:

http://youtu.be/vdXhWS7lLvs

Oh man, one of the most inspiring moments in all of film history.

R.I.P. captain.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    brianlux said:

badbrains said:

Oh captain, my captain:

R.I.P. captain.

That's actually my favorite work he's done. The Fisher King was great too.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,880
    Robin Williams was one of the best… Damn, this really sucks.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options

brianlux said:

badbrains said:

Oh captain, my captain:

R.I.P. captain.

OMG, yes, both of those. Amazing work. And Good Morning Vietnam. And so many others.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

badbrains said:

Oh captain, my captain:

R.I.P. captain.

OMG, yes, both of those. Amazing work. And Good Morning Vietnam. And so many others.

He sure left a legacy of great work for the world to enjoy.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    One of the best Disney song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Op1TaXmCw

Sad end for a great comic

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Very sad. He was great in Good Will Hunting. The mind is so powerful.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Longueuil said:
    Ah, this. One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen - visually and emotionally.

Difficult to grasp that this happened.

I hope his soul is finally at peace (and while I don't believe in heaven, if there is one, there's gonna be a shitload of laughter going on).
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Reading everyone's movie inputs, fuck, this guy really did leave us with a shitload of awesome laughters and emotions. Guy was a genius or as speedy would say, EPIC. And yes, hedonist, if there is a heaven, souls are shitting their pants with laughter as we speak. That is of course if souls "actually" can shit in heaven, or more importantly, I don't want to have to shit if I ever make it into heaven. :D
  • Options
    I'm kind of surprised how this hit me, sitting here wiping tears.

And yet, your shitting-in-heaven comments got me smiling, BB. Thanks :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hedonist said:

It's that Cali gene we share! Glad I could help even if it's just a tiny bit :D
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I thought this was one of those celebrity death hoaxes when i saw the title of the thread. This is fucking tragic. I am stunned.

Clinical depression is a nasty bitch. A really misunderstood bitch that affects all parts of your life. The brain is just another organ; it can get sick like all others. He had battled addiction early in his career - which is common with depression - but had maintained sobriety for long periods - not that it matters either way; another disease that isn't understood or treated as others.Two fucking diseases that I know well and despise.

He was a true genius. They had to do a two hour 'Inside the Actor's Studio' for the first time when he appeared on it about 12 years ago. Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies; I never tire of it. And his first HBO special that ended with a Shakesperian soliloquy left people confused and amazed - it was brilliant. There will never be another Robin Williams - one of a kind.

Dammit.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

hedonist said:

It's that Cali gene we share! Glad I could help even if it's just a tiny bit :D
    Well said you two! Thanks, I needed that. :-)

• Options
    We also need a sling-your-arm-around-your-buddy's-shoulder emoticon.

Since we don't...
    :(|)
    (because RW was one hairy ape of a motherfucker)
  • Options
  • Options
    njnancy said:

He was a true genius. They had to do a two hour 'Inside the Actor's Studio' for the first time when he appeared on it about 12 years ago. Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies; I never tire of it. And his first HBO special that ended with a Shakesperian soliloquy left people confused and amazed - it was brilliant. There will never be another Robin Williams - one of a kind.

Dammit.

I would so love to see what didn't make the cut.

God, what a laugh he had. Like a fucking kid.

Yeah, Nancy...I keep thinking dammit too.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    That was hard news to comprehend. I've never felt this bad about a celebrity death. What a loss. I used to watch Mork & Mindy after school when I was 7/8 years old. His stand up special a few years back made me laugh til I cried. Terrible news. So tragic.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    hedonist said:

njnancy said:

Dammit.

Thanks, your last sentence was comforting. Don't know why. The dammit gene? And calling him just 'hairy' was quite kind of you. :(|)
  • Options
    njnancy said:

hedonist said:

njnancy said:

Dammit.

Thanks, your last sentence was comforting. Don't know why. The dammit gene? And calling him just 'hairy' was quite kind of you. :(|)
    Just a few days ago, I posted on AMT a video of him with Koko (another hairy motherfucker but of the gorilla type).

He actually tickled this beast (at Koko's request!) and made him laugh.

HE MADE A GORILLA LAUGH.

Then the beast took Robin's glasses, smelled them, and put them on.

In the end, neither beasts but simply beautiful demonstrations of soul.

Smelled of Ishmael and I'll always envy this man's humble and funny experience with such a magnificent, intelligent (and HAIRY) creature.

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    It breaks the heart in half having heard about this today. Forever live on in our movies, Robin. Rest in Peace.
    ... you hairy-ass sweaty yetti funny money poopy pants gandolfini weenee meany teeny peeny dicky wicky sticky icky pricky licky head.
    (cries of joy & sorrow over here)
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    I'm just shocked and don't know what to say
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    njnancy said:

hedonist said:

njnancy said:

Dammit.

Here's a heart felt "dammit" and a hug to you both. Good words well said, ladies.

:(|)

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Wow. Stunned. Hard to understand how he could do that but you just never know what might be going on in someone's head no matter how you perceive their life.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,409
    Sad. RIP
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    All six of us in my family were at dinner today wiping away tears. As someone who's suffered from depression in the past, it is a cruel beast that leaves you incapable of focusing on the 99.9% that's great in your life, and makes the .1% feel, to quote Bob Dylan, like a corkscrew to the heart. That's my feeling right now. Robin Williams, thank you for the laughs you provided me with, and I'm sorry the cruel beast won. I hope you find your peace wherever you are.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited August 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNN6FI1Gcr8
    hedonist said:

We also need a sling-your-arm-around-your-buddy's-shoulder emoticon.

Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    benjs said:

All six of us in my family were at dinner today wiping away tears. As someone who's suffered from depression in the past, it is a cruel beast that leaves you incapable of focusing on the 99.9% that's great in your life, and makes the .1% feel, to quote Bob Dylan, like a corkscrew to the heart. That's my feeling right now. Robin Williams, thank you for the laughs you provided me with, and I'm sorry the cruel beast won. I hope you find your peace wherever you are.

Well said. A cruel beast it is. 'a corkscrew to the heart' - leave it to Dylan.