Options

Robin Williams dead suicide

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

I suffered a heart attack on Sunday while swimming but yesterday's news felt so much worse than the pain I was in I've been in hospital since Sunday ...suddenly Williams death made me feel no pitty for my self I'm still alive .....
    RIP Robin

I'm sorry to hijack this Robin Williams thread, but Jose! I'm so sorry to hear that, my friend. I hope you're back on your own two feet without complications shortly.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I went shopping for grocerys today and saw the tabloids' headlines. I'm almost in shock. I loved Robin Williams and his great work. RIP RIP RIP
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    benjs said:

I suffered a heart attack on Sunday while swimming but yesterday's news felt so much worse than the pain I was in I've been in hospital since Sunday ...suddenly Williams death made me feel no pitty for my self I'm still alive .....
    RIP Robin

I'm sorry to hijack this Robin Williams thread, but Jose! I'm so sorry to hear that, my friend. I hope you're back on your own two feet without complications shortly.
    Hey Ben thanks I will be ok what happened to me is nothing compared to what the Williams family has to go thru , RIP Robin ,,,,,
    Suddenly the world just got a little sadder ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    With a bursting personality full of flare, this is why it is so shocking. I used to think about how he seemed to be such an explosive force in so many roles he assumed. He seemed bigger than life. Unrivaled talent. RIP Robin.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    edited August 2014
    If anyone's interested, this is a discussion between Marc Maron and Robin Williams done in 2010. It's about an hour long, and covers a number of topics including his substance abuse and depression.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/remembering_robin_williams
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    So terribly sad. Usually the deaths of famous people don't affect me too much, but this is heartbreaking. :(
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    grooveme said:

So terribly sad. Usually the deaths of famous people don't affect me too much, but this is heartbreaking. :(

l feel the same way.

Was watching the police/coroner speak earlier, and the description of how he was found, the cuts he had, so got to me. Imagining the depths of pain he must've felt...I've had "Release" in my head since seeing that.
  • Options

I have been heartbroken since I heard the news last night. I had just watched Robin play President Eisenhower in "The Butler" the night before. I remember thinking how versatile an actor he is. I watched one of my favorites, Mrs. Doubtfire, through tears today. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited August 2014
    It is kinda strange to me how many tears you can shed for a person that you never really knew. He was just always a part of my life and he seemed like a truly good person. It is so heartbreaking that he felt so alone and lost. I saw this a month or so ago and loved it. If Koko thinks you are okay, then you have to be a really good guy. RIP Mr. Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    benjs said:

By the way... For anyone who wants to develop a bit of an understanding of what the uphill battle with depression is like, I'd strongly recommend the short read "Darkness Visible: A Memoir on Madness", written by William Styron, who shares his experience with those demons so eloquently.

I know the battle, but I will be checking this book out...thank-you.

I was just a little kid who didn't know how to read time when Mork and Mindy was on, apparently, I knew when the show was on, because I would shout 'nanu-nanu!' and run to turn the TV on to watch the show (I kept asking for Mork suspenders too...I finally settled on Popeye ones instead). My heart goes out to his family, may he finally be at peace.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

It is kinda strange to me how many tears you can shed for a person that you never really knew. He was just always a part of my life and he seemed like a truly good person. It is so heartbreaking that he felt so alone and lost. I saw this a month or so ago and loved it. If Koko thinks you are okay, then you have to be a really good guy. RIP Mr. Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs

That shits bat crazy. What a fucken video. The guys not human and the gorilla knows it to lol
  • Options
    I watched this yet again last evening. Not sure which ape I love more :)

By the way, on a very sweet sidenote, I read today about how Koko was a fan of Mr. Rogers, so he was invited to meet with him. Koko had Mr. R remove his shoes, as he saw him do every episode.
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    hedonist said:

By the way, on a very sweet sidenote, I read today about how Koko was a fan of Mr. Rogers, so he was invited to meet with him. Koko had Mr. R remove his shoes, as he saw him do every episode.

image ROFL I love Koko!!
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Good Morning Vietnam Soundtrack ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfApRzyFiGQ#t=151
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    An Evening With Robin Williams. I watched this for the first time tonight and couldn't stop laughing. One of the funniest stand up specials I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FMrjDasBk
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754

RIP Robin

Oh man, wishing you all the best! That's some serious business. Take good care and be well!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    Was just out finishing off the days work and listening to some PJ and along came "Immortality". I never thought about not having Robin Williams in the world let alone hearing this song and feeling the connection there. Must remember all the great work he did and the fact that in time (if not already) the laughs he created will outnumber the tears we shed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    edited August 2014
    By far my favourite actor. The Fisher King, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Awakening, What Dreams May Come, Dead Poets society, and The World According to Garp. If you have not seen any of these movies, please do. You will not be disappointed. I worked on Good Will Hunting, but the day after RW finished. It was the only reason i wanted on that film. Saw it afterward and realized what an awesome piece I was apart of. Im thankful for that. RIP Robin. What beautiful pieces of work you left behind for us. Thank you.
    Post edited by Walking the miles on
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I agree, and I'm not particularly fond of Norm MacDonald's stuff. Damn Ninjas got in here again. Mostly, I think cuz I wasn't expecting that ending.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    A tribute by Tom Riley (actor and producer on Da Vinci's Demons) http://weshedaswepickup.tumblr.com/post/94542390588/o-captain-my-captain I'm sure he's just one of many who feel that way about Robin Williams; it's sad that someone who had such an impact on many lives couldn't get the help he needed.

My boss, a 45 year old father of three, stuck a sign saying 'O Captain, my Captain' on his office door. I almost started to cry when I saw it.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    hedonist said:

Or which one was hairier.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    So sad. Poor guy. RIP Robin.
    Joseph Arthur has penned a lovely tribute poem which he's turned into a song with a lovely montage video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=MBCEL2Bj9n0:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    benjs said:

If anyone's interested, this is a discussion between Marc Maron and Robin Williams done in 2010. It's about an hour long, and covers a number of topics including his substance abuse and depression.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/remembering_robin_williams

morello said:

So sad. Poor guy. RIP Robin.
    Joseph Arthur has penned a lovely tribute poem which he's turned into a song with a lovely montage video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=MBCEL2Bj9n0:

Thank you for posting these links. And I just wanted to add one more....I thought Jimmy Fallon did a nice tribute on his show last night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qquQNxKJxw
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    The jimmy Fallon piece is great. Very fucken cool and perfect for robin.
  • Options

By far my favourite actor. The Fisher King, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Awakening, What Dreams May Come, Dead Poets society, and The World According to Garp. If you have not seen any of these movies, please do. You will not be disappointed. I worked on Good Will Hunting, but the day after RW finished. It was the only reason i wanted on that film. Saw it afterward and realized what an awesome piece I was apart of. Im thankful for that. RIP Robin. What beautiful pieces of work you left behind for us. Thank you.

Yeah, you were part of some beauty there.

And Garp, I just loved that film. I never knew the man personally but that character seemed...him. Then again, most of the roles he played seemed to reflect him - parts of him. The parts that I loved of him.