Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Well, home from work. TV on  and ready to see what tonight brings..geezz..this is so fucked up..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    Does taunting police warrant groups being maced? I do not believe so imo. 

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Somehow the Washington team's name seems a little at odds with this show of solidarity.

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1267918269798850563

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    PJNB said:

WTF indeed!  How do people like this get to be cops?   If they can't control themselves over a little taunting they are in the wrong line of work.  Fire these worthless sons of bitches.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

WTF indeed!  How do people like this get to be cops?   If they can't control themselves over a little taunting they are in the wrong line of work.  Fire these worthless sons of bitches.
    I am really curious what their instructions are from their higher ups with these kinds of things. Was this guy a higher up taking the lead or are these guys going on their own knowing there is very little repercussions so far for bad behavior. 

You would think the leaderships guidance would be take the verbal abuse from the peaceful protesters. Suck it up and earn respect back from the public. Not this. This is causing more anger. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

I am really curious what their instructions are from their higher ups with these kinds of things. Was this guy a higher up taking the lead or are these guys going on their own knowing there is very little repercussions so far for bad behavior. 

You would think the leaderships guidance would be take the verbal abuse from the peaceful protesters. Suck it up and earn respect back from the public. Not this. This is causing more anger. 
    It’s mind boggling. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 
    It looks bad from the segment we're shown, which is why I hate social media. We never get to see everything, not that it would justify what happened, but it may indicate what led to them moving in. I can't quite tell what the male does with his left hand right before they act. Maybe flips them off, maybe makes an obscene gesture, no idea. Still excessive if that's all he did.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,316
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 
    It looks bad from the segment we're shown, which is why I hate social media. We never get to see everything, not that it would justify what happened, but it may indicate what led to them moving in. I can't quite tell what the male does with his left hand right before they act. Maybe flips them off, maybe makes an obscene gesture, no idea. Still excessive if that's all he did.
    It was posted for a knee jerk reaction.  The cops right now are all on edge and so are the people.  You want to protest then protest.  Leave the cops alone.
    Excessive?  Maybe. But like said above you don't know what else happened.

I always think of a Jello Biafra quote "when you ape the cops it's not anarchy"

On another note whomever posted that Kareem piece thank you.  He is one of the more thought provoking atheletes out there.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 
    It was posted for a knee jerk reaction.  The cops right now are all on edge and so are the people.  You want to protest then protest.  Leave the cops alone.

On another note whomever posted that Kareem piece thank you.  He is one of the more thought provoking atheletes out there.
    The cops inaction in self policing doesn’t provide them any room for error here. Too many videos like that. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    There is a teen pushing a basketball hoop around Philly to help break tension ... this seems so silly it may just work, but if you had cops out playing ball in the cities, there is camaraderie in sports.  Anyone who has played knows that they have built trust with strangers on their team quickly.  I'm sure there would be a list of cops willing to shoot hoops on the clock and you are out there connecting with the age group that mistrusts you the most.  It could help bring down the division.  The cop no longer sees a perp.   A kid no longer sees a racist out to get them.  Over time.  Trust can be rebuilt.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    There is a teen pushing a basketball hoop around Philly to help break tension ... this seems so silly it may just work, but if you had cops out playing ball in the cities, there is camaraderie in sports.  Anyone who has played knows that they have built trust with strangers on their team quickly.  I'm sure there would be a list of cops willing to shoot hoops on the clock and you are out there connecting with the age group that mistrusts you the most.  It could help bring down the division.  The cop no longer sees a perp.   A kid no longer sees a racist out to get them.  Over time.  Trust can be rebuilt.
    Like this sort of?
    https://www.today.com/news/florida-basketball-cop-brings-shaquille-o-neal-backup-game-local-t68806

It's an old story but worth repeating.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Like this sort of?
    https://www.today.com/news/florida-basketball-cop-brings-shaquille-o-neal-backup-game-local-t68806

I was thinking bigger picture.  Good for Shaq, but mayors could be setting up city tournaments to be played at night ... like, all night ... if everyone is going to be up all night anyway, do something positive.  Parades are OK for the moment, but no one walks away from a parade feeling like they trust each other.

I think any leader of any city could have this set up by tomorrow evening.  There are thousands of youth league organizers out there doing nothing that could probably have lighting, seating, and concessions ready in 48 hrs.  A week of scrimmage and then a one week NCAA style tourney.  

• Options
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 

Knee jerk reaction? Are you serious? That's why this was posted? I mean there is no way it was due to peaceful protests happening and people getting maced right? Gotta be the knee jerk reaction for sure cause who knows what happened before this video started. That seems to be the easy out lately defending certain police actions. You even heard it with George Floyds death which was disgusting imo. 

Also you say to leave the cops alone. You know what this is all about do you not? If they are on edge and can not take some taunting from a fed up human being then they chose the wrong profession. 

Also the left hand thing is clearly done after they moved in on him and was a reaction to that happening like oh great here they come. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,730
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:
    Things getting better everyday there..sorry for my sarcasm..

https://youtu.be/nr1WwyKDFQs

LOL,  "stupidest mother fuckers I've ever seen..."
    Honestly, seemed like the FBI guy wanted itntongondpwn that way. Sounded like the cops were acting off a complaint and didn’t lose their cool or anything and at any time he could have showed his ID, instead he refuses and when they reach for it he says “wait until they see this.”
    Yeah, he wanted it to go down that way.  He wanted it to go down that way because those cops are full of shit and they don't give a fuck about his rights.  Once again, police have free reign to be antagonistic, but we citizens are supposed to just play along like good little subjects.  What you choose to comment on when you see this is telling...
    So you agree with me then criticize me for the same comment? Ok.
    How you know the cops are full of shit? Maybe they are, maybe not, I don’t know what this video. Not really much to go on in that video unless you just assume all cops are full of shit.
    They are full of shit and you know it, they don't have any evidence that this man committed a crime, and they detain him because he doesn't kiss their ass enough.  People have rights, whether you like it or not.  This man did not violate any law and his physical sovereignty was violated for no reason, whatsoever.  Again, that your reaction is to criticize HIM and not THEM speaks volumes about what you think about Constitutional rights.
    I wasn’t criticizing the FBI guy. I made a comment that was how he intended it to happen. Maybe he did it that way to prove a point, I don’t know. All I said was he controlled the situation and it happened the way he wanted it too. Don’t know why you jump to all these conclusions.
    I believe that his point..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,218
    edited June 2020
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    Like this sort of?

I was thinking bigger picture.  Good for Shaq, but mayors could be setting up city tournaments to be played at night ... like, all night ... if everyone is going to be up all night anyway, do something positive.  Parades are OK for the moment, but no one walks away from a parade feeling like they trust each other.

I think any leader of any city could have this set up by tomorrow evening.  There are thousands of youth league organizers out there doing nothing that could probably have lighting, seating, and concessions ready in 48 hrs.  A week of scrimmage and then a one week NCAA style tourney.  

The problem with that is other than protests all other gatherings are frowned upon due to the pandemic that pretty much got shelved this last week.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    JW269453 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    Like this sort of?

The problem with that is other than protests all other gatherings are frowned upon due to the pandemic that pretty much got shelved this last week.
    a conundrum!  yes indeed.  But one of the negative outcomes is already an outcome ... lack of social distancing combined with tear gas means everyone out there is technically quarantined together ...  without question they can be playing basketball together.  All logic dictates this is possible.
  • Options
    So what happens if you are arrested after curfew peacefully protesting does anyone know? Is this a permanent mark on these peoples lives? Really curious since it seems more and more arrests are happening right now especially in NYC. Looks like a couple of hundred just got rounded up. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 

Knee jerk reaction? Are you serious? That's why this was posted? I mean there is no way it was due to peaceful protests happening and people getting maced right? Gotta be the knee jerk reaction for sure cause who knows what happened before this video started. That seems to be the easy out lately defending certain police actions. You even heard it with George Floyds death which was disgusting imo. 

Also you say to leave the cops alone. You know what this is all about do you not? If they are on edge and can not take some taunting from a fed up human being then they chose the wrong profession. 

Also the left hand thing is clearly done after they moved in on him and was a reaction to that happening like oh great here they come. 
    Knee jerk, yes.

Everyone condemns the cops right off the bat, no one gives them any benefit of the doubt.

It's like it's open season on them again.  4 cops shot in st.louis?  I'd be on edge.

I don't always agree with what cops do but this didn't move the needle for me.

The idiot cop driving by and macing the people?  That is something I condemn.  That person should be fired.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,218
    Jason P said:
    JW269453 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    Like this sort of?

a conundrum!  yes indeed.  But one of the negative outcomes is already an outcome ... lack of social distancing combined with tear gas means everyone out there is technically quarantined together ...  without question be playing basketball together.  All logic dictates this is possible.
    All of these protests are ultimately a litmus test for what is possible moving forward, as far as the virus is concerned. We will see what the numbers look like in a couple of weeks and hopefully see that organized events like the one you suggest are closer to being a real possibility. We could all use something that resembles normalcy.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    PJNB said:
    So what happens if you are arrested after curfew peacefully protesting does anyone know? Is this a permanent mark on these peoples lives? Really curious since it seems more and more arrests are happening right now especially in NYC. Looks like a couple of hundred just got rounded up. 
    A reporter last night said most are getting ticketed and released. I haven’t fact checked that, but that’s what I would expect. They don’t have room to hold the number of people out past curfew beyond a few hours. 
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 

The cops inaction in self policing doesn’t provide them any room for error here. Too many videos like that. 
    Agree completely. If the public is confident in how they hold their own accountable, we'd give a pretty wide berth on self defense given how dangerous the job is. The reason they feel like people are turning on them is because we have almost no confidence that the first part is happening. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    my down the street neighbor had one of those thin blue line flags hanging from his house last week. yesterday, as i was working in the yard i witnessed a crew install not one, but two flagpoles in the front yard. when i drove home from dinner last night, i noticed that he now has two large thin blue line flags flying. one from each pole. i thought it was weird that they were still up on the pole at night. then i thought it would be a shame if someone ran those poles down with their car, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    my down the street neighbor had one of those thin blue line flags hanging from his house last week. yesterday, as i was working in the yard i witnessed a crew install not one, but two flagpoles in the front yard. when i drove home from dinner last night, i noticed that he now has two large thin blue line flags flying. one from each pole. i thought it was weird that they were still up on the pole at night. then i thought it would be a shame if someone ran those poles down with their car, haha.
    Kind of weird to vilify an entire work force. Easy to bash them until you need them to save your life. Imagine every time a teacher sexually molests a minor , we looked at every teacher in that light. I think hanging a blue line flag and a BLM flag would have been a real statement. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Bet the person inside that house is hoping for someone to try and mess with those flags.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Bet the person inside that house is hoping for someone to try and mess with those flags.
    The old bait and shoot.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    I would also roll my eyes at someone flying blue line flags right now, but we don't need to start posting our violent fan fiction 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    pjl44 said:
    I would also roll my eyes at someone flying blue line flags right now, but we don't need to start posting our violent fan fiction 
    Exactly. And adding another flag was definitely being instigative. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 

Agree completely. If the public is confident in how they hold their own accountable, we'd give a pretty wide berth on self defense given how dangerous the job is. The reason they feel like people are turning on them is because we have almost no confidence that the first part is happening. 
    Powerful statement.  It made me think and I thank you for that.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:

It’s mind boggling. 

Powerful statement.  It made me think and I thank you for that.
    I appreciate your saying that. I really hope some change comes out of this moment.
This discussion has been closed.