• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,316
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    Does taunting police warrant groups being maced? I do not believe so imo. 

WTF indeed!  How do people like this get to be cops?   If they can't control themselves over a little taunting they are in the wrong line of work.  Fire these worthless sons of bitches.
    I am really curious what their instructions are from their higher ups with these kinds of things. Was this guy a higher up taking the lead or are these guys going on their own knowing there is very little repercussions so far for bad behavior. 

You would think the leaderships guidance would be take the verbal abuse from the peaceful protesters. Suck it up and earn respect back from the public. Not this. This is causing more anger. 
    It’s mind boggling. 
    It looks bad from the segment we're shown, which is why I hate social media. We never get to see everything, not that it would justify what happened, but it may indicate what led to them moving in. I can't quite tell what the male does with his left hand right before they act. Maybe flips them off, maybe makes an obscene gesture, no idea. Still excessive if that's all he did.
    It was posted for a knee jerk reaction.  The cops right now are all on edge and so are the people.  You want to protest then protest.  Leave the cops alone.
    Excessive?  Maybe. But like said above you don't know what else happened.

I always think of a Jello Biafra quote "when you ape the cops it's not anarchy"

On another note whomever posted that Kareem piece thank you.  He is one of the more thought provoking atheletes out there.
    The cops inaction in self policing doesn’t provide them any room for error here. Too many videos like that. 
    Agree completely. If the public is confident in how they hold their own accountable, we'd give a pretty wide berth on self defense given how dangerous the job is. The reason they feel like people are turning on them is because we have almost no confidence that the first part is happening. 
    Powerful statement.  It made me think and I thank you for that.
    I appreciate your saying that. I really hope some change comes out of this moment.
    Cuomo is wanting that change
    https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-calls-standardized-police-misconduct-policies-across-america

What is sad though is the police force views certain things as a punch in the face.  Change can be good and it can be bad.  We shall see.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    I have asked what I consider good local police officers that are friends and family members of mine the same question as to what I am going to ask here and have never really gotten a good response. If there are only a few bad apples in the police force why are the good ones allowing the bad ones to tarnish their name and drag them in the mud too? Why are they not policing each other and calling the bad cops out more often? In my field of work if someone is not doing their job safely or putting someones else's life on the line that shit is called out immediately and the problem is fixed one way or another whether through retraining or suspension/being fired. Why are cops not able to control their own? It honestly baffles me. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I have asked what I consider good local police officers that are friends and family members of mine the same question as to what I am going to ask here and have never really gotten a good response. If there are only a few bad apples in the police force why are the good ones allowing the bad ones to tarnish their name and drag them in the mud too? Why are they not policing each other and calling the bad cops out more often? In my field of work if someone is not doing their job safely or putting someones else's life on the line that shit is called out immediately and the problem is fixed one way or another whether through retraining or suspension/being fired. Why are cops not able to control their own? It honestly baffles me. 
    Same thing in the military.

You could have a good cop w a bad moment.  It happens.

You ask an interesting question but I think we have watched enough movies and read enough stories on why.

I don't want to say "nothing can be done"  I think you need to change the culture.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    PJNB said:

You ask an interesting question but I think we have watched enough movies and read enough stories on why.

I don't want to say "nothing can be done"  I think you need to change the culture.
    Something like "A Few Good Men" paints the picture well. Sure that's military and not police, but I'm sure it's similar. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJNB said:

Something like "A Few Good Men" paints the picture well. Sure that's military and not police, but I'm sure it's similar. 
    Commissioner Gordon in Batman, American Gangster, tons more.

Change the culture.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Maybe posted before but damn..

Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,013
    PJNB said:

It happens amongst doctors too.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

yeah its always the "Outsiders"....  :s  
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    nicknyr15 said:
    my down the street neighbor had one of those thin blue line flags hanging from his house last week. yesterday, as i was working in the yard i witnessed a crew install not one, but two flagpoles in the front yard. when i drove home from dinner last night, i noticed that he now has two large thin blue line flags flying. one from each pole. i thought it was weird that they were still up on the pole at night. then i thought it would be a shame if someone ran those poles down with their car, haha.
    Kind of weird to vilify an entire work force. Easy to bash them until you need them to save your life. Imagine every time a teacher sexually molests a minor , we looked at every teacher in that light. I think hanging a blue line flag and a BLM flag would have been a real statement. 
    i do not believe that anybody would fly one of each. they are mutually exclusive.

and until cops can go a day without cracking skulls on innocent people or executing people over nonviolent crime they are unworthy of my respect. that is where i am right now.

to join that profession, with the thin blue line covering for all of the bad cops, you have to have some sort of mental pathology. i am more inclined to feel sorry for them than to support them.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    PJNB said:

Excellent question, PJNB. 

How many bad apples depends a lot on which police department you look at.  Not all law enforcement agencies hire under the same guidelines and not all place attract the same level of competency.  So in a town like mine, there isn't the same scenario where cops might need to reprimand the bad apples because they seem to be pretty decent cops for the most part.  In Minneapolis, not so.  None of the other cops did a thing to stop Chauvin from killing George Floyd.  All bad apples in that bunch.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    All 4 Minneapolis cops will face trial now.
  • Options
    What are they being charged with? I'm not seeing this anywhere. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    nicknyr15 said:
    my down the street neighbor had one of those thin blue line flags hanging from his house last week. yesterday, as i was working in the yard i witnessed a crew install not one, but two flagpoles in the front yard. when i drove home from dinner last night, i noticed that he now has two large thin blue line flags flying. one from each pole. i thought it was weird that they were still up on the pole at night. then i thought it would be a shame if someone ran those poles down with their car, haha.
    Kind of weird to vilify an entire work force. Easy to bash them until you need them to save your life. Imagine every time a teacher sexually molests a minor , we looked at every teacher in that light. I think hanging a blue line flag and a BLM flag would have been a real statement. 
    i do not believe that anybody would fly one of each. they are mutually exclusive.

and until cops can go a day without cracking skulls on innocent people or executing people over nonviolent crime they are unworthy of my respect. that is where i am right now.

to join that profession, with the thin blue line covering for all of the bad cops, you have to have some sort of mental pathology. i am more inclined to feel sorry for them than to support them.
    I disagree but I respect your stance wholeheartedly and appreciate your response. 
  • Options
    What are they being charged with? I'm not seeing this anywhere. 
    Just checked. They're yet to say what the other three are charged with, but for the main cop, they've upped the charge to second-degree murder (which is what it should have been to begin with). 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited June 2020

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,359

Larry Bird is a police chief now?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

How many bad apples depends a lot on which police department you look at.  Not all law enforcement agencies hire under the same guidelines and not all place attract the same level of competency.  So in a town like mine, there isn't the same scenario where cops might need to reprimand the bad apples because they seem to be pretty decent cops for the most part.  In Minneapolis, not so.  None of the other cops did a thing to stop Chauvin from killing George Floyd.  All bad apples in that bunch.
    It is so crazy to me. Everyone should support cops. They have an incredibly tough job in some areas but they also signed up for it. They are heroes just like people that go into the military are. I was close to choosing one of these two paths as a career when I was younger. Looking back I am glad I did not but respect those that did. 

Where I live I do not see this stuff everyday. Violence on cops is almost non existent here as is police brutality for the most part. Maybe that is why I just do not get it. A police officer got caught calling someone an asshole in their vehicle outside of a Tim Hortons and ticketed them for hanging out in the parking lot during Covid isolation. That was big news here. I do not live in this madness everyday as some civilians and police do and maybe pretending like I have an answer is me being tone deaf to the whole thing. It does not take much research however to see that there is a huge problem with police from the top down in a lot of areas that needs some kind of reform. I am willing to bet there are a lot of cops that would support some kind of change.  I would guess that they are the silent majority but fear to speak out due to career suicide or worse. You gotta have my back because some day you are going to need me to have yours mentality needs to be snuffed out and the bad apples however many there are needs to be dealt with as swiftly as any civilians crime would be. Just my two cents of babbling. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It is so crazy to me. Everyone should support cops. They have an incredibly tough job in some areas but they also signed up for it. They are heroes just like people that go into the military are. I was close to choosing one of these two paths as a career when I was younger. Looking back I am glad I did not but respect those that did. 

Where I live I do not see this stuff everyday. Violence on cops is almost non existent here as is police brutality for the most part. Maybe that is why I just do not get it. A police officer got caught calling someone an asshole in their vehicle outside of a Tim Hortons and ticketed them for hanging out in the parking lot during Covid isolation. That was big news here. I do not live in this madness everyday as some civilians and police do and maybe pretending like I have an answer is me being tone deaf to the whole thing. It does not take much research however to see that there is a huge problem with police from the top down in a lot of areas that needs some kind of reform. I am willing to bet there are a lot of cops that would support some kind of change.  I would guess that they are the silent majority but fear to speak out due to career suicide or worse. You gotta have my back because some day you are going to need me to have yours mentality needs to be snuffed out and the bad apples however many there are needs to be dealt with as swiftly as any civilians crime would be. Just my two cents of babbling. 
    Well said. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    PJNB said:
    I think the biggest part is the fraternity that comes from the union. It permeates everything - for example, I have an LEO buddy who has gotten out of drunk driving more than once by flashing his badge to the cop who pulled him over. That's the subtext behind the thin blue line iconography - from flags to bumper stickers.

Reason published a good opinion piece on this topic today.

https://reason.com/2020/06/03/its-time-to-bust-police-unions/?amp&__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    I'm almost disappointed the other three cops were charged.  Adding in the increased charge to Chauvin, and I think the verdict(s) will come out disappointingly.  More rioting...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Today I've seen video after video of police abuse run rampant... The old "A few bad apples" has now been smashed. A few Good Apples? ...maybe.. We must change how we police in America. This system is not working for the people. 

• Options
    edited June 2020
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

Question...... If a Policeman responds to a woman's question of "what is gong to happen at curfew?" is "We're gonna beat the fuck out of you" --- Is that Police Officer a hero?  

https://youtu.be/sSMs14zdPbI?t=335

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

If I kept getting bad apples, then I might start to think the entire orchid has a problem. 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

Question...... If a Policeman responds to a woman's question of "what is gong to happen at curfew?" is "We're gonna beat the fuck out of you" --- Is that Police Officer a hero?  

https://youtu.be/sSMs14zdPbI?t=340

I have seen a lot of these video's. I have seen the vids of the police radios being stolen and heard to kill them all, run them over etc. There is a lot of evidence out there in the last couple of days that should be very alarming to every person out there. I would not call that police officer a hero and I would not call the cops that laugh or cheer this on hero's as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
     How the F?? Can local police and sheriff departments buy these WAR vehicles, yet our teachers have to strike to get tiny pay raises?  

Below vehicle costs $500,000 each....  floor mats extra !!!!

Our priorities need to change!!!!!!

you only need this in a war zone.... is the plan to go to war with the people?

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,439
     How the F?? Can local police and sheriff departments buy these WAR vehicles, yet our teachers have to strike to get tiny pay raises?  

Below vehicle costs $500,000 each....  floor mats extra !!!!

Our priorities need to change!!!!!!

you only need this in a war zone.... is the plan to go to war with the people?

Maybe.  Generations of Americans and other countries have seen civil unrest and civil war...we have a dictator as a President and he has an army of voters who carry huge weapons.  Peaceful protesters don't stand a chance of this gets really, really ugly.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    myoung321 said:
    Today I've seen video after video of police abuse run rampant... The old "A few bad apples" has now been smashed. A few Good Apples? ...maybe.. We must change how we police in America. This system is not working for the people. 

It does happen inexcusably, but keep in mind that the videos are at the forefront so of course it will appear the good are the exceptions.

Human nature will never change; departments’ handling of these men and women is what needs to change.

ALL are accountable for their actions, regardless of profession. 

• Options
    edited June 2020
    hedonist said:
    myoung321 said:

It does happen inexcusably, but keep in mind that the videos are at the forefront so of course it will appear the good are the exceptions.

Human nature will never change; departments’ handling of these men and women is what needs to change.

Agree, but what then if the "good" is the exception?  

Did you know... First Police Station was in Boston in 1838? - We did not have the type of policing across the country as we do today until the 1850s  .... how did the U.S. and humanity survive before? 

Just because it's all we know does not mean there aren't alternative ways to handle peace keeping in a society..  

Think of it this way.......Many of us "older" members here are old enough to remember life before the internet... today younger generation could not image a world without it... We just can't imagine a country without the policing we have today... hopefully like other things...one day a future generations will laugh at how we had Military Style Police int he streets..... I CAN ONLY HOPE!!!!!!!!

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited June 2020
    myoung321 said:
    hedonist said:
    myoung321 said:

Agree, but what then if the "good" is the exception?  

Did you know... First Police Station was in Boston in 1838? - We did not have the type of policing across the country as we do today until the 1850s  .... how did the U.S. and humanity survive before? 

Just because it's all we know does not mean there aren't alternative ways to handle peace keeping in a society..  

Think of it this way.......Many of us "older" members here are old enough to remember life before the internet... today younger generation could not image a world without it... We just can't imagine a country without the policing we have today... hopefully like other things...one day a future generations will laugh at how we had Military Style Police int he streets..... I CAN ONLY HOPE!!!!!!!!
    I hear what you’re saying, but some people can’t even police themselves.

What were the police here to do when people were being beaten for protecting their property? Or those who decided to burn and trash many small businesses? Who might you call for help when you’re in danger and unable to protect yourself?

I’m all for alternatives, but I have yet to see any viable or realistic ones. 
This discussion has been closed.