Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2016
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

So....apprently you can be executed if you don't follow orders from police, even when you are a threat to no one.

People should be allowed to tell cops to go stuff it up their hairy as**s. Why should we have to listen to them?
    Are you serious?
    No.

I find the idea that cops should just let people go on whatever terms they dictate... when they don't feel like being detained... is completely absurd.

It's not that gawddamn hard to comply. You're tempting fate when you don't.
    Do you know what probable cause is?
    Question time. Great!

Answer: yes

Question: do you understand the threat officers face in the line of duty?
    What is considered enough of a threat to kill someone? Honest question. I would argue until someone walking away from you with their hands up towards a car does something sudden or reaches, that is not enough to kill someone. The officers sign up for that threat the first day they show up at the academy and you can't kill someone the second you get scared.
    Most definitions would be fear of death or great injury to you or someone else. Most cases walking away would not count as a great threat, but if you had reason to believe there was a weapon in the car he was walking toward, that could easily be argued (not saying there just, just answering the question).

It is very difficult to prove what a person was feeling. In many cases, officer or civilian, it is the first few sentences in the statement given that determines the level of threat. Two exact same scenarios may have 2 different outcomes based on the person's statement. One person breaks into a house, the owner says "I was so scared, even though he turned around I just had this feeling he was coming back and all I could think about were my kids upstairs so I just I shot." He may get away with it. The next person may say "My house was broken in last week and I know it was him, he wasn't going to break into my house ever again!" probably would be charged with murder. I've seen cases where someone shot in the back and no charges were filed, and some where they were shot in the front and he was charged with murder.

I had a friend who thought some local kids were breaking into his house. He used some racial slurs describing how he would protect himself and I told him if it comes to that, don't use any of those words. It could even be language like that that would sway a prosecutor that you weren't really in fear but acted out of anger, even though they were breaking into your house.
    I imagine the cop who shot the guy walking to his car felt threatened, the problem is, due to prejudice blacks are perceived as a greater threat. If he was white, more likely other reasons go through their brain: he's on drugs, he's psychotic, he is deaf etc.
    I've thought the same thing before.
    There are far more great people of all races than bad. But also, per capita there are more violent crimes committed by blacks and attacks on cops than whites. So regardless of training, it is only natural to be more cautious when approaching someone of color when you are a police officer. Not saying its right, its just reality.
    And here is where I'd like to say what I've said before: we are all complicit in this event.

The routine encounters between cops and black men are only the point if a much bigger problem: the oppression of black people.

It irritates me to read comments from (presumably) white people that prosper in a white serving society, while afforded hindsight as well as the comfort of their sofa, point fingers at cops for doing a poor job at these encounters.

Your comment is fair and accurate, but I'd add that the blacks you speak of develop criminal tendencies and hostile attitudes given the alternative is a career at Carl's Jr. Until legitimate opportunity and hope is realistic, nothing will change. For this to happen, meaningful social programs would need to be implemented and that would mean sacrifice on the part of those that wag their fingers at cops (or sit down during national anthems).
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Killedbypolice.net adds 6 to the list Sept 20, 2016
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Why so much criminal activity on this day? Weird.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    JC29856 said:

All six were armed robbers. Five of them didn't get any protests for some reason. And one was killed by gravity.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Okay...

1. Cops stop at an unusual site: a suv is parked directly in the middle of a two way, single lane highway.

2. A man approaches the officers, but when they (she) issues commands... he ignores them and walks to his suv.

3. He continues to ignore them and reaches into his suv for something.

4. Cops shoot.

Does this sum it up about right?

Except his windows were up.
    "He is a bad dude" from 75 feet in the air.
    I asked you yesterday to link the piece that revealed his windows were up. Is there a piece that does this? That fact would change my perspective on this scenario significantly.

Or are you just spouting stuff? Like the off hand comment (that you actually misquoted) made by the helicopter pilot which had no bearing on the situation on the ground?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

JC29856 said:

All six were armed robbers. Five of them didn't get any protests for some reason. And one was killed by gravity.
    I just wanna cook the one that was killed by gravity a rib eye.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,680
    hsohi said:

All this happening under the leadership of a black president. Of course Clinton has all the answers and will bring unity to all something that Obama couldn't. What a joke.
    From the outside looking in Trump is looking more and more better.

The president doesn't run the police departments. But how is Trump's plan 'more better'?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

So....apprently you can be executed if you don't follow orders from police, even when you are a threat to no one.

People should be allowed to tell cops to go stuff it up their hairy as**s. Why should we have to listen to them?
    Are you serious?
    No.

I find the idea that cops should just let people go on whatever terms they dictate... when they don't feel like being detained... is completely absurd.

Question time. Great!

What is considered enough of a threat to kill someone? Honest question. I would argue until someone walking away from you with their hands up towards a car does something sudden or reaches, that is not enough to kill someone. The officers sign up for that threat the first day they show up at the academy and you can't kill someone the second you get scared.
    Most definitions would be fear of death or great injury to you or someone else. Most cases walking away would not count as a great threat, but if you had reason to believe there was a weapon in the car he was walking toward, that could easily be argued (not saying there just, just answering the question).

It is very difficult to prove what a person was feeling. In many cases, officer or civilian, it is the first few sentences in the statement given that determines the level of threat. Two exact same scenarios may have 2 different outcomes based on the person's statement. One person breaks into a house, the owner says "I was so scared, even though he turned around I just had this feeling he was coming back and all I could think about were my kids upstairs so I just I shot." He may get away with it. The next person may say "My house was broken in last week and I know it was him, he wasn't going to break into my house ever again!" probably would be charged with murder. I've seen cases where someone shot in the back and no charges were filed, and some where they were shot in the front and he was charged with murder.

I had a friend who thought some local kids were breaking into his house. He used some racial slurs describing how he would protect himself and I told him if it comes to that, don't use any of those words. It could even be language like that that would sway a prosecutor that you weren't really in fear but acted out of anger, even though they were breaking into your house.
    I imagine the cop who shot the guy walking to his car felt threatened, the problem is, due to prejudice blacks are perceived as a greater threat. If he was white, more likely other reasons go through their brain: he's on drugs, he's psychotic, he is deaf etc.
    There are far more great people of all races than bad. But also, per capita there are more violent crimes committed by blacks and attacks on cops than whites. So regardless of training, it is only natural to be more cautious when approaching someone of color when you are a police officer. Not saying its right, its just reality.
    And here is where I'd like to say what I've said before: we are all complicit in this event.

The routine encounters between cops and black men are only the point if a much bigger problem: the oppression of black people.

It irritates me to read comments from (presumably) white people that prosper in a white serving society, while afforded hindsight as well as the comfort of their sofa, point fingers at cops for doing a poor job at these encounters.

Your comment is fair and accurate, but I'd add that the blacks you speak of develop criminal tendencies and hostile attitudes given the alternative is a career at Carl's Jr. Until legitimate opportunity and hope is realistic, nothing will change. For this to happen, meaningful social programs would need to be implemented and that would mean sacrifice on the part of those that wag their fingers at cops (or sit down during national anthems).
    I probably would have disagreed with that last thought 10 years ago. I still wouldn't agree 100%.-meaning that is a factor but not the only, and maybe not even the biggest factor.
    I can't help but feel the lack of 2-parent households and father figures plays a major impact. People in the media get labeled racist for bringing it up, but how does that not contribute? Kids are coming home to an empty house because mom works extra hours and don't have a father figure. That is not a lack of legitimate opportunity, that is a cultural phenomenon and a decision those fathers made that does impact their children and make it harder for them to break the cycle. And it repeats. But it is not PC to talk about it, so no one does.

The stats for fatherless children are staggering, which a much higher likelihood for suicide, criminal activity, etc.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

I probably would have disagreed with that last thought 10 years ago. I still wouldn't agree 100%.-meaning that is a factor but not the only, and maybe not even the biggest factor.
    I can't help but feel the lack of 2-parent households and father figures plays a major impact. People in the media get labeled racist for bringing it up, but how does that not contribute? Kids are coming home to an empty house because mom works extra hours and don't have a father figure. That is not a lack of legitimate opportunity, that is a cultural phenomenon and a decision those fathers made that does impact their children and make it harder for them to break the cycle. And it repeats. But it is not PC to talk about it, so no one does.

The stats for fatherless children are staggering, which a much higher likelihood for suicide, criminal activity, etc.
    I'd be curious to know the ages of parents (mean average).

I could be way off base, but I would speculate that many inner city youth are having kids in their mid to late teens and simply unprepared or ready to provide responsible parenting- and this becomes somewhat cyclical.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

You really hate Carl's Jr., don't you?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

It's not about PC, it's about what isn't talked about, which is how does single parent families affect whites. No one calls this a cultural phenomena. Interesting bit of research lately showed non-custodial black fathers spending significantly more time with their kids compared to non-custodial white fathers. Now that's something interesting culturally.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

I could be way off base, but I would speculate that many inner city youth are having kids in their mid to late teens and simply unprepared or ready to provide responsible parenting- and this becomes somewhat cyclical.
    Probably a good chunk under the age of 20.
    I saw a local news report trying to interview a guy just released from jail where they tried to put a court order on him to have no more kids (I forget the details, this was a few months ago). He had 23 kids (I remember than number exactly) from bout 15 or 16 different women, and never pays a dime in child support for any of them (which is why he was just leaving jail), And doesn't even know most of their names. Dude was like 45, and complaining it is his right to have more kids. I think he won.

What chance do those 23 kids have?
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

You really hate Carl's Jr., don't you?
    Lol.

An inside joke just for me!
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:

unsung said:

So he was murdered. Got it.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that. I'm saying there's a little more to this than 'white woman cop gets a black guy'.

I mean... the cop bashers have been really quick out of the gates on this one- somebody even cited the helicopter pilot's commentary as evidence to complicity.

Somebody also said his hands were up and they shot him in the back. The video I saw was as I described and his hands were not up- they were reaching into his vehicle.

One cop shot a taser and the woman cop shot her gun at the same time. Something triggered a response. Optic wise... it's not a clear cut case of cop abuse. I would say that with four cops there... non lethal methods should have been exercised (as the one cop that shot his taser attempted); however, with that said... just stop f**king with the police. Maybe he did exactly what they told him to do and they shot him anyways. But maybe, in that odd scenario, he acted in such a way that the officers on the scene grew taut. In that case, it's not murder as much as it is overreacting to the possibility of a threat.
    You night not be but I am.

hsohi said:

All this happening under the leadership of a black president. Of course Clinton has all the answers and will bring unity to all something that Obama couldn't. What a joke.
    From the outside looking in Trump is looking more and more better.

The president doesn't run the police departments. But how is Trump's plan 'more better'?
    But he does ratchet up the rhetoric.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

Overall, the average age of first time moms is 24.2 for blacks, and 27 for whites. I couldn't find info specific to inner cities.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

Overall, the average age of first time moms is 24.2 for blacks, and 27 for whites. I couldn't find info specific to inner cities.
    Thanks for looking at this.

Further to it.... I'm wondering if those numbers change at all in larger urban centers versus rural areas or smaller cities?

Obviously, I'm looking at whether or not there's a possible connection to immature parenting and where most of the trouble we see exists.
  • Options
    Truly shocking!

Police officers across the country misuse confidential law enforcement databases to get information on romantic partners, business associates, neighbors, journalists and others for reasons that have nothing to do with daily police work, an Associated Press investigation has found.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/699236946e3140659fff8a2362e16f43/ap-across-us-police-officers-abuse-confidential-databases
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Retroactively add blue tooth ear pieces to that loooooooooooooooooong list of imminent threats to scaredy cops.
    Not sure if the officer suffers from Parkinson's or if he president of scaredy cops club.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/09/l-sheriffs-deputy-pulls-innocent-man-working-car/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    JC29856 said:

Retroactively add blue tooth ear pieces to that loooooooooooooooooong list of imminent threats to scaredy cops.
    Not sure if the officer suffers from Parkinson's or if he president of scaredy cops club.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/09/l-sheriffs-deputy-pulls-innocent-man-working-car/

Land of the free my ass.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    JC29856 said:

What was nerve racking about that video was aside from the sheriff unholstering his weapon was that he ACTUALLY had his finger on the trigger. Even though he could see the seated mans hands.....his trigger finger should be straddling the weapon. It doesn't take much for that weapon to fire in that situation with his finger on the trigger. He was truly a scaredy cop or just wanted to show he was in control. I did like throughout that stop that seated driver remained calm.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yourse.

Beaten by the cops for sitting on his porch.
    Remained calm, complied, police continued harassment. He tried to call a friend and an officer tried to illegally seize his phone, when Yourse tried to keep ahold of his property the police proceeded to beat him without mercy.
    They broke the law and now he's the criminal.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Hillary will fix it.
  • Options
    If you noticed, there's a theme in these cop threads that downplay the influence of the president, except for the usual 'Obama's fault' crew, but they apply that to everything.
  • Options
    Body cam footage just released of officers opening fire on a vehicle driven by a man with no crimes or warrants.
    He survived but his 6 year old son was murdered because his father dared to place his vehicle in reverse, probably in an effort to comply with officers' unwarranted demands.
    Few is the last name if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Body cam footage just released of officers opening fire on a vehicle driven by a man with no crimes or warrants.
    He survived but his 6 year old son was murdered because his father dared to place his vehicle in reverse, probably in an effort to comply with officers' unwarranted demands.

Yah. It was a little more than that. He fled from the police and when he reached a dead end... he reversed to begin a new course.

Way to go, Dad. Engage the cops in a game of flee and pursuit with your child in the car.

Cue: "Just let the guy go. Try again later. Why bother enforcing the laws? They aren't meant to be followed anyways. Freedom!" (tactical retreat!)
  • Options
    And brutal by the way.

I haven't watched the video, but the fact a child was murdered in this situation warrants an investigation.

The cops may very well have acted poorly (they definitely shot poorly). There's no denying Dad acted poorly if that story is accurate.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Yah. It was a little more than that. He fled from the police and when he reached a dead end... he reversed to begin a new course.

Way to go, Dad. Engage the cops in a game of flee and pursuit with your child in the car.

Cue: "Just let the guy go. Try again later. Why bother enforcing the laws? They aren't meant to be followed anyways. Freedom!" (tactical retreat!)
    Why did they let him flee at all, why didn't they use a bazooka to blow the car up right off the bat? Obey the law! (death penalty for dissenters)
This discussion has been closed.