Police abuse

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,170

rgambs said:

Where is the community outrage for the 2 cops killed in the past week during traffic stops? Why are any of you calling for these murderers brought to justice?

It is getting a bit old hearing people compare police abuse to every other crime.
    "What about all the black on black crime?"
    To that I say, yeah, what about it? WTF does that have to do with it?

It is not the same thing when government abuses it's authority over civillians and when civillians commit crimes against each other.
    I don't believe I brought up race. And this is not comparing police abuse to every other crime. It's asking why the cop haters aren't outraged that 2 police officers were killed in the line of duty. But I'm sure some of the cop haters will think they had it comin'.
    Really, they are true cop haters on here or is that your perception of their feelings on police abuse and lack thereof their heroics? I don't hate police in the least they're needed to keep order and peace. What I dislike is at times or many times is their abuse of the power they've sworn to serve the public. I praise them when come to the rescue of the public and I'll certainly chastise them they abuse the people they're supposed to serve.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Where is the community outrage for the 2 cops killed in the past week during traffic stops? Why are any of you calling for these murderers brought to justice?

It is getting a bit old hearing people compare police abuse to every other crime.

It is not the same thing when government abuses it's authority over civillians and when civillians commit crimes against each other.
    I don't believe I brought up race. And this is not comparing police abuse to every other crime. It's asking why the cop haters aren't outraged that 2 police officers were killed in the line of duty. But I'm sure some of the cop haters will think they had it comin'.
    I answered that question.

#copslivesmatter

Of course they do. I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Did I compare police abuse with every other crime?

Where did you answer the question?
    g under p said:

rgambs said:

Really, they are true cop haters on here or is that your perception of their feelings on police abuse and lack thereof their heroics? I don't hate police in the least they're needed to keep order and peace. What I dislike is at times or many times is their abuse of the power they've sworn to serve the public. I praise them when come to the rescue of the public and I'll certainly chastise them they abuse the people they're supposed to serve.

Peace
    There are cop haters here. If you felt I was speaking directly at you, I wasnt. Did you feel I directed that at you?

I did thumb through the "good cop" thread and in its 4 pages you did post 4 times. Two of the posts were praising and the other 2 posts were saying what cops shouldn't do. But that's not really relevant here.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170

g under p said:

rgambs said:

Peace
    There are cop haters here. If you felt I was speaking directly at you, I wasnt. Did you feel I directed that at you?

I did thumb through the "good cop" thread and in its 4 pages you did post 4 times. Two of the posts were praising and the other 2 posts were saying what cops shouldn't do. But that's not really relevant here.
    No I did think anything you've spoken about "cop haters" on here was directed towards me. I have said nothing for that reasoning to be directed towards me.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    I'm the furthest from a cop hater my brother in law retired a NYPD great guy ....
    Do i like abusive cops no
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

#copslivesmatter

If you kill a cop capital offense. If a black person is killed few care and is covered up. No comparison. Same with all lives matter. Some do matter more than others.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    callen said:

#copslivesmatter

If you kill a cop capital offense. If a black person is killed few care and is covered up. No comparison. Same with all lives matter. Some do matter more than others.
    This has been the case since the dawn of time. It has nothing to do with race. The whole #______ movement is silly to me. I was being sarcastic. I don't know why we have to put a pound sign in front of something to make it matter.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

#copslivesmatter

This has been the case since the dawn of time. It has nothing to do with race. The whole #______ movement is silly to me. I was being sarcastic. I don't know why we have to put a pound sign in front of something to make it matter.
    Oh ok. Yeah with you on the hashtag BS.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    callen said:

callen said:

#copslivesmatter

Absolutely, particularly when people put paragraph long lists of hashtags
    rgambs said:

callen said:

callen said:

#copslivesmatter

Like this?

#amovingtrainisagreatplacetodebateandihopeyouallhaveagoodweekend

rgambs said:

callen said:

callen said:

#copslivesmatter

Like this?

#amovingtrainisagreatplacetodebateandihopeyouallhaveagoodweekend
    Hahaha no, more like this:
    #amovingtrain#greatdebate#goodweekend #thisishowweroll#AMradiorulez#trumpforlyfe#gitrdun
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,559
    Thought about creating a separate thread for this but if we did that for every situation like this there would be at least a few pages of such threads.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/08/08/christian-taylor-killed_n_7959440.html

"ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — A police officer in suburban Dallas shot and killed a college football player during a struggle after the unarmed 19-year-old crashed a car through the front window of a car dealership, authorities said."

"The shooting comes amid increased scrutiny nationwide of police use of force, particularly in cases involving black suspects. Taylor was black. The race of the officer was not immediately known."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

Thought about creating a separate thread for this but if we did that for every situation like this there would be at least a few pages of such threads.

"ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — A police officer in suburban Dallas shot and killed a college football player during a struggle after the unarmed 19-year-old crashed a car through the front window of a car dealership, authorities said."

"The shooting comes amid increased scrutiny nationwide of police use of force, particularly in cases involving black suspects. Taylor was black. The race of the officer was not immediately known."

Doesn't appear to be any video of the shooting according to sources. Considering the extreme nature of the crime, it's likely whatever the police say will be the official record. Whether justified or not, my guess is it will be ruled justified.
  • brianlux said:

We need more details. At least I do before making a comment.

If the kid actually did drive his car into the windows of a car dealership and then fought with the cops... I'm not sure if this is an issue.

If the authorities made up a story, then I guess it would be an issue.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Was looking at the forced marriage thread and... off to the side and buried under bigger, bolder headlines, rested this piece:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/seneca-teen-dead-police-shooting/index.html

A white, unarmed teen killed by cop. Not boldly splashed on the front page given it's not quite the headline everybody is drooling for, but noteworthy I think? Maybe not?

According to reports, the kid tried to run over the cop and the cop fired. I thnik the cop could easily have done a Batman jump or Spiderman maneuver to avoid being squished. Come to think of it... why don't cops have webslingers? They would solve everything.
  • Was looking at the forced marriage thread and... off to the side and buried under bigger, bolder headlines, rested this piece:

A white, unarmed teen killed by cop. Not boldly splashed on the front page given it's not quite the headline everybody is drooling for, but noteworthy I think? Maybe not?

According to reports, the kid tried to run over the cop and the cop fired. I thnik the cop could easily have done a Batman jump or Spiderman maneuver to avoid being squished. Come to think of it... why don't cops have webslingers? They would solve everything.

I saw that too. Just like the previous story, will have to wait and see. I for one won't treat it any differently due to the race issue, but the media runs with what sells at the time.
    That shooting happened in columbia, sc. The Seneca police chief said the kid tried to run the cop over so the cop shot and killed him. I believe there are conflicting autopsy reports. The family had an autopsy done and claim the guy was shot in the back of the head from close range. I don't know what the official autopsy stated. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,559

Was looking at the forced marriage thread and... off to the side and buried under bigger, bolder headlines, rested this piece:

In the big-picture- I'd say yes, Thirty, noteworthy.

Speaking for myself of course, Thirty, I don't get a rise out these kinds of stories. In fact, I get very tired of hearing about them. But the reason I take notice is because I'm concerned about a) the number of incidents where cops are killing young people (and this goes back to what I was trying to say about British law enforcement and the fact that there is a lower percent of both violent crime and violent police response in England and other European countries) and b) the frequency with which black people in America are the targets of police brutality. And that's not just some knee jerk libtard granola eating Left Coast hippie reaction- it's what I've concluded over a long period of time reading about this stuff. The problems are real and generally not getting much better.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

Was looking at the forced marriage thread and... off to the side and buried under bigger, bolder headlines, rested this piece:

In the big-picture- I'd say yes, Thirty, noteworthy.

Speaking for myself of course, Thirty, I don't get a rise out these kinds of stories. In fact, I get very tired of hearing about them. But the reason I take notice is because I'm concerned about a) the number of incidents where cops are killing young people (and this goes back to what I was trying to say about British law enforcement and the fact that there is a lower percent of both violent crime and violent police response in England and other European countries) and b) the frequency with which black people in America are the targets of police brutality. And that's not just some knee jerk libtard granola eating Left Coast hippie reaction- it's what I've concluded over a long period of time reading about this stuff. The problems are real and generally not getting much better.

And I hope you got what I was getting at. The media steers us more than we care to admit.

Four UK officers killed in the line of duty over the last 6 and 1/2 years. It's safe to say that officers there aren't feeling very threatened by the citizens they police. They might be demonstrating better police work from an optic point of view, but their job is different than law enforcement in the US.

I'm not deliberately trying to absolve cops at every turn although it sure seems like that lately around these parts. I'm just saying the problem is profound and multifaceted. In particular, Callen himself said (tongue in cheek perhaps) what I've expressed several times: the economic disparity created through malicious and ruthless capitalist policies have left citizens (particularly those of color) with little hope. And, acting recklessly without hope, they find themselves face to face with law enforcement in less than cooperative and bordering on hostile fashion.

We are quick to point the finger at cops right in the moment, but doing this overlooks much of what is wrong with your country that leads to these situations. Having said this... the gross abuse incidents are repulsive and begs for some measure of change. But where exactly do we think the change would be most beneficial? At the point of conflict? Or before the conflict occurs?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    No matter what these incidents just seem to be happening way to often when will we as a civilized society start to see how we can get past the shootings , what do you think we need to do ...our culture here in USA is way more violent than any other in the world and I'm not talking about war torn nations that's a total different ball game ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/woman-publicly-sodomized-gas-station-parking-lot-cops-because-they-smelled-weed?sc=fb

I need more details. She was probably resisting, or giving attitude, or something.

I think I might start posting every police abuse case I see in my fb feed. there are SO many not being covered in this thread.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/woman-publicly-sodomized-gas-station-parking-lot-cops-because-they-smelled-weed?sc=fb

I need more details. She was probably resisting, or giving attitude, or something.

I think I might start posting every police abuse case I see in my fb feed. there are SO many not being covered in this thread.

You won't get a rise out of most of this crowd.
    The typical response is something like this:
    She resisted arrest, she has to deal with the consequences. Where is her personal responsibility?
    She should have consented to the rape and then sued the department after the fact. You have to obey an officers commands, be they lawful or not.
  • rgambs said:

She resisted arrest, she has to deal with the consequences. Where is her personal responsibility?
    She should have consented to the rape and then sued the department after the fact. You have to obey an officers commands, be they lawful or not.
    You won't get one from me based on what I read.

The crappy thing (no pun intended) about this case is that there were two officers involved and time permitted for at least one to say, "We don't need to search her ass."

When did cavity searches become illegal?

When did cavity searches become illegal?
    Don't you think a better question is when did cavity searches become legal?

Are you defending the cops penetrating a woman in public view at a stop for a minor traffic violation, over the suspicion of a misdemeanor amount of marijuana?

rgambs said:

The crappy thing (no pun intended) about this case is that there were two officers involved and time permitted for at least one to say, "We don't need to search her ass."
    I was confused by the article linked, it kept saying sodomy but also vaginal...either way it's pretty fucked up.
    Let's say they are searching her in a painfully aggressive way, and she physically resists. The cops rough her up, and then what? It's ruled justified, of course, and then what? She's out of luck, that's what.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I was confused by the article linked, it kept saying sodomy but also vaginal...either way it's pretty fucked up.
    Let's say they are searching her in a painfully aggressive way, and she physically resists. The cops rough her up, and then what? It's ruled justified, of course, and then what? She's out of luck, that's what.
    Yah. I'm thinking a search such as this should be done at the station after the rationale is presented to a supervisor/official that weighs out the need.

The article only presented one side- it was heavily biased. But outside of a few scenarios, this is heavy handed and a little insensitive. If they had found pot... so what? Of all the battles cops need to fight, a simple possession doesn't seem like something to ruthlessly pursue.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yah. I'm thinking a search such as this should be done at the station after the rationale is presented to a supervisor/official that weighs out the need.

The article only presented one side- it was heavily biased. But outside of a few scenarios, this is heavy handed and a little insensitive. If they had found pot... so what? Of all the battles cops need to fight, a simple possession doesn't seem like something to ruthlessly pursue.
    It was biased for sure.
    How much pot can you get in your ass? Surely not enough to get searched without a warrant.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Bias? The shocking part of this story is that it happened. What could the cop say that justifies this? So how would bias sway to their side? I don't give a shit what the laws say; cops are allowed discretion are they not?
This discussion has been closed.