Police abuse

Comments

• Does the profession "deserve" respect or is it earned? Personally, where I live and where I have lived, it's been earned. I'm not blindly respecting someone because of their profession. But for cops, especially? They earn my respect based on individual actions, even if I'm being a dick toward them. They're supposed to be professionals at my service. Treat me with respect, I'll treat you with respect. Act like a dick? Expect to be treated like a dick. Because they carry a gun, wear a badge and have powers of arrest, doesn't give them blanket respect or a pass on being a "dick."

I'm willing to bet that you "identify" more with Musky than with me, yes?

There are different forms of respect.

If you don't respect something for the potential it carries... then you might be considered foolhardy.

In Canada, we are taught to respect wildlife: don't go piss off the neighbourhood black bear or it might turn on you and, well, that wouldn't be very good for you. Most people follow this rule of thumb and guess what? Black bear attacks are extremely rare- I can't even recall one to be honest. When people encounter the bears in our area- 5 or 6 times a year for me on foot- we respect the bears and tread very carefully.

Respect goes beyond animals. For example, Chris McCandless never respected Alaska.

A man with a gun and tool belt full of items designed to hurt you strikes me as the type of thing people should respect on the level I speak of. One might think to themselves, "This pig sucks and I bet he's a racist that wants to beat someone down"... but just think it. Don't go poke the bear thinking everything is going to be cool or that you're just as tough as it.

At a bare minimum, respect the potential threat to yourself. If one doesn't and ends up biting off more than they can chew... well sorry... they're an idiot.

And I'll head the 'comparing police to bears' rebuttal at the pass. If it wasn't obvious enough... I'm speaking to idiots that place themselves at risk because the don't 'respect' something they should.
    What was Freddie gray's crime again?
    I'm not going to defend every police action and certainly won't defend this case. You can look through the Tamir Rice thread and the Kelly Thomas threads as evidence for this assertion. I'm not ignorant and can certainly acknowledge police brutality when it presents itself.

However, I'm not so set in my beliefs to completely ignore the fact patterns in other cases to persist with my condemnations of the police regardless of circumstances. I can point you to where I've been critical of the police. Can you show me where you have not other than throwing around lame disclaimers after bashing the profession in the teeth (likely recognizing the need to after spewing such venom as you do at times).

Why are you chiming in on a thread mocking someone for seeing things as black and white? Whether good or bad, as far as I can tell... this is your modus operandi.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/why-canada-avoids-asking-about-race-and-why-thats-a-problem/article20987894/

For a later discussion.

Are you equating your experience in Costa Rica with the day to day experience of the residents of Baltimore and their reality with their police force? Really? Was it a Costa Rican cop that attacked you? As for your views in the Kelly Thomas thread, I couldn't find it in 10 pages of searching. Different title? Care to link it so I can research your views? As for Tamir Rice, yes you sympathized but you also think, "cops are awesome." Correct me if I'm wrong.

What other "fact patterns" do you refer? Where have I been non-critical of the police? Well, read back a few pages. And what "lame disclaimers" have I thrown around? I've linked to several different articles that, until someone else can dispute, are fact based. You've offered some analogy of not poking a bear. Makes no sense to me. Please point me to my mockery of "black and white" as I believe this thread is titled, "police abuse." And what do you think is my, "modus operandi?" Where have I condemned the police in all cases? Regardless of circumstances? You're asking me to prove something I never said? Thanks for the Rumsfeldian speak. Nice tactic.

I never said you were ignorant but thanks for insinuating that You think I think that of you.
    A bunch of questions. I'll offer the following in the interest of clarity and then I'll leave you to your cop bashing tendencies (your moudus operandi).

I was attacked by some random guy in Costa Rica. It wasn't a cop.

I'm not sure how you can't understand not poking the bear: it clearly implies don't aggravate something that has the potential to be dangerous. Be responsible for yourself and be careful in situations where you should be careful.

I'm not going to search my posts for my criticism of the cops that killed Thomas. They are out there, although they may not be in the Thomas thread (sorry for the bum steer). If you need to hear it: those cops are scum and that story is heartbreaking. Watching the video, when Thomas called out for his father, my eyes welled.

Although I've never said it as you have quoted me as saying (as far as I can remember), I do think cops are awesome. Just because we have some sensationalized cases of some cops performing poorly doesn't mean cops aren't worth my respect and appreciation. Of course, some cops are brutal, but we can find brutal members in any profession.

You chimed in with some 'faceturd' comment in support of another comment that essentially called someone dim witted and unable to see the nuances that exist in the world. The guy you were speaking to, quite frankly, deserves a little more respect but that seems to be something you are reluctant to give if the original post I quoted is your actual attitude towards people like you and I in the line of duty.

* We are bordering on hostility. I have read many of your posts and understand you to be a good person. I'm not thrilled with your view of police in general, but you are entitled to have it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

If I walked up to you and suckered punched you and broke your nose, how much would you sue me for?

If me and three of my friends accosted you in a store, pushed you down and beat the crap out of you, how much would you sue me for? How much time in jail would you expect me to serve?

Just wondering.

If a cop did it to you, what would you expect as recompsense?

"Complete" disregard for the police. Yea, right.

If all you read about is the bad apples, your opinion will certainly be swayed. You read about the 2%. Just keep in mind that the other 98% do good. (Those number came from nowhere, hopefully you see my point.)
    I love how you project what I think. I don't think all cops are bad just like I don't think all poor people are thugs. But to deny there is a major problem with the baltimore police department, you lose me there. And to think I should "respect" someone just for the work clothes they wear? Or any clothes? Talk about sheeple?
    I don't know, maybe respect is the wrong word but I sure as hell value police.

So I think about solutions yet recognizing there is a problem with some police actions but remember that we expect them to control our social mess. It is a fucked up job and so glad someone's doing it. I sure as hell wouldn't.

They aren't the cause of poverty or our strategy of allowing as many mentally ill humans as possible on the streets rather than spending money on them. (Course billions spent on wars subsidizing defense and oil corporations is okay). Add our willingness to have guns flood our country.

So what are the solutions? The status quo will keep this cycle intact or actually make it worse.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Does the profession "deserve" respect or is it earned? Personally, where I live and where I have lived, it's been earned. I'm not blindly respecting someone because of their profession. But for cops, especially? They earn my respect based on individual actions, even if I'm being a dick toward them. They're supposed to be professionals at my service. Treat me with respect, I'll treat you with respect. Act like a dick? Expect to be treated like a dick. Because they carry a gun, wear a badge and have powers of arrest, doesn't give them blanket respect or a pass on being a "dick."

I'm willing to bet that you "identify" more with Musky than with me, yes?

There are different forms of respect.

If you don't respect something for the potential it carries... then you might be considered foolhardy.

In Canada, we are taught to respect wildlife: don't go piss off the neighbourhood black bear or it might turn on you and, well, that wouldn't be very good for you. Most people follow this rule of thumb and guess what? Black bear attacks are extremely rare- I can't even recall one to be honest. When people encounter the bears in our area- 5 or 6 times a year for me on foot- we respect the bears and tread very carefully.

Respect goes beyond animals. For example, Chris McCandless never respected Alaska.

A man with a gun and tool belt full of items designed to hurt you strikes me as the type of thing people should respect on the level I speak of. One might think to themselves, "This pig sucks and I bet he's a racist that wants to beat someone down"... but just think it. Don't go poke the bear thinking everything is going to be cool or that you're just as tough as it.

At a bare minimum, respect the potential threat to yourself. If one doesn't and ends up biting off more than they can chew... well sorry... they're an idiot.

And I'll head the 'comparing police to bears' rebuttal at the pass. If it wasn't obvious enough... I'm speaking to idiots that place themselves at risk because the don't 'respect' something they should.
    What was Freddie gray's crime again?
    I'm not going to defend every police action and certainly won't defend this case. You can look through the Tamir Rice thread and the Kelly Thomas threads as evidence for this assertion. I'm not ignorant and can certainly acknowledge police brutality when it presents itself.

However, I'm not so set in my beliefs to completely ignore the fact patterns in other cases to persist with my condemnations of the police regardless of circumstances. I can point you to where I've been critical of the police. Can you show me where you have not other than throwing around lame disclaimers after bashing the profession in the teeth (likely recognizing the need to after spewing such venom as you do at times).

Why are you chiming in on a thread mocking someone for seeing things as black and white? Whether good or bad, as far as I can tell... this is your modus operandi.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/why-canada-avoids-asking-about-race-and-why-thats-a-problem/article20987894/

For a later discussion.

Are you equating your experience in Costa Rica with the day to day experience of the residents of Baltimore and their reality with their police force? Really? Was it a Costa Rican cop that attacked you? As for your views in the Kelly Thomas thread, I couldn't find it in 10 pages of searching. Different title? Care to link it so I can research your views? As for Tamir Rice, yes you sympathized but you also think, "cops are awesome." Correct me if I'm wrong.

What other "fact patterns" do you refer? Where have I been non-critical of the police? Well, read back a few pages. And what "lame disclaimers" have I thrown around? I've linked to several different articles that, until someone else can dispute, are fact based. You've offered some analogy of not poking a bear. Makes no sense to me. Please point me to my mockery of "black and white" as I believe this thread is titled, "police abuse." And what do you think is my, "modus operandi?" Where have I condemned the police in all cases? Regardless of circumstances? You're asking me to prove something I never said? Thanks for the Rumsfeldian speak. Nice tactic.

I never said you were ignorant but thanks for insinuating that You think I think that of you.
    I have read the piece. I also skimmed the paper linked in the piece.

It spoke to the earning discrepancies between native Canadians and immigrants. It goes without saying that immigrants are not going to get their papers stamped and immediately compete for the highest wages we can provide- although some skilled labourers do.

It suggests that there are earning discrepancies between immigrants and native Canadians that might suggest taste based racial discrimination. The paper linked used extensive math to present what seems to be conflicted findings: "the results reveal a clear tendency for conditional earnings to rise across subsequent generations of visible minorities, but not white, men. This pattern appears particularly strong for black men, the same group singled out in the current literature as
    facing exceptionally large earnings gaps. Nonetheless, the results also point to considerable
    persistence in the earnings gaps of visible minorities."

Help me out here. What do I need to know? If you are suggesting, by offering this piece, that we are a racist country... I think I have missed what supports such an assertion.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/video-israeli-soldiers-brutally-beat-palestinian-dad

Pretty fucken disturbing. This shit looks a lot like america. Identical.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7582374

Where are the 99% of good cops? Why aren't they backing him up?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Insecure, Frustrated Bully With Something To Prove Considering Career In Law Enforcement

RALEIGH, NC—Calling it his lifelong dream, local man Brendan Lockhart, an insecure and perpetually frustrated bully who believes he has something to prove to the world, told reporters Thursday that he is seriously considering a career in law enforcement.

Lockhart, a recent high-school graduate who sources confirmed is plagued by resentment, self-doubt, unexpected fits of rage, and has always had a penchant for tormenting those who are smaller and weaker than him, explained that he feels he is well suited to serve as a police officer.

“I’ve always wanted to be a cop,” said Lockhart, whose paranoia and inferiority complex constantly haunt him, leading him to lash out at others in order to convince them he is in control. “I know it’s a tough line of work, but I think I’ve got what it takes to earn my shield and get out there and keep the peace.”

“This is the job I was born to do,” continued the man whose main goal in life is to prove to others that he is strong, confident, and not afraid.

Friends and family confirmed that Lockhart, an unpredictable, petty individual who frequently loses his temper when he feels he is being threatened or disrespected, has in recent months been inquiring into joining the ranks of the Raleigh Police Department. In this role, the man with a massive chip on his shoulder and no visible sense of empathy would be tasked with peacefully resolving disputes and evenhandedly administering justice to members of the community over whom he would have official power.

Specifically, sources speculated that should Lockhart successfully complete the 17-week officer training program and cursory psychological examination necessary to become a cop, the 18-year-old, who suffers from feelings of inadequacy and frequently explodes in emotional outbursts against people he perceives to be mocking him, would on a daily basis be placed in delicate situations requiring extreme patience and sound judgment.

“My dad’s encouraging me to go to the academy, and he says that once I graduate I can probably get a job around here,” said Lockhart, referring to the man whose own lack of compassion and propensity for inexplicable violence is largely to blame for similar patterns in his son, and who is himself a veteran police officer. “Once I’m a cop, I’m going to do what I have to do to make sure these neighborhoods stay safe.”

“I bet a lot of people don’t think I can do it, but I’ll show them,” continued the man who could in six months’ time possess both a standard-issue firearm and the city-sanctioned authority to unholster and fire the weapon.

When pressed for further comment, sources close to the man who hopes to play an active role in protecting his community confirmed that Lockhart constantly goes out of his way to intimidate and belittle those people he knows are too submissive to fight back. The 18-year-old often fantasizes at length about getting revenge on those he believes have wronged him. When frustrated or enraged with his own general powerlessness in the world, he reportedly has a tendency to take out these emotions on the first person he comes across, with little or no provocation. Lockhart routinely gets in screaming arguments with others and must be physically restrained as his anger reaches a white-hot pitch, frightening all around him. A devoted fan of mixed martial arts, Lockhart is capable of watching YouTube videos of people being pummeled senselessly for hours at a time.

Sources also felt it bears mentioning that Lockhart is an impassioned and unapologetic racist.

When asked to outline his motivations for entering the field of law enforcement, the perpetually infuriated bully who could very soon be responsible for the security and well-being of thousands of innocent people explained that he feels a personal obligation to do whatever necessary to safeguard society.

“There’s a lot of bad people out there who think they can get away with doing whatever they want, and someone has to stop them,” said Lockhart, his hands unconsciously closing into tight fists. “So if I don’t step up and show everyone who’s boss, who will?”

“Plus, I’ve been talking to my buddies at the gym, and a bunch of them are gonna be cops too,” Lockhart continued. “It’ll be great.”

http://www.theonion.com/article/insecure-frustrated-bully-with-something-to-prove--33427
  • Cop haters are a special collection of illogical people whose ideas about the world and their expectations of law enforcement are grossly inconsistent. I’ve found that if you can actually get a cop hater to talk to you without simply hurling canned rhetoric over the table, some understanding can be achieved. But this is rare because when you’re entire worldview is demonstrated to have a flaw in it, it requires a big shift in thinking, and that’s not easy for anyone.

Now let me be clear, when I say cop haters, I’m not referring to the genuine and often necessary critique of police work. I’m talking about those who spend their time mocking cops, slamming cops, or generally criticizing everything they do. When it comes to honest critique in police work or exposing crooked cops, you’ll find no argument from me or any other good cop; and good cops are the majority folks.

Let me break down the cop hating “logic” for you, which boils down to “We want nothing from you except for you to be everything we want to hate”. Like Stephen King’s Pennywise character, cops are apparently capable of shifting into whatever malevolent form they deem the best to intimidate others as they abuse their authority. Unlike those who live in line with reality, cop haters want to talk out both sides of their mouth and generally run away when they get called out for it. Here are a few examples of what I’m talking about:

Cop haters want cops to never resort to force but also want them to be skilled enough at use of force to shoot a knife out of a running person’s hand in under one second. In other words you want them to protect their community from bad guys but not to actually stop the bad guys. Tell me, which is it? Believe me, I think cops wish we had every skill you see in the movies or on television; it would certainly make our job much easier. I can Jason Bourne someone in my head 1,000 times but then I have to handle myself according to my actual skill set. What if the reality is that sometimes, the only available solution to a life or death situation is the use of force, including deadly force?

The fact about deadly force is that it is rarely used, even when it could be. Cop haters would love us to believe that police officers are just randomly walking down the street and picking off people they don’t like one by one. That type of ignorance simply can’t stand in the face of objective truth. Consider the publically available information from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report Data that shows an annual average of 3,277 deadly force attacks on police officers involving weapons of some kind (that’s right, it doesn’t even include the attack on officers by the unarmed). Yet for the same time frame (2003-2012) only an average of 429 deaths from police use of force occurred annually. This means that at least 2,848 individuals can be expected to attack a police officer with a weapon in this country and come away alive. So not only are cops not rampantly abusing their authority but they aren’t even using as much of it as they’re permitted by law.

http://www.humanizingthebadge.com/2015/05/the-cop-haters-dilemma/
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-federal-judge-orders-release-of-videos-20150714-story.html?14369191098620#page=1

In the two years since Gardena police officers fatally shot an unarmed man, city officials fought to keep graphic video of the killing under wraps.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661

Cop haters are a special collection of illogical people whose ideas about the world and their expectations of law enforcement are grossly inconsistent. I’ve found that if you can actually get a cop hater to talk to you without simply hurling canned rhetoric over the table, some understanding can be achieved. But this is rare because when you’re entire worldview is demonstrated to have a flaw in it, it requires a big shift in thinking, and that’s not easy for anyone.

Now let me be clear, when I say cop haters, I’m not referring to the genuine and often necessary critique of police work. I’m talking about those who spend their time mocking cops, slamming cops, or generally criticizing everything they do. When it comes to honest critique in police work or exposing crooked cops, you’ll find no argument from me or any other good cop; and good cops are the majority folks.

Let me break down the cop hating “logic” for you, which boils down to “We want nothing from you except for you to be everything we want to hate”. Like Stephen King’s Pennywise character, cops are apparently capable of shifting into whatever malevolent form they deem the best to intimidate others as they abuse their authority. Unlike those who live in line with reality, cop haters want to talk out both sides of their mouth and generally run away when they get called out for it. Here are a few examples of what I’m talking about:

Cop haters want cops to never resort to force but also want them to be skilled enough at use of force to shoot a knife out of a running person’s hand in under one second. In other words you want them to protect their community from bad guys but not to actually stop the bad guys. Tell me, which is it? Believe me, I think cops wish we had every skill you see in the movies or on television; it would certainly make our job much easier. I can Jason Bourne someone in my head 1,000 times but then I have to handle myself according to my actual skill set. What if the reality is that sometimes, the only available solution to a life or death situation is the use of force, including deadly force?

The fact about deadly force is that it is rarely used, even when it could be. Cop haters would love us to believe that police officers are just randomly walking down the street and picking off people they don’t like one by one. That type of ignorance simply can’t stand in the face of objective truth. Consider the publically available information from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report Data that shows an annual average of 3,277 deadly force attacks on police officers involving weapons of some kind (that’s right, it doesn’t even include the attack on officers by the unarmed). Yet for the same time frame (2003-2012) only an average of 429 deaths from police use of force occurred annually. This means that at least 2,848 individuals can be expected to attack a police officer with a weapon in this country and come away alive. So not only are cops not rampantly abusing their authority but they aren’t even using as much of it as they’re permitted by law.

http://www.humanizingthebadge.com/2015/05/the-cop-haters-dilemma/

I agree with this. It was well written.
    This is an interesting read about someone with 11 years experience within the Baltimore PD .

Under some of your definitions he would be a cop/self hater.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33293421

Baltimore ex-cop Michael Wood Jr on brutality and racism
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    dignin said:

This is an interesting read about someone with 11 years experience within the Baltimore PD .

Holy crap that's some scary stuff right there but if America thinks that stuff doesn't happen in other urban cities we are clearly fooling ourselves. I've heard and read some of those stories as I lived in nearby PG County MD. Baltimore was a city I only visited to see The Preakness, Camden Yards for baseball or the Inner Harbour for their famous aquarium.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

dignin said:

Holy crap that's some scary stuff right there but if America thinks that stuff doesn't happen in other urban cities we are clearly fooling ourselves. I've heard and read some of those stories as I lived in nearby PG County MD. Baltimore was a city I only visited to see The Preakness, Camden Yards for baseball or the Inner Harbour for their famous aquarium.

Peace

If I had to guess this kind of behavior isn't limited to just the Baltimore PD. The evidence is mounting, many police forces have an us vs. them mentality.

We have our very own member on this board in the policing profession that hints at it all the time.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,829
    edited July 2015
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    What a meathead bully.

Guaranteed we will see more of these "isolated incidences" as more citizens get dashboard cameras. I think that is the only way were are going to get rid of these "bad apples".
    dankind said:
    We had a similar case in Canton, the officer went on paid vacation for close to a year while they arbitrated... In the end they cleared him of wrongdoing because he was too traumatized to correctly perform his job. They promptly put him back in duty.
    rgambs said:

dankind said:
    We had a similar case in Canton, the officer went on paid vacation for close to a year while they arbitrated... In the end they cleared him of wrongdoing because he was too traumatized to correctly perform his job. They promptly put him back in duty.
    This dude is definitely a douche bag. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.

rgambs said:

dankind said:

I'm confused. The guy who didn't want to get shot by a yelling, belligerent, wifebeater-wearing, pickup-driving, tatted-up random redneck thug is a douchebag?

And you would also threaten to blow a fucking hole through his head for a harmless traffic violation as soon as you smelled fear?

I've come to understand from some of your other posts that although you may be a degenerate, you are a compassionate human being. I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding you (and perhaps others), but you might want to clarify -- namely, who you're calling a douchebag and what actions you would mimic.

It's one thing to be pro-cop, which I am, for the most part. (I think that the few rotten apples, one of which is this off-duty blowhard, don't so much spoil the bunch in reality but rather in the public perception and that, again, for the most part, they are outliers.) It's another thing completely to be pro-violence, pro-bully and anti-humanist.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

rgambs said:

dankind said:

I'm confused. The guy who didn't want to get shot by a yelling, belligerent, wifebeater-wearing, pickup-driving, tatted-up random redneck thug is a douchebag?

And you would also threaten to blow a fucking hole through his head for a harmless traffic violation as soon as you smelled fear?

I've come to understand from some of your other posts that although you may be a degenerate, you are a compassionate human being. I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding you (and perhaps others), but you might want to clarify -- namely, who you're calling a douchebag and what actions you would mimic.

It's one thing to be pro-cop, which I am, for the most part. (I think that the few rotten apples, one of which is this off-duty blowhard, don't so much spoil the bunch in reality but rather in the public perception and that, again, for the most part, they are outliers.) It's another thing completely to be pro-violence, pro-bully and anti-humanist.
    That's quite the statement.

I haven't even read the story, but I'm not really okay with this approach to expressing a different opinion.

dankind said:

rgambs said:

dankind said:

I haven't even read the story, but I'm not really okay with this approach to expressing a different opinion.
    It's a joke from AET, to where I'll return.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited July 2015

dankind said:

rgambs said:

dankind said:

I am sure it was a light hearted reference to the many degenerate threads he takes part in. That being said, you can't be siding with this off duty officer on this one Scott? Can you? I'm hoping his statement is being misinterpreted.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • dankind said:

dankind said:

rgambs said:

dankind said:

It's a joke from AET, to where I'll return.
    No.

I just needed clarification- I'm not on the inside here (I had no idea).

All good, man.

rgambs said:

dankind said:

Yeah I am confused on who is the douche and what action might you take. Care to clarify?

rgambs said:

dankind said:

Yeah I am confused on who is the douche and what action might you take. Care to clarify?
    dankind said:

rgambs said:

dankind said:

Ummm, no. I meant the cop was a douche bag. And if I was the guy in the car, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. Poor sentence on my part.

dankind said:

rgambs said:

dankind said:

Ummm, no. I meant the cop was a douche bag. And if I was the guy in the car, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. Poor sentence on my part.
    That's what I figured. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea about your stance on this one. I'm an editor by trade, so making sure that folks are not misunderstood is my job.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/07/teen_off-duty_trooper_fired_at_us_but_we_were_trea.html

The state attorney general's office says its preliminary investigation has found an off-duty state trooper fired three shots from his personal gun as three teens fled his street in a car early Sunday morning — an account that's largely consistent with what one of the teens has told NJ Advance Media.

But not entirely consistent.

Both say the teens knocked on the trooper's Whispering Woods Lane door late at night after mistaking his home for a friend's. Both say the trooper came downstairs with a gun — the AG's office says it was his personal handgun. What the AG's office describes as a "verbal exchange through the door," teen Jesse Barkhorn, 18, describes as yelling and cursing by the trooper.

And both say that as the teens got in their car and fled, the trooper entered the street with the gun.
    dignin said:

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/07/teen_off-duty_trooper_fired_at_us_but_we_were_trea.html

The state attorney general's office says its preliminary investigation has found an off-duty state trooper fired three shots from his personal gun as three teens fled his street in a car early Sunday morning — an account that's largely consistent with what one of the teens has told NJ Advance Media.

Both say the teens knocked on the trooper's Whispering Woods Lane door late at night after mistaking his home for a friend's. Both say the trooper came downstairs with a gun — the AG's office says it was his personal handgun. What the AG's office describes as a "verbal exchange through the door," teen Jesse Barkhorn, 18, describes as yelling and cursing by the trooper.

And both say that as the teens got in their car and fled, the trooper entered the street with the gun.

Is this relevant here since the cop was off duty, at home, with his personal weapon? Is this really police abuse?
    edited July 2015

dignin said:

Is this relevant here since the cop was off duty, at home, with his personal weapon? Is this really police abuse?
    It is not police abuse, but It is relevant. A large part of the broad police abuse allegations focus on the underlying character of the people who are hired as a police officers. Above average domestic abuse rates and cases like this lens credence to the popular notion that the profession draws people with aggression issues.
    There is also the question of whether this will be investigated and judiciated fairly.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:

dignin said:

It is not police abuse, but It is relevant. A large part of the broad police abuse allegations focus on the underlying character of the people who are hired as a police officers. Above average domestic abuse rates and cases like this lens credence to the popular notion that the profession draws people with aggression issues.
    There is also the question of whether this will be investigated and judiciated fairly.
    Police have above average domestic abuse rates? This sounds like something that could happen to any gun toting, trigger happy person ready to "defend" themselves in their home. Cop or not.

rgambs said:

dignin said:

Police have above average domestic abuse rates? This sounds like something that could happen to any gun toting, trigger happy person ready to "defend" themselves in their home. Cop or not.
    Yeah, I have seen stats that report at double the national rate.
    Absolutely agree with the rest!
    That's where the issue of the profession drawing these sorts of people comes into play.
This discussion has been closed.