Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,378

Mario is looting? Anybody seen Luigi?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    Officers been shot, ran over. Countless businesses looted. Fires galore, neighborhoods getting very nervous. Businesses boarding up every night. When will this end? How will it end? When do these stories start to overshadow the real issue of police brutality? How are police supposed to even stand up to these looters? What a shame and it’s disgraceful. To have to listen to the victims family beg people to stop and tell them how he was a gentle giant and wouldn’t want this is so sad. 
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.
    So one tweet from one newly created Twitter account and they don't tell us how many followers it had. This is chum for people who want to peddle in conspiracy theories rather than accept what's happening in the streets. There is no puppet master. You have a bunch of groups with disparate politics who thrive on chaos and are co-opting a movement.

There is a real opportunity to make some change to how police operate and I worry that we just can't keep our eyes on the ball.
    Doesn't matter how many followers it had. It was set up as a screenshot opportunity and then circulated widely - wide enough that it even popped up here, two pages back.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,416
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.
    So one tweet from one newly created Twitter account and they don't tell us how many followers it had. This is chum for people who want to peddle in conspiracy theories rather than accept what's happening in the streets. There is no puppet master. You have a bunch of groups with disparate politics who thrive on chaos and are co-opting a movement.

There is a real opportunity to make some change to how police operate and I worry that we just can't keep our eyes on the ball.
    Doesn't matter how many followers it had. It was set up as a screenshot opportunity and then circulated widely - wide enough that it even popped up here, two pages back.
    Which post? I can't find it.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    nicknyr15 said:
    Officers been shot, ran over. Countless businesses looted. Fires galore, neighborhoods getting very nervous. Businesses boarding up every night. When will this end? How will it end? When do these stories start to overshadow the real issue of police brutality? How are police supposed to even stand up to these looters? What a shame and it’s disgraceful. To have to listen to the victims family beg people to stop and tell them how he was a gentle giant and wouldn’t want this is so sad. 
    It won't ever end as long as people are more concerned with property damage than innocent dead black people.  It will just die down only to flare up again in a few years.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:
    Things getting better everyday there..sorry for my sarcasm..

https://youtu.be/nr1WwyKDFQs

LOL,  "stupidest mother fuckers I've ever seen..."
    Honestly, seemed like the FBI guy wanted itntongondpwn that way. Sounded like the cops were acting off a complaint and didn’t lose their cool or anything and at any time he could have showed his ID, instead he refuses and when they reach for it he says “wait until they see this.”
    Yeah, he wanted it to go down that way.  He wanted it to go down that way because those cops are full of shit and they don't give a fuck about his rights.  Once again, police have free reign to be antagonistic, but we citizens are supposed to just play along like good little subjects.  What you choose to comment on when you see this is telling...
    So you agree with me then criticize me for the same comment? Ok.
    How you know the cops are full of shit? Maybe they are, maybe not, I don’t know what this video. Not really much to go on in that video unless you just assume all cops are full of shit.
    They are full of shit and you know it, they don't have any evidence that this man committed a crime, and they detain him because he doesn't kiss their ass enough.  People have rights, whether you like it or not.  This man did not violate any law and his physical sovereignty was violated for no reason, whatsoever.  Again, that your reaction is to criticize HIM and not THEM speaks volumes about what you think about Constitutional rights.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    I live in St Paul (5 story condo on An arterial) and plan to already be out of town (or at least have the car packed) when the verdict comes.  If he’s acquitted it’s going to be 10 times worse.  If he’s only convicted of manslaughter it will start over.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:

It “only” had a few hundred “followers.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/antifa-fake-twitter-account/index.html

Although the account only had a few hundred followers, it is an example of white supremacists seeking to inflame tensions in the United States by posing as left-wing activists online. 

The phenomenon of people on the right creating fake Antifa accounts predates the current wave of protests. The takedown Monday is not the first time a fake Antifa account linked to white supremacists has been suspended by Twitter, the spokesperson confirmed.

But you know, it doesn't matter who said it because they're all the same. "American Identitarian Movement?" Is that like gaysagainstpete? Being a "movement" and all?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,416
    The Washington Post does a good job of laying out the complexities of violence and looting in multiple cities. It really is a stew of every chaos agent, from highly coordinated to extremely loose. Much more informative than Look At This Bad Twitter Account.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/protests-white-instigators/2020/06/01/b916bd98-a426-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html#click=https://t.co/p9xHrOhnLn
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,443
    If you get the chance listen to Royce White on CNN
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,443
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

Honestly, seemed like the FBI guy wanted itntongondpwn that way. Sounded like the cops were acting off a complaint and didn’t lose their cool or anything and at any time he could have showed his ID, instead he refuses and when they reach for it he says “wait until they see this.”
    Yeah, he wanted it to go down that way.  He wanted it to go down that way because those cops are full of shit and they don't give a fuck about his rights.  Once again, police have free reign to be antagonistic, but we citizens are supposed to just play along like good little subjects.  What you choose to comment on when you see this is telling...
    How you know the cops are full of shit? Maybe they are, maybe not, I don’t know what this video. Not really much to go on in that video unless you just assume all cops are full of shit.
    They are full of shit and you know it, they don't have any evidence that this man committed a crime, and they detain him because he doesn't kiss their ass enough.  People have rights, whether you like it or not.  This man did not violate any law and his physical sovereignty was violated for no reason, whatsoever.  Again, that your reaction is to criticize HIM and not THEM speaks volumes about what you think about Constitutional rights.
    You're right.  That's exactly what Royce White talks about.  I haven't cried in a long time but after this....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,157
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

So I have seen this video a few times and tried to watch it through both lenses.  I can honestly see both perspectives on this one.  However, the overriding question is, why did the police engage?  I don't see in the video if they asked him his name or asked to see his id and he refused to give it to them...did they?  Did he refuse?

It's tough to think you may need to show "your papers" but if they asked to see his idea AND if he literally resembled the description of someone with a warrant is it unreasonable to have to show your ID?  I don't know.

Seems to me that police engaging when they don't need to causes a whole lot of problems.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,136
    My new license plate came in yesterday, it only took 3and a half months. Its themed after John Lennon.......

IMAGINE .....in small print below....

STY HUMN.....have any idea what that is?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    g under p said:
    My new license plate came in yesterday, it only took 3and a half months. Its themed after John Lennon.......

Peace

Michael Franti fan :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    It won't ever end as long as people are more concerned with property damage than innocent dead black people.  It will just die down only to flare up again in a few years.
    Can’t be concerned with both? A cop being shot in the back of the head execution style not concerning? Cops being beaten violently not concerning? A women beaten by a mob of protestors for trying to protect her business? Not concerning? Absolute lawlessness on the streets every night not concerning? A covid-19 spike?  Is this stuff happening near you? I’m not more concerned with one or the other. ALL of this is concerning. Why do I have to be so firmly planted on only one side? The whole thing sucks. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Michael Franti fan :)
    Lol, he's my friend. I had the same plate in MD. I showed it to him after a show in DC and he loved it.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    These animals that come out at night are overshadowing the mostly non violent protests that are happening before sundown. And it fucking sucks. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Can’t be concerned with both? A cop being shot in the back of the head execution style not concerning? Cops being beaten violently not concerning? A women beaten by a mob of protestors for trying to protect her business? Not concerning? Absolute lawlessness on the streets every night not concerning? A covid-19 spike?  Is this stuff happening near you? I’m not more concerned with one or the other. ALL of this is concerning. Why do I have to be so firmly planted on only one side? The whole thing sucks. 
    True, all are concerning, but there will be an end to all of those issues within the next few weeks to months. Racial disparity and inequity will still be going strong though.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    True, all are concerning, but there will be an end to all of those issues within the next few weeks to months. Racial disparity and inequity will still be going strong though.
    I hear you. So then all of this will be meaningless. Which then makes it suck even more, if that’s even possible. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,413
    PJNB said:
    If you are a camera person and the police move people back you'd better move.

Was it right, No but you can't just stay somewhere when they are clearing an area.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,047
    PJNB said:

Was it right, No but you can't just stay somewhere when they are clearing an area.
    First why are they clearing the area of peaceful protesters? Second they were standing still not being pushed back for quite some time in that video. The cops then pushed forward and attacked them and one camerperson was punched in the face just standing there. Are you really saying that ya its not right what the cops are doing but you should listen to them anyway? Where should they have gone? How far back is good enough? Why was where they were standing not good enough? 
  • Options

Painful to watch. I realize that cops are coming into a situation that they do not know what is going on but this is almost like a parody skit on SNL. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,413
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

First why are they clearing the area of peaceful protesters? Second they were standing still not being pushed back for quite some time in that video. The cops then pushed forward and attacked them and one camerperson was punched in the face just standing there. Are you really saying that ya its not right what the cops are doing but you should listen to them anyway? Where should they have gone? How far back is good enough? Why was where they were standing not good enough? 
    Cop hit the camera, not their face from what I can see?

I wasn't there but I find it hard to believe that the cops blitzed on them for no reason.  Something always ignites something.

I would prefer the cops to put down the riot gear.  It sends a better message towards the crowd but I don't know abut any of this anymore.  I am starting to believe that agitators are placed in the crowds to start shit and make people look bad.

I just don't know anymore.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

"itntongondpwn"  I had to have my computer add that to my dictionary.  Cool word!  (But, how do you pronounce it?)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Cop hit the camera, not their face from what I can see?

I wasn't there but I find it hard to believe that the cops blitzed on them for no reason.  Something always ignites something.

I would prefer the cops to put down the riot gear.  It sends a better message towards the crowd but I don't know abut any of this anymore.  I am starting to believe that agitators are placed in the crowds to start shit and make people look bad.

I just don't know anymore.
    What ignited this act of aggression was a photo op nothing more. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:

This.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Because unless you deal with the underlying problem the secondary result will continue to happen.  It is tragic that this has devolved into so much violence and a lot of it is inexcusable.  The main root cause is years of systemic racism at every level.  Policing, hiring, redlining, college admissions etc.  if we(USA) don’t fix that these situations will continue and likely get worse.  You can absolutely be concerned with both, I am. It’s very hard to not see what has caused things to get to this level, it’s not just outside agitators and “antifa”. People are pissed and have had enough.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    Regarding the Park clearing in DC...wouldn't normal people have announced with a bullhorn that this area needs to be cleared for a few hours...thank you for your cooperation. Why didn't the authorities act normal? ...act with authority in a respectful way? It's too much to ask because the clearing wasn't the point...it was the DOMINATION and the abuse of citizens.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    What Happens If NFL Players Return to Kneeling in Games in the 2020 Season?

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-if-nfl-players-return-to-kneeling-at-games-213154269.html

It’s not a coincidence that the reaction to Floyd’s death has been far greater and far more diverse than before.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Because unless you deal with the underlying problem the secondary result will continue to happen.  It is tragic that this has devolved into so much violence and a lot of it is inexcusable.  The main root cause is years of systemic racism at every level.  Policing, hiring, redlining, college admissions etc.  if we(USA) don’t fix that these situations will continue and likely get worse.  You can absolutely be concerned with both, I am. It’s very hard to not see what has caused things to get to this level, it’s not just outside agitators and “antifa”. People are pissed and have had enough.  
    Thank you for your response. 👍🏼
This discussion has been closed.