Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    hedonist said:
    myoung321 said:
    hedonist said:
    myoung321 said:
    Today I've seen video after video of police abuse run rampant... The old "A few bad apples" has now been smashed. A few Good Apples? ...maybe.. We must change how we police in America. This system is not working for the people. 

It does happen inexcusably, but keep in mind that the videos are at the forefront so of course it will appear the good are the exceptions.

Human nature will never change; departments’ handling of these men and women is what needs to change.

ALL are accountable for their actions, regardless of profession. 

Agree, but what then if the "good" is the exception?  

Did you know... First Police Station was in Boston in 1838? - We did not have the type of policing across the country as we do today until the 1850s  .... how did the U.S. and humanity survive before? 

Just because it's all we know does not mean there aren't alternative ways to handle peace keeping in a society..  

Think of it this way.......Many of us "older" members here are old enough to remember life before the internet... today younger generation could not image a world without it... We just can't imagine a country without the policing we have today... hopefully like other things...one day a future generations will laugh at how we had Military Style Police int he streets..... I CAN ONLY HOPE!!!!!!!!
    I hear what you’re saying, but some people can’t even police themselves.

What were the police here to do when people were being beaten for protecting their property? Or those who decided to burn and trash many small businesses? Who might you call for help when you’re in danger and unable to protect yourself?

I’m all for alternatives, but I have yet to see any viable or realistic ones. 
    We don't need militarized police on US soil to protect us!

This is not the AMERICA I WANT! 

Not sure what you've been seeing, but most of the "Beating of People" has been done by the police..... during and before these protest

https://youtu.be/PoWVX3ZhLvg 

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,376
    Ayanna Pressley now a co-lead on the bill

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    myoung321 said:
    hedonist said:
    myoung321 said:
    Today I've seen video after video of police abuse run rampant... The old "A few bad apples" has now been smashed. A few Good Apples? ...maybe.. We must change how we police in America. This system is not working for the people. 

It does happen inexcusably, but keep in mind that the videos are at the forefront so of course it will appear the good are the exceptions.

Human nature will never change; departments’ handling of these men and women is what needs to change.

ALL are accountable for their actions, regardless of profession. 

Agree, but what then if the "good" is the exception?  

Did you know... First Police Station was in Boston in 1838? - We did not have the type of policing across the country as we do today until the 1850s  .... how did the U.S. and humanity survive before? 

Just because it's all we know does not mean there aren't alternative ways to handle peace keeping in a society..  

Think of it this way.......Many of us "older" members here are old enough to remember life before the internet... today younger generation could not image a world without it... We just can't imagine a country without the policing we have today... hopefully like other things...one day a future generations will laugh at how we had Military Style Police int he streets..... I CAN ONLY HOPE!!!!!!!!
    Militarization of the police is a serious issue that needs dealt with immediately, but citing history from before 1850 isn't a serious response to policing issues.
    How did the US and humanity survive before?
    With little rule of law, and a crazy amount of lunch mobs and rough riding posses.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,438
    I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer with regards to how other countries have turned things around so what needs to happen, the police and military have to switch sides?  Completely join the protestors?  How do the citizens completely take over?  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,304
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    I have asked what I consider good local police officers that are friends and family members of mine the same question as to what I am going to ask here and have never really gotten a good response. If there are only a few bad apples in the police force why are the good ones allowing the bad ones to tarnish their name and drag them in the mud too? Why are they not policing each other and calling the bad cops out more often? In my field of work if someone is not doing their job safely or putting someones else's life on the line that shit is called out immediately and the problem is fixed one way or another whether through retraining or suspension/being fired. Why are cops not able to control their own? It honestly baffles me. 
    I think the biggest part is the fraternity that comes from the union. It permeates everything - for example, I have an LEO buddy who has gotten out of drunk driving more than once by flashing his badge to the cop who pulled him over. That's the subtext behind the thin blue line iconography - from flags to bumper stickers.

Reason published a good opinion piece on this topic today.

https://reason.com/2020/06/03/its-time-to-bust-police-unions/?amp&__twitter_impression=true
    We call that "Professional Courtesy".  They get to park wherever, speed wherever, drink and drive.  I get it.

Some states a cop will flash a badge and it means nothing though.  My cousin tried that in Virginia and still got a ticket.
  • Options
    Busting the unions isn't a good idea though.  They are trying to break the teachers union too which I don't like.

The unions need to clean their own houses and we would get better results.
  • Options
    I said this somewhere else too, we need to show Law Enforcement some love.  With everything going on it looks like it's war on the police and it shouldn't be about that.  
  • Options
    Now is not the time.  There are times when certain professions deserve applause at 7 every night, etc.
    Please concentrate on what matters right now, ending police brutality, assisting minorities to gain equality, ensuring that you actively pursue assisting and encouraging people to vote.  I’m not fighting with you, it’s not for me to change how you feel about the police, just asking that you and everyone remain vigilant about correcting the problems we face right now. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    I have asked what I consider good local police officers that are friends and family members of mine the same question as to what I am going to ask here and have never really gotten a good response. If there are only a few bad apples in the police force why are the good ones allowing the bad ones to tarnish their name and drag them in the mud too? Why are they not policing each other and calling the bad cops out more often? In my field of work if someone is not doing their job safely or putting someones else's life on the line that shit is called out immediately and the problem is fixed one way or another whether through retraining or suspension/being fired. Why are cops not able to control their own? It honestly baffles me. 
    I think the biggest part is the fraternity that comes from the union. It permeates everything - for example, I have an LEO buddy who has gotten out of drunk driving more than once by flashing his badge to the cop who pulled him over. That's the subtext behind the thin blue line iconography - from flags to bumper stickers.

https://reason.com/2020/06/03/its-time-to-bust-police-unions/?amp&__twitter_impression=true
    We call that "Professional Courtesy".  They get to park wherever, speed wherever, drink and drive.  I get it.

Some states a cop will flash a badge and it means nothing though.  My cousin tried that in Virginia and still got a ticket.
    You get it, as in you agree with it?
    Or just that you are aware of it? 

• Options
    Now is not the time.  There are times when certain professions deserve applause at 7 every night, etc.
    Please concentrate on what matters right now, ending police brutality, assisting minorities to gain equality, ensuring that you actively pursue assisting and encouraging people to vote.  I’m not fighting with you, it’s not for me to change how you feel about the police, just asking that you and everyone remain vigilant about correcting the problems we face right now. 
    I'm all for the change too, I just don't want the baby thrown out with the bathwater.  That is how innocent people get hurt.
  • Options
    I'm all for the change too, I just don't want the baby thrown out with the bathwater.  That is how innocent people get hurt.
    Innocent people are being hurt, that's why all this hullabaloo is going on.  George Floyd should be alive.  Breona Taylor should be alive.  Philando Castille should be alive.  The list goes on and on and on, and it's a hell of a lot longer (and more innocent) than the list on the other side.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,623
    People are seriously saying get rid of police?   
  • Options
    For sure I hear you...I have a real issue with (as a former officer posted on here) the attitudes and control issues officers have. But seeing so many officers join the protesters gives me hope.  I just don’t think the majority of protesters want to hear about showing love to the police right now.  In fact, I think black Americans are more forgiving than white Americans or at least they forgive sooner out of their fear of god and knowing that forgiveness is the ultimate show of loving everyone. The easiest way to earn respect and trust is to give it. I think both of these are missing on both sides. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Does it matter either way?

I am aware of it obviously.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Innocent people are being hurt, that's why all this hullabaloo is going on.  George Floyd should be alive.  Breona Taylor should be alive.  Philando Castille should be alive.  The list goes on and on and on, and it's a hell of a lot longer (and more innocent) than the list on the other side.
    So out goes the baby then, got it.
  • Options
    So let’s all not forget that all humans started in Africa.  Each of us are genetically 4% African. I addressed this previously in a post somewhere but thought it needed posted again. And man have people been posting about these subjects for a long time on this forum yet we still have no change. 

Also, two of the four officers charged are themselves minorities. Are they bullied into assisting the “bad” police? And if so not only does it make them cowards but they should be more ashamed because they know better.

I watched an officer (don’t know if he or she was black white or purple) yank a black officer to his feet when he decided to kneel with the protesters. 
    They (bully cops) just keep violating minorities civil rights even when they’re officers. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Does it matter if you think police should have the "professional courtesy" to break the law and drive drunk?
    Um, yeah, it matters lol
    That's a position that drains any credibility on the topic just as quickly as advocating for violence against police.
  • Options
    Busting the unions isn't a good idea though.  They are trying to break the teachers union too which I don't like.

That would be welcome but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who believe that's happening anytime soon 

• Options
    rgambs said:
    So out goes the baby then, got it.
    Nope, you don't got it.  You minimized the suffering at the hands of police by speaking of people getting hurt as if it is some future prospect that will occur IF people don't lighten up on police.  The fact that I reminded you is that they are already getting hurt. 
    If you want to pretend that's me, lending support to a "war on police", then you can, but it's not your best work. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Does it matter if you think police should have the "professional courtesy" to break the law and drive drunk?
    Um, yeah, it matters lol
    That's a position that drains any credibility on the topic just as quickly as advocating for violence against police.
    pjl44 said:

That would be welcome but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who believe that's happening anytime soon 

I lumped you both together here for this.

I will never forget watching the NYPD turn their backs on De Blasio, literally turn their backs when he spoke at a fallen cops funeral.  That was no time for politics.

That being said maybe busting the union wouldn't be a bad idea but it will never happen.  They are powerful and they get special perks for being a cop that I disagree with heavily where at the same time I want good cops protected and not lumped in with all the bad ones but it may be a losing battle.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Um, yeah, it matters lol
    pjl44 said:

I will never forget watching the NYPD turn their backs on De Blasio, literally turn their backs when he spoke at a fallen cops funeral.  That was no time for politics.

That being said maybe busting the union wouldn't be a bad idea but it will never happen.  They are powerful and they get special perks for being a cop that I disagree with heavily where at the same time I want good cops protected and not lumped in with all the bad ones but it may be a losing battle.
    When good cops stop protecting bad cops then they will not be lumped with them. Easier said then done with decades of this shit going on.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Um, yeah, it matters lol
    pjl44 said:

When good cops stop protecting bad cops then they will not be lumped with them. Easier said then done with decades of this shit going on.
    That is a great question to ask LEO's actually.
  • Options
    I'm sure everybody has noticed that the young protesters are so enthusiastic and full of hope. I saw one black girl address Trump as "sir" when she wanted to say something to him on tv. She knew that if she went home and wasn't respectful, no matter who it was about, then she'd get slapped up side the head (not literally, figuratively). 

And then there's the talks and interviews with the older black athletes, community leaders, etc....And there's despair and hope is a fainting memory and you can hear it in their voices.  They've heard it all before...400 years worth, so what is different now? 

Young adults and teenagers seem to get it.  Maybe that means parents are finally emphasizing the importance of peace.  I'm sure some are still influenced by racist parents, but the majority of them seem to lean more to the peaceful side. 

If they all vote, then they will be responsible for the change.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    You get killed just for living in your American Skin

https://youtu.be/MiC68406c3M
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,531
    This happens 3 days after George Floyd?

https://youtu.be/LHx-LH9mFOg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    You get killed just for living in your American Skin

https://youtu.be/MiC68406c3M
    Excellent choice Living Colour as Cory Glover showing some real emotions in that song. 

Peace 
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,347

If they all vote, then they will be responsible for the change.
    Then expect status quo.
    They just don't vote.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    You can sue for a wrongful death case, no?

I hear about departments being sued all the time so I am not sure what difference this would bring about rather than people suing because they think their rights are being abused or were rather.

What am I missing?
This discussion has been closed.