Police abuse

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    callen said:

The elusive balance of force.

Houston cop randomly shot in back yesterday.

More guns for everyone. God given right. Woo hoo.

Couldn't pay me enough to be a cop.

Not today. If you handcuff someone to hard and it's caught on video, you have to resign.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,555
    callen said:

Like Henry Rollins once said quoting Chuck Dukowski who suggested, "give everybody guns and a lot of people are going to die and after a while it will all get sorted out."

Yee haw!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited June 2015

callen said:

Not today. If you handcuff someone to hard and it's caught on video, you have to resign.
    Hahaha you are a trip! Yours and Thirty's posts would be entirely indecipherable to someone who couldn't understand sarcasm.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    rgambs said:

The profession must be exceptionally alluring right now. It's definitely in great shape.

I'm pretty sure anyone with the aptitude to do the job well is anxious to enter the profession with the respect society affords it, the great pay, job conditions and the ho hum minimal risk associated with it.

When cities are taking anyone with a pulse to comprise their numbers... it's going to be worse. In truth, I fear we are already experiencing some of this already. The pool of candidates has slimmed over the last few decades for the RCMP and its getting bleaker.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colin-kenny-on-the-rcmp-bigger-mandate-fewer-officers

There are several arm chair quarterbacks that seem to know so much about the job and could give the profession such a needed boost- I wish they would.

Some of those armchair quarterbacks are offering solutions to raise the quality of police work by raising the quality of candidates and quality of life for officers... Meanwhile some armchair cheerleaders are trying to maintain the status quo by denying there is a problem at all.
    Well to deny that there's not a problem with police work in this country is a huge problem. As if what we see before us can NEVER happen to any of us. Believe me it can even "if we comply with an officers commands". Officers don't ALL lose control and give a beat down to our citizenry, it may just come down to what itch he or she wants to scratch on a given day.

I'd rather be a soldier than a police officer in today's world, many times one is looked up upon positively than the other. It's just NOT an easy job in the least.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    edited June 2015
    rgambs said:

The profession must be exceptionally alluring right now. It's definitely in great shape.

I'm pretty sure anyone with the aptitude to do the job well is anxious to enter the profession with the respect society affords it, the great pay, job conditions and the ho hum minimal risk associated with it.

When cities are taking anyone with a pulse to comprise their numbers... it's going to be worse. In truth, I fear we are already experiencing some of this already. The pool of candidates has slimmed over the last few decades for the RCMP and its getting bleaker.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colin-kenny-on-the-rcmp-bigger-mandate-fewer-officers

There are several arm chair quarterbacks that seem to know so much about the job and could give the profession such a needed boost- I wish they would.

Some of those armchair quarterbacks are offering solutions to raise the quality of police work by raising the quality of candidates and quality of life for officers... Meanwhile some armchair cheerleaders are trying to maintain the status quo by denying there is a problem at all.
    i think most reasonable people understand that at times police clearly have gone overboard. i just don't think in this particular video that is the case. i think there is a lot of varying degrees for the definition of 'use whatever force is necessary' to control a situation.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    rgambs said:

callen said:

Hahaha you are a trip! Yours and Thirty's posts would be entirely indecipherable to someone who couldn't understand sarcasm.
    Who's being sarcastic? Andy Griffith would get fired in today's police world!

rgambs said:

callen said:

Sure, if you consider paid administrative leave being fired. You are so wrong about that it's laughable. It takes so much to fire a cop, arbitration drags on for years even when they are convicted of crimes.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

Sure, if you consider paid administrative leave being fired. You are so wrong about that it's laughable. It takes so much to fire a cop, arbitration drags on for years even when they are convicted of crimes.
    I'm surprised the cop in SC who shot that man in the back is STILL in jail. I thought for sure someone would find a way to get him out on bail. Then again he just might be safer there in his cell.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

So cops haven't been fired? That's what you're telling me?

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

So cops haven't been fired? That's what you're telling me?
    It seems to me there is a good bit of middle ground between Andy Griffith getting fired and no cops getting fired. Perhaps since you are espousing an opinion far outside the middle ground it's reasonable to you to assume I am on the extreme as well, but it's a false assumption.
    Of course saying Andy Griffith would get fired was an exaggeration. You said you could read sarcasm.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Pretty lame story to get people all fired up. Is this getting a lot of coverage?
    Pulling his gun was the only thing I found even a little shocking. I am 110% not the type to give a cop the benefit of the doubt just because he's a cop. But I really don't see why this is such a big deal. Yes, the cop escalated the situation....this is news? Happens every five minutes, I'm sure. I've been treated way worse than that by cops when I was a kid, and totally unprovoked...I never considered pressing charges. As has been said here already - the difference was: no cameras. I learned the hard way that if possible, it's best to just gtfo if cops are around. So ya, I see the argument that these kids were being idiots...and I obviously see the argument that this was a cowboy, power tripping cop....same as prob 25% or more of the force. This is not news.

Should we LOOK for reasons to be divided and argue over this shit? I really can't see the 'microcosm of race relations' angle that is being touted; it's a suburban pool party that got crashed then broken up ffs. Our nightly news has become another episode of COPS. Nothing says clickbait like teen girls in bikinis and racist cops.....sensationalize minor incidents like this to get people to your page, or advertisers for your broadcast. Not that racial bias in policing, abuse, etc isn't a serious issue...I just think this is a really silly story to hold up as a reason for the discussion.
    Reminded me of this...saw it on fb a while ago:

This is an event that just happened up here.
    The striking comment that got me was that "This morning a Woman woke up without a husband and children woke up without their father."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suspect-in-fatal-edmonton-police-shooting-accused-of-hate-crime-1.2413122
    Police never know where a mundane call will lead. So if force is necessary in the officers mind to control their individual situation so be it. I can't imagine being this Police officers partner and surviving.

We give Police the right to exercise their judgement because it is something we won't do. It is quite shocking how some on this thread have a disdain for police all round. Much like the out of control free speeched punks in the video.

So this is not me quick to a Police officers defence it is me stating that I respect police and they at the core are human like us.

They happen to do a job that requires unlimited liability every shift they take. So the roughness those kids got - so be it.

There was a thread that got closed, it was called "What is AMT for"? I don't remember who started it but it was a good thread. At times this place is too-anti authority which is deterring for many who may want to post in AMT.

edit - and yes I am aware of this http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/texas-police-officer-resigns-amid-pool-party-video-outrage-1.2413260

I disagree. I think this place has a healthy amount of anti-authority sentiment; something that I think can be correlated to being informed about current events.
    This is as good a place as any to rant about something that has been bugging me since this cop was shot in Edmonton the other day. I realize there is a segment of people that are overly critical about police - who disrespect them and find excuses for undue criticism. But the people with this attitude are dwarfed in numbers by those who hold cops in the highest esteem, and defend their actions based on the fact that they're 'heroes', or because they're doing a tough/thankless job. We have a few here.
    These are the ten deadliest jobs in Canada (its basically the same 10 in a different order in the US) :
    1. Loggers: falling trees, cutting equipment.
    2. Fisheries workers: drowning, heavy equipment.
    3. Pilots and flight engineers: air disturbances, high altitudes, takeoffs and landings.
    4. Roofers: falling from heights, heat stroke in summer.
    5. Structural iron and steel workers: falling from heights, heavy materials, welding.
    6. Garbage and recyclables collectors: hazardous materials, heavy equipment, road accidents.
    7. Electrical power line installers and repairers: electricity, falling from heights.
    8. Truck drivers and mobile sales workers: road accidents, exhaustion.
    9. Farmers, ranchers, agricultural managers: heavy equipment, large animals.
    10. Construction workers: dangerous equipment and large animals.

No cops, no firefighters. In fact, firefighters have one of the safest jobs out there - Firefighters die at a rate of 2.5 per 100,000 workers, which is slightly above the rate for cashiers (1.6). And those stats include 9/11...hopefully a once-in a lifetime anomaly. Police officers die on the job at the rate of 18.6 per 100,000 (american figures - I would expect that canadian numbers are WAY lower for police deaths). Loggers are around 128/100k. Now before you start in on pay for cops, consider that loggers make about 25k/yr, and don't get a pension anywhere near what a cop does. Firefighters are generally very, very well paid, with awesome pensions.
    So where is the love and respect and hero worship for the people who provide our food, pick up our trash, provide us power and cheap goods and put roofs over our heads? A kid (well, 23) died on a construction site in Edmonton a couple years back...it was settled in court the other day - $275k fine and no charges laid. Barely mentioned in the news. I know there is an intent factor to consider that makes a shooting more tragic (thus a better sell for news outlets). But deaths in the above listed fields happen monthly (or more) in alberta, with very little fanfare. A cop gets shot on the job - the first time in 25 years in our city, and there is non-stop news coverage from every outlet, nationwide, for a week. Then memorials erected, memorial funds created, streets and parks renamed, and countless interviews with teary-eyed strangers calling the guy a hero. Maybe dying while doing his job did make him a hero.... but I don't think he is really much more of a hero than anyone else who dies doing their job. Not to the extent of the imbalance in respect shown. All of our jobs serve a function in society. Most, anyway.
    We over-value some people, and under-value others. I dont' think a cop (or any other profession), deserves any more respect than a cashier, unless it's earned thru their actions. I think this comes full circle to the masses being TOO conformist to authority....there are a lot of people who put first responders and the military on a pedestal solely because of they have the cliches I mentioned above stuck in their heads at all time: they're keeping us safe / doing a thankless job / real heroes etc. This mindset of unconditional admiration of those with the ability to control us (including the politicians we side with and the billionaires we aspire to become) contributes to a militarized, fall-in-line society; one that is apathetic and resistant to change....because rocking the boat means upsetting authority. Just another symptom of lack of critical thinking and ability to grasp nuance. Giving respect to anyone based on their title alone is ridiculous.
    Pilots at 3? Really?

Pilots at 3? Really?

That surprises me too.

The striking comment that got me was that "This morning a Woman woke up without a husband and children woke up without their father."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suspect-in-fatal-edmonton-police-shooting-accused-of-hate-crime-1.2413122
    Police never know where a mundane call will lead. So if force is necessary in the officers mind to control their individual situation so be it. I can't imagine being this Police officers partner and surviving.

We give Police the right to exercise their judgement because it is something we won't do. It is quite shocking how some on this thread have a disdain for police all round. Much like the out of control free speeched punks in the video.

So this is not me quick to a Police officers defence it is me stating that I respect police and they at the core are human like us.

They happen to do a job that requires unlimited liability every shift they take. So the roughness those kids got - so be it.

There was a thread that got closed, it was called "What is AMT for"? I don't remember who started it but it was a good thread. At times this place is too-anti authority which is deterring for many who may want to post in AMT.

edit - and yes I am aware of this http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/texas-police-officer-resigns-amid-pool-party-video-outrage-1.2413260

I disagree. I think this place has a healthy amount of anti-authority sentiment; something that I think can be correlated to being informed about current events.
    This is as good a place as any to rant about something that has been bugging me since this cop was shot in Edmonton the other day. I realize there is a segment of people that are overly critical about police - who disrespect them and find excuses for undue criticism. But the people with this attitude are dwarfed in numbers by those who hold cops in the highest esteem, and defend their actions based on the fact that they're 'heroes', or because they're doing a tough/thankless job. We have a few here.
    These are the ten deadliest jobs in Canada (its basically the same 10 in a different order in the US) :
    3. Pilots and flight engineers: air disturbances, high altitudes, takeoffs and landings.
    5. Structural iron and steel workers: falling from heights, heavy materials, welding.
    6. Garbage and recyclables collectors: hazardous materials, heavy equipment, road accidents.
    7. Electrical power line installers and repairers: electricity, falling from heights.

No cops, no firefighters. In fact, firefighters have one of the safest jobs out there - Firefighters die at a rate of 2.5 per 100,000 workers, which is slightly above the rate for cashiers (1.6). And those stats include 9/11...hopefully a once-in a lifetime anomaly. Police officers die on the job at the rate of 18.6 per 100,000 (american figures - I would expect that canadian numbers are WAY lower for police deaths). Loggers are around 128/100k. Now before you start in on pay for cops, consider that loggers make about 25k/yr, and don't get a pension anywhere near what a cop does. Firefighters are generally very, very well paid, with awesome pensions.
    So where is the love and respect and hero worship for the people who provide our food, pick up our trash, provide us power and cheap goods and put roofs over our heads? A kid (well, 23) died on a construction site in Edmonton a couple years back...it was settled in court the other day - $275k fine and no charges laid. Barely mentioned in the news. I know there is an intent factor to consider that makes a shooting more tragic (thus a better sell for news outlets). But deaths in the above listed fields happen monthly (or more) in alberta, with very little fanfare. A cop gets shot on the job - the first time in 25 years in our city, and there is non-stop news coverage from every outlet, nationwide, for a week. Then memorials erected, memorial funds created, streets and parks renamed, and countless interviews with teary-eyed strangers calling the guy a hero. Maybe dying while doing his job did make him a hero.... but I don't think he is really much more of a hero than anyone else who dies doing their job. Not to the extent of the imbalance in respect shown. All of our jobs serve a function in society. Most, anyway.
    We over-value some people, and under-value others. I dont' think a cop (or any other profession), deserves any more respect than a cashier, unless it's earned thru their actions. I think this comes full circle to the masses being TOO conformist to authority....there are a lot of people who put first responders and the military on a pedestal solely because of they have the cliches I mentioned above stuck in their heads at all time: they're keeping us safe / doing a thankless job / real heroes etc. This mindset of unconditional admiration of those with the ability to control us (including the politicians we side with and the billionaires we aspire to become) contributes to a militarized, fall-in-line society; one that is apathetic and resistant to change....because rocking the boat means upsetting authority. Just another symptom of lack of critical thinking and ability to grasp nuance. Giving respect to anyone based on their title alone is ridiculous.
    Big fan of this post!

Pretty lame story to get people all fired up. Is this getting a lot of coverage?
    Pulling his gun was the only thing I found even a little shocking. I am 110% not the type to give a cop the benefit of the doubt just because he's a cop. But I really don't see why this is such a big deal. Yes, the cop escalated the situation....this is news? Happens every five minutes, I'm sure. I've been treated way worse than that by cops when I was a kid, and totally unprovoked...I never considered pressing charges. As has been said here already - the difference was: no cameras. I learned the hard way that if possible, it's best to just gtfo if cops are around. So ya, I see the argument that these kids were being idiots...and I obviously see the argument that this was a cowboy, power tripping cop....same as prob 25% or more of the force. This is not news.

Should we LOOK for reasons to be divided and argue over this shit? I really can't see the 'microcosm of race relations' angle that is being touted; it's a suburban pool party that got crashed then broken up ffs. Our nightly news has become another episode of COPS. Nothing says clickbait like teen girls in bikinis and racist cops.....sensationalize minor incidents like this to get people to your page, or advertisers for your broadcast. Not that racial bias in policing, abuse, etc isn't a serious issue...I just think this is a really silly story to hold up as a reason for the discussion.
    Reminded me of this...saw it on fb a while ago:

It is getting a ton of coverage...you know how the media is. There isn't a reliable way to guess which events will get us arguing and which won't, we are a complicated bunch lol

I don't think this case is all that bad, but the debate around it is interesting. The cops that pounded the horseman were much worse than this guy, but the fact that it was a teenage girl, the way he treated her made my blood boil.

Pilots at 3? Really?

light aircraft....helicopters, bush pilots, crop dusters....dangerous as fuck!

This incident at the swimming pool is far from someone rocking the boat. Whether you want to respect a cop or not, you do have to listen to them. If they tell you to move, you move. If the guy tells you to freeze, you freeze.

I agree with you that respect is earned, especially on an individual basis. But the profession itself, just as firefighting, requires some respect from the public. Had this girl had the slightest bit of respect for the profession, she wouldn't have had a knee in her back. It really is that simple. And that is not a lack of critical thinking. Some are forgetting that most of those kids were there illegally.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,112

No, we shouldn't. Many do though. Especially so when it comes to race.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    rgambs said:

It is getting a ton of coverage...you know how the media is. There isn't a reliable way to guess which events will get us arguing and which won't, we are a complicated bunch lol

I don't think this case is all that bad, but the debate around it is interesting. The cops that pounded the horseman were much worse than this guy, but the fact that it was a teenage girl, the way he treated her made my blood boil.

oh no doubt there....it does set a guy off to see that kind of thing, and understandably so. But I mean....only because it's in our faces, right? If our news coverage showed US soldier amputees and dead syrian kids all night, or dead bees, or oil slicks in our water, I like to think that we'd be more prone to focusing on that kind of thing....which falls in line with the meme thingy I posted.
    I disagree that there isn't a reliable way for the media to guess what will get us talking/arguing...first - sex sells. Scandals, sexual morality, etc....Then there are the old standbys - religion and politics..... This is why we see sensationalized (relatively) stories about Westboro, ISIS, the religious right and their pet causes....Race relations is also an obviously divisive topic. The angles from which the media approaches, and the weight given to one story over another, makes it pretty easy to see that they're selling something....and burying stories that would affect the bottom line of their parent corps.

This incident at the swimming pool is far from someone rocking the boat. Whether you want to respect a cop or not, you do have to listen to them. If they tell you to move, you move. If the guy tells you to freeze, you freeze.

I agree with you that respect is earned, especially on an individual basis. But the profession itself, just as firefighting, requires some respect from the public. Had this girl had the slightest bit of respect for the profession, she wouldn't have had a knee in her back. It really is that simple. And that is not a lack of critical thinking. Some are forgetting that most of those kids were there illegally.
    My rant was generalized, not intended to be about this story in particular. I agree with most everything you said....tho I think the 'some respect' part you mentioned is more about self-respect...as in self preservation. It's not smart to disobey cops if you don't want to get dragged into a bunch of bullshit. I really have nothing negative to say about firefighters, but ya...they get even more hero worship than cops, for an easier, higher paying job....not to mention all the women throwing themselves at you :lol: (yes, I'm jealous ha)

My rant was generalized, not intended to be about this story in particular. I agree with most everything you said....tho I think the 'some respect' part you mentioned is more about self-respect...as in self preservation. It's not smart to disobey cops if you don't want to get dragged into a bunch of bullshit. I really have nothing negative to say about firefighters, but ya...they get even more hero worship than cops, for an easier, higher paying job....not to mention all the women throwing themselves at you :lol: (yes, I'm jealous ha)
    Easier? That's funny.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

Easier? That's funny.
    That whole thing was funny, It sure would make a great Onion Article. Thanks for Laugh

Easier? That's funny.
    :lol: firefighters aren't the fattest profession in America; maybe I misspoke there.
    Stirring the pot a little, sorry.
    edited June 2015
    muskydan said:

Easier? That's funny.
    That whole thing was funny, It sure would make a great Onion Article. Thanks for Laugh
    Yuk yuk. Like haha funny or bumpy ride to the station funny? (Your bumpy ride stories are prime examples of why I don't respect a cop for their title)
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

Easier? That's funny.
    Yuk yuk. Like haha funny or bumpy ride to the station funny? (Your bumpy ride stories are prime examples of why I don't respect a cop for their title)
    not even close, but please keep on trying
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

Thanks Drowned Out for this post. I have been thinking along the same lines but never put the thought into it to get it in a coherent post. A whole host of professions do hard, dangerous, and important work that doesn't get recognized and lauded in the way that police and similar professions do. You've mentioned some in your list above (although I may quibble about the importance to society of one of two of those) . I'd add nurses and other allied health professionals who, day in and day out, deal with abusive and ungrateful patients, putting themselves at risk of being assaulted and well as the risks involved with infectious diseases. This doesn't mean the policing isn't challenging and necessary, just that it should not be viewed as so challenging and necessary by definition that its practices can't be critiqued.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Great posts Drowned. But just because I'm interested in this story of abuse, doesn't mean I am (or others for that matter) are ignoring any other events going on in the world.

Thanks Drowned Out for this post. I have been thinking along the same lines but never put the thought into it to get it in a coherent post. A whole host of professions do hard, dangerous, and important work that doesn't get recognized and lauded in the way that police and similar professions do. You've mentioned some in your list above (although I may quibble about the importance to society of one of two of those) . I'd add nurses and other allied health professionals who, day in and day out, deal with abusive and ungrateful patients, putting themselves at risk of being assaulted and well as the risks involved with infectious diseases. This doesn't mean the policing isn't challenging and necessary, just that it should not be viewed as so challenging and necessary by definition that its practices can't be critiqued.
    I'm curious which you think aren't important to society?
    I don't think there is any career on that list that could be eliminated without a complete overhaul of society - including firefighters and cops (not that an overhaul would be a bad thing - I'm talking status quo).

This discussion has been closed.