Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I have a question for the die-hard anti cops in there. I'm referring to the ones who immediately accuse the cops of all wrong doing without any facts and think "scaredy cop" accurately describes their job.
    Police abuse does exist. But at a much smaller level that some of you claim. I have only seen a very small number that I would call a murder, and just as few that I would classify as poor judgment where there was clearly a threat but lethal force was not necessary. You realize there are 600,000 police in this country, and even if you can conjure up 100 cases of unjustified shootings, that is only 0.017% of the force There are probably more NFL players with violent crimes. Do you realize how many teachers get fired every year for improper relationships, far more than that. And that's assuming you can find 100 cases, I bet that number is actually lower than 10 when you consider only 42 unarmed people were shot, and that number includes someone who physically assaults a cop and goes for their weapon. So I think this is a profession that attracts a very large amount of great people, more so than most professions. I doubt any of you fear getting shot at work every day. Your biggest fear at work is probably not beating your record time on "mine sweeper."

So what does it take for you to justify a shooting? I saw some criticize the San Diego shooting. The dude pulled out an item and pretending to shoot cops with it, but yet some here mocked the idea of a "shooting position." Do they need to wait until 2 or 3 cops or dead before they shoot? I've heard if someone pulls a knife why don't they retreat, or if he is going for your gun why didn't they just taser him? With only a few exceptions, nearly every case that has made the news the person either assaulted the cop, went for his weapon, had a weapon, intentionally gave the illusion of a weapon. But many of these were stated as unjustified, racist shootings.

So what does it take for a cop to defend his life? What does it take so his kids can see their dad again? What does it take to ensure the wife has a husband coming home again?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Body cam footage just released of officers opening fire on a vehicle driven by a man with no crimes or warrants.
    He survived but his 6 year old son was murdered because his father dared to place his vehicle in reverse, probably in an effort to comply with officers' unwarranted demands.
    Few is the last name if I'm not mistaken.

Yah. It was a little more than that. He fled from the police and when he reached a dead end... he reversed to begin a new course.

Way to go, Dad. Engage the cops in a game of flee and pursuit with your child in the car.

Cue: "Just let the guy go. Try again later. Why bother enforcing the laws? They aren't meant to be followed anyways. Freedom!" (tactical retreat!)
    Why did they let him flee at all, why didn't they use a bazooka to blow the car up right off the bat? Obey the law! (death penalty for dissenters)
    Lol.

You're classic, man.

You're over in the other thread talking about how lame using sarcastic remarks is and here you are rockin' them!

Well done. Well... freaking... done!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Body cam footage just released of officers opening fire on a vehicle driven by a man with no crimes or warrants.
    He survived but his 6 year old son was murdered because his father dared to place his vehicle in reverse, probably in an effort to comply with officers' unwarranted demands.

Yah. It was a little more than that. He fled from the police and when he reached a dead end... he reversed to begin a new course.

Way to go, Dad. Engage the cops in a game of flee and pursuit with your child in the car.

Cue: "Just let the guy go. Try again later. Why bother enforcing the laws? They aren't meant to be followed anyways. Freedom!" (tactical retreat!)
    Why did they let him flee at all, why didn't they use a bazooka to blow the car up right off the bat? Obey the law! (death penalty for dissenters)
    Lol.

You're classic, man.

You're over in the other thread talking about how lame using sarcastic remarks is and here you are rockin' them!

Yeah, I jumped from there to find the same lame ass shot over here in this thread so I figured, eh, fuck the high road, I will just wallow in the muck with thirtybills
    ;)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2016
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Lol.

You're classic, man.

Yeah, I jumped from there to find the same lame ass shot over here in this thread so I figured, eh, fuck the high road, I will just wallow in the muck with thirtybills
    ;)
    Sure.

I'm the only one around here that uses sarcasm to make a point. Oh wait a minute... even before the over the top comment you made which I referred to... you were busy with the same tactics. Remember this little ditty that didn't exactly tell the whole story and managed to be oozing with sarcasm: "He survived but his 6 year old son was murdered because his father dared to place his vehicle in reverse, probably in an effort to comply with officers' unwarranted demands."

Yah. How dare he, eh? Filthy rotten cop.

Stop patting yourself on the back for being a good boy, RG. Don't talk about 'wrestling with pigs and getting muddy' when you routinely wallow in the mud yourself on your own accord.

And, for the record, you don't see this issue objectively. Just as you fail to see the error of your ways... you fail to see the problem for its entire scope.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Lol.

You're classic, man.

;)
    Sure.

I'm the only one around here that uses sarcasm to make a point. Oh wait a minute... even before the over the top comment you made which I referred to... you were busy with the same tactics. Remember this little ditty that didn't exactly tell the whole story and managed to be oozing with sarcasm: "He survived but his 6 year old son was murdered because his father dared to place his vehicle in reverse, probably in an effort to comply with officers' unwarranted demands."

Yah. How dare he, eh? Filthy rotten cop.

Stop patting yourself on the back for being a good boy, RG. Don't talk about 'wrestling with pigs and getting muddy' when you routinely wallow in the mud yourself on your own accord.

And, for the record, you don't see this issue objectively. Just as you fail to see the error of your ways... you fail to see the problem for its entire scope.
    You may see mocking people from a news story and mocking posters on this forum as equivalent but I do not.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    our police rarely shoot their guns over here in australia that they do put themselves in alot of danger, here they get stabbed, hit or run over its really nuts but at least they dont shoot someone who resists arrest, they just taiser them which is better because they understand that criminal too also have a story possibly disfuntional, im proud of our police and respect them very much..
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

our police rarely shoot their guns over here in australia that they do put themselves in alot of danger, here they get stabbed, hit or run over its really nuts but at least they dont shoot someone who resists arrest, they just taiser them which is better because they understand that criminal too also have a story possibly disfuntional, im proud of our police and respect them very much..

Policing is naturally going to be tougher here than anywhere else due to the massive number of guns on the street and our history of racist divides.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yeah, militarizing them has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Yeah, militarizing them has nothing to do with it.

I have no idea what your ideal world would look like. I have no idea what your current world looks like to you (paranoia ses to be distorting things a bit for you).

The police are your neighbours. They are people... not cyborgs commissioned to take over the country.

Do you think cops should have advantages over the public with regards to equipment? Or would you prefer something like Mexico where the cartels have better weaponry than the police or even the military for that matter?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    End the drug war and you end cartels. Done.

I don't like police. I haven't been shy about it. There's just not much I can say about people that have little regard for shooting others and getting away with it because they have a badge. I won't even begin to go into how much they like shooting dogs. They are scared, they should find others lines of work.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I don't like police. I haven't been shy about it. There's just not much I can say about people that have little regard for shooting others and getting away with it because they have a badge. I won't even begin to go into how much they like shooting dogs. They are scared, they should find others lines of work.

I'd say cautious more than scared. I would be too. Do you think there is a willing and capable replacement pool to pick up the duties and not be scared in the line of duty? Or do you think we should just get rid of law enforcement and make it work?

Ending the drug war would solve problems in America too- I'm with you there.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I think that police are not exactly the cream of the crop to begin with. As I recall there was a study done that they don't want people that are too smart, smarter people questions orders and have critical thinking abilities. They want people that will follow orders without question.

Cautious? Possibly. However I fine it VERY hard to believe that there is this need to shoot dogs. The post office probably can teach police a thing or two on how not to be afraid.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I think that police are not exactly the cream of the crop to begin with. As I recall there was a study done that they don't want people that are too smart, smarter people questions orders and have critical thinking abilities. They want people that will follow orders without question.

Cautious? Possibly. However I fine it VERY hard to believe that there is this need to shoot dogs. The post office probably can teach police a thing or two on how not to be afraid.

My wife delivers mail and has been attacked by a dog and sent to the hospital.

No shit... my son was too when he was very young (hospital)... my daughter (not as serious)... and last summer me (on my mountain bike by a bull mastiff).

I'm not a fan. If one was coming at me looking remotely aggressive... I'd shoot it. I don't need to be bit to discover intent. Neither do cops.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Our mailman won't deliver if there's a stray dog on the street, no matter how small or aggressive it appears. So cops shouldn't respond to calls or crime if a dog can be seen like the post office?
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

JWPearl said:

Policing is naturally going to be tougher here than anywhere else due to the massive number of guns on the street and our history of racist divides.
    Don't forget about the wonderful contributions to society Black Lives Matter has given us and that proven Lie of Hands up Don't shoot horseshit.
  • Options
    I think we need a total overhaul for all first responders. The people who protect us and save our lives should be making more than fucking bean counting suits. On the flip side, they should have to go through training that last longer than cosmetology requirements. 6 months training program and very limited CE is not sufficient by any stretch.

Double the pay.
    Double the training, at least.
    Double the oversight.

If we do those things we would have a hell of a lot less trouble
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I think we need a total overhaul for all first responders. The people who protect us and save our lives should be making more than fucking bean counting suits. On the flip side, they should have to go through training that last longer than cosmetology requirements. 6 months training program and very limited CE is not sufficient by any stretch.

Double the pay.
    Double the oversight.

Well RG...

We've been at each other's throats lately, but I can get behind this idea. It would prove to be beneficial for sure: there are definitely good cops in the current model, but it's fair to say departments are not selecting as much as they are accepting given the need.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Double the pay.
    Double the oversight.

Well RG...

We've been at each other's throats lately, but I can get behind this idea. It would prove to be beneficial for sure: there are definitely good cops in the current model, but it's fair to say departments are not selecting as much as they are accepting given the need.
    I think it's somewhat similar to the Wells Fargo deal, where bad culture within a system tends to seep outward from a few rotten apples and soon the bag is tainted.

It sure would help if we had less poverty and fewer guns on the streets, but those are much more difficult issues to tackle.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,656
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

JWPearl said:

Don't forget about the wonderful contributions to society Black Lives Matter has given us and that proven Lie of Hands up Don't shoot horseshit.
    So, guns don't make us safer?
  • Options
    Not when cops that fear for their lives use them.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Not when cops that fear for their lives use them.

What about all the scaredy cat Cletuses?
  • Options
    Eh, you lost me there. It's been a long week.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Eh, you lost me there. It's been a long week.

You said guns don't make us safer when scared cops walk among us. You say that as if the scaredy cat Cletuses walking among us with their guns are not a risk.
  • Options
    I'm saying there are too many trigger happy cops out that that claim the fear of the lives line so that they can get out of murdering someone.

Very few get charged.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    unsung said:

Glad to see you're not lumping all cops into 1 bucket because of a handful of bad ones.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Speaking of bad apples.

John Oliver nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaD84DTGULo
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    ponytd said:

unsung said:

Glad to see you're not lumping all cops into 1 bucket because of a handful of bad ones.
    I think it's a lot more than a handful, but sure, it's never bad to acknowledge the good ones. There are plenty of them too..... However, let's not allow our concern about acknowledging the good ones get in the way of pinpointing the bad ones, and why there are more and more of them all the time. There is clearly a major systemic problem in police forces, to the point where it is kind of an emergency situation. And the most difficult part is that the good cops are basically not allowed to have anything to do with fixing those problems, because they get blackballed due to the systemic problems we need them to fix. It is quite the conundrum.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cops shot and killed a guy wielding a machete at Colorado University today. Full details have yet to be disclosed.

I'm pretty sure one of the comments below the story I was reading was a 10C member. It was in the form of a question and it read something like this: why couldn't they have just shot the machete out of his hands?

I didn't read many more of the comments, but I'm sure there would have been some suggesting the cops lock themselves in a room and try to talk to the lunatic through a door where they couldn't get hacked... maybe tell him to chill out or something. I dunno.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,656
    Your story brings up the point about departments training officers to deal more effectively with people with mental illness. Some have done a good job with this.
  • Options

Your story brings up the point about departments training officers to deal more effectively with people with mental illness. Some have done a good job with this.

You've assumed this person has a mental illness?
This discussion has been closed.