Options

Poland shall not be forgotten or official 13th June Chorzow/Katowice show thread

Comments

• Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Looks good. Cheers matey.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    VinManVinMan Chicago Posts: 12
    Saw this thread and thought I'd join in. I don't post here often, but I am a long time PJ fan (40+shows, first being 4-3-94 Atlanta) that will be going to this show and wanted to participate. My girlfriend is from Novy Targ and has family there, so that's where we'll be camped (this is the only show we'll be going to this tour). This will be her first PJ experience.

First, I cannot wait to visit Poland. I've only visited England, Wales and France in Europe (during the 2000 tour) and have never been to Eastern Europe. I look forward to communicating with and, perhaps, meeting up with the "locals" and other PJ-minded folks arriving for the show.

I ordered tix through ticketpro.pl in the reserved section 27. I am a 10C member, however thought best to have reserved seats since I'll be with my g/f. Question, do you think PJ can sell out such a large venue in PL? I doubt they could do that here in the States, and I recall them playing small venues last time in Katowice. Just curious, not sure if other major acts might be on the bill. Also, I wonder where our seats are. My confirmation email states:

Miejsce / Seat(s): Stadion slaski/3/27/1/21 --> Pocet/ Count: 1

Not sure what the row/seat number is on that, I assume 27 is the section.

Thanks for reading this, I really look forward to the show and communicating with others that will be attending. fyi, I will be taking Polish language lessons so I can communicate with my girlfriend's family better, as well as assist me when we arrive. Have a great evening, look forward to hearing from you all!

Vince
  • Options
    tymonnomyt wrote:
    there is a flight from munich to krakow/balice (60 km from katowice) 13.06 in the morning at a reasonable price but the condition is that you buy a return ticket (krakow->munich->krakow). it costs 700 pln which is roughly 175 euro.
    a one way ticket from munich to krakow is much more expensive (4000 pln = 1000 euro).
    Thanks! Also, do you know how far the hotel Ibis is from the stadium?
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    impressive

I want to go

roubal wrote:
    Ok, to keep all the information on the Polish show in one place, let's start a new thread.

Bartek of pearljam.pl made a very good effort of putting some important information together at:
    http://www.pearljam.pl/index.php/news/view/title/the_show_in_poland

Additionally, if you intend to fly in to Poland for the show, use:

- Centralwings (http://www.centralwings.pl) for: Scotland and Ireland to Katowice; London, Ireland or Italy to Krakow; London, Ireland or Italy to Wroclaw; various European cities to Warsaw.

- Easyjet (http://www.easyjet.pl) for: UK to Krakow or Warsaw

- Wizzair (http://www.wizzair.com) for: various European cities to Katowice or Warsaw

- Skyeurope (http://www.skyeurope.pl) for: various European cities to Krakow

- Ryanair (http://www.ryanair.com) for: UK and Ireland to Krakow, Dublin to Warsaw.

Katowice airport is about 10-15 km from the Silesian Stadium. Krakow (rent a car and drive straight 80 km motorway, toll of about 3 euro; or take a train) is about 80 km, Warsaw is 300 km.

If you want to stay for a day or two or three and do some sightseeing, do NOT stay in Chorzow/Katowice. Choose Krakow or Warsaw instead.

The Silesian Stadium is about 5km from the Katowice train station, check out http://www.tagzania.com/item/13132 (scroll the map to the up left).

There is a 1am train from Katowice to Krakow (http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en?) if you want to go back there straight after the show. While in Krakow, there are plenty of hostels to choose from (http://www.hostelworld.com).

One more important notice: it is illegal to drink alcohol on a street in Poland. If you get caught by the police while doing it, you'll get fined. Gotta hide your bottle or can.

If you have any questions, ASK.
  • Options
    Ok so I booked this hotel http://www.hotel-chorzow.pl/?id=en, apparently it's 200 metres from the stadium so I won't have to worry about travelling on my own after the concert! :) The contact details are on that page.

I'm not going anywhere before or after the concert, so I was going to spend a few days in Krakow, or Cracow! Then go to Chorzow on the 12th via train or something.

I can fly with wizz air & get a 1pm flight back to London, which will be lovely! Just need to book now...
  • Options
    Thanks! Also, do you know how far the hotel Ibis is from the stadium?
    i suppose you booked a room in the Ibis hotel which is located in Zabrze, not in Katowice. Am I right? If yes, then you will have to take a tramp or bus from Zabrze center to Chorzow. It's 15-km distance and may take you like 30 minutes.
  • Options
    Hi, as ive got my flight to katowice would any polish fans recommend or think i would be better travelling to krakow for the day and night of the 12th and then travelling back to katowice for the gig on 13th? from what ive heard/read katowice is not up to much in terms of things to do/see for a day and i would be better taking in a bit of the krakow culture on my short trip to poland rather than spending it in a industrial part of the country. any ideas would be greatly received (particularly from polish fans rather than fellow tourists), thanks
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    karolakarola Posts: 39
    VinMan wrote:
    I ordered tix through ticketpro.pl in the reserved section 27. I am a 10C member, however thought best to have reserved seats since I'll be with my g/f. Question, do you think PJ can sell out such a large venue in PL? I doubt they could do that here in the States, and I recall them playing small venues last time in Katowice. Just curious, not sure if other major acts might be on the bill. Also, I wonder where our seats are. My confirmation email states:

Miejsce / Seat(s): Stadion slaski/3/27/1/21 --> Pocet/ Count: 1

Not sure what the row/seat number is on that, I assume 27 is the section.
    Vince

I am actually shocked they decided to play at such a big venue. honestly don't think it's gonna sell out (so do buy the tickets, dear foreigners! :) )maybe someone lied to them about the capacity of the place or seeing all of us wearing 'you forgot poland' T-shirts last year they thought there's 70.000 of us ;) so that would be my fault, among others, hehe
    it did however seel out quick for u2 - but pearl jam isn't a commercial band like them so again: doubt it.
    as to your seats - I'm not sure it's either section 27 row 21, or the other way round... but then what do 3 and 1 stand for? boggles the mind...
    have a good stay in poland! :)

super vedder: if you have enough time to go to krakow then yes, I'd recommend staying there rather than in katowice.
    1996: warsaw; 1998: kansas city; 2000: katowice x 2
    2006: bologna, verona, torino, prague, vienna
    2007: chorzow
  • Options
    karola wrote:
    super vedder: if you have enough time to go to krakow then yes, I'd recommend staying there rather than in katowice.

thats the thing, im not sure if i do have enough time, i get to katowice at 11.25 am on the 12th, not sure if its worth the travelling to krakow or i should just stay in katowice! ooh choices choices hey???
  • Options
    thats the thing, im not sure if i do have enough time, i get to katowice at 11.25 am on the 12th, not sure if its worth the travelling to krakow or i should just stay in katowice! ooh choices choices hey???

yeah, decisions, decisions, decisions... ;)
    I'd go. train ride is 1,5 hours and I guess it's worth it.
  • Options
    Go to Krakow, visit Wawel and spend the evening at the city square.
  • Options
    Would just like to say this thread is very good.
    I have decided to try and go to the Katowice show. I can get cheap flights from glasgow to krakow. Is it still possible to get tickets to the show. Do they send them to my home in scotland or do i pick them up there?
    Where do i get tickets?
  • Options
    Would just like to say this thread is very good.
    I have decided to try and go to the Katowice show. I can get cheap flights from glasgow to krakow. Is it still possible to get tickets to the show. Do they send them to my home in scotland or do i pick them up there?
    Where do i get tickets?

http://www.ticketpro.pl
    they send tickets here in poland so I guess they send them abroad too. I'm sure the info's on their site. plus someone here has already bought tickets through them so maybe they'll answer your question.
  • Options
    NickrandNickrand Posts: 140
    Ok so I booked this hotel http://www.hotel-chorzow.pl/?id=en, apparently it's 200 metres from the stadium so I won't have to worry about travelling on my own after the concert! :) The contact details are on that page.

I booked this one too given its location. Cost is 35 EUR per night and includes breakfast. Sounds like there still are rooms available, but they'll probably go fast.
    '00 Detroit; '03 Detroit I MSG II Boston III; '04 Toledo Grand Rapids; '05 Thunder Bay Kitchener London; '06 Arnhem Barcelona Marseille Prague Berlin; '07 Chorzow London Duesseldorf Copenhagen Nijmegen Lollapalooza; '08 EV LA II EV SD I DC MSG I/II EV Montreal I/II EV Toronto I/II EV Chicago I/II; '09 EV Memphis EV Atlanta I/II Berlin Manchester London Sydney Brisbane Auckland Christchurch; '10 Noblesville Cleveland Dublin Belfast Berlin; '11 EV Detroit EV St. Louis EV Minneapolis PJ20 I/II Winnipeg '12 Berlin I/II Stockholm Oslo '13 London Dallas '14 Berlin Stockholm Oslo Detroit
  • Options
    roubalroubal Posts: 82
    Hi, as ive got my flight to katowice would any polish fans recommend or think i would be better travelling to krakow for the day and night of the 12th and then travelling back to katowice for the gig on 13th?

Go to Krakow, even just for the evening. Katowice is boring, Krakow is a place to visit if you're a tourist.
  • Options
    roubal wrote:
    Go to Krakow, even just for the evening. Katowice is boring, Krakow is a place to visit if you're a tourist.

thanks for your input roubal, karola and bugtomek, i think i would be a fool to turn down the advice of three polish residents, Krakow it is, then back to katowice for the gig!! Seriously though, thanks for your help i appreciate it as its always a bit un-nerving going away when you dont really know where your going!!!! im sure you will all be right and a colleague of mine has just been to krakow and said it was beautiful! by the sounds of it katowice is not too good in comparison.
  • Options
    I think I might fly to Krakow a few days early to look around, do the Polish residents in this thread mind if I tap you for some information on trains, what tickets to buy etc?

• Options
    Sorted arrive at katowice Pyrzowice on 12th june at 11.25

get wizzair shuttle bus at 11.55 to krakow arrive at 13.55

http://grey.turystyka.com.pl/~wizzair/index.php

stay at krakow centrum (IBIS)

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/3710/fiche_hotel.shtml

then next morning get the shuttle bus back to katowice for gig

still undecided about staying over after the gig or just go straight to katowice Pyrzowice airport for 6.00am flight to liverpool. i will look further into travelling from stadium to airport.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    My friend is gonna double check he can get the time off work and then iam gonna book my flight and hotel.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    JOHNLFC wrote:
    Sorted arrive at katowice Pyrzowice on 12th june at 11.25

get wizzair shuttle bus at 11.55 to krakow arrive at 13.55

http://grey.turystyka.com.pl/~wizzair/index.php

stay at krakow centrum (IBIS)

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/3710/fiche_hotel.shtml

then next morning get the shuttle bus back to katowice for gig

still undecided about staying over after the gig or just go straight to katowice Pyrzowice airport for 6.00am flight to liverpool. i will look further into travelling from stadium to airport.

so youve give yourself 30 mins from landing and collecting your bag, mind you you wont have luggage as such will you? but still 30 mins from landing and getting thru passport control is a tight schedule mate! whens the next bus after that one can you remember off hand?
  • Options
    roubalroubal Posts: 82
    so youve give yourself 30 mins from landing and collecting your bag, mind you you wont have luggage as such will you? but still 30 mins from landing and getting thru passport control is a tight schedule mate! whens the next bus after that one can you remember off hand?

Katowice/Pyrzowice is a very small airport, probably serving a few planes a day. I am quite sure the bus waits for the passengers.
  • Options
    I think I might fly to Krakow a few days early to look around, do the Polish residents in this thread mind if I tap you for some information on trains, what tickets to buy etc?

fire away ;)

also, if you need advice on where to go or what to see in krakow feel free to ask - I actually live here. or maybe I should just post some info here, closer to the date?
  • Options
    roubal wrote:
    Katowice/Pyrzowice is a very small airport, probably serving a few planes a day. I am quite sure the bus waits for the passengers.

fair enough roubal, im sure you know what your talking about a lot better than i do!!!! is there a train from katowice to krakow that is close to the airport? this has probably already been told but you dont think about that until your halfway thru asking do ya??? sorry if it has..
  • Options

it didnt give options for times just that one but as above maybe the bus doesnt leave until after the flight passengers are on the bus
  • Options
    karola wrote:
    fire away ;)

also, if you need advice on where to go or what to see in krakow feel free to ask - I actually live here. or maybe I should just post some info here, closer to the date?

karola and roubal are like our polish guardian angels arent they??? its bloody marvellous having all this help at ya fingertips, thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    JOHNLFC wrote:
    it didnt give options for times just that one but as above maybe the bus doesnt leave until after the flight passengers are on the bus

yeah im sure thats right (as above, also) the funny thing is its only february and we are acting like we are leaving in two days with all this research, mind you its best to be ready and have it sorted aint it? all ive done in the last four days is sit on the pit all day at work and then most of the night when i get home, i wake up shaking with withdrawal symptons, ha ha!!!
  • Options
    i know its mad nervous and its feb then again i will be even more nervous 12.45pm on saturday. come on you reds!
  • Options
    still 30 mins sounds like too little time... but you can always just take some bus or whatever means of transport go to katowice and take a train from there to krakow. they run every hour or so.
    gosh, are you taking notes??? ;)
    still 131 days....
  • Options
    yeah im sure thats right (as above, also) the funny thing is its only february and we are acting like we are leaving in two days with all this research, mind you its best to be ready and have it sorted aint it? all ive done in the last four days is sit on the pit all day at work and then most of the night when i get home, i wake up shaking with withdrawal symptons, ha ha!!!

i have been on net none stop also dusseldorf and copenhagen aswell for me
    i am coming home after each one though

so are you going to book a hotel in krakow then goto katowice on the morning of the 13th

have you got any info for travelling after the gig back to airport ?
  • Options
    JOHNLFC wrote:
    i know its mad nervous and its feb then again i will be even more nervous 12.45pm on saturday. come on you reds!

yeah dead right, we gotta give the fuckin blue nose/blue shite a good beating after last time aint we? how good was crouchs' and kuyts goals on tuesday, reminds me of myself in my hey day, ha ha i fookin wish!